Reviews for Keeping the Balance
UPDATE PLEASE
Ionaadsila chapter 11 . 2/6
Update soon please?
dancenwrite chapter 11 . 9/15/2013
Omgoodness! That was painful and wonderful and soo worth all the confusing chapters to finally figure out what is happening. You have a wondeful style of writing and this story has been crafted so wonderfully so far. I can not wait for the rest!
JGgirl chapter 11 . 9/15/2013
I was holding my breath during most of that! My head hurts
devilcat82 chapter 11 . 9/15/2013
Poor babies! Can't wait for the next chapter!
KlainesDarknessChalet chapter 11 . 9/15/2013
I need more. More. More. More.

Just, gahhh, you're amazingly frustrating!

Can't wait for the next chap

*r*
KlainesDarknessChalet chapter 10 . 8/28/2013
I don't even know what to say.
devilcat82 chapter 10 . 8/28/2013
Please please pretty please update soon lol I love this
JGgirl chapter 10 . 8/28/2013
Well I'm dead
hma1010 chapter 10 . 8/27/2013
Omg! This is crazy, I need more now! Haha
Ylvi chapter 9 . 7/25/2013
This story is brilliant. Please please please, don't abandon it, ever.
It is beautifully written, the story is captivating and I believe this should be a book. Like, you should change a bit about the characters, it has almost nothing to do with Glee anyway and it should be a book.
Please, update soon, because I'm dying to know what's going to happen! :)
Kirsten chapter 9 . 5/17/2013
AAAAHHHHHHH!

Okay-I just started reading this verse a couple of days ago. And it sucked me in so bad that I'm already finished with all of it. Just...wow.

This whole thing-Left Over and what you have so far of Keeping the Balance-is just AMAZING. It's so intense and it just locks you in-you HAVE TO keep reading. It's just so good.

I can't wait to see where you take everything for the rest of this story. :)
weartheseshorts chapter 9 . 4/7/2013
Okay, here goes another long one. I hope your happy to know I spent the a lot of my morning in bed not enjoying the LA sun partly due to reviewing your story. :P

Overall: What a rush! It was a bit of a slow beginning, which I think you can see from how much I was dissecting the little details, and then it was picking up to a pace where I honestly couldn't begin to comprehend all the revelations (and that is probably why my commentary is so limited - I'm still reeling!). I'm overall glad to know that this chapter was ultimately included, despite it not originally going to be, because even aside from the Kurt-Blaine-Kurt-Blaine perspective pattern, this chapter really emphasized the rising action of Blaine's transformation.
I know there was some foresight to the change last chapter, but I think this really drove home the process of it. He is still for the most part lucid at the beginning, but taking elements from the previous chapters, his grip on reality is evidently changing (obviously, look at where he's at in the end of the chapter). I just find it so terrifying that he tried so hard in the beginning, and within the chapter he just... accepts and seems *happy* to give in to this being.

I feel like I've iterated this before because I've certainly thought it before, but his continuous mantra of "This is your body" just consistently feels like a chant or a ritual, one that resembles, to me, the part in Kill Bill Vol. 1 of The Bride training her mind to control her body in adjusting after the coma. For Blaine, the comparison lies not in training, but in maintaining his bodily control so that he doesn't reach the point that it's a limp/ineffective/malleable state. I just love that Blaine is fighting so hard to go against that, even if it makes me curious as to how quickly his body would shut down and succumb to the forces (his own magical downfall, Sebastian, Erickson, the surrounding students' emotions) weighing so heavily on it. I mean, the magic did get hold him at the end of this chapter, but that was after a gradual breaking down of Blaine's resolve which lasted essentially all of KTB.

It's so sad that the first thing this chapter opened up with was Blaine resting on the doorframe, when in previous chapters the open doorway was a teasing glimpse of freedom. I guess it shows Blaine's desperation that it's no longer a symbol to hate, but a grounding and therapeutic beacon of hope. (Gosh, Sebastian's use of "killer" in this chapter was even more sobering in this light.) Kind of related: the juxtaposition of "feeling" the wood and "feeling" the emotions makes me so incredibly awed in your talent for detail! So good!

A detail question: what is the "Or-some of his attention" in the third paragraph referring to? The fact that he's purposefully keeping an ear out for the Lima world? Or just the fact that he is admitting he simply cannot help but to hear those extraneous voices (or not so extraneous, as they're coming from his head)?

It's interesting that Blaine's thoughts keep revolving around the sources of those very voices: Kurt, the middle schooler... His thoughts of the doorframe's wood leading to the tree in Kurt's backyard, which was followed directly by thoughts of killing himself just like the girl in middle school reveal such a connection he has to these figures. No matter how much he wants to block out these voices, even the subject of his thoughs lean heavily on them inadvertedly. I'm also sad; while he doesn't project that depression of a suicidal person, his thoughts really reflect one's reasoning for it (i.e., beating external circumstances by choosing to kill themselves). And that "He still had options" really scared me because it shows just how close he is to pulling something this drastic. Especially when Sebastian was freaking out about how Blaine was "gone" - was he truly dead as he let the magic *thing* take over?

I also am amazed by how much Blaine is losing grip in reality, when on Kurt and Rachel's side of the conversation, he seemed so well put together. But then again, I guess I should have expected that. The two don't seem to fully understand just how dire of a situation they all are in.

Increasingly, I'm getting scared of Blaine - not for him, of him. The line "a strange euphoria creeping over him" just gave me chills. Same thing with "You humans, you think you can do anything." Whatever he is asking Rachel and Kurt to do is frightening because these *theories* I have revolving around that monster Blaine is falling into always comes back to whatever reunion scenario he'll have with Rachel and Kurt. And with Sebastian there, I don't know just what to think.

Oh my god, when I realized why Andrew was gone, I let out a literal gasp... And then TENFOLD when I realized Sebastian is going after Kurt and Andrew! Ahhh! You're right, it would have definitely made for incredible shock value, but I think this is just as thrilling for a build up to the climax. And again, ahhhhhh - everything makes so much sense now. Oh Blaine, it's like Kurt is his horcrux. Only, not exactly in preserving his life, but in But Jesus, it's morbid and part of it incredibly sweet, to know that he gave a part of himself in a way in order to die in a world without Kurt.

Now - Sebastian. I really don't know his angle. His characterization has developed so much since we were first introduced to him. The snark is still there, sure, yet he is a little less desiring and selfish. That's what I always liked about him in KTB: he doesn't really work for anyone but himself, as far as we could see. (However, with the advent of Wes's involvement, I don't know what to think.) This is where I get confused. In the part where Blaine admits he gave himself to Kurt, Sebastian shows his emotions; do you mean to say that he loves Blaine? Or has come to love him under the circumstances? For some reason, I'm having a hard time reconciling this with his character, even here, though it would explain the muted sassiness. Or am I missing something?

One of my absolute favorite themes of this story is the music. "Fogging smoke of music notes", "he studied the music Sebastian was playing him: unease", "the urge sang loudly in his ears": all these consistent musical allusions! I'm finding this motif more and more relevant and integrated into the story, which is very interesting because these instances Blaine's likening the sound to music should be anything *but* musical as they're harsh negative feelings. For some reason, it makes me more touched that a Glee fanfic that is not so obviously about the club itself still creates references revolving around the music of fantasy. I just love it.

I admit I looked up "amsugnol," and though I don't know if this is intentional, there should be something said about the fact that in Welsh it means "absorbent." (I could be reaching though.)

I think I had more to say, but rereading the chapter would take up and insane amount of time (as well as writing more!) so I'm going to just end it here. As always, the chapter was highly thorough, incredibly imaginative and awe-inspiring, and so, so exciting! I am incredibly anxious for the next one, but at the same time, knowing we're closing in on the end, I want you to take your time. ;) I hope this review was just as extensive as you were expecting, because it sure feels like it was... Talk to you soon and have a good writing!
JGgirl chapter 9 . 4/7/2013
Oh my goodness the emotions!
dancenwrite chapter 9 . 4/6/2013
Jesus Jesus, SO intense! Can't wait for more!