Reviews for The Loving Kind
IceVault chapter 2 . 7/1/2012
Finally getting round to reading this! Sorry it has taken me so long!

I loved "mustakeers", too cute.

Edward's declaration about never falling in love is worrying, especially with what the prologue suggests!
PhoenixRN chapter 14 . 7/1/2012
I know Bella has issues and all, but she's being completely unreasonable. Please make her see the light- I have complete faith in you! looking forward to see what happens next :)
Bedelia chapter 9 . 7/1/2012
"she's an easy-going young woman, and I liked her immediately, mostly because she's so good to Bella."
And easy-going Rose whom Edward actually likes? You're definitely full of surprises! :D

"It's a little awkward, and a little embarrassing, but it's us, together, and it's perfect."
I love how realistic this is - that they're a bit clumsy their first time really being together. And once again, the lemon is tastefully done. Graphic descriptions aren't my thing, either.

"I wonder briefly if this game we're playing is too dangerous. I think of the warning Jasper offered me at Emmett's party, his concern for my heart. I dismiss the notion easily – I can't get hurt if I don't give my heart away"

Oh, Edward. You don't know how close you are to giving your heart away, dear boy.

"the first time he met her he noted that the pain she carried almost had it's own presence, a spectre that followed her around."
I like this - sort of a nod to Jasper's canon gift of being able to sense emotions. Also, I really like this Jasper. He's so understanding - and rather wise, it seems.

Aw. How many times have I called Edward sweet in my reviews? Well, I'm gonna do it again, lol. Him coming home to be with her on the 18th of October and cleaning her face and telling her she was perfect made me all swoony and melty. Love it. :)
Bedelia chapter 8 . 7/1/2012
"Chocolate chip pancakes with salted caramel sauce. Fuck, yes!"
Oh, my gosh. Why is someone not downstairs in my kitchen, making this for me right now? Life is so unfair, I tell you. ;)

And my brain just went on a weird tangent, wondering if Australian pancakes were like British ones (which are a bit like crepes), or thicker, like American ones, lol.

Oh, poor Bella. :( Ugh, no wonder she doesn't want to see Leah.

"She gave me a lot of bullshit reasons about me being too 'nice' and sheltered, and how I wouldn't have been able to understand what it's like to feel that way, to feel as though having to live each day was an impossible burden."

Definitely bullshit reasons. Ugh. I am not thinking kind thoughts about Leah right now. I'm not sure I would be able to forgive her if I was in Bella's shoes.

"I try to infuse everything I wish I had the words to say into my embrace: that I care, that I'll always listen, that I will be … well, I'll be anything she wants me to be."

And this boy thinks he has nothing in him to love. Oh, Edward. How wrong you are.

Such a powerful, moving chapter.
Bedelia chapter 7 . 7/1/2012
Haha, aww. I love that Bella talks about Edward all of the time, according to Alice.

'"So, it's not true then, that the quiet ones are the wildest in the sack?"

The muscles in my jaw clench immediately, and my fingers tighten around the bottles of beer I'm holding. Smarmy-face leers at me, raising his eyebrows suggestively, as he jerks his head in Bella's direction. Did he really think I didn't know exactly what he was insinuating?'

Seriously. The girl is supposed to be his girlfriend; he's not going to tell a complete stranger about her habits in bed! Well, not if he's even halfway decent, at least. I wish I could say I've never met a guy like smarmy-face, but I totally have.

And smarmy-face is Alistair! Again, you surprise me with your character choices. I was expecting James. :) Definitely refreshing.

"I can see so clearly that, unlike me, she has so much to give."
Oh, Edward. :(

"Uneasiness settles into my gut as I contrast Bella's eyes, sparkling with delight, with Jacob's: dark and vacant, haunted."

Ooh, this makes me wonder if my suspicions about Jacob's mental state are right. If so, I wonder if that's why Bella apparently left Edward - why sending him the note from the prologue was necessary. Finding out about his antidepressants might not go well, I'd imagine, if they dredge up bad memories about Jake. I wonder if she'd break things off with him, not wanting to get involved in that again.

I love how excited Bella is about Edward's birthday. :D Too cute.

"I'm talking about you. That girl is under your skin. It's not her heart I'm worried about."
Yep, I'm with Jasper on this one!
Bedelia chapter 6 . 7/1/2012
"Garrett, shut up."

Garrett blinks at me in shock, taken aback by the forcefulness of my tone.

"Seriously, dude. You shouldn't tell me stuff about Bella; she might not want me to know certain things, and you've gotta respect that."

Oh, I love Edward even more for this. Good for him.

Haha. I love the reason Mike was sitting on the doorstep when Edward got home - because Bella refused to let him in. Good for her. He's definitely too creepy and pushy. And ugh, then he gives Edward a hard time about "dating" Bella, as if he owned her because he spent some time hanging around the house and making her uncomfortable. I just want to knock some sense into that boy.

"Then, just because I've wanted to since the first time I laid eyes on her, I grab her ass and give it a good squeeze."

Hahaha!

Hmm, I'm thinking their pretend relationship isn't going to be pretend for long...
AuroraHajnal chapter 14 . 6/30/2012
Love it, can't wait for the next one. :)
Bedelia chapter 5 . 6/30/2012
Aw. I love when there's a strong mother/son bond between Esme and Edward. Always makes me smile.

Poor Bella. I couldn't help but laugh at her as she slammed the pots and pans around and berated herself for not seeking out a one-night stand.

And aha, well, I suppose Edward has *technically* kept his promise to Garrett to not sleep with Bella, lol. That whole scene was very tastefully done. So often, fic authors go overboard with lemons, describing everything in too much detail with an overabundance of cringe-worthy synonyms for various body parts. You kept it simple and just perfect, really. Well done!

Wonder how this is going to affect their relationship...
Bedelia chapter 4 . 6/30/2012
You know, I'm going to be sad when I'm all caught up with this story and I'm following it as a WIP. :)

Bella and Edward's banter over her red shoes was so cute.

"Well, in order for us to rescue the cats, they needed to get stuck first"

Haha! I can so easily picture a young Edward, Emmett, and Jasper doing that.

And Edward fainting while watching his aunt give birth! This chapter has me laughing quite a bit, so far. :)

"the eyebrow piercing and Che Guevara tee-shirt are mind-numbingly commonplace, and his waist length dreadlocks"

I love this version of Emmett! Sounds like almost every guy I went to college with, but not like any Emmett I've ever read before.

"A part of me is morbidly curious; I wonder what illness could have claimed Jacob's life, what illness he could have hidden from her so successfully."

A part of me wonders the same thing. I'm wondering if she meant a mental illness, not a physical one - if Jake was the one in this story who committed suicide. I'm sure I'll find out, in time.

Bella surprised me with the one-night-stand plans! On to the next chapter to find out how that goes for her!
A Little Ramble chapter 14 . 6/30/2012
Sigh. I knew this would happen but I still feel sad. Not just for Edward, for both of them. I can't wait to see where you take these characters next.
Guest chapter 14 . 6/29/2012
Ouch!
Bedelia chapter 3 . 6/29/2012
"It's, therefore, quite a surprise when I stumble into the kitchen in search of coffee on the first Monday of the new semester, to find a really cute ass poking out of the fridge."

Haha! I love this introduction.

"Either she just doesn't care, which is fair enough, as I've only known her for fifteen minutes, or she doesn't feel the need to offer her opinion on how I should be living my life."

If it's the latter, then Bella is part of a rare breed. ;) I like her already.

"Sure it is," Bella sighs. "Why is the clock on the oven an hour and a half fast?"

OH. That explains the 21:32 thing, then. I was so puzzled by that, haha. Guess it managed to confuse both Bella and me.

Ahh, Mike. Clueless as ever. At least Edward realises that Bella is uncomfortable and her laughs and smiles are faked.

"He's like an annoying lapdog, you know? He'll yap a lot, jump all over you, and slobber everywhere, but he's not dangerous."

Haha. Possibly one of the best descriptions of Mike Newton I've ever read!

Also, Mike's winks are creeeeepy.

"I also know I've felt grief for a child that too many people have tried to tell me wasn't truly a child yet."

Oh, goodness. I wish this wasn't as true to life as it is. I'm not sure why some people believe that trying to tell someone they shouldn't be grieving over something will in any way make that grief any less. Just plain insensitivity, I suppose, coupled with a complete lack of genuine thought on their parts.

I'm so glad Bella agreed to go out for a beer with Edward, in spite of him putting his foot in his mouth. :)
Bedelia chapter 2 . 6/29/2012
Ooh. Is it weird that I think having Angela be Jasper's cheating wife is a refreshing choice? 99 percent of the time, his ex or soon-to-be ex is Maria. I love that you went a different route.

"I don't speak to Emmett for two weeks after his girlfriend, Leah, invites Angela and Ben over for dinner. I'm furious; as far as I'm concerned, it's too damned soon for everyone to be playing nice with them."

Oh, Edward's reaction is such a familiar one. I've seen it dozens of times. Rings very, very true to life. Also, pairing Emmett with Leah - another unusual choice! I like it. :)

"the three mustakeers"
That is just adorable. :D

"Earlier this week I decided that I would never give a woman the power to do what Angela has done to Jasper. I swore I'd never fall in love, because falling in love is basically handing someone else the power to destroy you. Now, it occurs to me that this is not something I need to fear. I'm too damaged, too broken. There is nothing in me to love; nothing in me that would inspire a woman's affections."

Everything about this passage just breaks my heart. :( That he thinks love isn't worth it, and that he thinks no one would ever love him is so sad. Says a lot about who he is, too, I think.

"It reads 21:32, so it is, in fact, almost 8pm."
Err, 21:32 would be 9:32 PM, wouldn't it? :) But eek, so worrying that Edward is losing chunks of time.

"Garrett grew up in Australia, where his Dad lives. He only moved to the US three years ago for college, and his accent is still as strong and fucking annoying as ever."
haha. I love that you made Garrett Australian. I can only imagine that it's going to be refreshing to read an Australian character written by an actual Australian. I was reading one the other day that was, um... clearly NOT, lol.

Can't wait for Bella to show up! I'm enjoying this so far. :)
jea28 chapter 14 . 6/29/2012
Beautiful chapter. Exquisitely heart-breaking. I can see now why Edward wishes he never told Bella he loves her. You wrote this so well, Shel. I felt Edward's initial bewilderment, eventual understanding of Bella's angry questions, and then the utter heart-break when he realises he's lost her because of something he's completely unable to prevent. It's bad enough to have a medical condition, but when someone makes you feel "less" because of it... I know Bella has her own angst to deal with because of Jacob, but her actions toward Edward border on cruel. So we must be close to the prologue now. I know he forgives her, but I wonder if she'll be able to forgive herself? Looking forward to seeing how you reconcile them.

I've been wanting to read this new story of yours for awhile. Forgive me for not reviewing sooner. I couldn't not review this chapter though. Well done!
vodkavamp76 chapter 14 . 6/29/2012
Oh Shell, I was nearly in tears by the end of this. Poor Edward! I understand that Bella has been hurt in the past by things being kept from her, but Edward is a complicated creature. She needs to realise that him not telling her was never about her, it's about him and what he needs to feel normal. Her reaction could be seen as a bit selfish in some ways perhaps.
Lou xx