Reviews for World Under Siege
Meadhbh.97 chapter 32 . 8/7
I read this in three days. I was happy to miss the sleep. I could not put my phone down. The way it was written is exceptional. Truly one of my favourite fics. Everything was perfect. Even the dark moments were just perfect.
I cannot wait to read the sequel. I will be starting right away. I can’t wait to see what happens next.
FateDebated chapter 1 . 7/14
I have finally made it to reviewing a story by an author who is, reportedly, still alive on this site and yay am I excited! Better not screw that up. That being said, please bear with me, as I absolutely suck at reviewing epic multi-chapters, which is exactly what this is. I just feel like I am watering them down and skimming over many great things for the sake of the bigger picture. I guess that is not a problem when you review chapter by chapter but what can I do when the epic I want to review is already complete? Nothing much then this, apparently, so here goes.

First and foremost, I need to emphasize that, aside from character portrayals (which is my favorite part in every story I review anyway and I'll be talking about those later), you manage to do two things very, very well in this story, namely – your action sequences re absolutely fantastic and your philosophical musings at nature of humans are a treat. Now a little bit more detail on both.

I have to confess that when dealing with multichapters, I always tend to skip action sequences. I just can’t be bothered. I know it’s unfair to the writer and it’s cheating, but that’s what I do. This fic, however, kept me absolutely glued to the screen each time a big confrontation came along. You should do movie scripts, you know? You manage to offer perfectly sufficient descriptions of all happenings with minimal verbosity, which is a rare talent. I didn’t get lost, didn’t get bored and, more importantly, felt every rush of adrenaline along and between the lines. Kudos!

As for the philosophy – you tackle a lot of complex concepts along the way. I couldn’t help but notice that you aimed at PhD in Political History and I find it fitting. The way you make Loki and Jane discuss democracy and dictatorship, efficiency and freedom, unruly and self-destructive, while brilliant nature of humankind, is truly unique in the world of fanfiction. Thank you for this, it’s truly a rare occurrence to read in here.

Now to the peoples - your portrayals of Thor and Tony are uncommonly well crafted. I rarely focus on value of secondary characters (and therefore, please excuse me for entirely), but Tony and Thor were true showstealers. With Tony one comes to expecting that somewhat, it’s his second nature, but with Thor? I never particularly liked the character, too straightforward. And the chemistry with Jane on screen? Non-existent. Yet in here, you manage to put his straightforwardness to such good use when contrasting it with deliciously twisted workings of Loki, that, oddly enough, Thor manages to truly shine.

I love your Jane. The MCU offers such a nondescript portrayal of her character that she becomes instantly forgettable despite being portrayed by Natalie Portman. You, however, give the character the depth and the flesh that makes her truly unique in the world of demigods and superheroes. I like how she is not a fighter in a classic sense, but is fueled with the relentless, somewhat selfish drive to be acknowledged. Even knowing that her actions brought the result they did, she admits that she’ll do it all over again.

She is resourceful. She is good at planning and implementation of those plans of hers – her first try to escape falls short merely because she is not familiar with the full extent of Loki’s power. Her second, however – loosening the hinges of the door to escape – works well. She is the master of dusting herself off and trying again.

Jane is a scientist – she is good at analyzing data and variables into a conclusive theory, but even if she fails to do so, she can still use what knowledge she has as leverage. That being said, she is also great at resorting to faith where science fails her. In one of my favorite scenes of the story, in Chapter 5, she talks about what it was about her that made Thor change, citing her belief in him as a person as the main reason. That is very much true. A woman of science approaches facts and events with logic, but people with faith, making her truly unique. She is the epitome of compassion, understanding the motivations behind even the most despicable of Loki’s actions, while also possessing the ability to see his aims. It’s very poignant that from time to time she handles both Thor and Loki, ageless demigods, as little boys - with motherly wisdom, seeing their childish motives for what they are and providing the much needed comfort. She also knows when to withhold emotions and truth – she does not tell Loki that she could love him, even so he desperately wants to hear it. She understands the importance of Loki making the right choice by accepting liability for his actions without the reward of her potential attraction. I relate with her deeply in this.

Your Loki is very, very good. I find him absolutely deliciously dark at the beginning of the story. He’s so irresistible - even his occasional physical violence does not tip me off. Am I a bad person because of this? I don’t know and I do not particularly care. Me liking your Loki is not surprising in the slightest – it has been well established that I like my villains dark. What is more surprising, and, most importantly, attributable to your penmanship, is that I continue to like him even when he softens up. Kudos for that again! I know no other author here that made me like a path to redemption. Could it be that it’s because you make it believable by not taking it to an extreme? I don’t know. But this redemption is only quasi, after all. Loki says as much. He will never be his young, clean, innocent self. That Loki is dead. Instead, he will be this delicious shade of gray, ever shifting under the strong current of his vicious emotions, always unpredictable. He believes himself to be a good ruler and he probably is – I can’t help thinking whether the kingly decision that Thor makes towards the end of the story would have been more palatable if made by Loki. It’s a right decision, a logical one, but utterly devoid of compassion and regard for human life. Somehow you come to understand that about Loki, but it’s really hard to stomach from Thor. Either way, Loki remains a vicious, power-hungry creature, tempered only by little, insignificant, powerless, mortal, steel-spined Jane.

I adored the incremental shifts in Loki’s attitude towards Jane. First she was a fascination – how did she manage to change Thor? What was her secret ability? Then she was a potential tool for revenge – how better can he hurt his brother, after all? But somewhere along the way of conquest of Midgard the tide shifted. He ceased to want to kill her. Instead, he started to want her alive. Then he started to want her living comfortably, well fed and well dressed, even if against her will. And eventually, he started to want her simply by his side. That journey is very well portrayed through his kisses – they change their nature each time they happen, mimicking the shift in his emotions. He is somewhat confused - should he ask her to forget him or never to leave his side? But despite his confusion, he does everything in his power to alienate people from her to a point when he is the only one available for her to interact with, making her an outcast too. Is it cruel and selfish? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. Divide and conquer, as they say. He further amplifies his tactics by beguiling Jane with things he knows she’ll love and his ability to share that emotion with her, while also most helpfully pointing out Thor’s contrasting inability to do so. He’s one of a sneaky bastard, but surely not boring, we’ll give him that.

I am thrilled by the fact that the sequel to this story is already completed. As soon as this haphazard blabbering of mine is done, off I go to the Branches of Yggdrasil. Expect me popping up in the review section of that sometime soon.

Much Love.
GlowDust7501 chapter 32 . 7/9
This was such a fascinating story. Thank you for writing!
KarouReith01 chapter 1 . 7/8
Will forever love this fic! Everything about it is so coherent, so well planned and thought out! I’ve re-read it so many timesBravo
Girl of Blue Fire chapter 9 . 5/7
Ugh just re-reading bits of this again and reminding myself what an inspiration you are as an author. Just the philosophical discussions! Ugh so good! In character, vocab, description, tension, passion, fear. You are so talented and this was years ago. Thank again for this fantastic story! (Beyond Far Horizons on Tumblr)
On a second read through of this fic, Jane really comes across as ridiculous. Does she seriously think people will "be mad at her" because her abductor kissed her? Lol, what? She thinks that a bunch of highly trained intelligence agents and Tony Stark, a former prisoner himself on several different occasions, would distrust and hate her for that? Please.
I honestly hate Jane in this chapter. I don't think any normal person would act the way she's acting. She should know that her stubbornness and stupidity would definitely get someone killed- she doesn't even know how to use a gun. I would have loved to see Natasha beat her up here.
Pentastic chapter 32 . 10/8/2019
This story was wonderful. it was true to character and sad and redemptive all at once. I really appreciated that you saw have strength. I truly enjoyed reading it. Great job!
kmarieme chapter 32 . 7/27/2019
Bravo! It was a winding road, but I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns. Looking forward to the sequel as I’m very much rooting for Loki and Jane to be happy together.
LooksOnTempests chapter 32 . 7/13/2019
Really enjoyed your story from beginning to end. You're a wonderful writer.
LadyLynxMoon chapter 32 . 10/30/2018
I originally read this story quite some time ago and was easily wrapped up in it then. Somehow, I lost the link to it and it faded away - until I came across your oneshot the other day for a time period in between chapters of World Under Siege. That prompted me to start reading World, and remember how much I loved it - so I read it all over again and find myself chomping at the bit for the sequel.
I can only await the next installment with bated breath! More Lokane! 3
TheEdgeOfTheDeepGreenSea chapter 32 . 10/26/2018
Really excellent! Thank you!
Rival Argentica chapter 1 . 2/4/2018
So, I loved this story from the very beginning-the sure, fast-paced plot gripped me and assured me like, "Ooh, this is gunna be one hell of a ride.''

I loved you even more for including the X-Men.

And by the time you put in the Agents of SHIELD, I was friggin SOBBING at your knees.

A. May. ZING. Reading this had definitely been one Hel of a ride.

The crossovers always make for a pleasant surprise, Loki's 'un'predictableness puts me at the edge of my seat (but, I mean...who didn't see that coming? I kinda suspected from the beginning that Jane's amulet must've been magically bugged...I was like screaming, JANE! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A GENIUS! UGH!), Jane's narration is so deep and mesmerizing, and the both of them are just a spicy mix, what with their philosophical banters, their battle for dominance, that fickle romance hanging by the tenterhooks. I do think that Loki loving Jane is a bit sudden, though, and I hope more of his psyche's going to be explored in the sequel? I don't know. But still.

Is this the work of a human or some sort of a writing goddess? I joke. XD

Cuz seriously. Your Loki is THE most savage Loki I've ever read, a Loki I wish everyone could write as well as you do. But then if that's the case...your version wouldn't be as unique as it already is. So, excellently done. Definitely looking forward to reading the sequel as soon as time forbids!
kanyeet chapter 32 . 12/15/2017
Absolutely LOVE this story; you’re an amazing writer. I admire your ability to weave words together so elegantly and love your portrayal of the characters. The complexity of everything was enjoyable to read, and I honestly can’t wait to read the sequel!
Ambrosia19 chapter 31 . 12/3/2017
Thank you for a great story!

For the scientific-mumbo-jumbo, the complex relationship between Loki Thor and Jane without drifting into a romance, for staying true to the plot and finishing this story after two years.

I'm super excited for the epilogue as well as a sequel.I hope you have an especially good day!
xoxo