Reviews for A Difference in the Family: The Snape Chronicles
PollyWantCookie chapter 64 . 11/26/2019
I have been looking for a story like this for more than two weeks, and this is exactly what I was hoping for and more. A perfect tragedy. Thank you so much.
Guest chapter 64 . 11/24/2019
I love nearly everything about this, except Voldemort would speak with "I" not "we", he "operates alone" according to Dumbledore in the latter books, maybe he would say we only when talking about "Our cause". And I also really want a last chapter of what happens after Severus dies, from the point of death to the afterlife (which exists in the HPU, and i think Severus's soul is as whole as it can be).
Ada chapter 29 . 11/14/2019
I've read half of your story and it is a wonderful work ! Quite pleasing to read !
When Severus works for Voldemort, I was very surprised he contributed in killing people with his new spells. He knew what he was doing. Is it possible he lied to himself ? And he knew he was fighting Albus too. Recruiting him by killing Nana was a very clever move.
I really enjoyed his first months as a teacher. The story is becoming more and more interesting !
Your Albus is very much in character ! That must be very difficult to write for him.
I was very pleased that the other teachers accepted Severus. That poor guy needs some friends.
The muggle side of Severus is very well done, too. It is only logical that he has muggle habits and muggle items. Even if it seems strange to me that he has such love for space. I've always wondered why the muggle born wizzards in the books let the muggle technology down. Muggle born wizzards in Hogwarts should have mobile phones and so on.
I had a good laugh with "Moriarty".
When I read the books, it was very clear for me that Severus was in love with Lily ("Always" and so on). So I found it disturbing that he denied this love in your story. And I thought he would mourn much longer.
I love the relationship you created between Hagrid and Severus very much. Very interesting.
The scene when Severus falls asleep in the snow by the lake was very beautiful.
I laughed with Valeria harassing poor Severus. That was really a horrible character. So well written. She even kissed him without consent ! That's a pity she was so mean. I would have loved to see him loved by someone. I guess I'll make do with the non canon stories.
Nocturnaline chapter 1 . 9/15/2019
I continue reading and here are a few comments. I read till the end of school. And sorry for my horrible english...
Very interesting, the investigation of Albus and Hagrid about Severus. Even if it does not have any result besides giving him more food. I love how you handle Albus and Hagrid. They are very in character. But I would have thought Albus smarter. It seems strange to me that Severus could have been bullied so long and so dangerously (especially by Sirius) without anyone noticing.
I had a good laugh when Sev thinks "Can you think of anything worse than ending up a teacher at Hogwarts for the rest of your life".
Your Sirius is exactly the way I imagined him : a real asshole. He really belongs in Azkaban !
Tobias really is a horrible man and your description is so horribly realistic. It gives me chills.
The death of Severus parents was a very sad moment. I always assumed they were both dead or the mother dead and the father gone. Your story is entirely believable.
Oh my god, Sev hit Lily ! That's so sad. Poor Sev, I want to give him a hug !
It is fascinating how you build the character brick by brick, explaining how he became the way we know him and why. What a complex and precise work ! I'm very impressed. For example, I love the moment he begins tutoring the rich kids and likes to criticize their work, exactly the way he will do as a real teacher later.
I always found it difficult to admit in the canon, that Severus could have insulted Lily with "filthy mudblood". But the way you explain it, with previous arguments and tension between them makes it easier to understand.
I really don't understand how Lily can become closer with Potter, knowing he's a f***ing bully. I had the same problem with the book. It really makes me hate Lily.
There are only two things in your fic that bother me. First, from the book I undestand Lily never forgave Sev about "filthy mudbllod". But maybe, I undestood wrong. Or maybe, you changed that. Second and the most important, what about his love for her ? The canon was pretty clear about that, with "always" and the patronus. For a canon-compatible fic, it seems a huuuuge difference for me.
But besides that you have done such an amazing work ! How much time dit it take, I wonder. And everything is so detailed and precise and believable. Increible, really.
Nocturnaline chapter 6 . 8/30/2019
I've come to read this fic after reading on quora it was one of the best fic of the world about Severus. He's my favourite character in the books and movies.
So far, I've read to the sorting hat.
This fic is incredibly long ! What a huge amount of work it must be to write this ! How brave !
It is also incredibly realistic. The suburbs and the poverty of workers are perfectly described. It's impressive. So is Hogwarts with great details. You do an amazing job !
You are very true to the book canon and I'm grateful for that.
You have interesting hypothesis like Severus did not cry as a baby because her mom could read his mind.
On the other hand, I find calling Severus Russ pretty annoying. Same goes for his obsession about space. I find it surprising. I don't remember such a passion being mentionned in the books.
So far, I find the relationship between Severus and Lily a little unsatisfying. From the books, I think they were best friends and very close. Your fic gives me the feeling Severus used Lily all the time for his own interest, like watching TV.
And they often argue. I hoped for nice scenes of harmony and shared friendship.
And from the books, I had the impression Severus fell in love with Lily very early. That does not appear in your fic.
You did a great job and your fic is very enjoyable. I'll continue reading.
Yung Warrior chapter 63 . 7/1/2019
Just reread this again...very well-written. The story feels human and real, with a strong emotional core, and I cannot praise it enough for that. I do think that some of the whitewashing of Snape comes into sharper relief on a reread, though. This is not a portrayal of him warts and all, as I might wish, but of someone who is consistently victimized and toyed with by higher powers, himself having no agency. There is something to this interpretation, but it rings hollow in some of the canon scenes, specifically Snape's interaction with the students. To spin some of that in a way that makes Snape look reasonable is just too tall an order. There simply was no reason to say some of what he said to Harry, Hermione, and the others beyond spite and plain meanness. The man was no angel, though he did fight on their side in the end. Of course, we all think ourselves reasonable from our own perspective, and perhaps that bias was what you were trying to illustrate here. If so, I applaud it.

That being said, I loved your original content such as the storyline with Delphina Vaughn. It really went a long way towards creating a rounded, fleshed-out life for this character with peaks, valleys, and everything in between. It makes you wonder what some of the other characters like Dumbledore did before the events of the story. Really amazing stuff. Anyways, thanks again for writing this, still one of my favorite fanfiction stories ever.
Bonnie Gaynor chapter 64 . 6/14/2019
Hello...
Maybe this review won't make much senseI've just finished reading and I'm still crying my eyes out... There were manycountlessparts in this story where my heart was aching; I had to stop reading and have a break for a couple of days several times; but it was this very last part, after Severus had died, that really broke me...
This story is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read in fan fiction, masterfully crafted, an inspiration for my own writing, I'm sure. Thank you for the work you put into it! It was perfect, enjoyable, emotional reading!

Best wishes
Bonnie
Guest chapter 18 . 5/27/2019
Working on my third or fourth reading...amazing amazing amazing. I am continually blown away. Honestly better than most published popular fiction.
PKAerynSun1 chapter 64 . 3/28/2019
I finally finished reading this today- I cried when I watched DH,Pt2 in the theater; sobbed my heart out. I'm crying now, writing this. This, this is the story that Severus deserved(though I will always live in an AU world, where he lived ;) ) Thank you for writing this beautiful, heartbreaking story.
Guest chapter 64 . 3/10/2019
Thoroughly enjoyed; however more people would enjoy if rated T rather than M. There was nothing to warrant an M rating, no sex, no coarse language...
Mayavanaviharini harini chapter 64 . 2/7/2019
I honestly have no words for this masterpiece... whatever I write will be inadequate to convey the whirlwind of emotions I went through while reading this. I cried, I laughed, I smiled and I cried some more. This is easily the best fanfic I ever read. Brilliant characterisation... brilliant worldbuillding! Each and every character, dialogue and scene is perfect... and the Muggle side of Severus' life- something we don't get to read much about- is a sheer delight! I was almost hesitant to read the end as I am the hopeless-forever in denial mode-Severus fan... but like all good things, this life, this helluva intriguing, fascinating, heartbreaking life comes to an end- in ruthless canon at least... *sigh*
Thank you for this rollercoaster ride through the HP 'verse...this fic deserves to be right beside the JKR books! And I do hope to check out your other works asap... here's looking forward to many more masterpieces from your quill!
Thanks and loads of love! Apologies for the long rant, but I am simply overwhelmed!
FanaticallyInLove chapter 64 . 1/24/2019
I absolutely cried my eyes out, this is absolutely canon, the characters were perfect, the storyline felt so real it gutted me. I don't know if I even cried this much reading the 7th book, Severus Snape is my favorite character and you gave him the story he deserved. Thank you.
Guest chapter 64 . 12/28/2018
This is perhaps the greatest Harry Potter fanfic I have ever read. In my mind I count this as canon and if I could I would have a copy of it placed with my Harry Potter books. It offers a distinct and to the letter portrayal of Severus in a way no other fanfic has done with any other character as far as I know. Thank you Rannaro for writing this masterpiece of a fanfic which was undoubtedly very difficult to write, considering how everything fits with the canon without any contradictions. Excellent.
BlutengelHates chapter 8 . 12/13/2018
This first year was so intensive to Russ. All of those people from Slytherin play-tricking, manipulating and Russ becoming one good Slytherin at the same time...
How brilliant is your writing.
Guest chapter 64 . 12/11/2018
Amazing! I’m so glad I found this fic.
478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 .. Last Next »