Reviews for If Only
RoyalBardofCanterlot chapter 1 . 4/11
Very beautiful.
BigHair chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
That was beautiful :) I really enjoyed it! And freeverse is a lot harder than it looks lol but I thought u did a great job on it!

-Rachel
jman377355 chapter 1 . 3/16/2012
I'm not much for poetry but I enjoyed it.
Blackgryphon91 chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
Very pretty way of putting this together. I'm a huge fan of free verse myself. Great way of portraying luna's thoughts. Flowed very well, I liked it! Keep it up!
BronyBraeburn chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
I don't read enough poetry for school and you make me read more? No worries, it's a great one. Luna reflecting like that is more stylized and powerful as a poem then a fic, and even though I have grown to despise modern prose poetry, this works well without being all over the place and weird. You really capture the awkwardness between the two and what happened during Luna's downfall and it gives me hope that the two get over what happened and become close again.
Rowanoak23 chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
D'aaaaaaaaaw...that's so beautiful and sweet and sad. Luna and Celestia forever!
Zervziel chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
Huh, that was an interesting departure. Also don't worry about not knowing what you're doing, I know nothing about poetry. Some nice imagery here though some of it seems a bit odd. Why did Luna mention her scalp instead of just her head?
Jasper Sealights chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
The emotion behind this is absolutely lovely, as are the literary devices you used to portray it. I'm really loving the flow of mostly thoughts & imagery blended together: they're so nicely intertwined that neither gets in the way of the other, and the balance is perfectly subtle.

With the whole poem pretty much being the thoughts & emotions behind one small scene, it actually gives it a really nice slow-motion effect. This effect is great for the regret/relief/sorrow/happiness mood of the moment.

My favorite aspect other than the emotion/imagery flow, though, is the repetition. I love the emphasis on Luna's assumptions, and her not seeing clearly. I think that's what pulls us into Luna's mind the most of all, because it shows us the more important parts of her reflection in general, and how she's feeling about herself, as well as Celestia. Plus, repeated lines just sound really nice.

Anyway, it was really introspective and deep, and as always, your interpretations of Luna & Celestia are always perfect. Great job for a first poem! The free verse was wonderful.