Reviews for Choices
Shen Peacock chapter 1 . 3/25/2014
You should do a story of Yon Rha's trial, and one for Long Feng and the Dai Li.
General Ripper chapter 1 . 3/25/2014
I think Yon Rha would have been one of the guys sent to trial.
NeverTooMuchInspiration chapter 1 . 1/20/2014
A nice exploration to the difficulties of running a country that are somewhat glossed over in the youthful focus of the canon. Sometimes there is no easy or right way for things to happen.
2BeRini chapter 1 . 12/14/2013
after reading this story, i could only focus on the reactions of the various characters in this story.

my take on aang: by not doing his duty as avatar, aang dumps the fate of oazi in zuko's lap. aang sees for himself that his mentor, monk gyasto, killed FN soliders. all of his past lives, including an air nomad avatar, tells him for the good of the world, oazi must die. despite all of the above, aang rejects what he has seen , what his past lives has said & says, hey, i'm above the truth i've seen & the truth i've been told by wiser & older avatars & cheats. he learns energy bending in order to take oazi's bending away & spares his worthless life.

then aang suggests article ten of the peace treaty, i think, not fully understanding the various customs of the various nations. however, i don't excuse his lack of knowledge. he could have learned basic things about each nation's justice system, but i feel that aang wants to get things over with asap so he could go play & bask in all of the attention of being avatar.

aang doesn't kick up a fuss & ask the other nation's rulers to "be gentle" to their war criminals. he doesn't even do it to zuko - that is, until oazi is found guilty of war crimes & treason. & honestly, i think the only reason why he wants zuko to spare oazi's life because he has gone against four past lives opinions to keep him alive. to ask zuko to give his father special treatment, to pardon him & spare his life, to me is insulting.

my take on katara: she slighty irritates me. for her to bring up princess ursa's confirmed death as his only reason to go through with carrying out oazi's sentence is - well, i thought she would know zuko better than that. & so what zuko will receive revenge against oazi the same time conducting FN justice - it's well deserved. and i'm sure katara has received her revenge/justice against her mother's killer. yon rah killed her mother & if he was still alive when the treaty was signed, he was executed. & for her to attempt to sway zuko into changing his mind about executing his father is troubling.

my take on mai: mai has the best, well thought out reason on why zuko should go through the execution. it's practical. oazi alive, even w/o his bending, gives the FN dissenters someone to rally behind. as long as oazi is alive, zuko is faced with the real possible reality of a civil war. oazi dead keeps zuko firmly on the throne, the crown firmly in his topknot & most importantly, his head firmly upon his shoulders. executing oazi sends a message both to the FN & the rest of the world - to the FN he shows a strong sense of brute strength & shows that no one is exempt from the laws of the FN & of the treaty that has been signed. to the EK, NWT & SWT he shows that the FN is showing that they are not above the treaty that they have signed. that despite his ag, he is a strong leader.

my take on zuko: my heart truly breaks for him. his uncle iroh was very close to be tried for war crimes, but once the evidence was gathered, he was not. uncle iroh (imho) prior actions as the dragon of the west did not qulify as war crimes because of the following - a) as a general, his actions were directed by the previous firelord & any deaths are in direct result of warfare. he has not gone beyond the letter of his orders. iroh ran a tight ship - he did not allow pilliaging of the villiages, torture of prisonors of war, the rape of women, the execution of children. anyone who did those actions were dealt with swiftly. these actions would not only been known to FN soliders, but known to EK & WT persons iroh came in contact with. b) uncle iroh is also a member of the white lotus & being that it is a secret organization, it's on with members of all nations. & in canon, we do not know what iroh has done prior to going out to sea w/zuko. it's very likely he was messing up the FN war effort with a select few, from the inside out. this also plays in his favor.

zuko is also dealing with his sister. let's be honest - attempted murder of the avatar is a war crime & is punishable by death, according to FN laws. azula escapes this fate because she's broken. she's insane & you can't execute the insane. so imho, zuko is also dealing with the reality that if azula wasn't insane, he would be pondering if he should pardon her also.

then the decision is rendered on oazi. there are no redeeming qualities about him. ozai has faked documents, ordered the death of his father in order to become firelord, he has his wife murdered, has mentally & physically maimed and abused his son, psychologically damaged his daughter & attempted to burn the whole EK down.

the worst thing- he has documented everything he has done. most disturbing (in my head canon) are the documents on ursa. he orders the death of ursa, his wife, the mother of his children but only after she has poisoned the previous firelord, ensuring his place on the throne. but ursa's a loose end that needs clipping. she knows that the will naming oazi as heir is a fake. she has only poisoned firelord azulon in order to keep oazi from harming zuko. oazi "banishes" ursa, but he has no intention to let her live. he knows the longer ursa remains alive, the greater the chance she has to make her way to iroh to confess all. oazi doesn't wants this to happen - if it does, iroh will challenge him for the throne & he knows he will lose. so he orders a discreet assassin, one that he has used before, has complete & utter loyalty to only him & most importantly - will not ask questions. the order is documented (stupid, but oazi is a volcano short of an eruption), given to said assassin & the job is done.

zuko knows that his mother is dead, has seen her gravesite, but the details surrounding firelord azulon's death leads to why ursa dies. & he finds this out in the most public way possible. & oazi feels no remorse & in my mind, laughs while this information is being read.

still, zuko is on the fence about oazi's execution. despite the good sense mai makes, there is still the little boy inside zuko that yearns for his father's love. & i think it is this little boy, not aang's & katara's arguments, that have the official pardon papers drawn up.

in the end, it's the FIRELORD, the leader of a rebuilding nation, a grown man that has been shaped not only by his father, but the world he has seen and experienced for three years for himself, that leaves those papers unsigned. & yes, it's because he's making a point to the world, but a little bit is in revenge for why his mother died.

but in the conference room zuko has hidden himself in - in there, the little boy inside of him is crying for the hard decision that he had to make.

great, wonderful story.
Yorushike chapter 1 . 11/24/2013
Hi,
I think this story portrais a truth that, sadly, is often forgotten in ATLA. Aang always talks about not killing and in his naive ways I think he truly believes that he can manage to save the world without it, but it just isn't true. At the battle at the Watertribe, how many must he have killed in the form of the ocean spirit? During the invasion haow many have died? Sadly this is never adressed in the original storyline, but you managed to do what the original did not.
Running away from the problem and closing both eyes to it doesn't solve it. No matter how much I wish for it.
Yet at the same time you do not fall into the trap of destroying the character of Aang, which would happen if he was forced to realise just how naive and untrue his view of the world is.
Great job :).
Greetings Yorushike
scorchedtrees chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
This was wonderfully written. I think Zuko made the right choice, hard as it was. Aang should've just killed Ozai :p
Pheonix2125 chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
i loved it! great highlight of want and duty. :)
KJun chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
Wow. Just wow.

Kat
Charmed Ravenclaw chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
This was really well written. All the main characters were in sync and the ending was just... can't describe it. Fits perfectly with canon
BlackRoseGirl666 chapter 1 . 7/21/2012
This was very well done. The suspense was well kept and the ending was very good. Everything flowed smoothly and you kept me guessing. All in all, very enjoyable.
The Animanga Girl chapter 1 . 7/3/2012
Geez, I don't know what to think...life or death...though choice...ugh!
Now I feel bad for Ozai...
invocation chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
The beautiful thing about fanfiction is that it is the flesh that fills out a the skeleton of a series. You've done a great job at creating a story that makes ATLA seem incredibly real. I love everything about this fic. It totally tears at your heart strings.
princessmelia chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
Thi was amazing. Characters correct, emotions provoked, tears were brought to my eyes. Congratulations on a great story! (Hardly any make me cry)
Athena's phoenix chapter 1 . 4/27/2012
Wow... Despite it all, Zuko, I think you made the right choice. It was what was agreed upon it the treaty, and any less would be going back on your word, regardless of personal interest.

This was very well done; I compliment you on this piece.
Chouko Chango chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
woah, poor Zuko. Really caught between a rock and a hard place. It totally felt like a kick in the pants, and i was only the reader. But i could totally see both sides of the arguement, but in the end custom of his own nation... tried and sentenced.

I totally enjoyed this fic.

haha Zuko is drowning in paperwork, he could always set it on fire... XD