Reviews for Unto the Curséd Stars
Peregrin Took the Falcon chapter 1 . 5/10
I'm glad to know my reviews are finding a kind home where they will be loved, cherished, and patted on the head. Expect more. Your Morgoth was very believably evil, although I'm not sure he would be the type to write poetry, seeing how his brother and those Vanyar were fond of it.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/20/2013
Please love, cherish, and pat this review on the head!
Lol

Great job, I thought you captured Morgoth/Melkor brilliantly

-Valandil of Nargothrond
LornaWinters chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
I loved the first stanza, and how you put it at the end, too! It kind of reminds me of a villanelle.
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Yeah, once again a fabulous poem from thewayfaringstrangers! This one has got to be one of my favorites – I really liked the first person voice and the dark elegance of Morgoth’s character from these lines, and as always, your poetic skills are exemplary.

I think you did a great job of portraying the Dark King in these few stanzas, and you wonderfully captured his hate, rage, and arrogance here. The language is also very elevated, even more so than in your other poems, which is appropriate for the vocabulary of one of the greatest of the Valar. But while the language is elegant, it is also very harsh with words like “devour”, “rent”, “curséd”, “riven”, and “quenched”. In fact, going through, there are so many words that have to do with death, destruction, and ruin – Morgoth’s vocabulary seems to be almost entirely built on those things, which just goes to show how far he’s fallen and how twisted his mind has become. Although I can feel his despair and hate coming through all these lines, I also sense this refusal to accept that he’s lost and this continued belief that he is still the greatest of all beings. I can especially feel this in the repeated stanza at the beginning and end, where he still seems to be trying to order the world to be the way he wants it to be. And his twisted boasts about scarring Tillion and veiling Varda’s stars and being “the Power” all play into this consuming pride of his as well.

I liked the little introductory paragraph before the poem, which set the mood for the verses. It also has the elegance that the poem displays, and even though it’s not in first person, it also is filled with words of hatred, death, and darkness, just like the poem. And you even use poetic devices in the intro (like the three time repetition of the word “dreams”) which prepares us for the actual poem.

And as for the poem itself, again, I fear I will sound overly repetitive if I go into too much detail. It was great. The meter and rhymes flow without a single hitch – I didn’t see a single place where I felt that either were awkward. The powerful stanza that is repeated was a great (and terrible) opening and closing. What a way to begin and end anything, with all those intense, horrible words like “destroy”, “devour”, “enslave”, “all-consuming”, and “curséd”. I loved the alliteration that is sprinkled throughout, especially in these two lines: “In swirling skeins of ash and smoke, / I veiled the stars of Varda's hand”. I also loved the internal assonance found throughout, like that in “ago” and “arose” in the third stanza. Your word choices, as always, are powerful and create vivid images. Yep, suffice it to say that I enjoyed it.

Fantastic, but wonderfully dark! Morgoth is a hard character to get inside of (especially in a little over a hundred words), but you have managed it. Brilliant job! Keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur

P.S. I don’t suppose you might have a first person poem idea for Sauron, now would you ;) ?
Mirach chapter 1 . 4/3/2012
Wow! Morgoth's hatred can be felt clearly from this.
Erwen Brogiel chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
I like this! The first (or last) verse sums up Morgoth beautifully, I think. That omnidirectional white-hot anger... it must be horrible to feel like that all the time. Good job; it flows nicely and gets the feeling across well.
Mornen chapter 1 . 3/27/2012
Ah, so dramatic.

I'm going to remember the lines:

'I scarred the face of Tillion,

When long ago he first arose;'

forever now whenever I look up at the moon.

This poem was very interesting from Morgoth's perspective. I loved how he was still angry and cursing even when he was imprisoned.

The verse about Varda holds his jealously, hated, and anger very well. He became the power that held the world, but only at the fate of destroying what the world actually was.

The cursed stars is pronounced curséd stars, correct?

Beautifully done, as usual. Keep writing poetry. :)
Galad Estel chapter 1 . 3/26/2012
"Destroy the Sun! Devour the Moon!

Enslave the earth in iron bars.

And raise the all-consuming Fire

Unto the cursed stars!"

Wow! What a battle cry, almost makes me want to join the dark side. Melkor is a very interesting to tear apart and analyze. Hmm, you have trouble with first person. I'm just the opposite. I have problems with third.