Reviews for Between Worlds
MoonShadow396 chapter 59 . 11/16/2015
This is a fantastic story!
Artfuldemon chapter 1 . 8/9/2015
Just letting everyone whose reading this review know, there are spoilers throughout the review so if you haven’t finished the story yet, read at your own risk.

Now, I’m about to say a lot of negative things about this fic but before I do, I’d like to point out to anyone reading this review that the overall tone of Between Worlds is just awesome. The protagonist is believable, the characters are well portrayed and have fun and interesting interactions, the villains are relatable and have actual reasons for what they’re doing, and there are very few, if any plot holes, inconsistencies, or spelling/grammar mistakes.

That being said, however, there are a fair few things I’ve got a problem with. Things such as the inclusion of actual game mechanics that make absolutely no sense in real life, such as looting creatures for money and items, finding limit breaks, and materia having levels, not to mention including areas of the game that are only there to add a bit of diversity to what would otherwise be an utterly monotonous area, such as the puzzle floor of Shinra’s headquarters.

These are fun, not to mention important, things for the game because they either add variety to an incredibly boring area, or give the player a sense of progression, without which the game is hardly worth playing. But they do not make any sense whatsoever in any sort of realistic environment.

There’s also the way Minerva threatens to remove Rachas powers if she abuses them. I don’t like this because it removes free will from the equation. If you take away a person’s ability to choose then, instead of a struggle between good and evil, all your left with is “take what I give you or do without.” Not to mention that it’s a bit of a plot hole, because if Minerva would remove their powers if they tried using them for evil then there wouldn’t be any previous history of people going dark side. All there would be is cautionary tales of what would happen to a person if they tried to abuse their gifts.

My biggest grievance with this story however, is the inclusion of dialogue straight from the game. It’s just disconcerting to read such a well written story only to be blindsided by some of the awfully translated dialogue from the game. It wouldn’t be so bad if you touched them up a little, changed a word here or there and added in some proper grammar, but as it stands, the word for word dialogue just brings the story down whenever it’s included.

There are also a couple of things that, while written very well, bug me personally. Mistaking the Lifestream for Holy at the end of the story, for instance. While it doesn’t really affect anything, seeing as it’s the finale, it just feels like something that shouldn’t have been mixed up.

Also the Reeve/Rachas pairing… it’s not bad per se, it’s just that you had to change Reeve so extensively to make it work that it feels forced.

And there’s no forgetting Jenova replacing Sephiroth as the main villain. Despite his clear insanity, Sephiroth was still relatable. He made you feel something whenever you saw him or heard him speak, whether it was hatred or envy, or pity, he still brought forth emotion and was an amazing villain. Jenova is just this generic thing that needs to die.

In conclusion, despite its flaws, Between Worlds is one of, if not the best, Final Fantasy 7 fic I’ve ever read, and I hope that what I’ve mentioned doesn’t deter anyone from reading and enjoying it as much as I have.

All in all, two thumbs up and definitely worth reading.
Guest chapter 25 . 12/31/2014
oh, and he didn't go to hunt down the stragglers, he went because Mandalore said there were sith. I HATE the emperor sometimes -.-
Guest chapter 25 . 12/31/2014
could you pleeeease put Revan in here? Not just as a story character, but as an actual threat, since I don't want his story to end with the unknown regions, nor with the Civil War, and I most certainly do not want to see him die, even though he does. And still partially resurrects the emperor. I hate Bioware sometimes.
Guest chapter 23 . 12/31/2014
Really. Of all the nice expanded universe content in star wars, you chose the plant zombies. Seriously? You should have put Revan in. Actually, I would have sent Revan here. Revan vs Sephy - battle for the ages. And tell your OC to get over herself. Revan managed to use the dark side as a jedi just fine.
Guest chapter 17 . 12/31/2014
If your OC doesn't learn how to except he dark side and fast, I don't think I'll ever see a force storm... :/
Guest chapter 7 . 12/31/2014
why use a lightning materia? Force Lightning is so much better
Rockgoddess chapter 42 . 11/8/2014
Wait wasn't it hellmasker with the chainsaw and mask and not death gigas cuz now I'm a little confused. I mean I truly LOVE the story but google images said I'm right tho.
Kaname1993 chapter 30 . 9/11/2014
Fluff, fluff, such cute fluff. _ Rachas and Reeve are so adorable together.
Kaname1993 chapter 29 . 9/11/2014
You know, I'd always wondered why the outfits were always the same, but I didn't know it was an actual rule. Makes a lot more sense now since the only time I've seen Kimono appear different was in funeral settings. The food fight seemed pretty funny, I like how hectic things always end up even when it isn't meant to. I also have to admit that I laughed pretty hard at Tseng's comment about Corneo's victims. (I know that's bad but for some reason it hit a funny bone)
Kaname1993 chapter 28 . 9/11/2014
Mini Zack's running around with the ability to levitate objects… the very first thought to cross my mind was 'Oh god, no!' There would be no end to the havoc they would cause. As for the latter part of the story I rest my case on Reno. 'Soulless Ginger'. You have to be pretty darn heartless to kill a person outright like that, as evil as he was there had to he a better way of going about that…
Kaname1993 chapter 27 . 9/11/2014
Stunt pilots. Takes guts to do. I still love watching the Thunder Birds or Blue Angels air shows when they come by. Its amazing to see. I'd also like to say that I love your idea to give CID that mop later on even more than I did before now that I'm rereading. I've always thought the guy swore too much.
Kaname1993 chapter 26 . 9/11/2014
Yuck. I'd probably be creeped out if I was Rachas. I can't help but feel like Chaos is starring and watching her like a child would with a particularly interesting bug.
Kaname1993 chapter 25 . 9/11/2014
I often wonder if things would have turns out differently if Seph had found out about Lucretia. Glad to see Vincent though, he was probably the one I've seen as most helpful throughout the series.