Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
rickfan37 chapter 1 . 21h
This review is for the whole 640000-odd words!

It's been a while since I read Snapefic, I wrote a ton back in the day (although not as much as you!) and Snape/OFC is my ship.
Anyway, I adore Snape. I love to delve into and write his back story and I was most interested when I saw your fic recced on a Facebook group.
It took me an age to read, 2 chapters a night, and I couldn't wait to get to bed to read more! Lovely long meaty chapters, too.
The story was well paced where it fleshed out the canon's timeline. The language and style of writing is both readable and obviously written by a very capable communicator. Well written, and grammatically correct, AND well paced? A joy to read.
I really liked your Snape. He was caustic but very funny and endearing.
I loved that Dumbledore and Hagrid looked after him when he was a boy.
Thanks for this fic, it was a great read, and I'm glad there's a lot more for me to read!
You should be published. I've rewritten mine and am selling it; if you could do something similar, you could too. 18yrs after finishing my main stories, I've been able to look at it afresh and de-Hogwarts it - yours could work too, especially the childhood parts.
BlackLily chapter 64 . 11/16
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing masterpiece!
The depths of character and story telling is breath taking... you made me understand and love Snape more than ever. Also, I enjoyed so much your attention to detail in all the disciplines (literatre, chemistry, magic, astronomy, biology, psychology, cuisine etc) that you incorporated into the plot.
Your portrayal of Snape is not an infallible, always stong superhero, but a completely human character who made good and bad choices, faced unbelivable sufferings yet did not lose his ability to love, and unlimately gave everything out of love.
Such a beatiful and incredible tribute to Snape and to love itself - Love is not a temporary feeling but a life long commitment. Love is not in the words but in the actions.
Dark.Entries chapter 64 . 10/21
This has been beyond amazing. You totally broke my heart! Your characters are just sooo human and relatable... much more than JK Rowling's in fact, if I dare saying so! I especially loved the interactions between Severus and Hagrid. Thank you for sharing such a brilliant masterpiece with us. It has been a true privilege.
catbythefirelight chapter 64 . 9/16
You... This story. THIS STORY. Is an epic. It's a sheer work of art. Your depth of understanding of Snape's character, of Dumbledore's character, is incredible. You wove in so many elements of death, Shakespeare, genealogy, astronomy, and culture seamlessly to give us the one thing Snape fans always wanted: a narrative of Snape's incredible journey. What a beautiful love letter to his character.

Thank you for sharing this with us, thank you.

Please keep writing, for your art is incredible and you have a gift. xoxo
I didn't know she could apparate
Liberal Librarian chapter 64 . 8/29
I have just finished reading this epic piece of fanfiction today. Thank you so much for taking the time, which must have been considerable, and making the equally considerable effort to write this (in my view) canon-compliant story (which word does not do it justice.) I can only commend your meticulous attention to detail and remarkable ability to work your own ideas so seamlessly into JK Rowling's original plot lines. I have tiny nitpicks...the use of the word "mommy" and some other American turns of phrase...but seriously, these are as grains of sand on the beach...insignificant when considered as part of the bigger picture.
The most moving aspect of the whole tale, for me, was your reference to Hans Christian Anderson's "The Steadfast Tin Soldier". What a perfect analogy for Severus Snape.
Once again, thank you.
OctavCat chapter 4 . 8/20
Oh, this story is going to be sad... It was time I read it though.
Raven-Scylla chapter 1 . 8/2
Today’s successful splashdown of SpaceX’s Dragon capsule reminded me of my favourite HP fan fic... and I’m hoping that somewhere in a universe not too far away there’s a little boy waiting for a little girl to give him the all clear that the astronauts have made it safely back to earth.
Raven-Scylla chapter 1 . 8/2
Wow, this chapter is amazing. I love it. Does Snape suspect that Sirius is putting something in his food?
Brightened chapter 64 . 7/20
Wow. I know this story is 8 years old so you’ll probably never read this but just wow. Absolutely stunning and amazing work of fiction. This should be read by every Harry Potter fan. The journey from little Russ to Snape dying on the floor...ugh. My heart and soul have been touched. Thank you.
Maru2019 chapter 1 . 7/18
This is amazing! It works well with the canon material; I wish Rowling could take a look at this
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
The Unoriginal chapter 1 . 5/29
What is Amazing in this story is how tightly it fits in the crack and crevices of the Canon. You can find in here every time Harry sees Snape do or say something, with a reason that is not the one Harry thinks. Characters that get a passing mention in the books are fleshed out with motives, mannerism, and personality. The author's take on some key events of the book has become my personal headcanon. Worth reading and re-reading.
Hetc chapter 64 . 5/26
That was tremendous.
I wondered how you would manage to make the story feel complete in the last chapter, but it was very moving & very fitting.
Thank you for writing.