Reviews for Snowfall
Meggels chapter 4 . 9/29/2012
While I have never been much of a fan of the Terrorists, the more stories I read of them, the more I appreciate them. This story piqued my interest from the start - sorry it took me so long to review I so feel this is very different from your usual writing, but I can see some examples of this side of you (for example in Always). I actually prefer this to the more ludicrous of your stories. I feel this tone makes the characters more human, gives them more depth. I feel you have really captured the essence of true depression. That numb, listless feeling that nothing matters and you are dead to the world, like you can't even bother smiling, or you feel you shouldn't. I think this is especially prominent in this last chapter. I do like Miyagi's dad. You can see he is a caring parent and worried about his son. I also feel there are elements of the present day Yuu in there too. Anyways, I think I have rambled enough. I love this story and its tragic beauty and dark themes (just call me macabre) and I hope you continue!
Don't Preach chapter 4 . 4/16/2012
Hey sweet Bird, the Dog is down at the moment, so I am here in his stead until his tail starts wagging again.

Thank you so much for this amazing glimpse of back story. I am so loving this bit of Miyagi's history. This little domestic scene with Miyagi and his father makes my heart swell. I can see so much of the future professor in Miyagi Yoshi and that bit from the canon about the horoscope and the starfish was just brilliant, I might add.

So sad to hear about Miyagi's mother. I am curious as to what happened to her already. If the poor boy lost her as well, two women that he cared about around the same time, no wonder he would have such difficulty bonding with Risako.I imagine he might subconsciously think that if he loved them then that would mean they would leave.

You paint such a realistic picture of depression here. Yoh's strained interactions, his apathy and lack of affect, his despondent thoughts and the despair that lies just beneath the surface of his skin... It's gripping.

I found the talk about the job very poignant. I always imagined Miyagi from a family that had limited means and struggled financially, so this is so great to read. His stiff interaction with his mother too. I could picture it so clearly and it ties in so perfectly with his manner in the future as he is learning to be intimate and express his love to Shinobu as well.

And damn those depressive genes, they fit like a glove and once you zip into them, getting out again is all but impossible.

The aquarium epiphany was brilliant and so heartbreaking.

"But now as an adult, Yoh's opinion of them had changed. In fact, he was starting to feel contempt for the creatures. They swam around in such carefree bliss, never noticing that they were stuck in a measly 30 gallons when they could have an ocean.

What stupid creatures. Content to live with nearly nothing, not even have the capacity to dream of more.

Yoh's chest sunk slightly as he caught himself having such harsh thoughts of their pets, and he released the angry tendrils from his mind, still staring at the fish.

Then again, maybe he didn't hate them for that reason. Maybe…maybe it was just the way they floated around in suspension. Like they were held up like puppets on strings, having neither the ability to live freely or to die, but only condemned to swim in limbo.

Yoh's chest sank further, and his lips curled downward as he had a brief epiphany.

He too was condemned to swim around in his own wretched limbo.

A limbo called life."

Sorry to quote all that back to you, but I just found it so profound.

This is wonderful in it's angst. Do you know TS Elliot's Preludes? I have only shared this poem with one other reader before and your fic reminds me of it. I have enclosed it below. The last two stanzas (is that what they're called?) Never fail to give me chills, just as your cold, quiet "Snowfall" is doing.

I

THE WINTER evening settles down

With smell of steaks in passageways.

Six o’clock.

The burnt-out ends of smoky days.

And now a gusty shower wraps 5

The grimy scraps

Of withered leaves about your feet

And newspapers from vacant lots;

The showers beat

On broken blinds and chimney-pots, 10

And at the corner of the street

A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.

And then the lighting of the lamps.

II

The morning comes to consciousness

Of faint stale smells of beer 15

From the sawdust-trampled street

With all its muddy feet that press

To early coffee-stands.

With the other masquerades

That time resumes, 20

One thinks of all the hands

That are raising dingy shades

In a thousand furnished rooms.

III

You tossed a blanket from the bed,

You lay upon your back, and waited; 25

You dozed, and watched the night revealing

The thousand sordid images

Of which your soul was constituted;

They flickered against the ceiling.

And when all the world came back 30

And the light crept up between the shutters,

And you heard the sparrows in the gutters,

You had such a vision of the street

As the street hardly understands;

Sitting along the bed’s edge, where 35

You curled the papers from your hair,

Or clasped the yellow soles of feet

In the palms of both soiled hands.

IV

His soul stretched tight across the skies

That fade behind a city block, 40

Or trampled by insistent feet

At four and five and six o’clock;

And short square fingers stuffing pipes,

And evening newspapers, and eyes

Assured of certain certainties, 45

The conscience of a blackened street

Impatient to assume the world.

I am moved by fancies that are curled

Around these images, and cling:

The notion of some infinitely gentle 50

Infinitely suffering thing.

Wipe your hand across your mouth, and laugh;

The worlds revolve like ancient women

Gathering fuel in vacant lots.
Ricchan14 chapter 4 . 4/15/2012
I want to see more into Miyagi's life, it's so very interesting. So the reason Miyagi is so apathetic kind of relates to his mother's depression? Forgive me, I'm not very good at interpretation. Anyways, looking forward to next chapter!
Cerberus Revised chapter 3 . 4/5/2012
My Dear BF,

After leaving a rather raucous review on your MF boards I think my tone may be a bit more subdued here in keeping with the tone of this fic. You are doing a beautiful job on this.

Terrorist is such a complex couple and Miyagi a dark and handsome mystery, a study in contrasts. That's why I am so pleased to see such a great writer like yourself explore him.

I only hope it sparks a trend.

You write the disaffected teenage Miyagi wonderfully. His cold brooding makes it seem as though his heart is frozen. Such a contrast to the warmth of how the fic opened. What a great transition.

The whole bit about the girl and his confusion and lack of emotion, such a foreshadowing of his later life with Risako. Just wonderful and so teenage real feeling. I am just loving the cool, quiet drama of this piece.

Once again your OC's are flawless

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for writing about this. I am so looking forward to more.

And now the wild cur comes out incited by your AN:

Who haven't I done? Damn I like the sound of that. Wish I got around in real life that much... what fun...

Oh... wait... Erm...You know I am only kidding Flamingo...

Come on now Baby Bird... don't walk away all feather fluffed like that...

Honest you know I take our betrothal seriously!... *Watches Flamingo fly away*

Damn... I guess I'll catch up to her next chapter. *Goes to write "I'm sorry" chapter to bribe himself back into the Bird's good graces*
fauchocolat chapter 3 . 4/5/2012
Firstly...sorry I didn't review sooner...-" I was juggling my sleeping hours, my homework, personal issues, and friends. I finally have the time on my hands now :)

You say my prediction will not be far off? Although a part of me hope so, another part of me don't :p How should I say this? based on the tidbits in the original series we all know what kind of person Miyagi is: outgoing and cheerful, but of course he has his own share of sadness though it's not shown often to others. I am thus particularly interested on how Miyagi's sensei will change him into the Miyagi we know.

And yeah, I noticed Miyagi and Takano has similarities. Their indifference and nonchalance towards things, their attitudes towards girls who like them, that their lives changed due to one thing: love ;) and other kinds of stuff.

Oh, btw...I think there will be an argument between Midori and Miyagi. Well, I don't know whether or not it should be called argument, because Midori's going to be the one who does all the argues and complaints.

I love this chapter! And now I can't wait to see Miyagi's parents! Are they the one who made Miyagi so lifeless or is there other reason behind that..I must find out! Waiting for the next update :D
Ricchan14 chapter 3 . 4/5/2012
It's interesting how cold and uncaring Miyagi is. It almost reminds me of Takano in high school. I wonder how his parents will be like? By the way, does Takahashi Kazuhiko have a relation to Misaki (he probably does but I can't figure it out).
puppyfacetwo chapter 3 . 4/5/2012
Geez, Miyagi in high school is kinda depressing. He's so aloof about things. Kinda makes me wonder how he ever became the bubbly, annoying person we know and love. It'll be interesting to see where things go now, so I'll catch you then. :3
SangoSnow26 chapter 3 . 4/5/2012
Thanks for the compliment I'm glad that my reviews bring a smile to your face. I, personally, think a backstory on him is very interesting,considering his past obviously affected him a lot. Like you said, he was pining after the woman for a very long time...it's sad that he had to lose someone that he cared for so much, but then if he didn't there would be no terrorist and as Shinobu says, they are destined for each other.

So anyways, ignoring my ramblings", I think you do a good job of capturing the thoughts of an apathetic teenager. At this point, he really doesn't care about much at all and I cant wait to see how his sensei brings some life into him. :) Everybody needs a little added color to their life. I'll be wating for the next update
puppyfacetwo chapter 2 . 4/2/2012
I'm a little wary of this, but so far it seems like it's doing real well. So we'll see where things go. :)
SangoSnow26 chapter 2 . 4/1/2012
Interesting! I've always kind of wondered about Miyagi's past...(so has my sister and by writing this you've made her day lol) Id say he is less explored than some of the other characters. (Probably cause the terrorist couple has the least amount of chapters. It makes me sad cause they're like my favorite I adore them.) So this will be intriguing to read and I have to say you've done a beautiful job already Can't wait for the next update!
Ricchan14 chapter 2 . 4/1/2012
Ah I'm really loving this. I've come to expect this fanfiction brilliance from you though, Black Flamingo (from when I was an anon). Please update this and other stories soon! Bye bye :D
Don't Preach chapter 2 . 4/1/2012
This is so unexpected and wonderfully delightful for this very reason. I really can't think of a single fic I have read that has truly delved into this part of Miyagi's life and in such an intimate way.

Your writing here is just wonderful Flamingo. Your exploration of Miyagi's character and the presentation of that flat affect that so enraged Risako in his later years is captured so beautifully. Miyagi has become a mystery to be solved. How exciting!

One question, do they have tenure in high school for teachers? If they do I was unaware of it. I thought most secondary schools were strictly contract based.

Regardless as always your OC is wonderful and fits into the canon play seamlessly.

Miyagi here reminds me so much of SIH's Takano. I have always seen great similarity between the two characters.

I for one cannot wait to see Miyagi come alive under the influence of his Sensei.

Will you be covering aspects of his homelife too? I have always been curious of that and as you know I am a huge sucker for back story.

Last thing before I head off to catch up on reviewing you other stories. It may be just me, but I feel there has been a significant shift of late in your works. There is still the wonderful whimsy and the razor sharp humor,the occasional growl before the fierce bite but I am also finding your in your fics increasing moments of the tender and the quiet growing more solid.

There is a strength and growing maturity in this softer voice I see sneaking into your works.

And please know, contrary to popular opinion, softer doesn't weaker. In fact I am finding your stories all that much more powerful and moving for this.

All this to say... you ever impress me my dearest Bird! Amazing, Wonderful, Genius. Now I have yet another fic to impatiently wait for.

PS might your question for Miyagi be a reflection of your own recent academic adventures?

"You see Miyagi," He continued. "I know we teachers like to pound it into you that school is serious and that your futures are at stake, but it's also true that learning is a wonderful, enjoyable thing, and we can all traverse our daily paths with both respect and pleasure. Listen Miyagi-kun, is there anything that you enjoy? What do you like? What's the one thing that you get up for in the morning?"

A well placed question offers more opportunity for learning than any lecture I believe. I'll stop with the personal inquiries now.

Kisses!
Don't Preach chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
OMG My Black Flamingo, you have turned into a FF machine and I love it.

May I just say I love the was you write Terrorist and this entry to your story is so beautifully written.

Such exquisite tenderness. I so enjoy it when you rant in your fics but your quiet is equally powerful.

The tender touches, the beautiful build up, and all set so realistically. I felt like a moth on the wall, drawn by the warm flame of Terrorist love.

Now I'm going to flit off to the next chapter.
fauchocolat chapter 2 . 4/1/2012
O...kay...now I see where this fic is going to...

But I dont care! I love your stories so much, and that's that! :p Keep updating with your fantastic ideas and the more adoration I have for you! :3

*gasp* you're a Terrorist fan? I apologize if my review for chp 1 offended you somehow.. .;
fauchocolat chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
I'm already hooked up with this story! Usually it takes a lot to get me interested in the Terrorist (sorry for any Terrorist fans, didnt mean any offense). But you've reeled me right in!

And I see chapter 2 is here! so...i'm to chapter 2! :D