Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
GuessLess chapter 64 . 10/12
This is the best canon-compatible story I've ever read, thank you very much for writing and sharing it. I cried and laughed and was generally fascinated by your story-telling. If not for the corrections re. the timeline faults in JKR's writing, I would be convinced JKR herself wrote this wonderful story. The Bombyx mori reference was also an ingenious bit.

The whole deduction how Occlumency might work, the reasons leading him to join the DEs, then those turning him away from Voldemort, his role as a spy, as a Headmaster, his relationship with Dumbledore, etc... you completed the missing parts of the original story beautifully, and I thank you for this.
swtiam chapter 24 . 9/27
however i like the writing style of you.
swtiam chapter 24 . 9/27
but it was Igor Karkoff who gave the names of the others. Snape never made it at trails. Dumbledore had saved him from the interrogation as it was very clear in the books.
swtiam chapter 23 . 9/26
its really sad part of him.. i feel really pity for Seberus.
swtiam chapter 1 . 9/25
nice story..
I just finished reading this after a couple weeks of enjoying hearin snapes side of everything ! I wish I could have this story in book form on my shelf. Haven't been so emotionally moved at the end of a book for a long, long time. I didn't want it to be over of course, but mostly it was snapes realization that he had been led to slaughter by dumbledore as well. It breaks your heart how sorrowful a life Snape led. I hope he had a much better afterlife. Thank you for this beautiful and touching story.
Aidenk77 chapter 64 . 9/7
I find it difficult to express how much I enjoyed this story. It was supremely written, detailed, well researched, full of trivia and absolutely wonderful.

The ending was beautifully done. Emotional but not overly wrought. I can only thank you for writing this.
Lena T. Rose chapter 64 . 9/2
I just finished...It has been without a doubt absolutely amazing. This has been a most spectacular story.
Lena T. Rose chapter 34 . 8/30
This story is absolutely fantastic! Best Snape story I've read in quite a while!
HedgeSage chapter 64 . 8/16
I previously held a great dislike for Severus Snape, but this story has really changed my mind on him. This is probably the most well written fanfiction I've ever read.
blaqfiniks chapter 64 . 8/14
I'm clearly not the fan of fanfiction dot net, so it's truly amazing I've stumbled upon this story here.

First of all, the story is /not/ exactly canon-compatible; for the most parts - yes, indeed, but there were quite a few glitches that were not canonnish. Despite this fact, it was a good read, though rather "heavy" - it took me longer to finish then most fics of the same size because of difficult and somewhat draging(?) writing.
I cannot lay a finger at Russ' (reading this nickname was somewhat disturbing for no apoarent reason for me; and I believe, though it never was told in canon I guess, his full name should have been Severus Tobias Snape) childhood 'cause this part never truly had been explained in canon, but your view is... interesting, though my impression of canon was that Severus hated his father, while you made it seem as he still loved him somehow.
The names of the tv shows Russ watched and the names of movies Severus saw, i.e. was the "Avengers" tv show in that time? 'Cause the only "Avengers" I know of are modern (and I didn't watch that either).
You completely abandoned Snape teaching Draco spell-creation after his(Draco's) summer assignment. You could have mentioned the boy failed or smth, for example.
I think McGonagall has no children in canon...
The whole DE organisation seem like it has all the whole lot ppl out there, while the canon impression is more subtle and the Ministry seems to have all the ppl.
Muggle integrated wizards. Canon gives the viewpoint that muggle and wizarding worlds are as separated as possible, while you operate with many wizards actually inegrating with muggles (buying the apartments, i.e). And in general you have MANY wizards, almost like the whole Britain is packed with wizards, while canon is more subtle with magic population.
Hagrid is more cohirent then ever in canon and good to Snape all the time. I find it difficult to believe... though without him Severus would have been long dead in your story in the begining...
Those were the most prominent glitches I remembered.

On the good note, thank you for you enormous work rewriting the canon from Severus' pov. He seem much more human with those serious psycological issues - the whole occluding thing without contious thought resulting in hysterics, pain (fisical or emotional) giving him most clarityof mind. He was genious. And why genious ppl are usually the loner ones? It is horibly sad actually.
The ending was vey emotional. Made me really cry.

Severus. A prisoner for life. Even in childhood he was never free... Only the green eyes could have saved him...

P.S. I really loved Snape-Moody moments.
guest chapter 17 . 8/7
tatithegreat8 chapter 64 . 7/13
Personally, this has been one of the most well-written, engaging, and beautiful works of Harry Potter fiction I have ever read. It is very rarely that I find something that makes me sob uncontrollably, although this story has spectacularly succeeded. I've literally been bawling for the past five minutes without any signs of ceasing any time soon (I'm still sobbing as I write this review, actually). Trust me, other than the original HP books I have never cried for anything that is not happening to me personally, and even then I barely cry. Perhaps that would make me apt for Occlumency, I don't know... Anyway, this gave a much needed insight into the mind of one of the most complex characters I have ever had the fortune to read about. It made me, in a way, feel with Severus, and I found myself connecting with the character that has been so beautifully elaborated in this story. It's actually at the point were I am facing a bit of a nervous breakdown - as Snape had, on several occasions, something I could also relate to - due to the fact that it's all over. It could also be in part that I am still in negation that Severus had to die (I am still suffering through the five stages of grief, despite the fact I never knew him or anything. I've been stuck in the denial stage for a few years at this point), but alas, what must be done, must be done. I just wanted to say that it was impeccably done and that I look forward to giving it another read - and cry - in the near future.

Moka-girl chapter 2 . 7/9
Ohhhh, things are getting serious. It's all very well-written and you really get the readers to immerse themselves in the story.
Moka-girl chapter 1 . 7/9
The accents of the people at the mill and the general tone of the story, well it's all very realistic and accurate from what I can see.