Reviews for Rejoin the Dance
Elrond's Scribe chapter 1 . 6/29/2013
Oh, Elu, Melian, please don't mourn forever. You'll see Luthien again when Arda is remade.

I don't get why Thingol is viewed as a mean old scumbag. I mean, really people? Just 'cause he loves his daughter and didn't want to give her up to Beren and mortality? O but that isn't people's real issue with him, is it? It has to do with the Silmaril, right? Like it woudn't have burned y'all Elu Haters' nasty lil' hands if one o' y'all picked it up.

And no, I don't really speak like that, I just had a point to make. I hope I made it.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 5/13/2005
Beautiful and poignant. I'm lost for words, really.
Ren chapter 1 . 10/25/2003
Wow. Breathtakingly beautiful, and so poignantly sad...now, i'm depressed...::sigh:: And the fact that Sarah McLachlan's 'Full of Grace' and 'Last Dance' was playing in the background while I was reading this story deosn't help... Beautifully written. Just beautiful.
TreeHugger chapter 1 . 7/10/2003
This was just gorgeous! Absolutely stunning and so very lyrical and beautifully wrought! I don't think that Elu Thingol is the Meanest Old Bastard, I think anyone who truly believes that doesn't look hard enough to see why he did what he did! He was king, but he was a father! Anyone who wants to protect their daughter would do what they could to prevent them from being hurt. He may not have realized that his daughter was tripping out with a mortal, and yes, it took Daeron a while to tell what was going on ( I won't get started on Daeron's motivations, let me just say he is my favorite Silm elf, strange as that is and am rather biased in his favor), but Elu just wanted the mortal out of their lives, and the impossible quest he set Beren on should have solved his problem... only it didn't. :(

Anyway...sorry. I like Thingol and this story is just so touching and wonderful! They way he is grieving over what they have lost, and finding beauty and happiness, shortlived though it is, in watching his wife dance, which is so very appropriate given Luthien's love of dancing. She is doing it for him "She dances a lot of late, and always when I am there to see it." Melian is so very wise and she would know how to help ease her own grief and that of her husband's, at least as much as that grief can be relieved. :(

Luthien's dance held magic and you show so wonderfully that Melian's does as well. All his feelings of grief, hate, loss - they ease when he sees her dancing.

"Sometimes… when I remember Luthien. I would look on something I have seen a thousand times before, a window, a tree, an intersection of corridors, and recall how she would sit by that window, or climb that tree, or hide behind the corner and leap out to surprise me. And then time stops, and I could stand there for days.

At those times, and when Melian dances. Then sometimes I forget."

That is just so touching. There are many things I could point out about this tale that are just...well amazing!

I would weep to the end of Arda if I could, but now I fear I would die as a mortal man before my tears are spent.

Yes, elves do die of grief. :( :( A child dying before their parents is just "not right" and I would think therefore much harder to bear than any other loss. You would want to die. :(

I pursue her to a clearing in the heart of the woods, and there I collapse in helpless exhaustion.

Then she stands before me, and she dances.

She dances the air back into my chest, the swiftness back to my weary feet, she dances the darkness away from the woods…

She dances the life back to my kingdom and the life back into my heart…

For one moment, one moment in which I am happy…

Then I remember Luthien.

The breath catches in my throat, and I fall, seeking to bury my face in the ground, but she dances no more. She comes towards me, and she takes me in her arms, and she whispers in my ear in her voice that is like the song of the Lomelindi…

“Elu, beloved, this is life: sometimes you may weep, but you must join the dance.”

And before I can understand those words, she grasps my hand firmly in hers, and she leads me forward into the clearing…

And we dance.

This entire section was perfect! His wanting to live shown in his pursuit of her, his exhaustion and not wanting to go on; then she dances and life returns, but he remembers the sorrow and wants to lie down and cease himself. But she rises him up and yes! This is life, happiness, joy, sorrow, pain. This is living! That is just...wow! :)

And now at the end she has given him life, and her sorrow has returned. She gave all she had to make him live again, and now he must give it back to her in return.

This was wonderful! I am so very glad that I found this! Thank you so very much!

Elenath sila am le! (Stars shine upon you!)
Hellga chapter 1 . 3/7/2003
Ghrm. I love your stories, and it pains me to see one of them departing from canon. Silly, I know :) Thingol got killed (stupid Broadbeams!) before Luthien died. I will understand, though, if you wanted to play with idea of Thingol and Melian coping with her death, and "maiar-ish" way to think about death. Please warn about A/U of this story :) Save another Hellga from heart attack :)
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 11/28/2002
The imagery in this is brilliant. Everything, actually, is brilliant. The dance metaphor, the pain and loss that Thingol feels...it's wonderful, right to the very end. Let's see if there's room on my favorites list. (If there isn't, know that I've bookmarked the page.)
arabella thorne chapter 1 . 10/20/2002
The rhythm of this dances and it is beautifully written...and so very very elvish *grins*

You have great control of your gift. Not a wasted word or motion..I do not know the Silmarilion well (having only read it once when it was first published) but this is very...lyrical and poetic
Glorfie-chan chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Awwwww... I never cared much for Thingol because he was so mean to Beren and locked up his own daughter in a tree, but you do a great job of the grief here.
Person chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
Thingol is my second-favorite Tolkien character (as Pippin is and always will be my baby), and calling him a "Mean old bastard" isn't quite appropriate. He was an excellent king-there's no denying it. At any rate, I loved the images in this story, and how he found joy in Melian even after Luthien was gone. Of course, the true irony in this is that Luthien ended up outliving him (after her 'reappearance' with Beren).
romeosrosethorn chapter 1 . 8/3/2002
wow. truly awe-inspiring.

I play Melian on Livejournal for MESPT. [ .com ] and this just really hit strings for me and the player of Luthien. we both cried. thank you so much for this story, its was absolutely gorgeous.
dreamkin chapter 1 . 6/4/2002
o i dont know what to say...that made me cry it was so beautiful. you are an extremely gifted author. its the highest praise i can give you. *dreamkin
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 5/27/2002
Actually, The Professor told his Beta Reader* that Thingol wasn't bad, just overprotective, and with pretty good reason, given that the Dark Lord and his chief Minion had been trying to infiltrate Doriath with ensorcelled drones as well as attacking with open force. Elu just assumes that anyone as sane and levelheaded as Luthien has to be under some kind of really bad spell to fall for "this inarticulate punk in ripped camouflage" ** less than 1/1000 of her age. After all, it isn't like he was the stereotypical paranoid dad before then - she runs around as she pleases, hangs out with musicians till all hours, and is in fact dating That Guy for almost a year before Jealous Dude blows the whistle on them. So yes, he overreacts, but it's not as black-and-white as the standard Heavy Father of Victorian Melodrama.

Fun to see more exploration of Immortal ways - I've found a good way to find good Tolkien fanfic is to search Silmarillion anymore.

* CS Lewis, who commented on the Lay in words to the effect that Thingol was really a jerk.

** Yes, this is a snip from the forthcoming update of "A Boy, A Girl, and a Dog - the Leithian Script Project"
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 5/26/2002
Beautiful... so intriguing, and almost, well, magical. Just like a dream, if you see what I mean. I love your characterisation of Melian, and Thingol is so very believable. No, he isn't a mean old bastard. _
jillian baade chapter 1 . 5/25/2002
Well, now maybe i have a bit more sympathy for Thingol, I never did hate him but thought him a grumpy old bastard. Great story.
Jedi-Aerin Silmarillion junkie chapter 1 . 5/25/2002
whoa. the master of fan fiction tragedy. Yor riting is beautiful, characterization flawless and true, and your style molded to fit this tyoe of medium. Good freakin' job! can you do one on Tar-Miriel? PLEASE?