Reviews for After the Ashes
T chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
Love these stories. An intelligent Tom and a complex storyline. I'm hooked. So looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing your talent.
CrlkSeasons chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
No fair! I was going to do some other work when this chapter popped up. Your story first, though. One must have priorities.

I'll leave any comment about plot development to others. The plot is well on its way in your capable hands. It's the small touches, the fine brushstrokes that I appreciated today.

-The subtle reference to the fact that the Admiralty has a very good reason to want to keep Tom "out of harm's way."

-The reappearance of Van Gogh, this time in the replica of his painting on the wall of Tom's ready room.

-The underlying honesty in the Paris/Janeway relationship represented by the list of exchanges that you quoted in this chapter.

-The reminder that it requires patience, strength of will and the willingness to take small steps to achieve peace.

-The bleak truth that fights between relatives and close neighbors are the most vicious and personal.

-The simple truths that fresh air and green spaces clear the mind and reinvigorate the spirit, and that the most beautiful roses have thorns.

I wonder what truths Tom and the others will find if they follow Boothby's advice that "the truth is as good a place to start as any".
angelscatie chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
Great chapter. I can't wait to see where you are going. Keep up the good work.
beautyofsorrow chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Oh, hooray! Something new from a FFN author who knows how to *write*! And of course, your first chapter didn't disappoint. From Picard's in-depth tutorial on fencing to a reference to my favorite prune-juice-loving Klingon to many a tender moment of P/T, I just ate it up. And we mustn't forget Miral in all of this. Precious. I loved how Tom & B'Elanna's conversation jumped between parenting and working as easily as a squirrel goes from one tree branch to the other. It was a lovely glimpse at the Paris family life we never got to see on the show.

Some favorite lines:

"He gave the man his most charming, disarming grin." (Because I could see those lips curling and cheeks deepening...)

"Both men took deep draughts in companionable silence." (Again, the visual is instant.)

"And Harry I-so-desperately-want-my-best-friends-to-be-an-item Kim should have kept his speculations to himself. If I sounded worried that time – and that's a Very Big If, hotshot - it was because I couldn't face the idea of losing yet another engineering team to eight weeks' worth of shuttle replacement detail. Plus, I really wanted that plasma." (Recently watched this episode and loved it - though the name escapes me... was it Real Life?... and I jumped all over those B'Elanna-on-the-bridge scenes. It's on my fics-to-flesh-out list.)

And lastly... Picard said "incorrigible." And I heard his voice. Saw his expression. It made my day. Wow. Looking forward to more!
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Well, truth be told, diplomacy isn't tedious at all. If you're in the sweet spot, behind the microphone, at the right reception or in that back room, out of sight, it's more like a baseball game, in which two minutes of brilliant action and definitive outcomes crystallize suddenly out of hours of apparently routine posturing. In the right hands, you get a diamond... But it definitely exercises different muscles than those used by Captain Proton, and there's a definite learning curve involved - so who knows whether our favourite pilot will ever truly come to appreciate it? :-)
Runawaymetaphor chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
" And that, as they said, was that. It was clear that Picard was not prepared to divulge anything more, and Tom had to make do with the consolation prize: an extra-long, extra-hot water shower, followed by transport back to Voyager and a vociferous complaint to his wife.

"So from the looks of it, Voyager will be asked to perform a shuttle service for some Federation Bigwig, to this backwater binary system full of hostile locals. So we can hang aimlessly in space while the Bigwig goes planetside and tries to make peace, where everyone else has failed for the last twenty years," he groused while changing back into his uniform.

"And with my luck, they'll make me come along and stand in a corner, for that reassuring and impressive uniformed presence."

B'Elanna snorted. "Poor Baby. Make sure you polish those pips. But what makes you think that's all it'll be?" "

...

I refuse to believe that diplomacy is really this tedious.

People brought to a mission, despite that they have no function over and above the sheen on their pips? Endless waiting for Unnamed-Stuffed-Shirt-Big-Shot?

... Nah. Couldn't be. :-)
angelscatie chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
Great beginning! I can not wait to read more! Update soon and keep up the good work.
point-blank47 chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
So, in addition to everything else, you turn out to be an expert on fencing? Well, well.

Coincidentally, I was watching "Jetrel" only a few hours ago, so the Metreon Cascade is painfully vivid in my memory. Shall be very interested to see where you're going with this one: after "Off the Shoulder of Orion", who knows what you're going to come up with?

Right, it's nearly 1 am, so I'm off to bed. More later, no doubt.
Kurbits chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
Good set up of this story! Looking forward to the next chapter!
Nana Evans chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
First: Yay! New Big One!

Now with the story: Bet Tom will hate this mission, and anyone who'd been in the Maquis or the DQ for that matters, they've seen enough war to last a couple lifetimes. But, well, someone has to go, right? And in this kind of misson Tom will have thousands of oportunities to get into trouble, so I wonder what you have in store for him this time...

So, see you in the next one!

ps: Always glad to see you writing again! and Happy Easter! Don't know the traditions where you are, but here we drown on chocolate, so I hope you get lots of it too.
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
I see that Tom does have a talent for leading an opponent into committing him or herself to action. That is probably what Picard (and maybe another) perceives in him and is trying to cultivate with the physical analogy of fencing.

The scenes of family life provided a much appreciated and probably much needed counter balance to the realities of war, for now only viewed on the computer screen.

Finally, I liked the 'waddle of an injured puddle duck' (the term, not the idea of an injured duck) and, not to contradict B'Elanna, but 'subspace thingy' has the potential to be a valuable addition to my scientific vocabulary.
jn2116 chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
Yay! New story, I had been waiting since I finished reading Off the Shoulder Of Orion, Great start to the story, can't wait to read more..
antra chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
Yes, you are reading this right, I'm still alive and ticking.

RL kept getting in the way but new Reviews are to be written...

And now to the story:

Picard and Tom fencing: I like the idea that Picard keeps his eyes on him. Sure, Janeway does it (he is her pet project after all) but Picard should be interested in him through the Kirk center, through Paris interesting history and career and through his former position as 2IC of Will Riker (Picard's pet project).

It's interesting that Tom has the same type of fencing Style as Worf considering them having a completely different temper and built but perhaps it's not that surprising that he get's compared to a klingon, Tom has leanings in that area.

But at the same time Tom tricked Picard into telling something he shouldn't - sneaky.

Then we come to the curious relationship between Paris and Nechayev.

I think in her way she does like him. She respects that he does what he thinks is wright even if that is bad for him, he doesn't make excuses for it and tells her directly what he thinks. I can't imagine there being a lot of people who would do that in her company, most people in Starfleet find her downright frightening. The fact that he is a "home-made homunculus of unorthodoxy" just adds to it. Like a scientist watching over an interesting rare species

Family byplay is always nice and we see that B'Elanna can still distract her husband when he needs it.

I'm looking forward to Tom hearing which diplomat he get's since it is pretty clear who will come... ;)
snow6835 chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
Wow, what a way to start a new fic! Loved getting to see Tom interact with Picard a bit while finding out clues to Voyager's next mission. The conflict they're going to definitely evokes images of utter destruction and a brutality sadly so often seen around the world today, be they high profile conflicts or horrors that escape the media's limelight. Looking forward to more and another one of your masterpieces.
tayababy chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
I am very, very excited. And I gather from the character line-up that our very own Kathryn will be the Big Wig sent along on Voyager to get herself into trouble yet again. I can't wait for more!
165 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11