Reviews for Why?
1529 chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
So true, I had much more respect for Rowling before that ridiculous interview... now... well, she is either greatly delusional or someone else changed what she wrote and she never bothered to read what was actually published...
beege chapter 1 . 10/4/2013
In 'On Writing' Stephen King talks about how, when a story takes on a life of its own and goes in a direction you didn't expect, an author should go with that instead of trying to force it back into something artificial. Advice JKR ignored and which this fic underlines.
Scabbers1957 chapter 1 . 7/26/2013
JKR got all wrong with her pairings, my take would have been (1) Harry/Luna or (2) Harry Hermione.

:))
badkidoh chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
well I like it.
GBTtown chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
Fluffy but oddly fulfilling.
dennisud chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
I think you put it right and proper for us H/Hr Shippers. I really wonder if JKR really got over her first husband (Ron's basis) while she and her 2nd Husband seemed to be more like Harry & Hermione!

dennisud
ignoto82 chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
Can't agree more with you.

Harry/Hermione make lot more sense than Harry/Ginny if only for the fact that Harry always wanted to be normal (legacy from his "dearest" relative for sure) and Ginny start as ultra-obsessionate-fangirl. Now, sure, thing can change, but to change a first (really strong) impression like that one you need time togheter and work on the relationship in great quantity while all what we see in the Harry/Ginny way are just some page that come out of nowhere. No, seriously, the monster in his chest where was just last year on the train when she declared her "relationship" with another guy? Hiding from the power of love letter? I can easly see where most fan fiction plot of love potion come.

This said, shoul I point out that Hermione is a good friend (a bit pushy, but every great freind can have some eccentricies) if we exclude the Firebolt sorta backstabbing (dictated by the fear of a plot to kill Harry at the hand of murder!Sirius).

Ron/Hermione make even less sense: he get envious far too swiftly, she is too competitive for her own good. That won't end in friendly rivality but in a slow but inevitable break out. Make the realization too slow, throw in a marriage and some children and all you get is a family that go onward only thank to inertia IF that family go onward at all.

Uhm... it seem I'm out topic now compared to where I wanted to go, meaning just saying:

Good work!
madbrad chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
Why hello there!

I remember this piece from when you posted it on Portkey, just a week after HBP's release and Rowling's self-indulgent love affair with her two sycophantic 'interviewers'. I just hopped over to the site and read the review I posted back then.

I'm going to repeat it here, just for the hell of it. Also to convince you that you need to write more H/Hr fan fiction. Yes, after reading this heartfelt review you'll be so driven by nostalgia and reminiscence you will experience a RESURGENCE of love for Harry/Hermione and an IRRESISTIBLE URGE to wrote another piece of quality HP fan fiction. Yes!

Phase 2 of the H/Hr community fightback, post interview. Engage!

You know, I'd thought of some of these canon facts too, in trying to explain why a H/Hr relationship was superior to any other. But Hermione said it much better. Thanks for writing her that way!

"He sat down beside her and she leaned her head against his shoulder"

Ahhh ... I needed that. A nice, very satisfying twist at the end. Thanks. I'm going to assume that their portkey took them to Portkey (dot org)?

"J tried to interject. 'The plot requires that you and Ron-'"

I've read some good summations of where we are, one week post-HBP, but I think that sentence summarises it beautifully and succinctly. JKR's Master Plan (tm), 15 years old, was for H/G and R/Hr. Hence the Hollywood-size superficial pointers - Ginny's red hair, Ron and Hermione's bickering (straight from a TV sitcom of the 80s, betraying the age of the plan). But over the first five books the character of Hermione Jane Granger grew - 'wandering' away from the author - into a heroine of equal standing with the hero, supporting him through thick and thin, with an understanding between them that was wonderful to behold.

And then the advent of book 6, which had JKR suddenly remembering to refer back to her Master Plan, recalling that this was the book where the couples get together, ignoring any evolution or personal growth of the characters that had occured prior and shoehorning Hermione back into the tiny box she'd grown out of 3 books ago.

And we all pay the price for believing in a writer who had not practiced proper authorial diligence in monitoring what had been happening under her watch.

We really weren't "deluded", you know. You might recall from an e-mail or two how brilliant I thought your two older HP stories are ... I'd come across very few stories that dived so deep into such introspective analysis of the relationships beetween the Trio and Harry & Hermione in particular. As a 'thought experiment' I tried to contemplate such a story with Harry & Ginny as the key players ... and I just could't do it. The Ginny character just *isn't there*. Nothing to work with. "You Have Always Believed Me" and other such stories COULD NEVER HAVE BEEN WRITTEN about the JKR-approved ship. "You Have Always Had An Unreciprocated One-Way Crush" doesn't quite have the same impact, you know?

A silly little thought experiment, but when I consider those two stories of yours in particular, and those of the other excellent authors here on portkey, I realise that such works could *never* have been fashioned in a vaccum. We saw what we saw!

Thank you for the story!

Ah, those were the days.

Well, I'll leave you to your writing ... :-)

Nice to 'see' you again! And thank you for being a solid part of my own personal Harry Potter fandom experience. Cheers.
King of Darkness chapter 1 . 3/10/2012