Reviews for Never
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 7/15/2014
He can see what the end is going to be like, obviously; although I expect her trying to kill him was probably not in his vision at the time.

Poor Severus, convinced to the end that nobody ever really wanted him. A pity that is all he ever saw.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
Poor Minerva; she knows the feeling of never being really wanted, and it hurts her pride; though not enough to give up Snape entirely. I suspect she does not realize how much he shares the feeling of never being wanted.

Too bad they never actually talk about such things. But she had best make time for it soon, because we know in canon that soon it will be too late.

And yet, there's that pride...

Perhaps they can spend an evening devising Something Suitable for Umbridge; perhaps that might break the ice.

There's too much unspoken between them.
Saeshmea chapter 2 . 11/13/2013
I don't know what to say. In a good way, in the best of ways, I mean... You've left me speechless, I could swear my heart stopped beating at more than on point of this interior monologue. I guess that, after knowing how Minerva feels, it's even more touchy and sad to know that Severus feels the same, but nome of them will tell. God, this was a painful fic to read, but I'm sure I'll go over it again and again... I just love this kind of stories.
Saeshmea chapter 1 . 11/13/2013
I don't know what I will find on the second chapter, but I just needed to tell you that this first one was... well, it left me speechless. There are some moving moments, when I feel sorry for Minerva's loneliness and craving for love; and then there are moments when I melt when she describes how she feels during their encounters. I found this very sensual, even though there's really no actual sex in it... Excellently written.

Ok, going to read the second one after supper.
Scarlett N chapter 2 . 4/2/2012
Fewer words leave greater impressions: Please, continue! :)
McGonagall's Bola chapter 2 . 4/1/2012
I would have loved to read more. Why do all good things come to an end so soon?

The writing again drew me in entirely. Great work!
Quill of Minerva chapter 2 . 4/1/2012
There were three aspects of this chapter that made me smile -

1) Year of Lupin really tickled me.

2) Allowing himself the gift of having her stay (made me do a sad smile)

3) For in no other way is Minerva ever docile.(I loved that part because it's so true which is why it frustrates me that JKR seemed to make Minerva less important as the books progress)

Anyway, getting back to the rest of the story.

I really got caught up in the emotion of this story and at times, I welled up at the feelings of Severus. You really capture the moment and I feel like I'm him. The importance of the clean sheets overwhelmed me.

You made this story real and slide in with cannon. Most fics (mine included) end happy and though I want a happy ending, this works just as well.

However, is this the final chapter?

Would you consider writing their night together from both points of view? Please consider it.

Clayre xx
Swallow B chapter 2 . 3/31/2012
Indeed, very plausible, up to the slightest detail (I so empaphise with Severus's reasons for lack of punctuality).

Severus, like Minerva, has developed quite an understanding of his partner, limited by his own lack of confidence. "He's of use to her as he is to Albus and the Dark Lord." Experience would teach him to expect things to be that way. You reinforced this very effectively by making her use the phrase "Severus, please..."

We are left not knowing whether Minerva will find the courage to speak to him, and also knowing that that would be the end of their relationship, as Minerva rightly guessed, but for opposite reasons.

They are both trapped and the trap isn't only of their own making.

Very painful, but very consistent with the way they are presented in canon. No happy ending was prepared for them. Even though Minerva survives, she will stay a very wounded person - as many of the characters.
Sithtar chapter 2 . 3/31/2012
I'm so glad to hear Severus' views on their relationship. It does make it heartbreaking and sad.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 2 . 3/31/2012
A story with a strong, dark aftertaste, even after seeing both points of view. I read the first chapter some time ago (POV Minerva), and found myself nodding: yes, yes, this too could underlie what we see in canon, because Minerva keeps herself to herself, and conceals an infinity of possibilities.

It's very interesting how each of them sees their own flaws, and the other's strengths, and therefore seeks to hide their vulnerable, flawed, human side... Severus here is aware of Minerva as warrior, the one he might (will) meet in combat. His own meditations on his culpability in Lily's death are marvelous and culturally specific, with the vivid sensory memories of sitting in chapel.

Each chapter adds another layer, and changes the meaning of the previous... like a Bach fugue, played in slow motion.
aptasi chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
This is a really great and interesting story, and it brings out some of the complexities in Minerva's character. What fascinates me about it is that even though Minerva is a very strong character, it doesn't seem off or au to me that she would behave/think in these ways. I did want to knock some sense into her, but I want to knock sense into a lot of people, myself included, so if anything that made it even more real.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 3/25/2012
So sad, but so plausible, so psychologically insightful. (I must be very pessimistic: the more painful it is, the truer it rings. Well, no one would make up these things for pleasure, I suppose.)

Gryffindor Minerva, ready to fight for her students and friends, yet afraid of confronting Severus, yes, that is the way I would imagine her. Sometimes very lucid in her understanding - and love - of Severus, yet not trusting his love, because her insecurities are stronger. Blaming herself for Severus's shortcomings. I don't feel like knocking sense into her, but rather giving her the compassion that she doesn't allow herself, and that Severus doesn't know how to express.

As you know, I really like seeing those two together, and you write them so well.

And then, knowing the end of the story, I can't help fearing what the future has in reserve for them.
tetleybag chapter 1 . 3/24/2012
Wow. This is, once more, exactly what I mean when I say that you have a special way of making me believe this pairing. Of course I want to knock sense into Minerva, but yes, I can see how the self-hatred, that combined effect of feeling unwanted and feeling she doesn't deserve anything else because her dead are just as dead as his, which can't be rationalised away by telling herself or being told that she did it for a "good" cause (and I like that you don't tell us exactly how "her dead" came to be dead because for her, it doesn't matter if it was defence of others or, say, an all-too wand-happy moment of blind hatred), could do this to her. Am I happy seeing Minerva like this? No. But do I believe that her upbringing, her background and her history could lead to this? Absolutely. Also, I love that you don't portray Minerva-the-woman as the only one with conflicting emotions and confusing needs in this. Severus's occasional tendernesses speak volumes, and I especially like the protective aspect of the nightgown.

Strong and powerful stiff, this. Ruthless, yes, but never sensationalising or eroticising moments of self-punishment. And, as always, so excellently written!
McGonagall's Bola chapter 1 . 3/24/2012
This piece was a very emotional one indeed.

- On her bad days, she fears that he disdains her, that he beds her merely because she's there, because she's better than nothing, because who else at Hogwarts would let an murdering ex-Death Eater touch them? - Somehow, that just seems to fit her.

This is quite possibly my favorite MM/SS of all from you (and anyone). Snape is supposed to be a little bitter and dominant to me. Minerva's supposed to carry a little bit of innocence, ponder about the how and why. You've shown her as a true Gryffindor, yet with still that small bit of insecurity, of 'weakness'... that makes her human.

The description of their first encounter was so beautiful. You've managed to make it quite erotic, just by describing the way she's panting, feeling... I wish I could do that.

It seemed realistic enough that way, whereas more often than not I'm screaming at the screen at others' stories with annyonance over it being too very unrealistic (sex-wise).

The little bit about the American made my mind run to Keeping Mum somehow... lol A very nice twist. I believe I did see an error there, though: "she had she kept herself to herself"?

I feel for Minerva - though it seems exactly MM/SS like I imagine it. It really makes me want to show her the other side with gentleness and the person remaining in her bed post-sex. That's something only the best of authors here evoke in me.

I applaud you.
Quill of Minerva chapter 1 . 3/24/2012
I know you gave me the warning and I knew what you expect, I still wasn't ready. This will probably be my reaction to all the chapters you post as the romantic in me will always hope for a small chance of happiness come the end of an angsty story.

I really felt for Minerva in this chapter. You've managed to capture the true essence of her despair, her longings and her feelings and have brought the reader into thinking more deeply.

I am looking forward to reading Severus' POV and I look forward to banging their heads together.