Reviews for Winter
Jelsemium chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
Good work on this! I think it makes complete sense that the Empire wouldn't want the clones to be able to think for themselves and that their efforts to stifle all independent thinking wouldn't always work.
laloga chapter 1 . 3/22/2012
First of all, I loved your take on Rex's whereabouts during the infamous order. It's refreshing, and lends itself to a whole story, imo. Additionally, I enjoyed the way that you used ice & winter as a way to illustrate the "grip" that the Emperor has on Rex's mind - on all the clones' minds, I suppose. (Part of me wants to say it was "chilling," but that would be too awful of a pun, even for me. :P)

Really love this line: "He had wondered quietly about her fate." It's a beautiful bit of writing, and speaks so much about Rex and his relationship with Ahsoka in this story of yours.

My heart went out to him when he found her, and I dearly wanted him to leave the Empire and join Ahsoka, but I could understand that such a thing was not possible in this 'verse. I am glad that you left us with a bit of hope in his letter to Fives. Perhaps one day they'll all be able to overcome their "programming" and leave the Empire.

I agree with some other reviewers: this should be longer! :)

Fantastic job!
KyriaEternal chapter 1 . 3/20/2012
Simply excellent. It clenched my heart so much... It cries for a sequel. A not one-shot.
Fox Scarlen chapter 1 . 3/16/2012
Yes! It's really great to see this published and everything!

I stand by what I said - I think this story is fantastic, and I really love the exploration you've created within Rex's mind after Order 66, and the explanation for the sudden switch in behavior that followed the order.

You kept the interaction between Rex and Ahsoka short and brief, but it still managed to convey that they were both still ready to fight for each other. Ahsoka asking Rex to come with her - that's just so like her, and I love how she's still so trusting even after such horrible things. ;)

Rex's letter to Fives was wonderful, and the hidden message was clear to those of us who know exactly what he's talking about! You did a great job writing it as a normal letter, with his true intentions hidden subtly to the uninformed observer.

Also, I loved Rex's final gift to Ahsoka. That took a lot for him to bring that data to her, and I like how he's still willing to risk himself for her - it shows just how little the order's truly affected him, and how strong he is mentally to be able to resist it. In the end, he's still the Rex we know and love, even if he has to pretend otherwise. ;)

Really, a fantastic piece. I'm happy I could help in some small way, and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future! ;)
Jade-Max chapter 1 . 3/16/2012
Chilling and creepy but also full of hope to a degree.

I like the way you described the flip in the clones, how they seemed to lose all individuality and regress to just being numbers. Doing this from Rex's perspective is inspired because he's got the experience to make him anything but typical.

You showcase that wonderfully by referencing how he's learned to compartmentalize his thoughts and feelings and how he's discovered he can still be a free thinking being to a degree providing he thinks a certain way.

His message to Fives was awesome! I love the idea that the core of his old crew survived and are together; gives me hope he'll rejoin them. When he's fit for more than just light duty, that is.

The ending though... how he's not permitting himself to think but still thinking, just in the 'right' way, on how to help Ahsoka really got me.

His thought patterns, viewing the details of the ships and discovering the lightsaber slash... that's all Rex and it's nice to see him using that without succumbing to the beast within. Having him drop off the datapad with the information for her all the while lamenting the fact he can't go with her, can't trust himself to be more than the the sum of his programming is heart breaking...

And at the same time uplifting because it makes me believe he'll some day beat it. Some day be able to break free of it but, while he's stuck a prisoner of his own mind, he'll be an asset to the Rebels who won't even realize they have a friend on the inside ;)

Great exposition and introspection on a plausible and less explored possibility of Order 66.
sachariah chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
Great work! Sad, angsty, but wonderful take on Rex's thoughts post-Cut, Umbara and Order 66. The writing was chilling - I literally shivered at some of the lines.

I was a little unsure about the end - was Rex letting Ahsoka escape by leaving her ship? Or was something else going on? Sorry if I'm being dense - I had to read in a hurry, but I'll definitely look at this again.

Wondeful job! :)