Reviews for Fine
feralscajun chapter 1 . 2/21
sorry I've never read this one before... It was really great ! my heart went out to Kel at the end.. He seemed so... alone... It was nice that it went along with your Johnny and Mike series... I love the character of Len.. I think he would be a nice contrast to Dixie...

Lex
Var Devonshire chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
It always bothered me that the writers just dropped the whole Kel/Dix relationship after a while. I thought they worked well as a couple. Your story tied up the relationship quite nicely. I could actually "see" & "here" Kel and Dix having this conversation, their facial expressions and vocal inflections as I read it. You did a great job on capturing the characters and the relationship, sad as it was. Well done!
Agent Striker chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
That was so depressing. And so perfect. AHHH! THE FEELS!

LOVED IT
CapLovesGregandJames chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
Such a mega-talented writer! I could hear this happening on the last rescue of the end of one of the episodes.

You captured both of them so elegantly. Takes my breath away. But what would I expect with Kelmin doing the writing?

A masterpiece! Truly.

CLGJ
Bamboozlepig chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
Kel, I loved this story, you brought such a wonderful explanation and a fitting end to Dixie and Brackett's relationship that the show never really explored. This is the exact kind of conversation I would have loved to have seen happen on the show. And I'm glad Dixie is with Len, I enjoy his character very much and think he's a good fit for Dix, much better than Brackett. Awesome piece, my friend!
starlight guardian chapter 1 . 3/12/2012
Well done, great little side story. And Dixie made a lot of sense.
The Delirium Threemen chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
Loved this line "Maybe we'll get the Bat Cave, or the White House, or—" reminds me so often of the phone in the classroom and how often I bit my tongue when it rings so I don't give into the temptation of saying "Hello Commissioner, Batman speaking."

I loved the resolution that the show never gave on Kel and Dixie's relationship. After Season 2 they just seemed to drop that angle with them. I can so see Dr. Early saying they needed to make up their minds. The reason and rationale to the end of their relationship so fits the time and era of the show. Brackett probably did have a golden spoon in his mouth growing up and would be used to being waited on. Great story and so fitting it would come out in a situation where they were both forced to spend time together - such as a broken elevator ;-).

TDT
jada951 chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
I can see them having this conversation and saying these same things... being set in their ways, married to their jobs, etc.

I'm glad Dixie has someone, now Kel needs someone too,

even though he has those crazy eyebrows.

[:-)

makes me think of Elrond's "eyebrows of doom".

Sorry Lord of the Rings is another favorite.
jmss7 chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
That feels just right. Wistful regret on both their parts, but an understanding that in some ways, they're just too alike to be able to live together. We did see some sparring during the show, and a few times where they weren't speaking to each other due to differing points of view. Great job, as usual!
Enfleurage chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
Struggling to pick out my very favorite bits of this story (a little voice is my head is fervently insisting, "ALL of it!") and my delight that people are continuing to write to Ginger's elevator prompt (what a clever and fruitful prompt it has been. Kudos to Ginger!).

Brackett's voice is as deep, rumbling and rich coming off the page (screen?) here as it is in life/video, and your phrasing is so perfectly characteristic that I do hear it.

1) Brackett not being very good at looking on the bright side snicker

2) Dixie saying "You always were a gentlemen, I'll give you that." My breath caught in my throat because that one sentence opened up all the old ghosts.

3) Dixie imagining the shape of Kel's brows knitting and then thinking she could HEAR them coming together (I heard tiny little knitting needles in my twisted brain)

4) That she nails Brackett's concept of 'wife' including " 'caretaker of household.' That's not something I could do. Especially when it was assumed." Ouch. And very insightful

5) Mostly the idea that both of them are set in their ways resonated: too stubborn, too forthright, they both need someone complementary, easy going, not a fellow hard charger.

6) And the idea that Dixie & Len might get married after they retire was both surprising and then after a half-seconds thought, not surprising at all. Len being younger than her isn't that surprising since even with his commune and Army years, he's probably early 40's.

7) Brackett feeling smaller, older and lonelier than ever made me tear up for a minute

8) And of course, it's Hank Stanley and new version of Station 51 to the rescue as always

9) And finally, the ever malleable much used word 'fine' which usually with these characters means 'maybe a little bit bit broken, may have scars, but will survive.'
pam1 chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
What a heart felt chat between 2 more then friends. I kinda feel bad for Kel but am glad Dixie has found some happiness (and with a great guy like Len).
HeroWorshiper chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
That was a good one. Interesting place to go for the plot. I always wondered why the romance cooled, and now that I consider it, exactly when. End of season two?

Great challenge response.
robertwnielsen chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
Well...maybe not *exactly* the resolution that fans of Dix/Brackett as a couple were hoping for...but, a resolution nonetheless. I loved how the emergency phone connected them right to Rampart General, and Capt. Stanley was the first face they saw when they got out. XD Great job.

Robert
ENation38 chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
Loved it. The dialogue was spot on for Brackett especially.
Colleen17 chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
Loved the story. I thought it was strange how they dropped the relationship between Dix and Brackett. They wrote episodes different back then, not so big on little details that we notice these days. It's funny how you envisage characters; I visualized Len as a couple of years older than Dix. You ever thought about what actor could have played your character?