Reviews for After the Ashes
q.thews chapter 14 . 4/5
One of the nicest trek stories i've ever read, thank you for sharing.
mariposa510 chapter 5 . 1/15
Wow. I wasn't going to review again until the end of the story, but...just wow. You had my full attention in that chapter, and you also made me tear up with the gravity of the blow that was dealt. Also, the ending thoughts running through Tom's head? Perfect. And haunting. Hauntingly perfect.
mariposa510 chapter 3 . 1/15
Hello again! Been a while, but I'm finally getting around to reading your fanfic again. I've just started this one, but damn if you didn't come up with an awesome storyline again! The description of the conflict with the binary star groups is intriguing, and you laid it all out in a logical way that wasn't boring in the slightest. I like the addition of Janeway, and I think it's interesting to see her and Tom's reactions to the power shift on Voyager. Plus, I can completely picture her saying and doing all of the things you've had her do so far - especially love the last bit in this chapter!

Also, the fencing metaphor was completely inspired, and the chapter headings (and explanations) so far have been exactly on point for how I've read each installment. Looking forward to reading more of this one!
son-of-heaven176 chapter 14 . 12/5/2013
This story was beautifully written. I will definitely be looking forward to reading more.
jamelia116 chapter 14 . 10/12/2013
"The new definition of compromise: get everything you want, give away nothing."

Well, they had to give away the "farm" in the end, or in this case, the Golden Goose planetoid.

Your stories always have such resonance. Loved the fencing references. Wonderful, as always.

jamelia
ancientmaverick chapter 14 . 2/3/2013
I really, really enjoyed this story, as I do pretty much everything you write. It took me longer than I intended to read it, but I'm glad I was able to take my time with it. I also enjoyed learning more about fencing. It fit well with the ebb and flow of the tale. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of Tom's dealings with Orion, though it sounds like he's in for a rough time of it. I hope you're doing well! -Jessica
beautyofsorrow chapter 14 . 9/2/2012
Ahhh, so glad I finally sat down to finish this. Loved the ending - chilling imagery and the promise of more to come - and of course I adored the scene with Miral. You know just how to reduce me to twin puddles of "awwww!"

Another smashing AF success. ;)
Anke chapter 14 . 8/26/2012
Ah, Talith war doch eine der großen Persönlichkeiten dieser Geschichte. Ich mochte die Szene zwischen ihr und Miral (dass du ein unheimliches Talent dafür, hast Kinder so zu porträtieren, dass sie realistisch und liebenswürdig rüberkommen, habe ich ja schon das ein oder andere Mal erwähnt ;-) ).
Ich mochte die Idee der Commission on Peace and Justice for Denaros and Talar (auf Risa!) – und da Talith von der USS Mandela abgeholt wird, ist es wohl kein Zufall, dass ich an die Truth and Reconciliation Commission denken musste, oder?
Sehr schön auch dieser Lichtstreif am Horizont, den du in den letzten Absätzen beschreibst. Trotzdem freue ich mich jetzt auf Deep in the Water bevor es beim letzten Teil der Orion-Trilogie vermutlich noch einmal so richtig düster wird. Ich bin geistig jedenfalls schon mal auf einen großen Showdown eingestellt…
laureiz chapter 14 . 8/12/2012
This isn't just for this chapter-rather, it's for the whole series to-date. I read it all this weekend, and I really enjoyed both the writing and the compelling stories. You fleshed out full arcs and gave these characters appropriate growth throughout. I occasionally follow stories that I like, but I very rarely follow authors-I think the one I just added for you is my first in years. Thank you very much for entertaining all of us, and I look forward to reading your writing in the future.
Juddysbuddy chapter 14 . 8/7/2012
This was such a wonderful story! The Admiral was wise
listen to Tom's opinion about making sure the truth
gets out to everyone on both sides. They certainly can't
depend on the politicians to do it on their own. The
scene with Talith and Miral was very touching. Love that
kid! It seems that Tom isn't the only one the Orions
are out to get - the Admiral was mentioned also. So
looking forward to your next Story! Thank you so much!
Runawaymetaphor chapter 14 . 8/7/2012
"Along the coast they found that the endless sea of grey was pierced by blades of grass, with a promise of wild flowers by summer's end."

Know that I sobbed, genuinely sobbed, the first time I finished the epilogue. I'm now on my fifth read and still tearing up as I typed that quote. Which is rather unfortunate, as none of my make-up is waterproof today.

I expect reparations in the form of expensive wine. Well, good wine and more writing like this, which makes me so very grateful to be your reader, and a little more at peace with being amidst the human race; the first part is a cherished gift, the second a rare balm.
waffenmac chapter 14 . 8/7/2012
uh oh sounds like the orions are pissed lets hope Tom Paris is indeed up for any and all,
snow6835 chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
Ahh that was an amazing finish to an amazing story. I'm glad Tom brought up the idea of a public trial and reconciliation to better facilitate peace efforts. Reminded me of the real life reconciliation trials that occurred after the Rwandan genocide where by the end of it all there were no innocents but all had to work together to move forward. The part where Tom brought along Miral to say goodbye to Talith was both moving and absolutely hilarious. She truly is Tom's little girl. Great epilogue too! I see the opening for the next story!
annabelle49 chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
Another great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
tayababy chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
The Miral scene was so sweet, and just what everyone needed; the innocence of a child can remind just about anyone of doing the right thing, for everyone involved.

the epilogue, however, as me epically intrigued for the next installment; I assume Captain Paris will be facing another death threat, and we're going to see the Orion Syndicate in trouble... again

Thanks for the journey, it's been an interesting one :)