Reviews for Soldier of OZ: Walker's Account
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 65 . 7/12
Nice
Tomovnikov chapter 65 . 7/11
Battle consequenes are in my mind, equally interesting, if not more so than that of the battle itself. Although, that might have something to do with me studying history for a long time now.

Also like how you continue to have group dynamics in play, with people being part of one group not forcing them into one particular way of thinking.
SmileRen chapter 65 . 7/10
I'm completely lost but I know something big just happened. Care to explain?

Thank you so much for updating! XD (and sorry for the lagging reviews)
NGTM-R chapter 64 . 5/31
Well. This was actually quite well-written for a mobile suit battle, certainly one of the better ones I've seen. (I suppose that's faint praise considering how few authors do them here, but you'd stand in good company among legitimately published mecha battles like the BattleTech novels; it's not Stackpole or Coleman's best but they shouldn't feel too comfortable about their lead either.) The maneuvers against the mobile dolls and Caardus were neatly played out and felt appropriate, and you portrayed Trieze as a highly capable pilot quite well; particularly the repeatedly getting into and out of Caardus' rear arc despite Farkill's best efforts.

I'm not sure how I'd describe the Zero System myself, but I like your take on it as well.
NGTM-R chapter 63 . 5/1
Well gee, thanks man.

To be fair, I've written about small towns between New York and Albany way more than I should. The good news is with Google Maps, we both get to sound like we know what we're talking about.

Farkill doesn't sound comically evil, and actually manages to hit that useful dividing line between crazy and possibly not crazy. I guess the question is...did Farkill stage-manage the change in orders for the mobile doll?
Margaret Armstrong chapter 1 . 3/24
I cannot tell you how utterly thrilling it is to find an intelligent story so thoroughly researched from the side of the OZ soldiers. I've recently gotten back into the fandom, and the way you've parsed out the engineering data regarding the mobile suits is absolutely lovely- I swear I could follow along in the Technical Manual.

The interplay among the characters makes me want to watch and re-watch the series again with the fanfic alongside to catch each little subtlety.

My hat is off to you, and I'm looking forward to each coming chapter.
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 62 . 3/9
Yay one of the battles I've been waiting for is here.
SmileRen chapter 59 . 11/29/2015
I have a feeling that something unplanned will occur with potentially very bad consequences... T . T

Kiest-Lang kind of reminds me of a Paragon female Shepard from Mass Effect :)
NGTM-R chapter 59 . 11/9/2015
Flight Officer Nene Romanov. One letter off from the original BGC character, and I immediately recognized the personality even with the very little bit we got. Containing my giggling was a struggle.

I'm surprised, even with the size of the submarine, that the AS-90 would have transited the straights on the surface. Shallow-water ops have been much on everyone's mind of late (irony; Clancy talked a good deal about shallow-water ops in the book SSN) and a sub on the surface is a dead sub. Once you're submerged, well, maintain your depth and don't touch the fairwater planes much and you should be okay. Of course, given they were rigged for quiet earlier, it seems like they entered the straights submerged. Change your mind?

I think your Trieze was...well, I'm not sure you hit where you were aiming, but I'm not sure where you drifted off-target either. Perhaps it's just that you don't have Trieze's superlative VA to carry the script.
NGTM-R chapter 58 . 10/18/2015
Be fair: the Tom Clancy Russian Invasion only happened once, and it actually had a pretty sympathetic portrayal of the Russians. Alekseyev has probably the best claim to being the hero of the book in fact. Clancy was always been reasonably kind to Russia, as weird as that sounds on the surface, and one certainly gets the sense he genuinely respected them.

Also anyone arguing about AC:AH being Russophobic has their argument made...awkward by Russian military adventurist antics of late.
NGTM-R chapter 54 . 6/12/2015
And so you put me to shame sitting over with my incomplete chapter and inability to finish it.

Interesting. Treize seems to imply he intends to resist Romefeller in his letter to Walker, but not only that, he seems to imply he wants Walker for his skills not only as a pilot and leader, but for his skills with mobile suit technology; this suggests something specific in mind. Finishing work on Epyon? Moderating influence on the hotheads in the Trieze Faction? His particular skills would lend him to a resistance movement's needs to maintain its equipment outside normal supply, and Trieze refers to him as one of many. I suppose Trieze could also be hoping one of his young engineer-combatants finds the flaw in the Virgo design that allows it to be defeated, but that seems more farfetched.

Of course, this also leads to another interesting question. What was the original fate of Walker's unit supposed to be, and for that matter, that of most of OZ's manned units? Mobile Dolls are superb heavy combat units, but they're no infantry when it comes to actually owning ground. (The Trieze Faction fighting a war as the rats in the walls has a certain appeal.) Putting hundreds or maybe thousands of mobile suit pilots out of work at once seems like a terrible idea, particularly when it comes to career soldiers and career officers like Walker. The Foundation didn't really intend to dismantle almost its entire armed forces at a stroke, did they? Or at least had some kind of plan for transitions...?
NGTM-R chapter 53 . 5/25/2015
Interesting political digression at the end...pretty sure it doesn't actually match reality, however. The truth is no one cares about Kasparov in the West either. I remember the commentary at the time about the issue, in fact; a sort of shrug, and a statement that Russia has never had a peaceful transition of power in its history. It was regarded as the inevitable expression of this fact.

I sympathize with your chapter names issues. I gave myself a theme naming handicap as well, of course, so I arguably have it worse and better at the same time.

I am curious though; I've always assumed the OZ astrosuit to be marginally armored, given it appears to have large hard-body portions. I notice you don't.

I'll also state that this is the part where I've really, honestly grown to like Kanna. It's...a long way in to be making that statement, I guess, so perhaps it's not as satisfying as it should be.
SmileRen chapter 53 . 5/18/2015
Interesting.
NGTM-R chapter 52 . 5/12/2015
Well. I suppose it was inevitable we got Wing Zero. And after the majority of the main characters are safely out of the way; my dreams of seeing Emi and First Recon drive it off (at horrendous cost) will remain unfulfilled. Fortunately for Emi. Shame about Khattab, though; I somewhat liked him.

Though now that I think about it, I wonder at Quatre's target selection. Not here, so much; it's constrained by the canon. Rather, in the canon itself, he starts with a (defended) resource satellite, moves on to an armed colony, then to an unarmed colony... His driving complaint, as such, seems to be that Outer Space is embracing war or at least weapons. Yet he also appears to actively avoid a direct assault on the primary military forces in space. He even relatively deescalates in terms of threat; the resource satellite seems to have more troops and be better armed relatively than any other target, even counting the Space Leos that accompany Heero and Trowa to the confrontation with Wing Zero.

The fact he's experiencing Zero System-induced psychosis isn't really any answer, because while Quatre has reached an insane conclusion, at no point in the course of attempting to carry out the acts this conclusion has spawned does he seem incapable of constructing otherwise logical plans. Indeed, he gives enough warning to allow the evacuation of the colonies he intends to destroy. Maybe the resource satellite is a test...but if it's a test, why did he start picking lesser targets afterwards? It doesn't seem that he's just going by order of distance; they seem selected, honestly, at random. His second colony kill was closer to the Moon than his first, and hence nearer to Trowa and Heero, which doesn't make much sense unless he moved from L4 or L5 targets to L1 or L2 targets, or even from one end of those Lagrange points, nearer to Earth, then to the end nearer the Moon. There must have been closer colonies he could have targeted.

If the resource satellite was a test, Wing Zero passed it easily. And if it passed so easily...why wasn't Quatre's second target Barge? A small mystery, perhaps worth addressing.
NGTM-R chapter 51 . 4/26/2015
So, the one thing that struck me here really.

What did Emi think she was accomplishing? I mean, yes, the questions, but she's not a trained interrogator obviously, and she went pretty far off the rails in the end; I'm quite surprised Luna or a guard didn't attempt to drag her out of the room.