Reviews for Poetic Arda
TheDarkLordofDoom chapter 13 . 3/8
I recently chanced upon this collection, and I find myself rather enjoying it. I decided to review this particular poem about Mandos' halls, as a pantoum is a rare find indeed- besides, for a Namo fanatic like me, this seems just about the perfect poem.

The pantoum's style of repetition does rather fit with Mandos' halls. The way each repeated line fits into the larger poem manages to convey, in a manner, the timelessness and the unending nature of the halls.

"Stories hung upon the walls, Every thread a single fate" is a very fitting reference to Vaire's work indeed. The Halls of Mandos are not the drear halls of waiting elves seem to dread- they are equally a place of art and healing.

"Whom Mandos to his halls calls must pass through the iron gate" is not a sentence I quite agree with, as it first of all could be phrased in a better way (judging by the rather high standard set), and besides, the word 'Iron Gate' seems to recall that image of a bleak prison, which I wholly oppose.

"Fate of every man or elf... stories hung upon the walls" is probably my favourite stanza, again listing how Vaire records their deeds- of valour, honour, wisdom or foolishness. I also like the fact that you have mentioned that Mandos 'calls' the fear (forgive the lack of umlaut) of those in his halls, instead of 'summoning' them.

However, like most poems, this one seems to focus on the spirits of elves and men, not Namo the Doomsman. I would indeed be glad to review a poem about the Doomsman himself.
Sophia the Scribe chapter 30 . 7/15/2016
Another great job! Poor Maedhros...bound to follow in his father's fiery fate. (Ha, alliteration for the win...). I especially liked the third, fourth, and last stanzas. Keep it up!
Blessings,
Sophia
Sophia the Scribe chapter 29 . 7/15/2016
Lovely job!
Sophia
HeartoftheArtsari chapter 28 . 4/8/2016
Wonderful! Really enjoyed these poems! ;)
HeartoftheArtsari chapter 14 . 4/8/2016
You've painted a mural far and wide with these poems . . . and it has been utterly compelling and beautifully skilled! :)
mrspencil chapter 24 . 12/6/2014
Another lovely set of verses
I am so glad I stumbled across your writing:-)
Mrs P:-)
mrspencil chapter 19 . 12/6/2014
Sad, but beautifully penned:-)
mrspencil chapter 17 . 12/6/2014
A vivid description of the marshes, the repetition works well.
mrspencil chapter 15 . 12/6/2014
Particularly impressed with this poem...:-)
mrspencil chapter 14 . 12/6/2014
Again, you pick your subjects very well to fit the poem form:-)
mrspencil chapter 13 . 12/6/2014
The weaving subject works very well with the woven pattern of the pantoum:-)
mrspencil chapter 12 . 12/6/2014
And you kept to the sonnet form very well...such a poignant poem...perfect for a sonnet.
mrspencil chapter 9 . 12/6/2014
Interesting pattern...gives it a quick and fleeting feel
mrspencil chapter 5 . 12/6/2014
I think this works very well...you follow the form without the sense being overwhelmed.
mrspencil chapter 3 . 12/6/2014
Not tried this type of poem...quite a striking effect:-)