Reviews for Razor's Edge: Requiem
thrawn92 chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Best. Ending. Ever.

Of all time.

A "Terminate Program" command is much more realistic than that one "Synthesis" route. Makes me think that Bioware should hire you as a writer.
RiderPale chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
*To moved for a more in-depth review*
Thank you. Thank you so much for the story and ending that should-have-been.
If the canon story of ME3 would have any resemblance with your RE:R, then MassEffect would without any doubt reign supreme above any other SciFi franchise from the last few years.
After reading your story I actually feel like playing the triology again... all the while having your stories at the forefront of my mind, making your vision my own canon.
And while this/your ending of the saga is already several magnitudes of more satisfying than the official one, I'm looking forward for your epilogue - how you envision the days after, the loose ends, maybe snippets about the fate of all those beloved people you gave live and character beyond what they had in the game.
Once again, thank you. And as Anderson said in his final moments...
"You did good."
Trexvik96 chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Wow...

It's been one heck of a journey, and my only regret is that I wasn't there at the very beginning. But I'm still happy to have been here for as long as I have.

I want to thank you for posting this incredible story which is easily one of the best that I've ever read.

Keep up the good work, I eagerly await the epilogue :)
demonicnargles chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Fantastic. I like this ending much better than what is in the game, and all the lead-up was great, too.

And I really enjoyed the dialogue between Shepard and Harbinger.

Well done.

-demonicnargles
Phygmalion chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Wow. That was incredible. Truly a requiem worth remembering. Can't wait to see the epilogue!
C0rrupted1 chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Shit... I forgot today was N7 day. I didn't even think about that with the new trailer out.

God damn it, man. I'm getting to effing emotional right now especially now that I'm remembering the N7 teaser from last year, I believe. Fuck.

Got to say, was surprised about the Ash deal. I mean, damn. It was fitting to have her be there but I didn't think that would happen. Will say, love the changes that were done for the charge. It should have been like that in game, mako section for old times sake included.

Also, applause on the whole exchange after Illusive was done with. That was great. The whole thing about Sovereign instantly got my attention and then just with Harbinger. The build up was amazing. God, this fic series has been great... and it's not over yet. When do you think you've have the epilogue uploaded cause I can't wait for it. I mean, it'll suck cause it'll be end but it's basically over and I'm curious to see how you do the epilogue and I hope it ends the way I'm thinking it'll end.
Aronim chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
I'm as close to crying as I ever am while reading fiction. Which is saying a lot. This chapter is amazing. The action is brilliant, awesome but above all, captures the desperation perfectly. The dwindling party is heartbreaking and Ashley's death is devastating and all the more hardhitting for the odd kind of symmetry, like death catching up to her.

The Geth and the Rachni get the screentime they deserve, as does the krogan. It is truly fantastic to see the three factions that the galaxy has looked down on most be the ones to pull through like that and redeem themselves for the bad they've done and show the galaxy that they are so much more. And the vindication of Shepard's faith is wonderful.

Your twist on the great big button was perfect. I played with the idea of the Reapers killing themselves if they were ever let lose, but you played it out perfectly. And the confrontations with Harbinger, from the scene where it is a titan standing above to the scene where Shepard's utter ruthlessness puts it in checkmate, are brilliant and scenes that should have been canon. We needed that confrontation and we needed to win, by way of never giving up and forging hate, love, rage and hope into the sword that slays the dragon. Not by the Reapers simply giving us options, like "good boy".

Also, the callback to Rannoch there is brilliant. As was the fact that you accurately explained why the Reapers were weaker in force compared to Sovereign. Your reasoning makes perfect sense and the fact that the explanation utterly destroys the Reapers' idea of them being perfect gods, is so so satisfying.

I didn't manage to talk down the Illusive Man, but I'm guessing that was the gist of that encounter. One thing I have to say is that I'm a little confused: It was Shepard that shot him right? Because the way you wrote it, it is a little ambiguous, though it does seem more like it was Shepard that lifted the pistol and shot, rather than him convincing or forcing TIM to shoot himself.

Very nice uses of that poem also.

And the way you handle this entire battle makes a lot of sense, compared to the game proper. And also, the fact that the Citadel hasn't truly fallen is something I really like, as is the logic and symmetry of Shepard and co. fighting their way through the Citadel toward the Council chambers.

Again, I'm feeling the exact same thing here as I did when I finished the game. Except for far more satisfaction with this ending. You are truly talented and it has been a true privilege to be with you on this long, long ride. Though I have spotted the lack of "complete", so I'm waiting in great suspense to see what you finish up with.

Which reminds me: It is also very frightening to read this chapter, because I know all bets are off and that no-one is truly safe, so that worked very well too.

A few nitpicks for old time's sake.

"A falling reaper" would work better as "the falling reaper". Makes it sound less like common knowledge and more like the description of this one specific, somewhat awesome sight, even if it is how it always looks.

"The prothean sparred him only a glance" should be "spared".

"he returned it in kind" Can't return a nod in kind, that would mean lots of nodding.

"bursts of intermittent fire coming" should be "came". The sentence lacks an active verb.

"Tali, stay still, I'm apply" This verb is wrong. It should probably be either "I'll apply" or "I'm applying"

"leaving grunt the execute" should be "to execute"

"he could only wondered" lose the "ed"

"pock marked by weapons fire or scorched by fire" suggest "by weapons fire or scorched by flame" for less repetition of fire.

"the Reapers had no interested" again, lose the "ed"

"Fallback" should probably be "fall back"?

"and forcing it to the ground" should probably be "forced" as it follows another present tense verb.

Missed a full stop after "wreckage swirled"

"pressure on his head became an instant presence" That's odd. Either you mean "instantly became something" or you meant to say something indicating the strength or the acuteness and not the immediateness.

"against the console and looking" should be "looked"

"the last species that had fully understand" should be "understood"

"he could for a brief second every" misses a "see"

"he drug himself" should be "dragged"

"remember sacrifice" misses a "the"

Again, I can't really put into words how well you've handled this entire story. Honestly, if they ever made a series or a movie, they should just give you the money for the script and make it verbatim. You are absolutely amazing and if you ever made something that wasn't fanfic and it was half as good as this, it would sell. I would buy it, that's for sure.

Thank you, for all you've given me. Works like this is why I read fanfiction and while I will regret reading some fics, this will always stand out as time well spent. And the fact that I might read the entire thing end to end again at some point, should tell you that I really really like it.

I can't think of more to gush about without either repeating myself or reading the chapter again for more ammunition and I don't have the time for that. Again, thanks and amazing work.

Epilogue next? Happy writing and thanks a million from one of your biggest fans.
pr0ject-0verlord chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Two words of advice: DON'T CHANGE.. What I mean to say is don't change the epilogue to 'feed' the reviewers but do it from your own will instead...That being said I'm a bit sad to see this story ending and not hear a sequel...as well being a bit sad seeing it turning out to be filling up biowares 'plot-holes' still advance towards same 'endingswith a razor's edge of course)
darkerdeepdown chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
I swear that pool of salty water is from a worm hole dropping some sea water here. The tissues? A vain attempt to clean it up. What do you mean there was snot in them? Must have been some weird chemical reaction or something. Look I told you there wasn't wailing, that was me cursing the worm hole for making such a mess.

In all seriousness, this was fucking epic. The occasional typo aside, you weilded an epic like a bastard sword with the skill of a sword saint. Your crescendo had no equal, it is its own powerful showing and it is how this should end. Death is constant, death is real, and even the most biological or synthetic of consciences will fight tooth and nail to hold it at bay. Having the crucible be a big lock pick into the Realers source code and integrating it with a pair of scissors to cut the leash of all the rabid dogs made it feel like a space opera. The universe was saved by a lineage of hackers. That's got some sci-fi weight to it. Shepards back up plan was entirely feasible and it would have done exactly as he said it would have. Best part is that no one hit by it would have even known. Only those who would have survived would be aware and I honestly can't see them judging him too harshly. More a sad necessity that a man of war had to commit. But now they will only see the paragon of sentience and the most badass existentialist the universe has ever known. Wonder if he still would have sent the andromeda group as a supplementary back up.

Anyway, this was badass, you are a bad ass, here's a cookie, it's chocolate chip and laced with powdered Badass. Keep on keeping on my patron.
Gennai's Acolyte chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
As always, your writing is of excellent quality. Ashley's death was quite depressing, as was both Anderson's and the Illusive Man's (I've always felt that he was a very tragic figure), but I appreciate how you wrote them. The concept behind the Crucible's function was also well conceived. I'm very much looking forward to your epilogue, as I hope to see a fairly optimistic and happy conclusion after the horrors of the Reaper invasion.
Blood-Hawk-531 chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
It's a terrible day for rain.
Janizary chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Extended cut, heh. Nicely done, Tairis.
Hexist chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Stories like this are why I read fan fiction. Seeing gifted writers take the universes I love and evolving them beyond what the creators ever intended is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Requiem easily ranks among the best ME fics on this site and is definitely among the top 1% of fan fics.
HBW chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
As a long time fan of both Mass Effect and this story, I am a little sad to see you take a similar, thus far, route of the ending to your Tale as Bioware did with Mass Effect.

I can only hope beyond hope that it will change with the epilogue, but I will not fault you if it does not.

It has been an amazing rollercoster of a story and let no one tell you otherwise. I salute you good author.
A Darker Path chapter 42 . 11/7/2016
Oh my fucking god... Perfect, absolutely perfect. That was how Bioware should have done it, I can't think of a single thing to criticize, well done and happy N7 day.

Seth