Reviews for The Wisdom of Friendship
RavenLady chapter 2 . 5/13/2005
Fascinating, as usual. I hadn't thought much about the fact that Men met the Avari before meeting the Noldor . . . it's interesting to see the differences.

I always found it hard to get interested in Finrod and the more sensible of the Noldor, precisely because they admit their mistakes. But oh, it's not as easy as it looks, is it? Thank you.
Prophetic Fire chapter 2 . 8/21/2003
Okay, I'm getting really bad at voicing my opinion. Whilst I would like to contribute something constructive and helpful, I find myself doing naught but bouncing up and down on the computer chair going 'Yayyayyay moremore!' This is getting me nowhere. At least I have an imagination, and didn't say 'Yayyayyay moremore!' outright. But alas, I am babbling yet again. *pulls zipper across mouth*
naltariel chapter 2 . 5/28/2002
Now the intelligent review...yea Finrod is probably the wisest among the Noldor's exile. he could reflected his deeds and mistakes. he knew hemade mistakes, yet sought to redeem them rather than drowned in self regret or turn away completely like maedhros. He seemed to be the most compassionate ones, esp to humans. Perhaps becoz he had had premonition of his own mortality in short time?
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 5/27/2002
"This guy is all over the place. We find him in Doriath...And that's by no means the end of it. What's he running from?"

-Or _towards_?

I find myself fascinated by the sense of strange destiny that ties all the strands together in the end - realizing with Sam that we are in the _same_ story. The sense of _completeness_ in Finrod's Doom - it is both hideous, terrible, and perfect: 'So I end where I began' - the House of Beor he leads out of Darkness, and he goes into Darkness to save the last of that House, and millenia later his family and Beor's are one, and all that is saved out of the wreck of the Noldor.

'No good deed goes unpunished,' as they say - but Destiny can always be avoided, the challenge refused. Finrod is driven to be a savior, and unlike the rest of the Eldar who in Tolkien's words try to have all, and fade as they grasp at keeping their world unchanged, he makes that ancient choice for a short life and a brilliant, as the stars reckon it.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 2 . 5/27/2002
I've always thought that elven "foresight" is tragic, since it always seems either to come too late to do any good (as here), or to show events that can't be changed (like Finrod's awareness of Aegnor's fate).How terrible it must be for Finrod, to realize he's made such a mistake, and yet to be unable to change his fate.

Perhaps, though, it's his willingness to pay the price of his mistake that earns him his prompt release from Mandos? Still, in his case, I could wish he'd been spared this "wisdom" in favor a having his few years in Beleriand be happy ones.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 2 . 5/27/2002

jillian baade chapter 2 . 5/27/2002
A whole chapter about the massive boo boos the Noldor. Never could understand why Amarie didn't follow Finrod, or he stay. As for his brother Aegnor, i can't understand why everybody keeps blaming Morgoth for the fact he didn't wed Andreth. Seems odd to me, maybe someone could explain that? Ah, i forgot to say that i enjoyed this chapter, and in fact the whole story immensely. Shows the elves aren't as infalible and wise as they like to make out.
Mouse chapter 2 . 5/26/2002
This is an absolute gem. The relationship and understanding between Finrod and Balan is so tangible. Finrod's hindsight brings chills. So sad, so wonderful.
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/26/2002
ehm... *cries*. Ok I know its silly but.. but.. Finrod.. I mean, I ADORE him and you wrtie him so beautifully. Its matching the canon of course that Men considered him a Vala! ( is picturing him in my mind). Your Finrod never cease to amaze me. His humility, telling the downfall of his people, how he fell in love with them, pity them and teach them.

OK. I must read this whole thing allover again to post more review.
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 5/26/2002
Galadriel is charming (and I am glad you don't go with the cleaned-up perfect version of her) but it is a shame that Finrod won't trust her.

So it was his foresight that made Finrod realise that the exiles were doomed, and that his choice to follow them had been mistaken. It seems cruel of the Valar, if they were going to give him these visions, not to give them when he could have chosen otherwise. But would he have turned aside. even had he known what would be?

Thank you for filling in this piece of Finrod's tragedy.
jillian baade chapter 1 . 5/26/2002
Sweet, the friendship between Finrod and Balan, and Finrod's desire to teach these people, and his wish to learn. Of course Balan and Finrod compared their people, it is interesting that Finrod feels pity for the short lives of the mortals, and Balan feels pity for the folly of the Noldor. This story also shows that deep down mortals and elves really aren't that different, and the Valar made a HUGE mistake when they didn't take the mortals under their wing they way they did the elves.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 5/24/2002
I really like your thoughts about wisdom here, as sad as they are. It would make sense that immortal beings would be infinitely wise, as they could just keep learning. But somehow it doesn't work that way. They can accumulate knowlege, but the ability to make wrong decisions - and to flee from self awareness and the wisdom that it brings - remains.

I would like to see the moment when Finrod realizes that he made the wrong decision when he left Valinor. He seems so sure of himself in the earlier stories, and now he is equally sure he was wrong. What made him change his mind?
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 5/23/2002
Another beautiful piece. I like the way you tell the story through the alternating viewpoints of Finrod and Balan; it highlights both the similarities and the differences between the two races beautifully. And Finrod's melancholic foretelling at the end of the story is so sad, yet appropriate; it's clear that, despite his objections, he HAS earned the name "Wisdom", since even at this first meeting he already senses the seed of the discord that will eventually grow between (some) Men and the elder Children - envy, of both Elven achievements and Elven longevity.
Soledad chapter 1 . 5/23/2002
Now, that was interesting! I especially liked Bëor's reaction when he first caught a glimpse of the Eldar. And the difference between Eldar and Avari, realized by a mortal, says more than if one of the two parties would go ranting about it.
Nessamelda chapter 1 . 5/23/2002
very good. I REALLY enjoyed this (not knowing lots about Finrod Felagund but knowing the name form the Simarillion) I love the way it's been written. Very very good.