Reviews for Nutrisco et extinguo
moreteaplease chapter 53 . 1/25
Oh my. Epic! I just read this in a lovely 4 hour Sunday evening sitting, perfect. Although you finished this years ago I thought I had to drop a review in.
You are a very good writer, incredibly in depth and I loved all the added extras, folk stories, Latin page tops etc, it made the entire story seem very intelligent.
I have to admit that by chapter 35 (!) I had begun to speed read, as I read FF to pass evenings when sleep is elusive, and as such tend to prefer more John / Sherlock dialogue. However, I felt I had to keep going with this story as the hope that you wrote the reunion of the terrible twosome as eloquently and thoroughly as you did their separation, and I was not disappointed!
The line about 'being hairdryered by my flatmate' is classic.
A great story, one you should be proud of!
I hope you're still enjoying FF, and that a review years on makes you smile.
Thank you for a great read, and a very enjoyable Sunday evening here in the snowy UK.
Night night!
Sue.
Dannia chapter 52 . 1/2
Well!
That is quite a story! So full of angst, I think I cried a few times! ( maybe more than a few) I think is really a good one, usually I'm not up to read such sad stories, I love fluff and avoid sad as much as I can, so for me that I'd managed to read a really long one only means that is a really really good one. So, congrats! And Thank you so much for sharing it with the world, it is truly amazing and well written.
I wonder if it will have a part2?
Well... I'll read you around in your other stories, that I must say are also great ones.
AnotherFadingSpark chapter 53 . 11/2/2014
Hi there!

I just finished your story and wanted to leave a review, as I know that as an author one craves the feedback of readers ;-)

I came across your story when I was searching for something to help me pass the time at work, when there was nothing to do – I sometimes have slow days… Since I love getting involved with characters and “not having to leave them” too quickly, I was looking for a long story that would stay with me for some time. I found your story, which was already finished by then, and I plunged into it headfirst ;-)

I found all of your characters extremely well written. The ones we know from the show were spot-on, I could actually hear the dialogs in the characters actors’ voices in my head.

But you managed to bring life also to characters that were not on the show (yet) and those too were extremely believable, life-like and three-dimensional. I liked Mary a lot (and I read your story after I saw series 3, twice - she was at the same time very different from the Mary in series 3 and yet very much like her). She was a beautiful, strong person, a true friend and lover for John. It was believable that they fell in love and kept on loving each other, even (or maybe because of?) with all their predicaments.

I have a deep respect for the work you put into the story- I have no clue how much of the background info you had to research, and how much you maybe know from your education or line of work, but still I think you must have done extensive research on a lot of things. I am an impatient person myself, so I feel stressed just thinking about that kind of work, therefore: kudos!

I noticed that I skipped the lyrics in the chapters later on – I read them maybe for the first 10 or so chapters and then not anymore. Sorry about that – I know you intended it to belong together, but since I read this at work, I couldn’t listen to the music and therefore the lyrics didn’t “speak” to me as they very probably would have, had I listened to the music. I promise to listen to some of the songs another time, at home, and maybe revisit your story afterwards.

A by-note: I sometimes found minor typos, but didn’t put them down anywhere, I didn’t think they were crucial – but if you want to fix them, you could let new readers know that by stating so in the notes at the beginning of a chapter – then you probably can catch all of them J

Also, I wanted to let you know that I am currently going through a hard time myself- I suffer from serious heart break, over my boyfriend from 7 years, who decided to tell me, he didn’t love me anymore. These things happen, and I know it will get better eventually. But knowing and believing are two different pairs of shoes, so I am suffering. Reading your characters’ sufferings, I could see (and believe!) that others know the feeling. Others suffer as well. Others have found a way to cope. Live goes on. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel. And in darkest times, there is always a story that can keep your mind busy and off things you do not wish to re-think over and over again. Your last couple of chapters helped me feel love again – if only from a third person’s point of view, but I actually felt how new-found love, requited love, feels like. This is the reason to go on with life- this will happen again. And when it happens, it’s glorious. So thanks for that, thanks for giving me hope!

I guess, I will now read your other stories- and if you ever need a beta, let me know. I am not an English native speaker, I’m German, but maybe I can be of help someday ;-)
p.c88 chapter 53 . 3/24/2014
Finally got to the end of your story! It was really beautiful, and I um just had to sneak reading it at work hahaha. I couldn't wait to see what happened next! Well done on the plot!

I loved your character portrayal very much - your Molly was badass despite having very few chapters to herself, and Irene Adler was especially well written. Everything she said, I could hear in my mind in her voice!

I also find it great that you were able to introduce OCs but still keep the story's focus on the main characters. Granted, your Mary was sort of an OC, but I understand she's important to John's character development and is technically canon so I can accept her somewhat haha. Seb was mostly OC, but he did remind me so much of a Moriarty in some scenes that I can't help but feel you captured his 'mimicking' quite solidly.

If I had any complaint, it's that I sometimes find it a bit tedious to read one scene in one person's POV and getting to the next chapter, only to have to read the same scene again in a 2nd person's POV. However, I do think this style of writing is very suitable for this angsty feely type of story, as it makes the character's thoughts resonate with readers. You also paced and alternated the character POVs far apart enough that I never did get bored reading chapter after chapter. Reading the same character for two chapters in a row might be a bit much, so I'm glad you chose not to do one character twice in a row :)

Oh! I did have a bit of trouble getting past the whole John/Mary bit, but I think that was the Johnlock fan in me ;)

Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm looking forward to reading more :)
p.c88 chapter 13 . 3/17/2014
Oh good Lord, this was the most awfully heart wrenching chapter so far - it's had me sobbing into a handkerchief before it was even halfway done.

You have an incredible talent in writing angst. I can't wait to read the other chapters! Thank you for sharing!
DeathKnight KiraKira chapter 53 . 2/17/2014
That was absolutely, no joke, the best fanfiction I've read thus far. It was exciting and never ceased to surprise me- even at the very end. The story, as a whole, was full of suspense and... I do t even know where I'm going with this. (Sorry... Rambling) It was amazing!
No-Life-MUST-READ chapter 1 . 1/29/2014
amazing!
GreenEyes chapter 53 . 1/15/2014
Hi to you! I just wanted to thank you for the beautiful story you gave us ! Very well constructed second characters , great plot and a lot of emotions . Good cipher by the way, I finally found the keyword after 4 times (cute by the way). Goodbye and fare well, I'm going to check your other stories o Oh and I already loved Ingrid Michaelson , great to see you re making other people discover her!
Guest chapter 53 . 12/7/2013
Great story. Kudos on making Mary a truly interesting character rather than a simplistic boring replacement wife as many other fics have done.
lisa.ryanz1oh1 chapter 53 . 11/25/2013
Took me 7 hours to read it. Once i started I was well and truly hooked. Its been an amazing ride and your writing style is gripping. Although around chapter 21 I was itching to get my hands around Moriarty's disembodied neck, Sherlock's spiral into madness was well played out. It has been an honour to read this story. Not quite a fairy tale, but then at least you gave them a sort of 'happy ever after'. Will be returning to read this one again after its settled.

But do tell what that last cipher is. What last message does John leave for Sherlock?
jbug chapter 53 . 11/10/2013
I loved your story and, to quote John Watson, "That was amazing! " Keep up the great work!
The Puzzler of Riddles chapter 1 . 11/8/2013
I just spent an hour trying to find a half-way decent fic. Most of them were stilted, overly cliched, or just plain bad. I clicked on this one and it looks awesome! I don't usually review first chapters on ficts, I'm just so excited to have found one that can "suck me in"!
Walabean chapter 53 . 10/27/2013
Dear God I can't believe I read this in two nights, especially when I'm in the middle of writing my final year dissertation...you have an utterly addictive writing style...just, thank you
Heredhether chapter 53 . 10/2/2013
Thank you for this amazing story; I've spend 10 unforgettable days (or rather nights) with it. Thanks for a lot of nice songs I've discovered in it, for the chance to refresh my knowledge of Latin, and for the story so great and touching that I don't want another season of Sherlock after reading it, because it can never be this perfect. The emotions and psychology are so flawlessly depicted that I've felt like I actually spent 3 long years with real people – and there was something in every character that made me fall in love with them. Your Sebastian Moran is the most interesting character I've encountered in a very long time. Sherlock's mission – that was one hell of a ride! But still absolutely believable, as well as John's hard dealing with the loss of Sherlock (in life situations like this one really feels and does weird things, and the world is changed for them forever, and it was this genuineness that I liked a lot). And when I was reading about that beautiful happy end of theirs I actually felt like fall in love – what an unprecedented thing! So thanks for all the emotions, adventure, food for thought and very positive artistic experience in general. Greetings from the Czech Republic!
Asher chapter 53 . 9/26/2013
Oh. My. God. By far, the best fanfiction I've ever read. Of any genre. The effort and time you put into this story blows me away. I wish every fanfiction author put this much effort into their stories. Outstanding work. I'm actually going to look at your other stories right now.