Reviews for The Torchwood Effect
Shootingstar7123 chapter 1 . 3/11/2017
Read this a few years ago on AO3 and loved it... still do. This is an unexpectedly great story that could have been totally cheesy, but it wasn't. Thanks for a fantastic read!
Meatzman2 chapter 1 . 5/29/2013
Quite a pleasant little read, nothing earth-shattering but all the nicer for it.
The Sorting Cat chapter 1 . 7/15/2012
Very enjoyable, best ME/Doctor Who crossover I've read. Then again: I've only read this one... But that's because I gave up on all the others very quickly, because they were crap.

I'm not much of a Torchwood fan (was hoping for more of the Doc) but you made the characters believable and likeable enough.

A couple of formatting issues - ending and beginning scenes on similar lines was a nice touch, but most of the scene breaks are missing, so it became confusing. And at a couple of points there are notes to yourself along the lines of "moved this part here" and "insert a name here".
Adis chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
Enjoyable story, interesting premises. Liked how the Doctor fixed the relay problem by creating wormhole things, creative. Also quite liked how you got some Men in Black along too. Would have liked to maybe see a last interaction between Shepard and the Doctor before he dumped her, but that's just a personal preference.

Only a few complaints, one of them is the confusing formatting. It can get rather confusing when the scenes flip from Torchwood universe to Mass Effect universe. Perhaps better formatting here and there will clear up the confusion for future readers?

The other is how Thane is still alive. You do mention there are some "mysterious circumstances" that led to his good health, but sounds too "space magic" for me.

Overall, I'd say that despite the initial confusion and some niggly parts it's pretty good :).
pyrotorch246 chapter 1 . 6/15/2012
This was excellent. The characters from both universes were handled well (OK, you might have been a bit harsh on Owen), and the writing's solid.

My only complaint is that you jumped from what's going on with Shepard to what's going on in the ME universe without any sort of warning, and it got hard to follow. Linebreaks would have been nice.

-PT246
Sailoramber chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
lovely story. it's a thanklaess job writing crossovers, but you managed it beautifuly.

a few technical notes; the breaks in the narrative, shifting from universe to univers without page breaks,sometimes worked, but were often just confusing. perhaps if you just added a double space between lines it would help indicate the shift without breaking the flow? or not. i read it all the way through after all, and it didn't really detract from the story. i would have liked a bit more information on how things changed as well. for instance, how did Thane survive? you mentioned it was under confusing circumstance but even if you had just provided more questions and allowed us to extrapolate, would have been nice. and a bit more detail on the changes wrought in Sheps universe would've been nice. i also think it would have been more fulfilling to see the doctor one last time as he dropped her off, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

the story was wonderfull, loved the intro especially (don't let her near any world leaders!) and loved Shep's perspective on contemporary earth. she was a breath of fresh air in a world constantly questioning itself. having her read don quixote was a stroke of genius. i really like how she turned her armor into a bike (more or less) complete with N7 insignia, i now want a bike like that.

anyway, i would apologize for writing this veritable thesis, but as an author myself i know writers love lengthy comments, so i will end by say great job, and keep up the good work.
Nurane chapter 1 . 3/30/2012
Lovely story; good pacing and excellent characterization. The short sections really worked (I think). The bit with the cultists at the end was hilarious.

Only quibble would be formatting: perhaps the section breaks got lost in the upload, but without them, it took some time to work out when the story flips between the Torchwood universe and the ME universe.
Hioh chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
well... i liked it, cool idea and some nice writing. you should really have split into several chapters though, very annoying to read it all in one bug one