Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
Best. Story. Ever.
Rinstail chapter 64 . 11/15/2018
I am speechless.
BlutengelHates chapter 5 . 10/27/2018
I read the 5 chapters quite in a row and I want to tell you your fic is purely brilliant. I cannot get bored once.
I specifically loved every detail about the England of the sixties and seventies you've depicted, the foreign events that occurred at the same time and the interest in the effect of the moon in Russ's life.
In addition, the way you give each character a full development, a real depth, I only can love them for who they are. They are so representative of their class system, of the England of that period... It's well documented.
Your fic is amazing so far. I've been writing a few articles about the fics I've read on Tumblr and I already wrote an article about yours.
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 62 . 10/21/2018
I seem to have accidentally submitted my comment before I was finished, but you will forgive me because my hands are not the steadiest just now. As a personal note, in many ways your portrayal of Snape in this story is like looking into a mirror. It was in canon as well, but more so for broad themes-the loss of a friend, things to be remorseful of, being bullied in school, of a similar background, and personalty traits. I am far too restrained and "locked down" myself to cry for my own life, but I will admit to crying like a bitch in the theater when I saw DH2 and again when I read his death scene in DH after. Your fic hit much more specific similarities. It was the little things-his anxious traits, his love for spaceflight, astronomy, science. I love aerospace myself, I'm studying chemistry, I want to work in a lab. I was told by all those who recommended this fic that the last chapter would make me (or anyone) cry and I thought I was prepared, because I know how he meets his end, what could possibly be new?

The line that did me in was where said he was buried on the hill, where the sky stretched free and at night you could see all the stars. Now I'm crying like a bitch again, just like I was warned, because all I see is sweet little Russ sneaking around with his telescopes and scouring the papers for news of the Apollo missions, how his love of astronomy and science waned but never disappeared as he got older like the moon itself, how when in his office with Voldemort, it was telescopes he discussed with Dumbledore's portrait, and after everything he went through and suffered, finally, finally, it's just him and the freedom of the unrestrained, open expanse of the stars above.

I commend you on the most well-written and heartwrenching piece of fiction I've possibly ever read. Thank you for giving him a story and a person beyond canon-even if it's just speculation on one possible iteration of his existence. It's the least he deserved.
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 63 . 10/21/2018
I seem to have accidentally submitted my comment before I was finished, but you will forgive me because my hands are not the steadiest just now. This is a continuation of my review on chapter 64, but it appears I'm only allowed to post one review per chapter and cannot remove or edit my review once posted, so I'll finish it here.

TheGreatSnapescape chapter 64 . 10/21/2018
For the past couple of weeks I've been absolutely enthralled by this story. I've seen it recommended around and had it saved on my 'to-read' list for ages and now I've finally taken the time to read it.

I'd like to offer a hearty Fuck You, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Snape's story in canon was tragic enough, and even then much of it happens in the margins, in between the lines. Sometimes the vagueness and uncertainty of canon is what makes a story so intriguing and impactful, but by writing out his entire life in minute detail, you've managed to make it infinitely more painful. And the way it's been accomplished was masterful-too many writers try to make a character tragic by making their life an endless sadness fest, but when that is done then each misfortune gets lost in the wash of all the others. True, Snape had more than his fair share of misfortune, but you also showed us positive moments at all stages of his life, moments of laughter and camaraderie, moments of contentment, fascination, passion, and brief joys. That you included the light only served to contrast the dark all the more starkly, and that is where the tragedy of this story lies. You wrote him painfully, so painfully human.
snapiesnape chapter 64 . 10/7/2018
This was such a lovely story- it had me absolutely enraptured for almost 2 weeks. I loved how you portrayed Severus's beautiful mind. I loved his relationship with Hagrid and his friendly bickering with McGonagall. All in all, I fell in love with Russ Snape all over again and thoroughly enjoyed this. And the ending was so bittersweet and simple, yet fitting.
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 24 . 10/1/2018
This story continues to break my heart in new and inventive ways.
tvandel chapter 5 . 9/30/2018
Great story so far
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 12 . 9/28/2018
Though this fic has been published for six full years now, ending this chapter with that line was an act of spite against me, the reader, personally, I'm certain, because it's past 4am now and I've got to be up at a decent hour in the morning so I am forced to suffer the cliffhanger. It's worse actually that the remainder of the fic is published, as if this was a WIP and the next chapter simply yet to be updated, I could rest easy in the knowledge that I had no choice but to wait, but now I have to actually employ self-restraint not to forgo sleep in favor of finding out what happened to Severus' parents.

Besides that, I am loving the dynamic between Hagrid and Severus-and unlikely friendship, but one that works. And his obsession with Narcissa and getting her together with Lucius is so pure and well-intentioned, I can only hope that Narcissa treats him right.
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 11 . 9/28/2018
I become more and more fascinated by this story as I read on. I love how you continued Severus's love of astronomy and spaceflight, and am thrilled you mentioned about Kohoutek-my family is from Czechoslovakia and I become unreasonably pleased whenever anyone acknowledges anything involving Czech/Slovak contributions to history, art, and science.

Each retaliation you wrote during the Sly/Gryff "war" was stunningly creative and often hilarious, and I think it's in this chapter that we see the first real glimpse of the softly dangerous, calculating man Severus will become (up until now, little "Russ" has been more akin to a particularly grumpy kitten, or a sad but excited puppy).
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 4 . 9/24/2018
Poor Russ's disappointment about missing the Apollo 11 landing was palpable! I used to live in Florida and watch the Shuttle launches from my house's roof, and I only got to go to NASA to see one live once, and that was the very last Space Shuttle launch, in 2011. We were almost late and I would've been crushed to miss it, but I did get there after all. Lily communicating the status of the Apollo missions to Russ via flashlight signal is the cutest damn thing I've ever read.
TheGreatSnapescape chapter 3 . 9/24/2018
I just started reading this story, as it's been highly recommended as a staple for anyone who is a fan of Snape, and so far I'm loving it. It's so cute how he goes by Russ as a kid, and I am in love with little Russ who is fascinated by space travel and wants to learn Astronomy. I just got a degree in Astronomy this year myself and am a huge space program nerd, and while I always thought of Severus Snape as more of a chemistry nerd (which is actually the degree I'm going for now), I want to protect the small space-loving boy.
Guest chapter 23 . 9/22/2018
Terrible. Simply TERRIBLE. Pathetic writing
Hb0814 chapter 64 . 9/7/2018
This was wonderful. Beyond words. I couldn’t stop reading.
478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 .. Last Next »