Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
Guest chapter 64 . 11/17/2017
Awesome...
Bernstien chapter 4 . 11/13/2017
I loved this whole story, but those final lines are hauntingly beautiful.
JaneSpeedwell chapter 64 . 11/9/2017
What a brilliant piece of work you have created - I can't imagine how much effort went into the writing of this story.

Like many other reviewers, the final scene had me in tears, which to me shows how invested we become in Snape's life; and the last few lines are really quite representative of how beautiful your writing is throughout.

I was fascinated by Snape's childhood and enjoyed all the historical references you were getting in there - it's as if you'd grown up in the 60s/70s yourself. As a teacher myself, I thought your portrayal of the teaching staff at Hogwarts was really spot-on; I completely recognised the camaraderie and the humour, particularly that present at a boarding school.

At first I thought it was incongruous that the Death Eater HQ was in Croydon of all places; surely they would choose somewhere more menacing? The office politics is also not what you'd expect of hardened Death Eaters. But then I realised that actually, the choice to make it so was quite masterful. Sure, Voldemort uses dramatic Gothic locations like churchyards for the big rituals and set-pieces; but the Croydon location and the office politics really show just how banal the evil ultimately was. After all, Malfoy and the rest were really just power-hungry people almost totally lacking in empathy, not evil incarnate.

Another thing I enjoyed was seeing Harry from Snape's perspective. Although his overall perception of Harry was (in my view) quite wrong, you really did show up that a lot of things Harry did were, at best, stupid.

Your story remains, for me, the definitive Snape head canon, though there were a couple of things I disagreed with on a personal level. I felt that Snape was somewhat whitewashed, in that I can't believe he wouldn't have done more bad things as an active Death Eater. I get that showing such things might have made us lose sympathy for him, though. Also, as beautifully drawn as Snape's friendship with Lily was, I don't think he was so platonic, and also think he would have reacted much more negatively to her finally going out with James.

But overall, this was a wonderful story which I'm sure I will read over and over again. Thank you for many hours of enjoyment.
Guest chapter 64 . 10/29/2017
There are tears in my eyes. This is the best writing I have ever read. Thank you.
Guest chapter 64 . 10/20/2017
This was an absolutely beautiful story! You've put quiet a lot of work into it, and I can't even begin to say how amazingly you have portrayed the characteristics of Severs Snape! I also liked how you put some research into his life since he was born and it was very well thought out. Hats off to you! Great job, wonderfully done! :)
jedako chapter 64 . 10/19/2017
This was amazingly well written. I can't imagine how much work you put into this. Thank you for providing a realistic and engaging story.
Guest chapter 64 . 9/26/2017
What a great story. Excellent writing, sensible plot.
My only few complaints are the writing of McGonnagal's accent - it was awkward and difficult to read, not to mention not compliant with JKR's writing. There were a few unnecessary "jokes" of things that Snape thought about in reference to muggle life that took me out of the story and into something that author probably thought was funny but didn't really work. But these are quibbles.
Minor gripes aside, this joins the illustrious and rare ranks of Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness and Questions & Answers as being considered canon in my mind. Thanks for a great ride.
Guest chapter 64 . 9/20/2017
Really in depth and fascinating
Guest chapter 64 . 9/1/2017
Jesus. This is the epitaph Severus deserves. What a beautifully-crafted story.
MyWitch chapter 64 . 8/28/2017
Snape was so lovingly and thoroughly drawn, I absolutely loved it. Seeing the whole series from his point of view was great, but even better was seeing his early home life, his relationship with his parents and grandparents, his interest in the space program, the way Eileen taught him to be a wizard and his day to day duties with the Death Eaters. Thank you for sharing your work. :)
The Lonely Geek chapter 64 . 8/22/2017
That was so beautiful.
Phantom Night Owl chapter 64 . 8/16/2017
God, I wanted to love this. A book about Severus Snape's life and M rated too, plus it's so well written with just the right amount of descriptive imagery. So, not only a story about my favorite H.P. character, but a meaty one. My cuppa.

Eh, not so much.

Why M? The only thing objectionable in this huge work, is one word. Prick. That's it. Snape's years growing up in a gritty mill town, not to mention his schooling at Hogwarts, should have been more revealing of the pathos of life on the wrong side of the tracks. More revealing too, when you shove a bunch of boys and girls together in a castle like Hoggy Hogwarts. Teenage boys being...well, teenaged boys, I expected quite a bit more about teenage hormones. It was mentioned several times, but not shown. It read more like a K rated fic, or at the most, T. Nothing wrong with that, but your M rating is misleading.

Snape's friendship with Lily was vastly underplayed. It WAS there, but barely. He seemed fine with Lily going off with James when they graduated... no jealousy, even the kind of jealousy a lonely boy would naturally feel for his only friend. So it felt unlikely, at least to me, that he would give up the rest of his life to atone for her death. It didn't make a lot of sense, even for someone as focused as Snape. The Halloween scene where he nearly jumped off the Astronomy tower, was a bit over the top, even for a guilt ridden Severus, for he seemed to have put Lily more or less behind him.

His death. You had him crucio'ed BEFORE the snake killed him. Really? Isn't that piling pain and indignity upon someone already cruelly used? I was hoping for something a little more than green eyes smiling at him. How bout a choir of angel's singing him home? Lily waiting on the other side to admit she missed her BFF?

Dumbledore burning in the crackling flames of Hell?

There were a few references to a sleep draught which mimicked death. I thought that was going to be worked in at the end, and still be canon compliant. Red herring. Or do I mean pickled, lol?

McGonagall. Couldn't you have included one teeny scene where she deeply regrets treating Snape like shit? Just one? Maybe tearing hanks of her hair out in grief that the poor laddie died knowing he didn't have a single friend?

I know what you're thinking. I should write my own friggin story instead of picking yours apart. My only excuse is that I initially enjoyed your take on the life and times of Severus Snape. His childhood was interesting with the added details of his family and his problems trying to fit in. I just wish he could have known some vindication at the end of his torturous journey.

And now I shall go find a story where he gets that vindication, the girl, and a happily ever after. Thankfully, it's possible in fiction.
Ravenclock chapter 1 . 7/26/2017
I never understood why Wensley wanted a wizard in his family so badly.
Bevan chapter 1 . 6/18/2017
I just finished chapter 64. This is an astonishing work, quite an achievement, and fills in so many gaps so well. Of all fanfic portrayals of Dumbledore I have seen, this is the one that best captures how I read him in JKR's work. Could almost have come from her hand. And the Snape who kept struggling through all 64 chapters to survive, I kept hoping he would in fact make it out of this story alive. My hopes are now crushed however. Thank all the gods that there at least was no lame epilogue to this fanfic, as there was to the series on which it was based
MonkeyAxman1302 chapter 2 . 5/22/2017
Really enjoying your story. Like your written version of the that Northern accent. Feels very authentic. Loved the details of the farthing going out of circulation though. Not sure why, just added something real to the story for me.
478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »