Reviews for The Promise of Life
PhoenixStargirl chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Narnia has got to be one of my favorite subjects to read fanfiction about (though it's been a while since I've read or written any). And you are an extremely talented writer at that. Your subject matter and twist with the plot make it both believable, enjoyable, and intriguing. It makes me wonder what happens when Susan is left alone on Earth to deal with these things alone after her family dies at the train accident.

Again, very nicely written. I always enjoy your work. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 10/17/2012
Quite a moving chapter! And what an interesting twist on the end of the chapter and the reason they were sent back. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

*bribes E's muse to come back to the narnia cannon.*
Voronwen chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
It came to me, as I read this, that even though Aslan didn't say it, he was probably also considering the children's parents when he sent them back through the wardrobe. Had the children stayed in Narnia, and Susan died of cancer there, what effect would that have had on the reality of WWII England?

For that matter, what if any of them had been killed in the wars that they periodically fought? We know, through your Golden Age stories, that Peter and Edmund were on the cusp of death more times than I care to count.

Would they just vanish, and be listed as missing persons, and their parents have to live with grief and despair, wondering forever what had happened to them? Would it have been as if they'd never existed (such in Lucy's nightmare in the VotDT film)?

I really like your solution, where there is grief, but still hope, in departing Narnia.

(And now my own muse-which has been silent for months-is starting to ponder a ficlet about Susan, and a moment when she remembers Aslan's promise to her from your story... hmmmm... If I do write it, I'll send it to you via PM and only post with your permission.)

Well done, dear Elecktrum! :-)
lillelouis chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Aww :) So long since your last post and this was a nice pick-me-up.
Heliopause chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
Thank you! I liked this, especially Peter and Susan's relationship - his remembered anguish about his helplessness in face of the cancer, and how when back in England its return was something he feared so much. Also their relationship to the younger two - how they protect them from the knowledge which would be too perplexing for them.

And I very much liked the depiction of Susan's gentleness, here - the way you expand it into temperance and fortitude and especially generosity of heart, as in "[Peter] having set out to make me laugh and I let him succeed".

(I do think Aslan's reasoning's a bit shaky, though, when presumably he could have just let the White Stag's wish take the cancer away, or have taken it away himself. He made Reepicheep's tail grow again.)
basaltone chapter 1 . 5/12/2012
Interesting take on why things happened as they did, both in why they were taken back to England and why Susan, of them all, was left behind in the end. It also helps explain why Susan may have acted as she did, trying to fit as much life as possible in her remaining years in case the cure didn't work. Thank you for your take on the unsatifying ending to the books.
Wyngana chapter 1 . 4/17/2012
This story is really beautifully written. I'm amazed and in love with your style of writing and with how well you present Susan's thoughts as well as Aslan and Peter.

Long live Elecktrum!
HyDrOmAtIc chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
A NEW STORY! Omg, the squeal I released when I came on your page to reread an older story for the millionth time and saw this story and the other update! SO GOOD! And at the same time, it makes it hurt even more that Susan didn't seem to find Aslan in our world... but then, maybe there was more to Susan's story then CS Lewis told. I'd like to think she eventually became Queen Susan the Gentle again one day. Not that I hate her for what she did do. I understand it. But I hope she was reunited with her family eventually. Anyways, awesome story, so exciting to see something new from you!
My Secret Addiction chapter 1 . 3/25/2012
Yay! I'm so glad to see that you've updated a couple of new reads! And how in love I am with this new alternative to Narnia! It makes so much sense, and you wrote this story beautifully :) good job and thanks for sharing this!

- Hails.
Rayven49 chapter 1 . 3/23/2012
What a new imagining of why they had to return. I quite like it :) And I quite like that you're back and writing away!

Please continue the loveliness.

Yours,

Rayven
Lionheart Rising chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
You're back! Yes! This was very well done; I liked the way you made the reason they left Narnia a disease. Excellent fic.

-Warring Queen
playah gonna hate chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
It's the waiting that killed this for me.

Killed me dead.

Hate it! rarr! feel the burn! BURRNNN!

...How was that? Too much?
the1hobbit chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
So glad my poking and prodding worked. So glad you posted this little gem, when you first told me about it I thought it was an interesting idea, and then of course I see the flesh and blood of the skeletons you share and I'm just in utter awe...again.

Much love luvie, though I might still flame this just for spite, and for you making me wait so damn long...hmmmmm tempting...
Rhysyllegmail.com chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
I can't get logged in today, but I had to leave you a review of this most amazing and wonderful story.

Oh, it has given me an entirely new perspective on that last bit of Prince Caspian, and I never again will be able to read it without remembering this poignant and incredibly heart-touching scene.

I'm on a short break at work, and I sit here will my heart full and my eyes fighting tears even as I smile at how this seems to make everything about Susan leaving Narnia mesh together in such a very satisfying way.

Elecktrum, you have always been able to write the word that Aslan speaks in such a way that I can not only hear it in my head, but feel it in my heart.

I'm so very glad that you were able to return to Narnia for "The Promise of Life" and I hope that eventually, your muse will let you return to the rest of your works in progress. In the meantime, I will continue to read and re-read your existing table of works, and enjoy them thoroughly while I wait.

Bless you for sharing your talents and visions with us.
myrmidryad chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
This is perfect. :') Just what I needed today. I think that's maybe why I let the notification for this sit in my inbox for a while, because I knew it would cheer me up when I needed it, so thank you for that. You've really put a smile on my face.

I always love the dialogue in your stories. It's old-fashioned, but it never sounds out of place, which is wonderful. I love the reason for sending them back, and Peter's relief at hearing that there would be a cure. It's all perfect. Just...yes. :)
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »