Reviews for Prometheus's Gift
Wai-Jing Waraugh chapter 31 . 3/28
This was a very satisfying ending. I think Emmy's punishment was fitting, and I was impressed that she was mature enough to accept that she deserved it. That shows how far she's come and how much she's grown.

I'd really like an epilogue to see how Emmy is once she turns 21, whether she learned to give herself permission to start enjoying things and having friends again. I'm glad she made up with Teddy, and in my mind at least, Darren would make an ideal friend, or more-than-friend, for her (since he's the first person Emmy invites along to her outing with Teddy and Victoire). They are both young and share a strong common interest, both having been outsiders and felt understood by the magicking community. They seem like a good match.

I hope Hubert and the other Aurors are punished. Even if it was a mistake, Avada Kedava is an illegal curse; the fact that it was the first thing to come to Hubert's mind is rather disconcerting.

I'd also like to see Harry have an involvement in Emmy's future, mentoring her and becoming someone she can confide in. They've both been through a lot, having had similar experiences, similarly felt responsible for deaths around them, lost friends and family. It's poetic that Emmy chose to give up her family, then reclaimed them through her 'punishment'; it parallels how Harry lost and found his family as well.
It would also be nice to see McGonagall play a significant role as a influence; in my view, anything HP always needs more McGonagall! From what I've read of canon, McGonagall's early life suffered a lot from the need to keep magic a secret, so I bet she'd be very supportive of the new policy Emmy and Harry are trying to introduce.

Anyway, I enjoyed this story a lot. Sorry my reviews have all been so long, and thank you for recently following my Song of the Lioness story : D
Wai-Jing Waraugh chapter 30 . 3/28
I like that Emmy is related to the Bones family. Harry had a lot of respect for Madame Bones, ever since his hearing in Order of the Phoenix, and her death affected him. It's a nice throwback.

It occurs to me that Emmy's tech-magic is a bit like Daine's wild magic (I know you've written some fics for Tamora Pierce's Tortall books). Since so much emphasis is placed on magic relating to a witch/wizard's personality (defining which house they'll be in, which subjects they excel at) it's nice to see that some specializations fall outside the norm. I imagine that if Emmy hadn't loved her watch and shared her grandfather's interests, her magic wouldn't have developed like that. This also explains a major point in the story that I wondered about, since Hermione made it clear in Goblet of Fire that bugging devices don't work in Hogwarts; I imagine Gringotts would have similar, if not even stronger, anti-tech precautions.

One more thing - does this mean that if Ron had been an active Auror, he could've recognized Emmy straight off the bat? Surely he - or even Hermione, depending on how time frames add up - would have met her on one of her visits to the Burrow with her grandad? I was a bit surprised that Ron and Hermione weren't more active in the story; it is plausible that Ron might have come out of 'retirement' as a former Auror, considering the size of the threat, and the fact that his kids would've been affected. And it's a wonder Hermione didn't have a greater role in minimizing exposure to Muggles, given her job. For example, I imagined she could have used a Protean Charm to remove references to magic from Prometheus's flyers.

That last isn't a criticism at all; it's just a thought that was floating around in my mind as I was reading. I do like that even though the trio are still strongly united, they have their own separate lives (well, Ron and Hermione have a separate life together, and Harry doesn't always need his same, oldest friends to bolster him all the time).
Wai-Jing Waraugh chapter 29 . 3/28
I've read the whole thing through, and I think this is my favourite chapter - mostly because of your characterization of Harry.

Harry and Emmy have been distant adversaries throughout the story, so their first meeting was always going to be momentous. I love how Emmy initially doesn't think much of him, he was just 'ordinary', until he talks to her. That's Harry's gift; he is essentially an ordinary boy, who was shaped by extraordinary - often terrible - events, and became extraordinary as a result. His effect on Slughorn when they first met was similar. If he was boastful, authoritative, or in any way overly impressive, he wouldn't be who he is. His gift is that he doesn't put himself above people, he always places them as equals or puts them before himself, without ever losing his own power. That *is* his power. He is able to empathize; he's been through hell, so he has a strong understanding of how others are affected by the things they go through, and does what he can to help them cope - probably because he himself seldom had that help (not directly, anyway).

I also really like that he can see himself and his friends in Emmy. His experience with dark magic and renegade forces could have made him a hard-nose, paranoid fanatic of an Auror, far worse even than Mad-Eye Moody. I like how he is able to see that Emmy had noble motives, even if her methods were questionable. I was also impressed that he knew so much more about her and her operations than was previously apparent.

Sorry, this is long, but going back several chapters, I doubt that Emmy and her friends could've tunneled into Gringotts, or snuck into Hogwarts, even if they used non-magical means. I'm sure wizards would have tried making house-elves tunnel into vaults using only manual labour; and if not using magic was all it took to easily get into Hogwarts, I'm sure Voldemort would have made an Imperiosed army of Muggles long ago. Emmy's knowledge of the tunnel under Honeydukes was also very convenient. I know it suited the plot, but all these things seemed less plausible than other aspects of the story.

Anyway, that aside, I enjoyed this story a lot. The reveal of Teddy was brilliant - it must have been hard for him, cosying up to Emmy/Kelly, even for a noble cause, just after getting engaged (which is probaly why he popped the question to Victoire then, I suppose). I thought there must have been a double agent, but I thought it would be Darren - I never suspected Teddy. I really did fear for Lily; the suspense and the resolution of multiple plot-threads were very well-handled.
Son of Whitebeard chapter 31 . 8/23/2013
I'm interested to see how the wizarding world will adapt
james.hofstetter chapter 31 . 7/26/2013
Omg sequel, we new a sequel, this was brilliant, maybe have the statute of secrecy coming down in the sequel
Susan M. M chapter 31 . 12/28/2012
Reasonable consequences for her actions.
Susan M. M chapter 29 . 12/28/2012
"Emmy wasn't very fond of children" ... Emmy IS a child. A gifted, troubled child, but a child nonetheless. Harry realizes that, even if she doesn't.
Susan M. M chapter 24 . 12/27/2012
Loved the UFO bit!
Susan M. M chapter 22 . 12/27/2012
I am trying to decide whether Emmy is slightly insane or simply extremely immature. She just turned sixteen; she faked her death and ran away when she was eleven or twelve. At the very least, unstable. Impressive curse on Darren, though. Think what she'd be capable of if she'd been properly trained.
Susan M. M chapter 14 . 12/27/2012
I liked hiring outside consultants for the training seminars. Some minor SPAG errors, easily corrected.
Susan M. M chapter 11 . 12/27/2012
Had a good giggle at Balthazar Bagshot - Voldemort would either have swatted him like a fly or cast a Petrificus Totalis on him and used him as a footstool.
Susan M. M chapter 7 . 12/27/2012
Uh-oh, Emmy is pulling a Roj Blake on Darren. (Please pretend that this next sentence is in Bugs Bunny's voice) Of course, you realize, this means war.
Susan M. M chapter 6 . 12/27/2012
Darren is a good OC, and not at all Mary Sue-ish. (Or Wesley Crusher-ish)
Susan M. M chapter 2 . 12/27/2012
I love the drills for the bank robbery being made by Grunnings.
MarauderetteAtHeart chapter 31 . 11/11/2012
Brace yourself! For the review is long... (Sorry I am a few weeks late... all of a sudden (Brian Regan!) my schedule exploded)
This fanfic means so much more than a fanfic to me. This is what brought me to fanfic and instilled the love for it that I have today. I found Prometheus' Gift via your crocheting blog and I am so glad I did. Before that, I was dead set on hating fanfiction. I decided years ago that fanfiction was such a rip off and it was just adding unnecessarily to an author's work. I thought it was taking your own story and sticking popular characters' names in it. I thought it was completely, ridiculously different than the writing style that the original author used and the whole thing would sound tacky and not fit at all with the original books. Oh, how I was wrong! In a bout of post-Potter depression, I started reading your story and immediately saw how horribly wrong I had been. Thanks to you, I have not only enjoyed your story, but a bunch of others from other amazing fanfic writers! I love HP fanfiction now and even made an account to follow these stories and review the ones I really love. Your characters and story were great and I was on the edge of my seat waiting for you to update! You added beautifully to the series and your writing is so talented. There were so many plot twists that I didn't see coming, but after they happened, I saw the signs that you had planted previously. This story was so thought out and well done! Thank you for this and for everything. This story means so much to me.