Reviews for Watership Down Beyond The New World
RogueFanKC chapter 32 . 9/12
Another excellent chapter!

I was surprised that the military jet containing the prisoners landed so close to Vleflain, although I'm even more surprised that none of the rabbits spotted any of the prisoners themselves. They surely would have seen them parachuting out while the plane was still airborne, correctr?

Still, I'm glad that Alan and the others twigged on to Sam and Stonecrop's warnings and hopefully they can all be alerted of the dangers. And nice description of how Watership differed with Vleflain. Though it's definitely better than Efrafa, the fact that a lot of the rabbits are so used to taking roders without questions like Vervain's guards makes me nervous. I REALLY don't see Stonecrop and Sam liking it in Vleflain.

However, it was nice to see how Groundsel is a decent Chief and how Campion is still well liked. Vervain...ugh, I KNOW he's going to cause problems. The fact he's there makes me know he's going to side with the prisoners, especially since they need intel and he wants to be Chief. Although he has a point: Woundwort coming back isn't that far out there of the realm of possibility.

Ah, I remember Nyreem; I just hope it ends well waiting at night, although now I wonder when Sam is going to spill the beans that she's Robbins' sister.

Continue soon. :)
Chipster-roo chapter 32 . 8/11
*writes review* *accidentally deletes* Now that's annoying. Let's try again...

"Sorry for the delay" This chapter was actually posted faster than the last few chapters.

After two quiet chapters, we finally get action. That's really nice.

I like the fact that competent rabbits such as Holly and Hyzenthlay get chosen to go to Vleflain, instead of others like Hawkbit and Dandelion who would only cause trouble.

It's nice to see that Bigwig is willing to give Stonecrop a chance to accomplish something. Although he doesn't accomplish a lot so far, besides behaving like an idiot all over again. Sam doesn't do much either, but at least she doesn't threaten the mission like Stonecrop did.

It's also nice to see that the ammunition supply is getting low. What I mean by this, is that obstacles like this make the human characters struggle, and they therefore seem more real.

Your description of Vleflain is really interesting. While it remains more of a strict warren than WD, it still seems like a pleasant place to live.

It's weird that you say that the bucks only let Hyzenthlay go to Vleflain so she could meet some of her old friends from Efrafa, as the only friend she meets ends up being Blackavar, who has mated with Loganberry's OC.

Then, Vervain shows up and insults pretty much everyone, to varying degrees. Since he has not changed in all these years since the battle of Efrafa, it seems unlikely he ever will, and he may actually end up joining the criminals so he can get revenge on the outsiders.

He still worships the General, who is dead despite any rumours saying otherwise. Alan did meet him in Hell, after all. Or maybe you edited that in the original fic *checks* you didn't get that far in your editing yet...maybe he IS still alive, after all. Maybe we will get to see the Darkhaven rabbits in that case.

Enough speculating, back to what has actually been posted. The entire passage was especially good.

Then the characters find the remains of the plane. Your descriptions of the corpses and everything are quite disgusting, but that's probably intended.

Then, you meet another character, Riltha. In TFWD, it's spelled Rithla and the character is a buck. I don't mind the gender flip, though, you already did this with Prake and Celandine. Either way, Nyreem is in trouble. It's nice to finally see her show up, she and Quiens are some of the last few TFWD characters not to have appeared here yet.

A minor mistake: "they followed Nyreem to another part of the debris field" you probably mean "they followed Riltha..."

When Bigwig said that Hyzenthlay "call[s] [her]self co-Chief Rabbit" it took me a while to remember that she wasn't officially recognized as a rah yet. Embleer legal technicalities. Hopefully this will be taken care of soon.

I hope Alan's presence won't terrify Nyreem so much she loses the will to survive until daybreak when the others should be back with the required equipment. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to leave her alone with Hyzenthlay. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next chapter, to see how this all turns out. I hope it will be published soon.

Also, what are your thoughts on the new Watership Down miniseries being produced by the BBC and Netflix?
RogueFanKC chapter 31 . 7/16
I can't say I have much respect for Sandwort, Primrose, or a lot of the Watershippers after reading how they regard Stonecrop. However, reading Campion's arrival and report about Vleflain gives me hope on how he's going to fare in the new warren.

You'd think everyone would remind the younger generation that Watership Down was founded by the outcasts, the misfits, the people and common rabbits who had nothing because they would never make it into the Owsla. The whole community was founded by outcasts. So it kind of sickened me to read that friendship and loyalty was worth ostracizing a fellow rabbit who simply does not know Lapine culture.

I'm glad Sam is adjusting to the colony as well as Derek finding her alluring but I hope that she confesses the truth about her bloodline too. And with the criminals still on the loose, I have a funny feeling I know what the trouble with Vleflain is.

Continue soon! :)
Chipster-roo chapter 31 . 7/7
It's nice to see a new chapter only two months after the last one.

This was a rather quiet chapter. It's mostly about the daily life of the humans, and how Sandwort is still a bully.

The descriptions of future life are very well done. It must have taken you a long time to do some research to make this as accurate as possible.

The main plot element in this chapter seems to be how Sandwort keeps bullying Stonecrop because he is Sandwort and hasn't fallen down any well or anything. He's being really nasty, and Stonecrop, being unable to speak Lapiné and also an idiot, is a prime target. While I did say in my last review that Stonecrop was my least favourite character, it's hard not to feel sorry for him with all of Sandwort's bullying.

As for Primrose...well clearly calling her "female" was a much worse offence than I thought. I was sure the whole incident would have been forgotten by now. Oh well, looks like it's Hawkbit's fault for talking too much again. While Primrose's attitude is completely justified, she seems to be having some sort of remorse, but then Sandwort shows up again before anything more can happen. Overall, this is quite a mess. How it's going to be resolved, I have no idea...

A short passage: "Sandwort was finding it very difficult to adapt here" you mean Stonecrop?

Another thing I want to talk about is a romantic subplot. It turns out that Sam is not getting shipped with Hotdog (like I thought at the end of the previous chapter) but with Derek. I'm not quite sure what I think of this yet...especially since nobody knows her surname and Alan is starting to worry about that. RogueFanKC really does have a point that she should have told them a long time ago.

Finally Campion shows up, causing Hyzenthlay and Violet to freak out for some reason. He talks about trouble at Vleflain. Is it Vervain? Is it weasels that Stonecrop will somehow scare away and make Sandwort look like a complete fool? Is it the human invaders? Am I overanalyzing? Either way, it looks like I'll have to wait until the next chapter to find out. I hope you will be able to finish it by the end of the month, because this is captivating.

Also, I want to thank you for adding my Around the World fanfiction to your favourites. What are your thoughts on it?
RogueFanKC chapter 30 . 5/26
Wow, this was quite the chapter!

I have to admit that I'm worried about Crowley and his men. As much as I hate to admit it, there is no way Alan and the family can stand reasonably against that many armed mercenaries and criminals. Even with the element of surprise, they need some powerful allies on their hand. And with Sam losing the letter Drake gave her, they may not be able to save the future completely.

I smiled when Hyzenthlay got immediately angry at Hazel in thinking that Stonewort was his son, although I had to admit that Alan's logical guess that Stonewort was the first Lagomorph before El-ahrairah was actually surprising. That stumped me because I didn't think about it that way before, but then in a way, it was surprising how you twisted it so that the blood samples from the past caused the events in the future, like a loop or a paradox. Clever, indeed.

I also didn't think how Stonecrop speaking in English wouldn't be able to understand Lapine, but in a way, it made sense, and I had to laugh at his ignorance at calling a doe a "female" but I do like he's a loveable idiot who means well and cares for Sam.

Ugh, I think Sam should just disregard the advice and tell Alan immediately the truth that she's Robbins' sister. The longer she keeps it secret, the more they will have less of a reason to trust her. At least coming clean when she didn't have to will earn their respect and it will subvert the entire "deadly secret revealed too late" trope.

And on another note, I'm worried about the relationship between Sandwort and Holly. If Holly wishes to repair his relationship, perhaps he could pass his role as ambassador to someone else because if there's one thing I agree on, he should try to fix and love Sandwort and be there for his son. Despite the insults and arguments, Holly still loves Sandwort.

Can't wait for the next chapter! Continue soon! :)
Chipster-roo chapter 30 . 5/1
It's been almost five months since the last chapter. Since then, I've finally finished reading TFWD and I've been posting my own fic. Anyway...

You had me convinced for a while that Sam's leg had been amputated. Good job with that. I sure hope Hotdog won't fall in love with her, though. There have already been enough romantic subplots in the original fic.

Then Stonecrop shows up having apparently not been harmed by the wolves for some reason that hasn't been explained. I'll be honest: Stonecrop is perhaps my least favourite character from any adaptation of WD. So I really like to see him behave like an idiot. I especially like the scene with Primrose. Absolutely priceless.

Sandwort was handled rather well, considering he didn't have his comeuppance yet...will he ever have it, I don't know. Also thank you for simplifying the family tree, in TFWD I think he was Holly's great-grandchild. It's really complicated...

It's been so long since the last update I had to go back a few chapter to see who all these humans are. Anyway, this scene is very well written.

Then there is the trouble with DNA and Stonecrop being related to Hazel and all...come on Hyzzie my dear, chill. Hazel isn't Hawkbit. He wouldn't do something like that. Also there weren't even other rabbits he could have mated with in the past. I understand your concern, don't apologize, and in the end everything turns out all right, thanks SP.

I'm still worried over where that plane will crash. Hopefully it will be in the criminals' camp.

Also chapter 29 helped me win a Create Competition on the CCZone forum, so thank you for that.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
Franco731 chapter 30 . 5/1
I love this story! I wonder how they'll react to the mercenaries that arrived?
RogueFanKC chapter 29 . 1/19
Glad to see this update!

You got the entire chase and search and rescue scene done brilliantly! It was actually heart-stopping to read the wolf packs chasing them and how Bigwig tackled the alpha only to fall through the ice. Yeesh, as nice and peaceful as the future can be, you certainly showed the dangers of not only the wildlife but the weather.

All in all, I'm impressed with not only you describing the search and rescue but how lucky the humans are to establish a proper home with practically everything they need. Now my only worry is for Josie's son, Jamie, as well as Kenny and the other rabbits considering they're still out there.

I chuckled when Lucy did the massive flare; yes, her father may be a bit irritated, but he'd also be impressed. And I see Sandwort is still a bit of a brat, isn't he?

I do not look forward to Sam explaining who she really is; that isn't going to be pleasant. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Alan is the first one to tell her that he doesn't care and see Sam based on her actions rather than her family.

Wonderful chapter! See you next time! :)
Chipster-roo chapter 29 . 1/2

This chapter is better than the previous one, with all the action. The whole thing was very exciting, even if it was obvious that everyone would least this mission. When you get back to the invaders, I guess there will probably be mass death again...Anyway, I like the fact you used the idea of Bigwig falling through the ice like in the Christmas special in the series.

The part at the Down was also rather touching, especially with the love between Hazel and Hyzenthlay. Really a nice couple.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. I too hope it will be available soon.
Chipster-roo chapter 28 . 4/27/2015
Overall, this was a good chapter.

The part on the plane was well written. It was nice to see Haywood kill Travis, although I doubt one man less will really make any difference, especially since the plane that will crash soon. I just hope it won't crash on Watership Down or Vleflain like McEwen's helicopter crashed on Sandleford.

Nice to see Sam actually made it to the future alive, I was sure she had been killed. But with that injury, the elil (as a side note, the singular form appears to be "ela", not "eli") and the weather, she may not make it very far. Stonecrop will probably be all right, assuming he isn't injured.

One thing I never really understood was why Bigwig insists on keeping Hawkbit in the owsla. Hawkbit is perhaps the most useless rabbit of the entire warren. But he was often used on missions in the TV series, so it's all right here.

Good job on the cliffhanger. I really can't wait for the next chapter!
RogueFanKC chapter 28 . 4/27/2015
I actually had to smile for Major Haywood killing Travers. Score one for the dying major; if he had to go out, he went out taking out a bad guy. Although I have to question Traver's parachute falling out of the plane. I cannot help but think that is a red herring.

And I also get the feeling this isn't the last we've seen of Heywood's plane.

I'm a little worried for Stonecrop actually, although not as much as I am for Samantha, especially once the others find out her last name is Fields. Granted, I hope they eventually learn the truth that she wants to help and was sent for a reason, especially with Stonecrop needing to come into the future but she's going to be in for a rough time, and I wince at the explosion that is going to occur.

I enjoyed seeing the descriptions of the feast for Frith's Eve (although I'm surprised that some of the elil are edible) and I thought the bit about Josie and her waiting for her son in the guest bedroom was touching. You wrote her hope quite well; even if it's a small hope, she's hanging on to it because it's all she has. Although I get the feeling Jamie will be appearing soon...

Forget the elil; I'm more worried about Samantha being around hardened and escaped criminals (although the fact its winter may make it easier since they'll probably die due to the elements and exposure if not the larger animals looking for prey) who are now in the future. Here's hoping they can defend the Honeycomb with that many antagonists. I also had to smile at the title "Lord Brock's Wood".

Continue soon! And my sympathies for the writer's block; it's never enjoyable.
Ruby chapter 28 . 4/18/2015
Chipster-roo chapter 27 . 1/27/2015
Nice to see familiar characters again.

I somehow expected Hyzenthlay working for equal rights for bucks and does. I originally thought it would have appeared at the end of the original story, but it didn't, so I just forgot about it.

Well, I guess it was too good to be true for Bluebell to be back to normal after such an experimental surgery.

I'm a little surprised at Alan wanting to find those crypts of civilisation, as I never thought he wanted to rebuild human civilisation, or he would have brought more people. I don't think he will be able to find them any time soon, considering the approaching danger and the lack of any method of transportation for long distances.

However, there are a few small mistakes: "only the lagomorphs shared their human intelligence" What about Hannah? She seemed to have human-level intelligence too. Also, "Josh had finally determined that his new heart". Do you mean Josie?

So far, this has been a really great story, and I can't wait for the next chapter. Please update soon!
Chipster-roo chapter 26 . 1/26/2015
An intense chapter.

I was rather surprised to see that Mike McEwen knew where Sam was going, considering he didn't believe those rumours about time travelling.

The plane scene was well written. Thanks for not making it too gory.

I am really wondering who will make it to the future. Sam doesn't seem to have much of a chance after the glider accident, leaving only Stonecrop, but I don't see how he could make it very far alone...but then Drake believes that they will be all right. I guess I'll see in the next chapter.
Chipster-roo chapter 25 . 1/25/2015
I really don't know if Sam will accept that job to deliver a message in the future. But then, having made it that far, I don't think she could refuse...

And now Shartok wants to send a plane full of convicts to destroy the future. That's an interesting idea. But with Robbins and Woundwort dead, Crowley may have a bit of trouble.

I agree that it's a better idea to leave Jamie and all the others in the future. He would have no reason to go back to the past without having found his father, that's why he left to begin with...