Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
Literary Snob chapter 64 . 1/7/2015
The best Harry Potter story ever. That includes JKR's work. Amazing.
ReadingR3ad3r chapter 64 . 1/1/2015
This is definitely the best Severus fanfiction I've ever read. I'm willing to just accept this as canon! I love the history you created for him - the family (Nana, Gra, etc), the childhood, his interest in astronomy, everything. Severus has always been my favorite but the books never expanded much beyond him being bullied and being "in love" with Lily (although I'd like to think his feelings were platonic). The first half of your work was an interesting read because we got to witness how Severus gradually mastered skills we saw in the books (i.e. dark arts, potions) and also how his views were shaped. The second half was also good because it was refreshing see things from his perspective as opposed to that of the brat Potter. Anyway, I enjoyed every single word of your story. Thank you so much for posting this.
tallfry chapter 64 . 12/17/2014
I don't write reviews ever, but I am making an exception for this story. It is hands down the best Harry Potter fan fiction out there. Seriously, read this. It is not a stretch to call this the unofficial 8th novel. Thank you, author, for writing a Harry Potter story that is on par, if not exceeds, JK Rowling's original works.
whynotanyway chapter 1 . 12/13/2014
One of the best stories on here. An actual story too- not some fluffy entertainment. This reads much more like a book. Funny thing is I know this isn't the best review but there is a reason. I've been up the past three nights reading it so I'm a bit incoherent.
Guest chapter 64 . 12/12/2014
Damn you.

That ending punched me in the gut so hard. I knew it was coming. It's in the summary. Doesn't make it any easier. Damn you.
Anon chapter 64 . 12/10/2014
Snape's story is tragic. Many argue against Snape, and even when the final revelations about him came to light, people still have reservations about him. I found your fanfic of his POV beautiful and although fan made, a better understanding of why he was the way he was.

His story is one of the saddest I've read about in my personal experience, and I really, really wish J.K Rowling gave him a better ending. But it does remind me that life isn't fair and his ending is much more realistic. Alas, it doesn't stop me from feeling very sad for this fictional character.

Anyway I'm rambling. Thanks for writing this, 10/10. Beautiful story, one J.K should read as well. I am glad my time wasting on Reddit led me here. :)
Guest chapter 64 . 12/9/2014
This was the greatest fanfiction I have ever had the pleasure of reading, and I have read many. Who would have thought that a character considered by the original author to be not of the greatest importance could be fleshed out as you have done with this. I can only consider it a tragedy that this story has so few reviews and favorites, despite it's recommendations on reddit and elsewhere. Congratulations, and thank you for one of the best works of writing I have ever read.
Satchit chapter 64 . 11/14/2014
This is the greatest Harry Potter fanfiction ever written, and I warmly shake your hand for giving me the pleasure of reading it.
Anon chapter 64 . 11/9/2014
What a wonderful telling of this story - a fleshing out of all anyone could ever has suspected about Snape, extended in ways that were gorgeously in line with the existing portrayl of him. One of the best fanfics I've ever read. Thanks.
licketyli chapter 1 . 11/4/2014
Oh my gosh, this is incredible. Thank you for writing all this, a real treat.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/4/2014
This story is hands down the best original piece of fiction I have read in a long time. It has completely changed my mind about Severus Snape. His childhood struggles, his niave exploitation and his fated adulthood has earned him a special spot in ny heart.
Snape and all the other characters in this story are extremely well developed. More than a few tears were shed for many of them.
I really appreciate the research that must have been done to complete the incredible detail of the class system and atmosphere in England in the 60s. The history of our world mixed with the magical world was ingeneous. I also loved seeing Hogwarts from the teachers perspective. So much has been added to my world of Harry Potter and I thank you for that.
JibbityJibJob chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
Your September 18 Guest reviewer doesn't seem to understand what a Severitus fic is.
Guest chapter 64 . 9/18/2014
Well, that sucked. I mean, you warned us, we saw it coming from god damn chapter ONE, but it still doesn't change the fact that it sucked.

The problem isn't that this is a Severitus fic. The problem is it's basically a retelling of canon. Even worse, the author clearly has talent - you don't stumble across writing of this quality in most fics. This is a great story. It's fucking incredible. Which makes the fact that it's a retread of canon even more unpalatable.

One thing though; it's supposed to be canon-compatible, and it is, for the most part. There's plenty of minor tweaks though. The thing I don't get is the whole "you need to murder to get the Dark Mark" thing. I read all 64 chapters, snatching free time here and there in one week, so I got most of the details still fresh in mind. What I recall clearly here is that Sev didn't kill anyone. There are also clerks, like the Admissions and Personnel guy. Do you think someone that low level had a Dark Mark in canon? In this story it was simply cast upon Sev, and I'm guessing the lowly support staff also got their Marks that way.

This makes the Ministry's attitude towards all DEs kinda baffling: sure, deal with the Field Operatives harshly, they're clearly evil. But the rest? Clerks, errand boys, and in Sev's case, a potioneer. Of course it's bad he joined them; but is it Azkaban level bad? Remember, many DEs actually managed to stay out of jail despite not having Dumbledore for protection like Sev did.

In canon, sure, it was said (implied?) that DEs had to commit murder to obtain their Mark, and it sounded like there were far fewer of them than in this story - certainly not enough that they needed a whole bunch of support staff. In canon it sounded like ALL of them had, at some point, participated in raids and such. It's like a group of, say, 50 people, versus a group of 500 people. Canon sounds like the former, this story sounds like the latter. And the Sev in this story sounds like he was a pretty small fry early on. That's why I had issues with things like Moody coming down hard on him - it didn't make sense, why would Moody be angry at some dumbass kid who fell in with the wrong lot, but only worked as support staff, and was not in battle? Moody's not an idiot. Sev should've been below his notice; I'd expect him to treat Sev with derision. Not gunning for him, as if Sev was one of the Field Ops guys. At least he did seem to mellow out later, especially once the old war restarted. So, point in his favour there. But things definitely were strange earlier.

Getting long, gonna stop here.
KillThe5pare chapter 64 . 9/17/2014
This was incredible, it stayed true to canon but you managed to make snape a decent human being. You made me laugh and cry more than a few times and this is now one of my favourite stories. Well done!
Guest chapter 49 . 9/15/2014
Wrestling, LMAO WTF Snape?! Also, Umbitch is really stupid for falling for that.

JKR's views on pureblood ignorance are way out there. You don't need to be a muggle to know about fashion, and the consistent wardrobe disasters that purebloods affect when attempting to go muggle are no longer hilarious. Let alone the fact that muggleborns/halfbloods are a thing, and they surely outnumber purebloods. I always found this aspect of canon to be hard to swallow.
478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 .. Last Next »