WisdomWright chapter 24 . 6/3/2014
Promises kept entertained me for days! It sometimes became so intensely suspenseful I had to resist the temptation to skip ahead. It had everything, adventure, romance, a coming of age story, and above all Dietrich, who perceivers throughout. He never fails to surprise the Rat Patrol with his fortitude and resourcefulness. In the series the character is given likable qualities but we all know he is doomed to a terrible fate. His odds of surviving the war would be minimal. As time went on he would become more under threat from the fanatical part of his own side. Even if he wasn't a part of the failed desperate attempt to overthrow Hitler he might have ended up on the (gulp) Russian front where the war reached some of it's heights of brutality and life expectancy was short. He might have refused suicidal orders or surrendered his men to avoid an unnecessary bloodbath. Needless to say only a handful of Germans ever made it back from Russian captivity. Even if Dietrich was captured early on as in your story he would have faced a devastated homeland full of suspicion when evidence of nazi war crimes became more apparent. Even Dietrich's wife shocks him by voicing her concern about his possible involvement. The author draws a vivid picture of what post war Germany must have been like. One of my favorite scenes is when Dietrich tells Martin what he really thinks about their former leader. Thanks dreiber for your intricate story!
Guest chapter 24 . 8/14/2013
Awesome story - fantasticaly written - I had a clear picture in my mind at all times thanks to your excellect despriptions.
Wyoming Outlaw chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
Thanks for a great story. I enjoyed it and hope you write another one soon. Perhaps a sequel? I felt that you really captured Dietrich's character.
tanda.mif chapter 24 . 2/2/2013
I think that it is very good history and very reliable. Very it is sorry that in Vietnam begun war so in bad time and prevented to do not another season of The Rat Patrol. Although it would be not so good(although Andy seems cute and for him very, very, very beautiful voice) without Tully
HairyBallofFur chapter 24 . 8/28/2012
I feel so inadequate to type a review of this story. I, like so many others, have rediscovered the "Rat Patrol" series on DVD. When I got the DVDs in the mail I could hardly wait to watch the hold series over again after so many years. When the last episode aired, "The Kill at Koorlea Raid" I was so thoroughly sad that it was the last of the series.

This story satisfies, in part, the relationship that Sam Troy and Hans Dietrich would have had if they had met after the war was over. This is a story of enduring friendship forged in war, respect, duty, honor, integrity...two men from so different backround forging ahead and finding common ground under such difficult circumstances.

Thank you for your contribution!
Nomad1 chapter 24 . 7/26/2012
Such a great story, and brilliant to find such a long read in this fandom. I hope you write more Rat Patrol stories some day!
KitKat132 chapter 13 . 5/13/2012
I'm around half way through, & loving every minute. You write Hans Dietrich & Sam Troy so wonderfully, just as I see them shortly after the war. Sam, as always, impatient & ready to go at the drop of a hat, & Hans, more calculated & cool, & not revealing his feelings. I can also feel Hans' despair, whether driving & seeing the condition of his country-the land & the people, or in his feelings of guilt (although I think unwarranted) in surrendering & thereby failing his men, & therefore himself. And just when he's getting to know his daughter, & earning her trust, he must again leave his wife & child. And this time, he is even more aware of what he's leaving, & what he could miss forever, if things don't go as planned. As to Martin, I'm afraid he may be more trouble than he's worth, but I really like the way Hans is teaching him by example, & hoping he can learn on his own, the realities of not just war, but the evils of the Nazi regime that he so greatly admires. Looking forward to the rest. Jen C
KitKat132 chapter 2 . 4/28/2012
I know he'll eventually change his mind, but I liked it when the captain called the majors bluff, & then walked out. I don't like Major Armstrong; he's an arrogant jacka$$! I do wish Captain Dietrich hadn't given him the satisfaction of responding to what he did regarding Wansee. And murder? He actually prevented the murder of the nurse, & possibly countless others! What would have happened if Wansee had gotten into the truck, & grabbed Nurse Arno, & used her as a hostage? The ending could have been far different. I didn't get why it was such a big deal, at least from the Allied perspective. The captain, however, certainly wouldn't want it known in Germany. During the first few years of post war Germany, most Germans were not happy with those who participated in any action against the Nazis. Thankfully, this did change, I think around the late 50s or early 60s. But I would worry for Captain D & his family if it were ever known. I felt bad for Captain D; I'm sure he thought he'd never have to think about Wansee again. I especially liked seeing his thoughts about how he felt soon after the incident. It shows even more what a decent man he is that he felt some guilt, even knowing what he did was right. A great second chapter, & looking forward to the rest.
FloatingPizza chapter 24 . 4/5/2012

Love, love, love, love.

Am feeling unable to give a half-decent review, but I do wanna say that was an excellent ending (Sam... Hans... xD) and you've really made me want to check out Heine. Like, alot.

Your writing has this sort of intensity to it, driving even in moments of relative calm, and once I started the last few chapters I found myself unable to stop. I love what you did with Martin. I was seriously wincing for poor Dietrich a few times (OK, alot of times, most of the time) in there. I kept on being reminded of post-Civil War southern US, I've always thought if Dietrich was American he'd be this old-class southern gentleman, and I totally mean that as a compliment.

In short, I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!
KitKat132 chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
I was so excited when I saw that you had posted this to ff. I've just finished reading chapter 1, & as I knew from having read your other work, I'm loving it.

I think you see Captain D in many ways as I always have. Not just the honorable soldier, born leader, & a man who always garners respect, but also as a loving family man, who values his wife & child above all else. I also have always seen him as aristocractic, sort of "old money" type of upbringing. (And I'm so happy the estate was not destroyed during the war).

I realy feel for him in trying to develop a relationship with his little girl, after being away so long because of war. (And I believe she is around the same age as HG/EB when he was born into war, & growing up in post-war Germany). I felt so bad for Hans when Gretchen ran from him after the tank comment, especially since he had intended the opposite affect. I am looking forward to their developing relationship, & I know that Gretchen will grow to love & trust him, & adore him all her life.

I also feel as though, even after only 1 chapter, that I know Ilsa, & what kind of woman she is (& I like her). Your characterizations are so full & vivid.

I am looking forward to reading more. Thanks for posting! Jen C
FloatingPizza chapter 9 . 3/27/2012
OK, so this is as far as I've gotten so far, I'm wanting to take my time and savor your writing :)

The pros first: I love the pacing of your writing. It allows for both character building and action, when needed, and is most pleasant to read. Your style is professional, and I enjoy the depth you've given your original characters. Dietrich and Ilsa, nothing more needs to be said.

And I understand where you're coming from with the characters, and why Dietrich's changed as much as he has. It's good material for a story, and this is a drama, after all. I feel something just a tiny bit off, but it's probably due to my excessive fangirling over Hauptmann Dietrich and desire to see him always like he was in the show, but let's face it, this story is told from his POV and it's character building and I love how accurate you are with history and the moral angles you're bringing in and the genuine humanity in this, so no complaints from me in the end :)

A few stylistic nitpicks: it would give your story a bit more of a professional look if the title weren't in all caps. Also, line breaks would be especially helpful.

One of my favorite scenes so far: Dietrich giving Martin a lesson in chapter 5. So very classic Hauptmann!
Firefall chapter 8 . 3/27/2012
Yippee, another Rat Patrol story! I just got my computer back from the PC hospital and now cured of the virus which left me stuck in real life I have found treasure in your story. I always considered Dietrich a very complex character and you have shown many of his qualities. You've also given him quite a plateful of complex and sometimes heart-tugging problems to tackle. I feel something is lurking to drop on our boys and I hope they all come through it well. Very well done! More please!
good4now chapter 4 . 3/26/2012
I have not yet started to read the next 4 chapters that are posted, but I did want to stop here and leave feedback around how much I am enjoying this story. In particular, the picture that you are painting of a post-War Dietrich is exactly as I would have imagined, complete with a run down country estate, loving wife and a child that considers him a stranger.

I also wanted to say that I also think that your original characters are very skillfully created. So much so, in fact, that I'm reading as much to see what happens to them as to the canon characters.

Great job! I know that I am not alone when I write that I absolutely cannot wait to read more of your story.
FloatingPizza chapter 2 . 3/26/2012
Oh my gosh, I am absolutley ADORING this story so far- best Rat Patrol one I've ever read! I'll be certain to come back and leave a more detailed review once I'm finished with the whole thing :) Thanks so much for sharing this!
jpercy chapter 4 . 3/25/2012
I like it, I like it. Waiting with baited breath for more.