Reviews for A Dragon in Shining Armour
Candlestine chapter 2 . 9/12
The redundancy got worse here. This is where I stop.
Candlestine chapter 1 . 9/12
This chapter wasn't bad, only mitigated by the redundant sentences.
Parousia45 chapter 42 . 4/6
Okay, I got to say that the story is great with great writing style, plot, characters, conflicts, and complexity. The battles are really good and it balances the narrative and action so it is good as I like it having a story that balances everything. As you should know, I am not that deep into the Digimon fandom that much but after watching X-Evolution, it got me interested to the Royal Knights, so even though I am not that deep into the fandom, I can still understand the story with the writing. The plot is really good and it didn't make it too dark with the humor they have from time to time. I'll be discussing the characters individually and state my opinions about them.

Examon is a great character and he is somewhat of the protagonist of the story for the first several chapters of the story. He got the most spotlight behind Alphamon and Omegamon and even though he was pushed to the sidelines at the climax, he is still the protagonist as without him, the story won't take place.

Alphamon is, in my opinion, the best character of the story. He has a great development and his character is really great as even though he is a great leader, he still have some flaws. He is very realistic and well-written that I grew to love his character. Also, bonus points for adding his bisexuality to his character as I like seeing characters having different sexual identities as it becomes more realistic and complex and I like those elements in forming a character.

Omegamon is a sympathetic character as he have been through a lot. A lot of his moments are heartbreaking and he could use a hug. His character is sad that you can grow close to him and it always bring me to tears when something bad happens to poor Omegamon.

Dukemon is really nice too. He seems pretty kind and I like his sense of humor. His short temper is really funny at times but sad when it is serious. Well, because of him, Examon got his character development and he seems to be the same to Omegamon as he is the character that gave another character's development. Now that I think about it, the two seem to be foils to Alphamon and Omegamon where Alphamon has deep insecurities and can be emotional while Examon is not afraid to show his secrets to his friends and remains calm and collected most of the time and only loses it once when the UDC was attacked. Omegamon is always loyal and reserved that he can't share his pain and can't take dark secrets from close friends well while Dukemon is short-tempered and can handle dark secrets from close friends well.

Magnamon is really cute and his character has something to do with inferiority complex for being the shortest member of the group. Despite that, he is a strong fighter and is good...I hope he doesn't kill me for calling him "cute"...Though Huckmon seems to be cuter and I hope that guy becomes a Royal Knight (Seeing that he Digivolves to Jesmon).

Dynasmon seems to be the friendliest character of the Royal Knights and I think he is also flirty. I think he does have some hidden depths with his reaction to knowing Alphamon's bisexuality and his relationship with OuRyuumon. Still, he is pretty good too and him being a friendly guy adds up to his likability.

Sleipmon is a nice one though there is a very heavy flaw he has and that is his unwillingness to kill. Since his unwillingness to kill can be both a good thing or a bad thing, it brings a lot of conflict with the others and there are times that this ideal will get one of his friends killed. Still, this ideal is what saved Paildramon's life when he Digivolved to Imperialdramon Dragon Mode since I also don't want to kill him as he was still a child.

RhodoKnightmon...Oh my God/Arceus/Yggdrasil/Cosmos/Chaos/Minerva/Rose Neo/Master Unit: Amaterasu. This guy is so silly and I always laugh when he talks. He is one of the characters that makes this story lighter and funny with his repeated flirting to the other Royal Knights and shipping different characters with his fantasy...Damn it, first I have to deal with a Chandelure being a hardcore shipper, now I have to deal with a powerful Royal Knight being a bigger shipper...Well, I don't mean it in a bad way but it is killing me from too much laughter. The funniest moment I found from him is during the festival where he paid to get a kiss from Dynasmon in the kissing booth that I nearly laugh out loud and fell off my chair and funnier that it killed Dynasmon's mood that he left the festival early. Despite this, he is a skilled fighter and he is someone you should not mess with.

UlforceVeedramon is much of a troll for being lighthearted and not that serious. Still, he seems to give nicknames to other members of the Royal Knights and he keeps on calling Examon "Ex-sama" and I wonder how he knew that "-sama" is a Japanese honorific for calling someone high when he is not Japanese. Still, he is pretty silly.

Craniamon starts out as a jerk for being a big jerk to Examon but he does have some nice parts that are yet to be shown as he began to become friendlier to Examon. I laughed when he screamed at that different Darkdramon when he was talking about a Darkdramon he and Examon faced.

Duftmon has to be my least favorite character among the Royal Knights. I just can't stand his personality and I tend to dislike characters like that. Even with his unlikable personality, he is still a great asset to the team for being a great strategist. Though I think he'll get some development so that I can tolerate him. Plus, I like the parts where the Royal Knights make fun of him and troll him.

Gankoomon is a pretty interesting character and I like him too. I hope to see more of him in the sequel.

OuRyuumon is also a great character as even though he is a big jerk from the start, he becomes nicer as the story goes on and becomes a better character. He is also good and some of his moments make him cute and funny...Also, I still can't get over the part where he examined Examon's body without his armor on when he was asleep, I think he took RhodoKnightmon's opinion about Examon's body.

Anubismon and BlackMetalGarurumon are great villains and it is pretty sad when they were killed. So this how it feels like when the first villain of the story dies.

DarkKnightmon is a great villain and I like his character. A Digimon who is a former Royal Knight who seeks a peace for the Digital World but is very callous. He has a lot of things that makes him a great villain: cunning, intelligent, powerful, and has some parts that make him sympathetic. Still, his death is sad and it was the only way to stop him.

Dorbickmon can be seen as the true main antagonist as he was the reason the events of the story took place. While DarkKnightmon is the greatest obstacle and adversary of the Royal Knights, Dorbickmon is a very important character as without him, none of the events of the story takes place. He is also a threatening antagonist and he is frightening when he brutally beats up Examon that he was bedridden for a few days.

Also, for the rating of the story, I do not know if it should be M rated but I think it should be. There are moments that it needs to be rated M such as the brief sex scene between Alphamon and OuRyuumon, the theme about Alphamon's sexuality, the Royal Knights' shower scene (Though it is not that M-rated), the uncensored f-words, the scene where OuRyuumon was looking at Examon's unarmored body when he was asleep with detailed description, and OuRyuumon's torture (Not sure about this but the CG cutscene of Celes' torture from FFVI was cut off, this is mostly because she was a woman and not sure with males). The battles are brutal but there are lots of stories I've read that are for teens and are way more brutal than that, like the Maze Runner series. There are lots of swears in most T-rated video games I played but they mostly censor the F-words, like in Blazblue, this character said "What the fuuu-?!" but was cut off by a character who swears a lot to not say that. Most video games that are rated M have f-words uncensored. I'm not that sure but it depends on the society today.

For the flaws, I can't say that you made a mistake with the grammar as you follow a different spelling system with my spelling system (Specifically the towards, downwards, etc.). But I think that you made little to no mistakes (One mistake I recognized was that OuRyuumon was looking at the sleeping Examon and thinking why he was following even though they don't like each other, it was stated at one point that he was looking at Alphamon instead of Examon), which is pretty impressive since writing a long story with little to no errors is hard (I don't like to compare but I'm also a writer with long chapters but I have tons of grammatical errors so you're awesome).

Also, I'll be reading the sequel now and I'll review it once it is done and I might reread this story again to spot some hidden things. Take care!
Snivystorm15 chapter 32 . 3/15
[Also, kudos for writing on how there are several same Digimon yet are actually different; as it'd be pretty difficult to write a story where there are many others of the same name, however, you went through it ]
Snivystorm15 chapter 42 . 3/15
[ First of all, this is an absolute work of pure art.

To begin with as to why that is, I have to begin with how the story began itself.

The small yet satisfying description of the scenery, and how the Digital World was like; Examon's detailed and depicted appearance and how his "wings" and weapon worked.

The battle that enfolded and how Examon handled it; using their skills and experience as to take it all on. The writing was simply remarkable, and the baddies had character despite being Side Characters.
Simply making the story all the more captivating when reading.

The emotion, beliefs, and decisions each character makes which gives an idea as to how they think - even amongst battle, their personalities are there, with each strike and maneuver they make!
Along with the small comments they give XD

Even once the main antagonist showed up, his beliefs held some truth but their emotions got carried away with it.
Hell, I even related to them, somewhat.

Which is only more awe-inspiring, as the way you write each one of your characters has me understand their views; ( some, to a certain extent, of course ). Why they believe something; why they chose to be that way; why they're against it; it's simply all the more impressive!
{ Especially Sleipmon, as I had known what they meant and completely understood why they felt that way - along with how mad they were with Examon
Hope they don't have problems in the next story ;;;; }

To summarize all the emotions and sheer amazing amount of pure skill you have placed into this story;
I cried, I laughed, I empathized / sympathized, and I felt a happy warmth, even once it neared the end.

You - great, talented sir / ma'am / person - are an amazing author, and just by me ( finally, I apologise for not getting to this amazing work sooner ) reading your story, makes me want to try and get as skilled in literature as you one day.

I'll definitely read your next work on these amazing characters ( and yes, even Duftmon's one of them ).

Good luck with any other stories you have and good morning / night. ]
Ivorbarrie chapter 42 . 1/19
Such cool, interesting and touching fanfic. Probably one of my first fanfic I enjoyed the most! With Holy war left for me to finish, I look forward on your other projects coming soon! Either a whole new story, or just another sequel, I hope it will be as good as this one. Maybe even better!
Izumi Ryu chapter 42 . 11/19/2017
Well, I finally finished this work. I definitely liked seeing the insights of the Royal Knights, at least as you have depicted them, especially Gankoomon near the end. Now, hopefully I can get through Holy War.

On another note, this brings about more depth to my ideas for the Digimon comic I've been trying to throw together. Hopeully, I can get it to a state to actually show it and would not mind discussing some of the concepts I have considered for it.
Izumi Ryu chapter 8 . 9/29/2017
It's about time I check your story out. You've done a great job so far and I'm impressed with the depths you've gone so far with the Royal Knights, and was even glad you brought up the Digital Hazard with Dukemon.

My only complaint is the bland description paragraphs, but even that is less of a complaint. It's just the 'stop the story to describe' thing that turns me off from time to time. Of course, implementing descriptive detail in a way that it doesn't interfere with the story flow is a tough balance, but it's a difference between beong engaging and glazing over a paragraph or three.
BigChillFreak chapter 5 . 7/14/2017
i love re reading this and Holy War is awsome! it fot from awsome to mega awsome!
atill love Magna the most hes so cute i wanna cuddle him like a teddy bear
Guilmon chapter 42 . 6/17/2017
Dear Griff,

Hello~! First of all, thank you for writing this fanfic. It is a pleasure to have read through all your magnificent work - I have enjoyed every single bit of this dramatic adventure; from Examon's inclusion into the Royal Knights and the conflicts that ensued with this decision, to Alphamon's bonds with other Royal Knights weakening as certain secrets come to the light of the public, to DarkKnightmon's attempts to take down the Order for the sake of the Digital World's betterment, the new, draconic Royal Knight's past's scars coming back, and finally, the inevitable yet tragic defeat of the former, dark Royal Knight as his dream of destruction of the Order, to which he was enshrouded in, crashes down definitively, with his life fading away on the hands of his former friend, the Lord of the Empty Seat.

Secondly, I would like to congratulate you on the sheer quality and professionality of your fanfic. It awed that your chapters were written in a really professional way. The flow at which events happened was really smooth, and the elegant, precise, rich description of every movement was certainly a huge factor that added in the action scenes - due to this, I could imagine these accurately, as rich as they were. Said writting skills also helped me imagine the feelings that each character had; I even dare to say that one could feel what they were feeling at the exact moment, as if they were the character themselves.

I would like to ask, however, a question: Was Examon was really the focus of the story? To me, it felt as if Alpha, Ouryuu and Omega were the focus, rather than Examon himself. It was as if Exa was there solely for the plot to happen and flow accordingly, not doing much aside from training, doing generic missions, the talk with OuRyuumon and, of course, battling against the past's scars (Dorbickmon) before finally getting over that. The three aforementioned ones, however, had a much more active participation on the story than Exa did. Whatever you may answer, however, won't change the way I view the story regardless.

I would also like to ask, if it isn't featured on the sequel, Holy Wars: What happened to Dynasmon and his trust for Alphamon? As I observed, it was severed as Alphamon's secret that he has hid for so long, to all other Royal Knights, had been revealed, but it never actually was solved. Will they be on good terms in a close future? Or will Dynasmon completely shut himself away from Alphamon as he saw his so-called leader couldn't trust the Royal Knights on that matter?

Regardless, once again, I really enjoyed this and I thank you gratefully for creating this fanfic. It was certainly worth to read this, despite taking a while to finish reading it. I look forward reading more of your fanfics as well; your writing is exceptional and really makes me excited to read more and more as I progress through the fanfic. Thank you so much for this.

Sincerely,
Guilmon

(P.S. Sorry for the sheer length of this review: I really do tend to write a lot when I'm writing anything to such point I barely can summarize anything in it...)
TheCrazyAnimeFan01 chapter 42 . 3/10/2017
I just want to say that this was a very enjoyable read. I haven't really read much fanfiction that is solely focused on digimon but I'm glad that I read this one. Can't wait to read the sequal :)
FlyingCephalopod chapter 14 . 2/24/2017
wonder what happen with omegamon and alphamon
datsonyat chapter 12 . 11/16/2016
CAN'T STOP ME NOW (i'm impressed at how many i've put out in 24 hours, aw yeeeah)

ahgjdg the dynamic between OuRyuumon, Omegamon, and Alphamon is so good. They're such an entertaining trio and play off each other so well.

Ooo, I like your take on psychic digimon here! The line between truth and fiction would be very difficult what with the posers, and really, the psychics that are embellishing their own tales? Eesh. I can't blame their skepticism.

You set the atmosphere with Baronmon very nicely. "Curios" is a great word and I think you're the first I've seen use it. I keep chuckling and OuRyuumon's intentional and unintentional antics.

The way Baronmon described his vision gave me chills. I don't know if it's because I already know or that your prose was absolutely excellent, prob a combo of both there. Just wow, I could feel how terribly unsettling that was for Baronmon to even recall.

...Body... lotion... OuRyuumon, are you asking for a... /specific/ purpose...? Their reaction to the potion, pfft, oh y'all were asking for it. But really, Omegamon for unintentional cockblocker 2k16.

oh noooo Alphamon even gets a warning from someone else about hurting Omegamon. Nooooo, this set-up, it physically pains my heart. This beautiful trio is about to be smashed right before my eyes. ;;

I'm constantly impressed at how well you do domestic scenes. I don't usually have a lot to say about them unless something really sticks out, but they're perfect in the way of transitioning from one scene to the next while allowing the reader to view how the characters would usually act in a calm/laid-back environment where they don't have to worry about other RKs and worrying situations. It builds more of their relationships between each other and provides more insight as to why their dynamic is so engaging and fun to read (ie, their jokes, good-natured teasing, their comfort with each other). So while it's hard for me to put into words what I like about them so much, they're definitely welcome and necessary. I think I'm gonna revisit this point in a future scene when I can hopefully put it into better words. An addition: I don't think my lenny face worked, so let's go with the George Takei OuRyuumon, oh myyy. He continues the public trend. What a guy he is. [insert dramatic eyebrow gestures]

I'll preface this by saying I've never actively reviewed a love scene. Alright, let's see how I do. I will compliment your prose again because it perfectly captures both the loving and sensual aspects of it. I find it impressive when an author can write lovemaking without resorting to the usual M-rated words (of which I have no problem with and can appreciate!). I find it adds to the intimacy, almost shows that it's more than just sex. Very weird addition: I find myself fixated on OuRyuumon's use of "Royal Knight" during sex. I don't really know WHY, it just stuck out at me and seemed so in-character for him. x) Overall, for the short scene it was, I think you nailed it—pls absolve me of my unintentional pun—and would read more like this in the future!

Oh here's the cringe, like Alphamon, bro, oh man, oh god, oh man. For one, rude af to your lover and two, it's a baaad cover-up. Alphamon... /head in hands aghgh. I can't even laugh at the ridiculousness of what's going on because it's literally his worst fear, plus the disrespect to OuRyuumon, and the hurt from Omegamon. ): Ah man, like I love Alphamon and OuRyuumon's dialogue after the fact; their conversation is executed extremely well and important—it covers issues that need to be talked about—but MY HEART.

Omegamon my precious darling, awww nooo. ;; Normally I am not one to be a fan of the "eavesdropping but leaves before hearing the whole convo" cliche, however you write it so well and it's very emotionally charged. Omegamon has more than enough reason to leave. I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to hear more of that kind of thing from what I thought was my best friend either. Augh, the sorrow is painfully tangible.

Tfw I forgot Omegamon confessed he knows to Alphamon. I'm sitting here with a painful expression and a semi-dropped jaw. I feel /so/ bad for them. I'm fairly speechless, tbh. The gravity of what both did and the pain they caused each other is so powerful. Phenomenon writing indeed.
datsonyat chapter 11 . 11/16/2016
The image of Alphamon stretching his wings is honestly a v cute sight I was not expecting?

My first reaction was "BanchoLeomon, you are so dumb." It just proves the stupidity of some all the more; any sane digimon should probably be like UH YEAH NOPE BYE when faced with Alphamon and Omegamon. Omg, I'm laughing at Alphamon and OuRyuumon's total trolling. Loving the "new" way you wrote the fight scene here due to OuRyuumon's unique body. Thank you, THANK YOU for giving Omegamon hands! Every time I see this poor soul with weapons for hands without the ability to remove them I'm just... poor Omegamon, lol. Suffice to say, I really like that you took that route. Eee, Alphamon using his power to sanitize river water! So cool! Your details continue to amaze and impress me.

OuRyuumon, oh my. ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) (if my lenny face didn't work, at least you know my intention, hee) Aw, I love how you write intimacy and the issues these two deal with. It seems during my time away, OuRyuumon really grew on me? o: What is this magic? I'm finding him a lot cuter and more sympathetic. Agh, I understand how both of them feel. D: Ouch, the word "normal" tho... It's very intriguing that you explore sexuality in this story as well. The whole conversation strikes me as a very real one a couple would have IRL while still maintaining elements of your Digital World.

Some great worldbuilding going on in the conversation with Unimon. You flesh out your world so naturally.

LMFAO OMEGAMON. Simultaneously such a hilarious but dark thought regarding OuRyuumon and his potential shenanigans over him signing up an unwilling Omegamon. Oh my goddd, that line was pure gold. (I try not to spoil too hard for newcomer review readers.)

Pls, I can't handle much more, the inn, jfc. Alphamon and Omegamon's reactions, and Alphamon feeling like a perv about it. I'm CRYING, ahahaha!

THE FEELS, NO, oh Alphamon nooo precious darling. ;; don't hurt poor omega, he is ur friend, he loves you man. Bracing myself for incoming.
datsonyat chapter 10 . 11/16/2016
It's nice that you continue describing Dusk Forest despite us having a pretty good idea what it's already like. Our heroes are newcomers here and your description is equally new. I love that nothing is repeated and you paint a new picture, or rather build on the one that's been in my head from last chapter.

Oooh, love that build up with Examon loading new ammunition with a small hint as to what it might do. Whatever it is, my first thought was that it would attempt to compensate for his maneuverability issues. This is so small and potentially strange to bring up, but I love your use of the word satisfying for reloading ammo. Maybe I've played too many video games, lol, because I found it equally as satisfying and could hear what you intended in my head.

More small details, YES! Examon comes across as a guy who generally understands people, yet here you drop that he's not very skilled in reading others in general, which is super interesting!

And our heroes find a piece of the larger overarching plot. When I originally read it, I wondered if it would be a larger piece of the plot or self-contained to these episodes. Looking back, it's really neat how you did the self-contained eps but had them relate to the overall plot. Good stuff.

Ahh, and it's flares which are more useful to both! (omg forgive my poor memory) I think it highlights that Examon is very willing to be a team-player and will do what's best for everyone involved overall. As usual, though, I like to read too much into things, aha...

Craniamon, pls, as much as I love reading your fight scenes, Learn the positives of being a team-player like Examon. Jeez, is he ever confident to a fault. Seriously, Examon just saved him from either a grievous wound or possibly even death and he's just mad. I don't know if I can agree with him in part two; Examon's more or less got him pegged as caring more about being a perfect warrior at the moment. Craniamon hasn't exactly done anything to make me see otherwise yet. I really can't see his working with Examon as an acceptable concession to prove contrary. Sorry, Crania, you lost me this round.

Wait, did you just get him back on my good side within sentences? OMG GRIFF. xD Reverting back to my review as I go style managed to shoot me in the foot, ahahaha. Okay, so progress with Craniamon in that he's not as unreasonable once the heat of the moment has died down. I am glad to see her cooler, rational mindset take charge.

Examon, what a pure soul you are. ;; He's such a role model. Craniamon would have deserved it too. Ahhh I love when characters take the high ground, esp 'cause these two need to work together now and for the foreseeable future. I have to suspect that maybe Examon is teaching Craniamon some sort of humility through this? (TBH I AM PROB OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING)

hghggh oh jeez oh jeez the feels, they come with the RK rule of not leaving another behind! LET CRANIAMON'S ICY HEART BE MELTED

I mean, I know the trap wasn't meant to be funny, but you got a snort out of me from the image alone. Oh yikes, I know the pain Craniamon is feeling. Don't like to admit it, but I understand far more than I wish I did. 8( I enjoyed the pieces of backstory we got for both here. It's a puzzle slowly coming together and I love how you give us tidbits here and there while a big picture is building. Like I wasn't expecting the eventual reveal about Examon's past to be so... what it /was/. This def helped build it up to that without giving away too much and taking away the emotion and shock of it.

Yesss, they come to an understanding, even if it doesn't mean automatic friendship or incredible respect. HAPPY DAYS, TEAMWORK AT LAST! I don't really wanna admit my physical, loud reaction to it in detail, looool. Just know it paid off very nicely! The way you write tension being resolved and the characters coming to a place where they can better understand each other and move on from there is very cathartic.

DUKEMON U SLY FELLOW. Haha, I love him so much.

(ps it seems this was the first chapter i reviewed so i had to go anon. my despair when it told me i couldn't leave a review it took me an hour to write was hilarious)