Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
Guest chapter 46 . 9/15/2014
SERVERUS! ;_;
Guest chapter 43 . 9/15/2014
Well, that sucked. Couldn't Dumbledore even be arsed to spent one fucking evening with Serverus to address his concerns? What the fuck, man.

Seriously, it's not hard to see why there are so many evil!Dumbledore stories around. You write him very well though, I must say, because he doesn't seem overtly evil here, although he's certainly shady as hell and I wouldn't trust him with running a school, let alone the freaking Wizengamot. Or maybe he SHOULD stick to adults, it's harder to plot when your pawns aren't unquestioning children.
Guest chapter 36 . 9/14/2014
Ok wait - you say this is supposed to be canon-compatible; I noticed in an earlier chapter when Snape was calling on Potter during his first Potions class, that the kid "sneered". Alright, that may have been Snape's point of view, it could be just a nervous smile. But then you said Granger told some story about looking for the troll - I'm pretty sure she didn't say anything in canon, didn't Weasley own up to making her cry and run off? Also still unsure whether Quirrel died right after Potter pressed his hands to his face, or did he manage to hang on and say a few last words to Snape like he wrote.

Granted, these aren't major quibbles, and my knowledge of canon is admittedly sketchy.
rewindthissong chapter 64 . 9/13/2014
Absolutely incredible.
Guest chapter 32 . 9/13/2014
...and so with the end of this chapter, we catch up to where canon starts?

I find it a tad amusing Charlie Weasley was so easily (?) distracted, though. I mean, hey, I sucked at sports and was basically a pariah during school, but I did have a refuge or two, and by god I hung on to them come hell or high water. I suppose Charlie didn't really REALLY want to play Quidditch as much as he loved dragons, but it's a bit mystifying to me that a kid of that age, in a boarding school, who has the adulation of his peers at something, would give it up for something else. Granted, in canon he basically moved out of the country to pursue his love of dragons, so I suppose I can imagine it really was his one overriding passion. Because if it wasn't I can't see how any normal kid would willingly leave what Quidditch was giving him.
Guest chapter 20 . 9/12/2014
"In… in return?" The impact of Dumbledore's callousness, his lack of concern for what became of Lily hit Severus like a physical blow. He couldn't speak for the shock of it. Pay? I have to pay for him to protect his own people? for him to protect Lily? The enormity of his miscalculation swept over Severus – a tidal wave of renewed fear. He'd thrown everything away for this chance to save Lily, and now there was nothing left for him to cling to but the chance to save Lily. He groveled before Dumbledore. "Anything," he managed to whisper. "I'll give you anything."

DUMBLEDORE YOU BASTARD
Guest chapter 18 . 9/12/2014
The last couple of chapters were... interesting. Yeah, I know, I just finished the Hogwarts arc, so to speak. But I really think you handled it well.

My impression from canon - what I gleaned of it from reading fics over the years, admittedly - was that basically after the incident where Sev called Lily a mudblood they pretty much never spoke to each other again. It's... bittersweet... and dare I say it, more realistic this way. You handled James' confession to Sev pretty well, and yeah, you nailed down Sev's reaction too. Even this chapter's Sirius was bang on target. I mean, I have a soft spot for Sirius, but I can totally see him doing stupid shit like this. He's a villain in this piece, no doubt about it.

Makes me sad - again - that you're not really going AU with this story. I mean, we all know what happens in the end. Sev - this one - doesn't deserve that. Or maybe he does, I haven't read the later chapters, and I suppose he does do some, well... vile... things. But pretty sure he regretted it rather early on, right? He was never one to be on the front lines, and as far as I recall most of the time he was just doing potions for the Death Eaters, things like that.

Was really heartbreaking to see him put away his muggle things. Science, toys. Well, can't really blame him for that, considering how his Nana got killed. Frankly, anyone judging him at this point is a fucking idiot. I know full well how it is to be the pariah, with no friends, and the prospect of leaving school with very few choices is a really bleak one indeed. How can you blame him for turning to Bella & co., especially since - at this point - nobody, NOBODY, "knows" that they're as bad as they are. Hell, Sev thinks they're just a (probably overzealous) bunch of conservatives, so to speak. Shit, if a group like that extended me a hand when I was about to leave school, which I didn't really know what they were about, but had the promise of a possible career (and the sense of belonging, you know, colleagues), I'd have accepted in a heartbeat too. Nice to see that he isn't actually out of sorts with the Marauders mostly, and yeah, I can see where you're going with Pettigrew here, but I didn't think to think that it was Sev, ironically, who'd be the one to provide him an in with the DE (albeit unknowingly at this point - he's just cultivating him, as anyone with a brain would be doing, considering who Wormtail associates with).

Can't wait to read more.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/11/2014
Severus never saw his parents again.

Wait, what?

I'm not really familiar with canon, but I'll take the wiki's word (I think that's where I read about it) that the stories never really said what happened to them.
Guest chapter 3 . 9/10/2014
This is so damn sad, knowing how Snape's life turned out. I don't know if I can continue reading, seeing as how it's basically a retelling of canon Snape's life, rather than a what-if scenario where we can hope things turned out better.
Guest chapter 64 . 8/31/2014
This is absolutely amazing. I just finished reading the final chapter and I'm completely in love with the whole thing, I love how everything fits in with what we know from the books and I'm now considering this as canon :) Snape and Lily's relationship and the marauder's treatment of Snape really got to me and I had tears streaming down my face on a number of occasions... But now I really hate James and Sirius :P I'm never going to be able to read the books in the same way again...
Das Legio chapter 64 . 8/26/2014
Ultimately, this is a damned good story and as soon as I am unbanned for DLP, I am recommending it.

Incredible Fanfiction.
Guest chapter 33 . 8/24/2014
You completely fucked up with Quirrel apparently teaching DADA and it isn't Harry's 1st year. He taught Muggle Studies then went on a sabattical, at which point Charity Burbage was brought in.
Tiggereh chapter 64 . 8/9/2014
Brilliant. Pure brilliance. Well done.
myusername123 chapter 3 . 8/9/2014
I think I'm suffering from severe depression after reading this story. I'm so fucking annoyed that I don't think I'll ever be able to read the original series again. It feels like everyone is against Snape, and it pisses me off. I hope you have time to write other stories to help with my depression. It could be anything, doesn't need to be happy stuff. I could get over my depression with another lovely depressing story. What I want to say is that I'm re-reading your writing and it's so great. I'll always be keeping my eyes open for your other stories. Love it. I hope there was a chapter in which Harry realises what a great man Severus was. I think he should have another kid and name him Severus, first name. I didn't really like Albus anyway, but after reading this, I despise him. abhor is a good word too.
Aurenrose chapter 1 . 8/7/2014
No words can do this justice; this story is amazing. You characterized Snape perfectly. Many people make him out to be a cold and emotionless jerk or a complete woobie, but you managed to flesh out his personality into being a brave, noble, and overall decent person while still retaining a temper and and having the need to make snide remarks constantly.

I also love his subtle shift in personality over the years as a professor. In the beginning, he seemed to be this innocent, naive young boy that got caught up in the wrong side of the war, and slowly grew more confident over time into the proud and dignified man we see in Philosopher's Stone.

I'll admit, I haven't read all of his school days, mostly because I found this after searching your profile in the hopes I might be able to find his first two years as a professor after reading the middle years, and I also stopped in Deathly Hallows because I thought it might be too painful for me.

And I honestly, truly wanted to cry at the ending. It felt incomplete; I wanted a better resolution for Severus after all he had been through but at the same time I felt like there was no better way to describe it. Even now I'm tearing up just thinking about it.
478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 .. Last Next »