Reviews for Of Perfume, Liquor, and Baby Bottles
reppad98 chapter 45 . 5/9
And the last chapter of this story!
Although turned out that it wasn't more epilogue like I had thought but an alternative chapter, but it was still very interesting. It was kind of a jump from the happy and light stuff in the previous chapter to this, but it was still very much Hayffie and I hadn't really expected that in the beginning of the chapter. Effie was all alone and she seemed really out of it, and I really should have expected that Haymitch would come barging in like he did, but it still surprised me and it filled me with a really happy feeling XD Though I have to admit that I don't really remember what the original birth scene looked like, but this one was definitely emotional and very nicely written. And it definitely sounds painful...
Thank you for writing this last bit and finishing the story, I'll have a look at the sequel and keep writing! ! !
reppad98 chapter 44 . 5/9
Time for the epilogue... It's always sad when a good story is ending, but mostly it's just great that this story has a happy ending. It's awesome that you managed to finish this huge story and you can be proud of yourself!
Aww yeah, Olive grew up so fast (especially for us since it was just one click :P). She sounds so very sweet. And it seems that Haymitch and Effie's relationship has continued to stay strong :D
Yup, Olive definitely takes after Haymitch. Poor Effie, needing to handle two of those. But Haymitch's drinking would catch up with him... I really do hope that he'll manage to stop.
And here we have it! The 'I love you' and the marriage proposal, too! It was so very sweet! I really liked it. It was a wonderful ending to a wonderful story :)
Thank you for writing and finishing this story, I'll read the next chapter soon, and keep writing! ! !
reppad98 chapter 43 . 5/9
Time for another chapter! I've almost finished the story...
Oh, this was so wonderful. Still a bit heartbreaking, but mostly it was very happy and wonderful. Especially the ending! Effie and Haymitch coming face to face and finally, finally being able to put everything behind them, to start something new... I can just imagine the scene, the intense moments until Effie tells him he's late and Haymitch responds in the same manner. It was so very sweet and I have to agree with you that I got a little bit teary-eyed as well. Oh, and I really liked that Peeta made an appearance as well. The poor boy went through so much, but then again, everyone did, but each of their hells is a bit different and in another way horrible. And I also liked the small detail that Effie is finally able to worry about the little things again, instead if they will live for another day.
Thank you for updating, I'll go read the next chapter now, and keep writing! ! !
reppad98 chapter 42 . 5/8
And time to continue!
Finally Effie has let it all out. I was already wondering if there would still be some big breakdown at some point, because they all went through so much, and Effie was staying pretty calm (mostly because she was high from the medicine, perhaps). But now she has this - I'm not sure I can even call it a breakdown, because she has come out stronger and she seems less broken than before. Or at least on her way to healing.
Yeah, I expected that Effie would go home alone with Olive. Haymitch still has so much to take care of, and Olive needs to be out of there. It's still heartbreaking, though.
The goodbye scene was very well written. I wish they had told each other their feelings, but they sort of already know anyway. And it's not goodbye forever...
Thank you for updating, I'll read the next one soon, and keep writing! ! !
reppad98 chapter 41 . 5/8
Alright, time to read another chapter!
Oh, Coin is so horrible, in a different way than Snow, but still so very horrible. Maybe even so more so because for so long we've been thinking she's on the right side, but it was just a similarity of goals, she never wanted exactly the same thing as the rest. Poor Effie! And poor Katniss... At least Effie will be familiar to her, so hopefully that'll help.
At least Olive continues to be a bundle of joy in all this horribleness. The whole mess with Gale... that makes things even worse for Katniss...
Despite how horrible everything is, I really liked the scene with Katniss and Olive. It's all so sad!
And of course the dramatic death of Coin instead of Snow! At least I don't have to wait for the next chapter but I can just continue reading right away ;)
reppad98 chapter 40 . 5/7
And time to read another chapter!
Alright, like I thought, Effie survived that, and also thanks to Johanna it seems. I definitely liked the background story you gave her, it explains her friendship with and loyalty to Haymitch more clearly and it also makes me like her more. And it's also realistic that Effie didn't come out unscathed, though I'm curious to see how badly scarred she's going to be from this. Of course they do have some pretty advanced medical treatment, but still...
So, how Effie's arm is going to be is still up in the air, but at least she gets to keep her arm. And it's sad that Effie and Haymitch have to separate, but for Olive it's indeed better if she has a safe home. But poor Prim... It wasn't a complete surprise that she died, but it's still so sad...
Thank you very much for updating, I'll read the next chapter soon, and keep writing! ! !
reppad98 chapter 39 . 5/7
Alright, so it's been ages since I've read this story, and I've got no clue why I never finished it. I still remember things from this story pretty well so that means it's a good story, which makes it even stranger that I never finished reading this. No matter, I'll just fix that now :) And at least I won't have to wait for new chapters anymore XD
So we have a time skip and the war still rages on. It's indeed all very sad and dark, but I really liked the moment of peace with the three of them. And it seems that Haymitch is getting more in touch with his feelings, too XD
Oh no! Effie is with Prim when the explosion happens and all those medics, all those people who wanted to help are killed... I'm going to assume that Effie will live through it, but Prim... I don't want her to die!
guest chapter 3 . 2/24
Funny!
electric gurrl chapter 45 . 10/18/2016
I loved this story.
Syncchick chapter 44 . 7/4/2016
Very nice take on HG! I loved reading it from Effie's POV. And I felt you were true to the characters. Really, a great story!
JasmineRaven chapter 26 . 4/9/2016
Great chapter!

["You let a stalk of broccoli get the best of you? Cause that's what she looks like in that getup."] This had me laughing uncontrollably! My favourite Haymitch line of the chapter without a doubt.

[The voice is soft, hesitant, almost as if who ever is speaking is slightly fearful of my response.] [My lips switch, threatening a frown.] Something that was very evident in this chapter is your attention to detail, even small detail. You describe in detail things such as a person's voice, subtle movements, gestures and facial expressions. It makes it easier and more interesting to read and visualise the story when details and descriptions like that are provided. Great job!

[get at sooner or later."] I think 'at' should be 'out'

JasmineRaven chapter 25 . 4/7/2016
["Not alone," he says quietly, "I'll be right by your side."] Some lovely moments between Haymitch and Effie in this chapter. I thought this line was very sweet. And you manage to keep them in character excellently.

["That wig looks nice on you, Effie." Peeta is the first to break the awkward silence the air holds. "The gold really brings out your eyes."] Something I'm not sure if I've commented on before is your portrayal of Peeta. You capture is politeness and kindness perfectly, especially through your dialogue.

I didn't come across any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors, so well done for that.

Overall, a well written chapter. I really enjoyed reading this one.

JasmineRaven chapter 24 . 4/3/2016
[How embarrassing this is. How random when merely seconds before I was virtually fine. I must look horrid.] You always do a great job of expressing Effie's thoughts realistically in various situations. I think similar thoughts to these when I'm crying in front of people. With the Capitol people's obsessions with appearance, I can only imagine the embarrassment being more intense.

[Haymitch just holds me, saying nothing as he did before.] I thought the hug at the end was very sweet. Your chapters always seem to end on either a sweet moment or powerful one, which I love.

[the smirk present on his face causes the corners of my mouth to twitch into a frown] Capital letter for "The"

[Preside] President.

JasmineRaven chapter 23 . 4/2/2016
[A young pretty woman with long brown hair that's tied back into a bun, with arms wrapped around two boys who look no older than there teenage years. The youngest, I assume he is, has messy dark hair much like his mother's, he's smiling-no, beaming with happiness at whoever is holding the camera. It's not until my eyes fall on the eldest boy, his all too familiar dark curls, Seam gray eyes, and rather crooked grin, do I finally realize who I'm looking at.] I liked this detailed description you gave of the picture of Haymitch's family. You painted the picture with words excellently (except 'there' in the first sentence should be 'their').

["I had a family once," he says, "and I let them die. And maybe it's a second chance or fate's sick way of pulling one on me, but now I have a new family. Like my family before, it's because of me they are in danger. But this time, I'm changing the rules." My heart begins to pound as his eyes lock onto mine, "this time I don't plan to let them die."] This part. Wow. I honestly don't know what to say. We're heading into 'emotional, touching, deep and meaningful lines from conversations you'd find in movies' territory. Not only did I find this part incredibly touching and full of emotion, part it was also very well written. As I said, it felt like a scene from a movie. You definitely have a way with words when it comes to dialogue. This would have to be one of my favourite parts in the entire story so far. We see a totally different side of Haymitch, but at the same time he's very much in character. I don't know how you did it, but it worked, and I love it.

Well done! Keep up the brilliant writing!

JasmineRaven chapter 22 . 4/1/2016
I really like your characterisation of Posy. She was innocent and adorable with a lovable personality. You did well to give her the vocabulary and understanding of a young child ("I don't have a tail") and the attention span ("I was a few moments ago," she says peering up at me, "but now I want to do something else") which made her quite realistic.

["I like this wig a lot," she exclaims, "But..." and I watch as her travel over to Haymitch, "I want to see Mr. Abernathy wear it now!"] I loved the part with Haymitch and the wig. Such an excellent idea for adding humour to the chapter.

[It was not made known to me until recently that you and the District Twelve victor, Haymitch Abernathy, are expecting a child.] The letter at the end caught me by surprise. I can't believe President Snow found out about the baby and that Haymitch is the father! That's bound to cause worry. Great way to end the chapter.

Well done! Keep up the brilliant writing!

1,677 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »