Reviews for A Dragon in Shining Armour
Ivorbarrie chapter 42 . 1/19
Such cool, interesting and touching fanfic. Probably one of my first fanfic I enjoyed the most! With Holy war left for me to finish, I look forward on your other projects coming soon! Either a whole new story, or just another sequel, I hope it will be as good as this one. Maybe even better!
Izumi Ryu chapter 42 . 11/19/2017
Well, I finally finished this work. I definitely liked seeing the insights of the Royal Knights, at least as you have depicted them, especially Gankoomon near the end. Now, hopefully I can get through Holy War.

On another note, this brings about more depth to my ideas for the Digimon comic I've been trying to throw together. Hopeully, I can get it to a state to actually show it and would not mind discussing some of the concepts I have considered for it.
Izumi Ryu chapter 8 . 9/29/2017
It's about time I check your story out. You've done a great job so far and I'm impressed with the depths you've gone so far with the Royal Knights, and was even glad you brought up the Digital Hazard with Dukemon.

My only complaint is the bland description paragraphs, but even that is less of a complaint. It's just the 'stop the story to describe' thing that turns me off from time to time. Of course, implementing descriptive detail in a way that it doesn't interfere with the story flow is a tough balance, but it's a difference between beong engaging and glazing over a paragraph or three.
BigChillFreak chapter 5 . 7/14/2017
i love re reading this and Holy War is awsome! it fot from awsome to mega awsome!
atill love Magna the most hes so cute i wanna cuddle him like a teddy bear
Guilmon chapter 42 . 6/17/2017
Dear Griff,

Hello~! First of all, thank you for writing this fanfic. It is a pleasure to have read through all your magnificent work - I have enjoyed every single bit of this dramatic adventure; from Examon's inclusion into the Royal Knights and the conflicts that ensued with this decision, to Alphamon's bonds with other Royal Knights weakening as certain secrets come to the light of the public, to DarkKnightmon's attempts to take down the Order for the sake of the Digital World's betterment, the new, draconic Royal Knight's past's scars coming back, and finally, the inevitable yet tragic defeat of the former, dark Royal Knight as his dream of destruction of the Order, to which he was enshrouded in, crashes down definitively, with his life fading away on the hands of his former friend, the Lord of the Empty Seat.

Secondly, I would like to congratulate you on the sheer quality and professionality of your fanfic. It awed that your chapters were written in a really professional way. The flow at which events happened was really smooth, and the elegant, precise, rich description of every movement was certainly a huge factor that added in the action scenes - due to this, I could imagine these accurately, as rich as they were. Said writting skills also helped me imagine the feelings that each character had; I even dare to say that one could feel what they were feeling at the exact moment, as if they were the character themselves.

I would like to ask, however, a question: Was Examon was really the focus of the story? To me, it felt as if Alpha, Ouryuu and Omega were the focus, rather than Examon himself. It was as if Exa was there solely for the plot to happen and flow accordingly, not doing much aside from training, doing generic missions, the talk with OuRyuumon and, of course, battling against the past's scars (Dorbickmon) before finally getting over that. The three aforementioned ones, however, had a much more active participation on the story than Exa did. Whatever you may answer, however, won't change the way I view the story regardless.

I would also like to ask, if it isn't featured on the sequel, Holy Wars: What happened to Dynasmon and his trust for Alphamon? As I observed, it was severed as Alphamon's secret that he has hid for so long, to all other Royal Knights, had been revealed, but it never actually was solved. Will they be on good terms in a close future? Or will Dynasmon completely shut himself away from Alphamon as he saw his so-called leader couldn't trust the Royal Knights on that matter?

Regardless, once again, I really enjoyed this and I thank you gratefully for creating this fanfic. It was certainly worth to read this, despite taking a while to finish reading it. I look forward reading more of your fanfics as well; your writing is exceptional and really makes me excited to read more and more as I progress through the fanfic. Thank you so much for this.

Sincerely,
Guilmon

(P.S. Sorry for the sheer length of this review: I really do tend to write a lot when I'm writing anything to such point I barely can summarize anything in it...)
TheCrazyAnimeFan01 chapter 42 . 3/10/2017
I just want to say that this was a very enjoyable read. I haven't really read much fanfiction that is solely focused on digimon but I'm glad that I read this one. Can't wait to read the sequal :)
GrotesqueChimera chapter 14 . 2/24/2017
wonder what happen with omegamon and alphamon
datsonyat chapter 12 . 11/16/2016
CAN'T STOP ME NOW (i'm impressed at how many i've put out in 24 hours, aw yeeeah)

ahgjdg the dynamic between OuRyuumon, Omegamon, and Alphamon is so good. They're such an entertaining trio and play off each other so well.

Ooo, I like your take on psychic digimon here! The line between truth and fiction would be very difficult what with the posers, and really, the psychics that are embellishing their own tales? Eesh. I can't blame their skepticism.

You set the atmosphere with Baronmon very nicely. "Curios" is a great word and I think you're the first I've seen use it. I keep chuckling and OuRyuumon's intentional and unintentional antics.

The way Baronmon described his vision gave me chills. I don't know if it's because I already know or that your prose was absolutely excellent, prob a combo of both there. Just wow, I could feel how terribly unsettling that was for Baronmon to even recall.

...Body... lotion... OuRyuumon, are you asking for a... /specific/ purpose...? Their reaction to the potion, pfft, oh y'all were asking for it. But really, Omegamon for unintentional cockblocker 2k16.

oh noooo Alphamon even gets a warning from someone else about hurting Omegamon. Nooooo, this set-up, it physically pains my heart. This beautiful trio is about to be smashed right before my eyes. ;;

I'm constantly impressed at how well you do domestic scenes. I don't usually have a lot to say about them unless something really sticks out, but they're perfect in the way of transitioning from one scene to the next while allowing the reader to view how the characters would usually act in a calm/laid-back environment where they don't have to worry about other RKs and worrying situations. It builds more of their relationships between each other and provides more insight as to why their dynamic is so engaging and fun to read (ie, their jokes, good-natured teasing, their comfort with each other). So while it's hard for me to put into words what I like about them so much, they're definitely welcome and necessary. I think I'm gonna revisit this point in a future scene when I can hopefully put it into better words. An addition: I don't think my lenny face worked, so let's go with the George Takei OuRyuumon, oh myyy. He continues the public trend. What a guy he is. [insert dramatic eyebrow gestures]

I'll preface this by saying I've never actively reviewed a love scene. Alright, let's see how I do. I will compliment your prose again because it perfectly captures both the loving and sensual aspects of it. I find it impressive when an author can write lovemaking without resorting to the usual M-rated words (of which I have no problem with and can appreciate!). I find it adds to the intimacy, almost shows that it's more than just sex. Very weird addition: I find myself fixated on OuRyuumon's use of "Royal Knight" during sex. I don't really know WHY, it just stuck out at me and seemed so in-character for him. x) Overall, for the short scene it was, I think you nailed it—pls absolve me of my unintentional pun—and would read more like this in the future!

Oh here's the cringe, like Alphamon, bro, oh man, oh god, oh man. For one, rude af to your lover and two, it's a baaad cover-up. Alphamon... /head in hands aghgh. I can't even laugh at the ridiculousness of what's going on because it's literally his worst fear, plus the disrespect to OuRyuumon, and the hurt from Omegamon. ): Ah man, like I love Alphamon and OuRyuumon's dialogue after the fact; their conversation is executed extremely well and important—it covers issues that need to be talked about—but MY HEART.

Omegamon my precious darling, awww nooo. ;; Normally I am not one to be a fan of the "eavesdropping but leaves before hearing the whole convo" cliche, however you write it so well and it's very emotionally charged. Omegamon has more than enough reason to leave. I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to hear more of that kind of thing from what I thought was my best friend either. Augh, the sorrow is painfully tangible.

Tfw I forgot Omegamon confessed he knows to Alphamon. I'm sitting here with a painful expression and a semi-dropped jaw. I feel /so/ bad for them. I'm fairly speechless, tbh. The gravity of what both did and the pain they caused each other is so powerful. Phenomenon writing indeed.
datsonyat chapter 11 . 11/16/2016
The image of Alphamon stretching his wings is honestly a v cute sight I was not expecting?

My first reaction was "BanchoLeomon, you are so dumb." It just proves the stupidity of some all the more; any sane digimon should probably be like UH YEAH NOPE BYE when faced with Alphamon and Omegamon. Omg, I'm laughing at Alphamon and OuRyuumon's total trolling. Loving the "new" way you wrote the fight scene here due to OuRyuumon's unique body. Thank you, THANK YOU for giving Omegamon hands! Every time I see this poor soul with weapons for hands without the ability to remove them I'm just... poor Omegamon, lol. Suffice to say, I really like that you took that route. Eee, Alphamon using his power to sanitize river water! So cool! Your details continue to amaze and impress me.

OuRyuumon, oh my. ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) (if my lenny face didn't work, at least you know my intention, hee) Aw, I love how you write intimacy and the issues these two deal with. It seems during my time away, OuRyuumon really grew on me? o: What is this magic? I'm finding him a lot cuter and more sympathetic. Agh, I understand how both of them feel. D: Ouch, the word "normal" tho... It's very intriguing that you explore sexuality in this story as well. The whole conversation strikes me as a very real one a couple would have IRL while still maintaining elements of your Digital World.

Some great worldbuilding going on in the conversation with Unimon. You flesh out your world so naturally.

LMFAO OMEGAMON. Simultaneously such a hilarious but dark thought regarding OuRyuumon and his potential shenanigans over him signing up an unwilling Omegamon. Oh my goddd, that line was pure gold. (I try not to spoil too hard for newcomer review readers.)

Pls, I can't handle much more, the inn, jfc. Alphamon and Omegamon's reactions, and Alphamon feeling like a perv about it. I'm CRYING, ahahaha!

THE FEELS, NO, oh Alphamon nooo precious darling. ;; don't hurt poor omega, he is ur friend, he loves you man. Bracing myself for incoming.
datsonyat chapter 10 . 11/16/2016
It's nice that you continue describing Dusk Forest despite us having a pretty good idea what it's already like. Our heroes are newcomers here and your description is equally new. I love that nothing is repeated and you paint a new picture, or rather build on the one that's been in my head from last chapter.

Oooh, love that build up with Examon loading new ammunition with a small hint as to what it might do. Whatever it is, my first thought was that it would attempt to compensate for his maneuverability issues. This is so small and potentially strange to bring up, but I love your use of the word satisfying for reloading ammo. Maybe I've played too many video games, lol, because I found it equally as satisfying and could hear what you intended in my head.

More small details, YES! Examon comes across as a guy who generally understands people, yet here you drop that he's not very skilled in reading others in general, which is super interesting!

And our heroes find a piece of the larger overarching plot. When I originally read it, I wondered if it would be a larger piece of the plot or self-contained to these episodes. Looking back, it's really neat how you did the self-contained eps but had them relate to the overall plot. Good stuff.

Ahh, and it's flares which are more useful to both! (omg forgive my poor memory) I think it highlights that Examon is very willing to be a team-player and will do what's best for everyone involved overall. As usual, though, I like to read too much into things, aha...

Craniamon, pls, as much as I love reading your fight scenes, Learn the positives of being a team-player like Examon. Jeez, is he ever confident to a fault. Seriously, Examon just saved him from either a grievous wound or possibly even death and he's just mad. I don't know if I can agree with him in part two; Examon's more or less got him pegged as caring more about being a perfect warrior at the moment. Craniamon hasn't exactly done anything to make me see otherwise yet. I really can't see his working with Examon as an acceptable concession to prove contrary. Sorry, Crania, you lost me this round.

Wait, did you just get him back on my good side within sentences? OMG GRIFF. xD Reverting back to my review as I go style managed to shoot me in the foot, ahahaha. Okay, so progress with Craniamon in that he's not as unreasonable once the heat of the moment has died down. I am glad to see her cooler, rational mindset take charge.

Examon, what a pure soul you are. ;; He's such a role model. Craniamon would have deserved it too. Ahhh I love when characters take the high ground, esp 'cause these two need to work together now and for the foreseeable future. I have to suspect that maybe Examon is teaching Craniamon some sort of humility through this? (TBH I AM PROB OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING)

hghggh oh jeez oh jeez the feels, they come with the RK rule of not leaving another behind! LET CRANIAMON'S ICY HEART BE MELTED

I mean, I know the trap wasn't meant to be funny, but you got a snort out of me from the image alone. Oh yikes, I know the pain Craniamon is feeling. Don't like to admit it, but I understand far more than I wish I did. 8( I enjoyed the pieces of backstory we got for both here. It's a puzzle slowly coming together and I love how you give us tidbits here and there while a big picture is building. Like I wasn't expecting the eventual reveal about Examon's past to be so... what it /was/. This def helped build it up to that without giving away too much and taking away the emotion and shock of it.

Yesss, they come to an understanding, even if it doesn't mean automatic friendship or incredible respect. HAPPY DAYS, TEAMWORK AT LAST! I don't really wanna admit my physical, loud reaction to it in detail, looool. Just know it paid off very nicely! The way you write tension being resolved and the characters coming to a place where they can better understand each other and move on from there is very cathartic.

DUKEMON U SLY FELLOW. Haha, I love him so much.

(ps it seems this was the first chapter i reviewed so i had to go anon. my despair when it told me i couldn't leave a review it took me an hour to write was hilarious)
datsonyat chapter 9 . 11/15/2016
Um, long time no see. At least the quest continues?

The way you build atmosphere is amazing (how often will I overuse this word by the end? A drinking game based on this would actually kill someone), combining the scenery with the character's growing nervousness about being in such a place. Tankdramon didn't /need/ to be speaking to himself, we could have just as easily listened to his thoughts, but wow did you ever give it a purpose with a few very clever lines and did it ever increase how unsettling the scene was. Your prose here was excellent, especially the "like candles flickering in the wind" line. It was really beautiful and instantly had me picturing the exact scene in my head.

Oh, action scenes, my old nemesis, how shall I adequately review you? As usual, you're truly excellent at choreographing battles while keeping them realistically paced and entertaining for the reader. I must admit, I wasn't sure who was going to win when I first read this chapter. I found myself grinning at Craniamon's characterization and confidence in his skills. It served the extra purpose of framing just how brilliant Examon is and in turn enhancing his character. Nicely done. Poor form at the end there, though, Craniamon... but a great way to open an avenue for character growth and bonding—or at the least, coming to a grudging understanding with a certain someone/few others... Aw, and you know by now I'm a sucker for characters with perfectionism issues.

Rhodo's actions are now ten times funnier to me after rereading the extras of the Xros Wars manga, where he's described as "a little bit of a pervert." So amused! Yay, it's been awhile since I've been able to read about (most of) the gang together again!

Hmm, have I complimented your mission briefings before? It's short enough that it doesn't slow the story but filled with enough details so we know exactly what's going through the RKs' heads in terms of planning and how best to approach the situation. It's not overly wordy or filled with military talk someone like me might not understand. Again, you strike a great balance!

Yesss, the unlikely partnership begins. The awkwardness, the tension, eeee. When Examon said fair enough, I found myself agreeing with him, but still of the mind that Craniamon wasn't appearing at his best. I believe I've said before that Examon owned his mistake and is willing to do what it takes to make up for it, though that obviously hasn't sunk in with some characters, namely Craniamon in this chapter. Yep, I'm waffling again and can't really decide if I'd straight-up place Craniamon in a position where he's entirely unreasonable. I can see things from his perspective, and while not everything he's saying/doing is justified beyond a shadow of a doubt, there is still logical reason for him to feel that way (personal grudges aside for a moment). You're tearing me apart with how relatable everyone is!

Pffthaha, loved the line about Wizardmon feeling like he's on trial with Craniamon anyway. :') That single line endeared him to me.

And the chapter ends on a pretty ominous note. I love how you describe Dusk Forest! What a great setting. Man, if this is still your unedited version, I feel like I'm going to be really blown away by your improvement as I go through both fics. It was already so lovely to begin with.
ejay chapter 42 . 9/2/2016
i know this is really but i'm glad i got the chance to read such a great story and will be happily reading your sequel soon. on an unrelated note alphamon and yuri lowell vs. omegamon zwarts and estle. someone make it happen.
datsonyat chapter 8 . 7/8/2016
...I would read about Rhodo directing a RK spa day as well. Just saying. :'D

Even with the humour you included, the tension was palpable among everyone for various reasons. You presented Sleipmon and Examon's sides very well. I can see both perspectives and neither feels particularly wrong, just different. Again, great build-up here for future conversations and paving the way to truly understanding one another. I can sympathize with them, because I've had a friendship similar to this where our views were similar but didn't quite align, and it can cause a sad, tiring friction. (I mean, I know the outcome obviously, but I like commenting in the now.)

Was the "I, Dukemon" a throwback to the way he talks in the Japanese material? x) Either way, you got a chuckle out of me. Oh man, I really feel for him in this chapter, though. He has so much going on between the UDC mission wrap-up, being acting leader, having his leadership rather rudely /questioned/, and his own personal stuff. D: While he's still such a strong character, it makes me appreciate Grani and the way you've written him more. I'm glad he's there for Dukemon. Poor Examon too, with feeling like he's let down two of his closest mentors/friends at the moment. 8( Ergh, I empathize with the poor guy—AND holy crap dude you have me so invested in fictional characters I'm treating them like real people and feeling awkward for having a running commentary on their private lives! xD

Low-key worldbuilding and explanations from the characters without it feeling forced for the sake of the readers. Good stuff.

Magnamon is such a caring friend. Oh Dukemon ;; my poor bro, it's gonna be okay. The way you write such genuine friendship strikes deep. All aboard the feels train; next stop? Why, there is no next stop in this fic.

I have such a bias for Duftmon, but hell has he ever been pushing it this chapter. He gets what he deserves pretty hardcore here, to be frank. To give you an idea of how well-written this was, the first time I read it I was so shocked I'm fairly sure I exclaimed "Ooooh shit!" out loud. You're able to get physical reactions out of me, and this one didn't disappoint. I was cringing and had a hand over my mouth, and just /wow/. All of those snide jabs and rising tensions came to a pretty jarring blow-up. I felt so awkward and bad for everyone involved. It might've carried less weight had that not happened in a public area, but wooow you conveyed how awful that was to happen at all, but especially publicly very well. Reading that again leaves me speechless with some deep-seated discomfort and /poor Dukemon/, my god. That top three of characters I want to see grow? Yeah, Duftmon, you're there. Eesh. Phenomenal writing, though, don't get me wrong!

Ahh, the talk we've all been waiting for. Examon ;; I don't comment on him enough, tbh. His good qualities make him such a fantastic main character. He's just so real and /present/ and it's so obvious in the way he speaks earnestly to Dukemon.

The way Dukemon talks about the Digital Hazard hits really hard. His pain and shame—maybe even horror—are so evident in his words. Reading his confession, of him not knowing whether or not his personality is due to that, oh man, it makes me feel for him so hard. It hurt to read. I hope over the course of this story, if not the next, he can find some degree of peace regarding this. And the way Examon affirms and comforts him? Stop it (except don't), you weren't supposed to make my eyes water yet, least of all on a second read. Possibly sappy and corny as hell, but it makes me so glad someone can write about such deep and honest acceptance and friendship and not judging someone based on a single aspect of themselves. I know these are characters and not real people, but damn if you don't have me caring about them like they are.

The ending of the chapter is perfect. It ties up so nicely and leaves me feeling anticipation and hope. I can't remember if I've said it, but thank you for writing this and continuing to share it with us.
datsonyat chapter 1 . 7/7/2016
Oh man, now you're making me log out to review your new content? :p I'll keep it pretty short: I really like your edits and what you're adding to them. I'm forever a sucker for more vivid description. You could go more purple prose-y if you wanted to and I'd gladly take it in. I think you've given a clearer picture of Alphamon and Omegamon's characters while still maintaining that mysterious aura and allure to keep reading.

Do you have any kind of ETA and number of chapters you'll be overhauling, so I have an idea of when to continue the review quest? Any preference for me reviewing the old version or would it suit you for me to wait on the new one?
datsonyat chapter 7 . 7/7/2016
Another thing I've noticed is that you have really good chapter openings. They feel like episodes, which I find rather neat in writing.

I was wondering if their armour was a permanent thing or if you'd address it and you didn't disappoint. Now I'm gonna be stuck trying to imagine everyone in casual clothes. x) The tidbits about Dukemon's appearance made me even more curious about your full visions of them. I do really like that he's obviously not quite as humanoid as some fanart portrays him from your description.

I really like Grani's personality and his friendship with Dukemon. Am I sensing a very interesting story behind their first meeting? It feels like it. I hope I get to read about it further in. There's never a chapter where you aren't giving me warm feels. Grani was just introduced and can already incite that. I have to say this story is one of the most emotionally-charged fics I've ever read. I enjoy the balance you strike with the variety and depth of emotions, but especially love that I can smile and laugh at least once a chapter.

...And speaking of, OMG THE RULER LINE. I am choking, I am DYING. Rhodo's way of keeping them in line is genius and just, I am laughing my ass off. Yeah, I shouldn't drink while reading clearly. xD Honestly, I would have been down for a beach day. The shenanigans alone... Also, nice to see Craniamon does have a bit of humour in him.

Into the fire they go! Good to see all the RKs on the same page for this.

Anubismon, despite his moment of regret for dragging his brother into it—erghh nice set-up to break my heart over bad guys D:—has no intention of backing down, even in the face of what some would call overwhelming odds. His plan sounds solid, but we're also hearing it from his perspective. He's not in a place to have doubts, but the end of last chapter really cemented for me that he probably doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. Madman or arrogance, indeed.

OH YES, the fight is on! Freaking epic entrance; it really made your skill in well-paced action scenes shine extra bright. The way you streamlined each Knight's addition to the fight was so awesome. I loved how Sleipmon's opponent addressed his aim; it's small but it's such an important detail to give the readers. It speaks volumes that even in fight scenes you're character-building. You will always have two vigorous thumbs up from me.

The imagery in your action scenes becomes more and more vivid as the chapters go on without slowing them down still. Really impressive and enjoyable! I wanna mention the ice explosions, because /ice explosions/ and the way you described them were cool as hell (in hindsight, pun not intended, but whatever, it stays lol).

I will probably mention it frequently that I love how everyone fights with /intelligence/. There's always some kind of strategy in play by both the RKs and the villains and it's /amazing/. The amount of thought and detail you put into your fights is just fantastic. It's clear you put a lot of effort into making everything work and flow smoothly. Grani and Dukemon's maneuvers, Examon's ammo, and BlackMetalGarurumon's tactics plus running with the smokescreen and using it to his (dis)advantage were my favourites in this particular battle.

Yep, and there it is, their inevitable end. It hit me decently hard the first time reading it, however going through the chapters again, I just feel that Anubismon was such a greedy fool and he lead himself to his own destruction. :l It's definitely a disheartening and sad moment, and you did get some genuine sorrow out of my the first go-around because the scene is undoubtedly visceral and painful, but now it's more of a... tired, hollow sad, if you get me. It never needed to happen, but greed and arrogance are powerful and are not bound by logic.

A somber ending to another great chapter.