Reviews for A Thousand Angels
Ralinde chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
I knew you had a soft spot for sensitive!Rab, and I loved how you portrayed him here, wanting to be like Rod, but being utterly terrified and disgusted after his first murder. He's a bit like Regulus and Draco: it seems really cool to them to become a Death Eater, but in reality it's far more gruesome than you could imagine.

I also liked (ah well /liked/... you get what I mean) that his nightmares were plagued with angels coming after him. It's interesting, in most nightmares it's monsters and you're running and can't get anywhere and they come closer... But in this case Rab was (or felt like) the monster, being chased by lightness.
lowi chapter 1 . 3/12/2013
Oh, I loved this! Rab and Rod are two of my favourite characters, and you wrote them both so well here. I could definitely see Rab breaking down like this after his first murder, and the hallucinations, I don't know, they were beautifully written. :)

I also liked how you ended this; it was really effective with such an open resonating last line.

Beautiful work!
the lola chapter 1 . 3/11/2013
Such a great contrast between the lightness and darkness of each brother, and how those two things blur was shown brilliantly - the fact that Rastaban killed in the first place was his darkest act, and then Rodolphus being there for his brother at the end was the lightness. The explanation of the hallucinations was really well done, and I love how you managed to portray how blurred everything became.
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 3/7/2013
Oh... Poor Rabastan :( I really loved this, it was a very unusual take on his thoughts, and I liked how you wrote him as more than just the monster he usually is depicted as.
The relationship between the two brothers was interesting too, and since I listened to the song while reading this I could really feel where the inspiration came from. Otherwise, I don't think I would have noticed it was a song fic.
Good job!
WeasleySeeker chapter 1 . 3/7/2013
I definitely don't read enough about the Death Eaters... it's always so interesting to see what they're thinking, because they're obviously not just the merciless killers that Harry sees them as. So seeing Rabastan portrayed like this is really refreshing. :)

I got such a strong sense of his guilt from this, and I thought it was a really nice (well, not exactly /nice/) detail that he'd been working up to when he'd get his chance to kill, but then when he did, it didn't give him that feeling that he was meant to get at all.

Good job!
keeptheotherone chapter 1 . 2/26/2013
Brilliant characterization, the contrast between the two brothers and the difference between Rabastan's expectations and reality. My favorite is the way Rabastan was convinced everyone knew what he had done, that his guilt was obvious to everyone.
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
I really like your characterization of Rabastan here. It seems like a lot of fics have the Death Eaters all as completely merciless and inhuman, and I feel like a fic like this is just much more realistic. Rabastan's guilt just feels so real, especially the line about how he was sure that it was completely obvious to everybody what he had done. I love the brotherly relationship between Rabastan and Rodolphus that you've portrayed here, also - I can see them as close, so I like seeing that here. I think you did a wonderful job characterizing Rodolphus, as well, and showing how he was the stronger, protective brother over Rabastan. Rabastan's hallucination/nightmare was really interesting, also, I've never really thought of angels as being terrifying but it really makes sense in context. Great job!
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Oh, this was wonderful! I really love how you show Rab's reaction to his kill and the angel motif... especially the last line "The angels were coming to get him". So good!
Shira Lansys chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
Oh my gosh! Poor Rabastan! even though he did kill someone...

I've never read a fic like this, that describes in detail the guilt of taking a life. It's amazing!
MissSadieKane chapter 1 . 3/23/2012
This shows a really interesting side to the two Lestranges. I always thought of them as mad, merciless killers, but you've managed to give them some morality. I like the fact that Rabastan is trying to be strong in front of Rodolphus and I love the scene right at the end when Rodolphus is being a caring brother - I presume he is older here. Angels are an unusual nightmare, but they are supposed to be good so would haunt someone who thought that they were evil.
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
Oh wow. All right. I'm going to try to tell you what I really love about this, but I may forget somethings, because there's a lot.

The first part that really got me was the, "Rabastan was positive – beyond positive – that his crimes were visible to even the most casual of onlookers." Because that's really, really realistic – that's what guilt does, because it's so obvious to the person himself, and so it seems so obvious to everyone else, even when it's not. So I really enjoyed that.

And then there's the very next point after that one, which is, "Rabastan dared not cry in front of Rodolphus" which I also very much love, because he's trying so hard to be strong about it, even hopeless as that endeavor is.

Then the next paragraph, there's this line – "The horror wasn't showing – Rabastan looked just as innocent in his reflection as he had before he had become a murderer." Which I also adore, because it's a really great juxtaposition of how he looks on the outside and how he feels on the inside, and it ties in well with the earlier point about how he feels like they can't tell – but it doesn't show.

AND THE ANGELS. That's really awesome, because angels aren't exactly a typical nightmare, yet, with his extreme feelings of guilt, it's really quite logical that they are – but it's still so unexpected, because it's not the convention. I really, really loved that.

Then of course I really don't even have to tell you that I enjoyed everything after Rodolphus's reentry. :D

And the last line! The last line is really powerful, both because of the previously mentioned atypicality, and because it's very menacing.

Overall, a definite love.

(*_*)
Inkfire chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
I really like the way you described Rabastan's reaction to the kill here, how he expected it to be at first, and the numbness and horror that was his actual reaction. The nightmare was really chilling, the angels coming to get him… His terror was very well pictured. I like the way you portrayed Rodolphus, how scared Rab was to let him down by letting him see how shaken he really was, and the way he ended up reassuring and comforting him… Well done!
obsessivegirl73 chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
That was awesome. :) I like it a lot. :D not really anything else to say, great job! 8D