Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
tatithegreat8 chapter 64 . 7/13
Personally, this has been one of the most well-written, engaging, and beautiful works of Harry Potter fiction I have ever read. It is very rarely that I find something that makes me sob uncontrollably, although this story has spectacularly succeeded. I've literally been bawling for the past five minutes without any signs of ceasing any time soon (I'm still sobbing as I write this review, actually). Trust me, other than the original HP books I have never cried for anything that is not happening to me personally, and even then I barely cry. Perhaps that would make me apt for Occlumency, I don't know... Anyway, this gave a much needed insight into the mind of one of the most complex characters I have ever had the fortune to read about. It made me, in a way, feel with Severus, and I found myself connecting with the character that has been so beautifully elaborated in this story. It's actually at the point were I am facing a bit of a nervous breakdown - as Snape had, on several occasions, something I could also relate to - due to the fact that it's all over. It could also be in part that I am still in negation that Severus had to die (I am still suffering through the five stages of grief, despite the fact I never knew him or anything. I've been stuck in the denial stage for a few years at this point), but alas, what must be done, must be done. I just wanted to say that it was impeccably done and that I look forward to giving it another read - and cry - in the near future.

Cheers.
Moka-girl chapter 2 . 7/9
Ohhhh, things are getting serious. It's all very well-written and you really get the readers to immerse themselves in the story.
Moka-girl chapter 1 . 7/9
The accents of the people at the mill and the general tone of the story, well it's all very realistic and accurate from what I can see.
Krissy001 chapter 64 . 6/1
This was a privilege to read. I admire your dedication in completing this story, as most writers of fanfiction seem to start on a story too large of an undertaking, and then end up abandoning it due to lack of planning or response. Therefore, to find a story spanning the entirety of a characters life, that is not only well written, but also completed, was impressive. I like that you didn’t try to whitewash Snape, and instead maintained that he was a flawed character, but that many of his despicable actions could be explained through logic and necessity. Occasionally I found myself contemplating his actions or words and wondering if that was really something J.K. Rowling’s Snape would do or say, but, regardless of how well they conformed to cannon, they did make sense it the context of your portrayal of Snape. The only other issue I can recall is that some plot points you included at the beginning of the story seemed to be dropped or forgotten as the plot moved forward, thus resulting in the tale seeming a bit disjointed at times. However, overall, this story was spectacular, and I look forward to reading it again in the future.
This story is pure gold. I love it so much you don't even know.
I feel so sad knowing that things don't turn out in a happy ending, yet it is refreshing to see someone tell a story in the real world, where things don't always have a happy ending.
Not sure why you did bother with that bit about the Mercury Seven, it sort of interrupted my flow while reading. Other than that, this is quite good.
slightlysickpsycho chapter 2 . 5/19
I'm curious about you having him go by Russ as a child... Maybe it helps separate who he is from who he becomes
slightlysickpsycho chapter 1 . 5/19
Great start! Your writing is delightful.
Amazing book I loved every bit of it great read and grammar the author should be very proud of their work!
JL
Assasin Nero chapter 3 . 4/30
Why change his name (or shorten it in a weird fashion)? The rest is great
Assasin Nero chapter 2 . 4/30
Quite. long fic, hope fully great. It's all good so far (though it was a chore reading that accent).
Era chapter 39 . 4/23
Actually Moaning Myrtle was a ravenclaw
blackrose9 chapter 64 . 4/5
such a wonderful, sad story. poor severus.

you write very well. it was wonderful to have more depth to his character and to see how harrys growing hatred blinded him. well done.
RedzoneJoe chapter 1 . 3/31
A remarkably well written and well thought-out story. I enjoyed reading every chapter. I'm off now to see what else you've written, because after finishing this one could do nothing less.