Reviews for Abandoned Sparks
Gwinna chapter 14 . 1/19
Putting Azula and Zuko in a situation where they are on the the run together, forced to depend on one another in order to survive, is a genius idea. I've always loved these two and felt wistful for the awesome sibling relationship they could have had if only they weren't so afraid of showing weakness or being vulnerable to each other. But here where they have no choice, it naturally leads to them growing to care about and appreciate each other more. You do a great job keeping their interactions true to character, and the development of their relationship feels very realistic. It's also very impressive that you're still working on the story after so many years. Looking forward to reading more :)
123456 chapter 14 . 1/18
Sorry about the depression. :( I hope you get to feeling better soon! Take care!
Red herring chapter 9 . 12/20/2019
Ah so many complexities within the chapter. First of all, I love that scene where Zuko is watching Azula train at night. And Azula can’t help but comment on it, Zuko's jealousy. I can't help but wonder, since we are looking at this from Azula's perspective, is it just jealousy for Zuko, or are there other emotions? Is it jealousy from the fact that fire-bending comes so easily to Azula? Is it jealousy from the fact that she always had their father's praise? Or is it more resentment from the fact that Zuko thinks that she doesn't understand what it feels like to be him and have to struggle for everything including firebending? It's like that scene during the Breach episode and Zuko tells Azula after she makes fun of him opening up with his feelings, “I guess you wouldn’t understand would you, because you’re so perfect”. Or again like that scene when Zuko about his sister in the North Pole when kidnapping Aang, “There's always something. Not that you would understand. You're like my sister. Everything always came easy to her”. Both of these quotes actually reveal a lot about Zuko’s feelings towards Azula. And the funny thing is neither of them actually show jealousy from his side. But they do show something else, resentment. Resentment, because he thinks she doesn’t understand what it feels like to be him and have to struggle for everything, since he thinks everything comes easy to her (maybe like her firebending in this scene). Anyways, more meaningless speculation from me but going back to this scene where Zuko is watching Azula train, I can’t help but wonder what he is really feeling, is it just simple jealousy like Azula thinks or something more that she doesn’t know yet? If it is the latter, I hope they talk about it and clear the air in the future. The nice thing though is that whatever this feeling is, jealousy or resentment (maybe both), it’s slowly going down in Zuko as he also sees the human side of Azula, who is struggling just like he is.

Zuko falls down into a ravine. And what is this… is Azula actually starting to feel the unfamiliar emotions of concern or fear for a certain brother?! I love how she reflects on these emotions as something so foreign and alien since she’s probably never been taught what they are before or how to healthily express them by their father. And the mutual awkwardness from both Azula and Zuko as she checks up on him by touching him, that never gets old :). If she’s already starting to be so uncomfortable with these smaller emotions, I must admit, I can’t wait to see when she starts to realize that she is starting to feel a big “L” word for her brother and what this emotion may mean. Lol.

And Zuko’s stubbornness to not take a break, even when Azula insists. This so Zuko. His body may be on the verge of death but he won’t give up, especially because he wants to show Azula that he can keep up and pull his own weight. This stubbornness for Zuko seems to be both a good and bad thing. It’s good because Zuko is the sort of stubborn person who would do anything for someone, and stick through them through both thick and thin (I have a feeling Azula may need this unwavering support, especially emotionally, from Zuko later on in the story). It is also bad at times because it makes him tunnel visioned like in this scene here where he keeps insisting he’s fine when he clearly is not (but it seems like Azula’s influence is fixing this for him). You also got to love when Azula lightly slaps him and thinks to herself about Zuko, “so dramatic”. Oh Azula, are you conveniently forgetting the fact that you can be just as dramatic as him at times? Lol.

“He must feel terrible. He deserved… in any case… it was better for their mission”. Azula struggling to admit to herself that she actually cares about Zuko’s wellbeing never gets old. Another good chapter!
Red herring chapter 7 . 12/15/2019
Dang I put my previous review on the wrong chapter! But I wanted to continue just writing my thoughts on my favorite chapters. Again, in this chapter we see both the good and bad side of Azula and Zuko here with their relationship. It's nice first of all to see both Zuko and Azula lighten up and start joking around each other. They both take themselves so seriously at times that it's nice to see them actually loosen up and be mutually awkward around each other. This is another way Azula can be a great influence around Zuko, who especially has a bad habit of being too uptight at times, by teaching him to lighten up a little and actually poke fun at himself.

But then we also see the other side, the side of them that like to squabble with each other when they are looking at the mirror (hey it can't all be sugar right). But like I talked about in my previous chapter review, Azula does what Zuko feared she would do, which was basically take the insecurity/weakness that he had just revealed to her before and throw it back at him maliciously. This is one of Azula's biggest problems, unlike Zuko, (who is also an asshole at times) she doesn't feel any guilt about hurting someone with her words and she also doesn't draw a line when it comes to her insults. It's the fact that she crosses these lines which is what pushes her from being just a "bitch" at times to actually becoming a bully. But Zuko holds her to her actions, and makes her slowly realize how crossing some lines can actually be very hurtful.

Again more ways that they are helping each other be better. Azula slowly helping Zuko (and herself) loosen up and poke fun at himself. She is bringing out his awkward humor. But Zuko is also showing Azula when she can take her actions and comments too far and be extremely hurtful.
Red herring chapter 6 . 12/10/2019
"I don't hate you," Zuko stated, with dignity. I really like this line. There's always been a lot of speculation regarding how Zuko has felt about Azula in fanfiction. Responses spanning from Zuko not giving a damn about her to other stories making him be an immediately caring big brother. I have always felt that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Just like you, I also don't think he truly ever hates her. I don't think he ever blamed her for the circumstances in his life (as we could tell when he first talked about her in season 1 during the finale). He does resent her at times, especially when she goes overboard when trying to push his buttons, like she did at the beginning of season 2. And I also do think he had resentment with how she was naturally gifted with everything and received constant praise from their father (though I think he viewed it more as how it showed him his own inadequacy versus him being hateful at her). But underneath it all, he cares about her. It's just very hard for him to immediately open up and show it (and it's kinda the same for Azula). And of course, it doesn't help that Zuko thinks that Azula would only use his more vulnerable feelings against him if he did open up to her (and tbh he's not wrong half the time).

Anyways, I know, a lot of meaningless speculation. I just wanted to say that you do such a great job of capturing all these little nuances with your writing. Both the good and bad parts of their relationship. How both Zuko and Azula are overcoming these insecurities to trust and slowly open up to each is so refreshing to read :).
Red herring chapter 14 . 11/30/2019
Ah, Azula and Zuko, yin and yang. Two pieces of a puzzle. You do a great job of showing the way they make up for each other's deficiencies. When Zuko has inner emotional turmoil, Azula steps up to help (although grudgingly and lacklusterly at first). And when Azula has run out of plans, Zuko starts taking on the responsibility, showing his resourcefulness in adapting to shifting circumstances. While Azula is rigid (a perfectionist) and more of an intricate planner. Zuko is flexible, focused on "doing" and knows how to deal with failure. And they slowly start picking up each other's traits through the story. In the most recent chapters, we see how Zuko has become better at planning, foresight, and taking charge. We also see how Azula is slowly learning to cope with her own failures by leaning on Zuko's shoulders. They are slowly but surely helping each other become better people. I could talk on and on about them but honestly great job with this story.

Also about your chapter 1 author notes, I'm not saying this story has to have a zucest pairing but oh man, it would be so sweet if it did (I also see that you're planning on writing a one shot on the side, if that's also zucest, I'm not complaining one bit). I'm sure you already know why it is the greatest pairing in the Avatar fandom ;). But really though, great work I'm eager to see your next update!
AZalmega chapter 14 . 11/21/2019
I had the honor of discovering your story and I am in love with it. The pacing is great and the interactions between the siblings are pure enjoyment. I like the action, not too detailed or too rushed for me. I am glad you enjoy writing this story as much as I love reading it. Your skill really improved ver the years. This experience is more than an investment for me, it's a pleasure.
Guest chapter 14 . 11/19/2019
Hope everything is well! I just reread the story and saw your status update. I hope that you are taking care of yourself and I look forward to seeing an update from you!
mememysleep chapter 14 . 10/23/2019
Btw, I'm sorry but I HAVE to ask this. How does Azula deal with it being THAT time of month when she is traveling with Zuko without any resources? Considering she's 14, she probably only recently started having periods and still has very little of an idea how to deal with them while traveling alone. You HAVE TO include a scene in the story with this happening lol :D. It would be SO awkward and could you imagine how Zuko would react, and could you imagine how embarrassed and mortified Azula would be to talk about it! Please you have to include this, it would be so funny! I'm begging you!
Guest chapter 14 . 10/11/2019
I saw your most recent update. Take as much time as you need; your mental health is far more important than fanfiction!
I hope you feel better soon!
Xeroboros chapter 14 . 10/8/2019
It's crazy how few good samples we have of Zuko and Azula learning to be siblings, yet you've managed it quite well.
Spazbulba chapter 14 . 9/10/2019
What an amazing chapter!
I have to say I've been wondering how will You make June a threat to our brave adventurers - I've thought she will simply blackmail the siblings and turn out to be working closely with fire nation troops trying to capture them. Thb I wasn't expecting bounty hunter lady to be a threat herself but with that in mind it also made sense to show her as an immensely strong warrior woman... although Zuko's behaviour after their initial encounter, holding his arm close and not using his figthing skills could suggest that our lovely bounty hunter was in fact cheating helping herself by using diluted version of her mount's poison. I am not saying that she did cheat but let's be honest even if You are sure to win why risk it if You can get away with cheating, right? And June isn't exactly an upstanding other theory that would also explain why Zuko isn't nearly as angry as I was expecting him to be is that his wounds are much more severe than he lets on. In that case Azula should better take a closer look at what is going on beneath his shirt... Which leads us to that little moment in which Azula did see a little of what his shirt was hiding. And curiously despite it not being a first time they both get slightly embarrassed... cute :3 Maybe we are not yet at a point in which Zula and Zuzu will be ready for a hug but we are getting there :D
Coming to the end of the chapter I also want to say that You are doing a great job of writing Azula as someone who is fairly confident but not suicidal to the point of lacking doubts. I also like it how she slowly startes to rely more on Zuko's encouragements and that he is giving her any - which highlights growing closeness between the two of them.

Can't wait for the next chapter :D and hopefully it will be Zuko's chance to shine after the mediocre showing in the tavern as the Blue Spirit is the specialist You would want if You were in need of getting money quickly!

Cheers and thanks for Your hard work,
SB
mm1005 chapter 14 . 9/6/2019
This is so much better than the Zuko and Azula we got from the comics!
JaDe In NighT chapter 14 . 9/4/2019
Zucest , zucest , zucest , zucest. I expect our amazing fire team to steal from rich snobs , that's pretty much the only way they can get that much money so fast. I would love to see if they just decide to take control of the Fire Nation as duo Firelord (while marrying as they are crowned). Together they balance each other so well , it's just amazing. And every time there is a fight they are always in sync. God I love them.
M chapter 14 . 8/24/2019
Love this. I love how you express Azula's emotions and thoughts. They always seem true to character. Glad to see Azula attempting to comfort Zuko about Ozai. June having backup whips was very surprising yet entertaining! Poor Zuko and Azula. They never catch a break. Love their interactions between each other. Looking forward to the next chapter.