Reviews for After the Ashes
angelscatie chapter 3 . 4/21/2012
Great chapter. Somehow, I don't think this is going to go as smoothly as Starfleet and Admiral Janeway hopes. Keep up the good work.
Runawaymetaphor chapter 2 . 4/19/2012
"But what they've lacked in attack speed, they made up for in thoroughness. Luckily, both sides have grown weary; their resources are running low, and for the first time in almost three decades the interest in peace seems to outweigh the willingness to keep fighting."

I'll forgo comment on the universality (no pun intended) of the narration that precedes this, as we're all familiar with the consequences of armed conflict, in all of their unfortunate forms. But I will, reluctantly, stoop to quoting the Rules of Acquisition.

'Rule 76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies'...
Nana Evans chapter 2 . 4/17/2012
I wonder how many times Janeway will forget she's no longer the captain... not that they'll have much time to worry about that little problem where they're going... to try to make peace with bickering neighbors is one of the most difficult things in the world. Good luck with that.

Guess Tom will have to put that tatical training to good use. Something tells me that guarding Fort Knox won't be that easy.

Waiting for the next one!
tayababy chapter 2 . 4/16/2012
I am So sorry it's taken me three days to read this... And I'm even more sorry now that I've read it and it's totally amazing! I loved the conversation with boothby, and his advice about the truth will be hanging in my mind for a while. And we all knew it would be Kathryn joining them, though toms observations about fort Knox were totally on the nose. I can't wait to see where this is going, an I promise I wont wait so damn long next time!

Xx em
Juddysbuddy chapter 2 . 4/15/2012
Loved Tom's meeting with Boothby and his speculations about how Boothby knew so much! Also, the conversations between Tom and Harry are really great! In fact, I love all the thinking Tom is doing during all his conversations.
snow6835 chapter 2 . 4/15/2012
Loved it! Tom and Harry as Captain and 1st Officer is such a hilarious and awesome combo. Of course the Admiral now will have to get used to Voyager no longer being her ship, imagine this could play a little into the story later maybe? Can't wait for the next chapter!
beautyofsorrow chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
Janeway's return to Voyager is just another reminder that I'll never see this Delta Quadrant family truly happy "back home," scattered to the four ends of the quadrant and turning to someone to say, "Remember when...?" - only to find out... that someone wasn't on Voyager.

All that to say, well done, and of course I'm anticipating more.
T chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
Love these stories. An intelligent Tom and a complex storyline. I'm hooked. So looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing your talent.
CrlkSeasons chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
No fair! I was going to do some other work when this chapter popped up. Your story first, though. One must have priorities.

I'll leave any comment about plot development to others. The plot is well on its way in your capable hands. It's the small touches, the fine brushstrokes that I appreciated today.

-The subtle reference to the fact that the Admiralty has a very good reason to want to keep Tom "out of harm's way."

-The reappearance of Van Gogh, this time in the replica of his painting on the wall of Tom's ready room.

-The underlying honesty in the Paris/Janeway relationship represented by the list of exchanges that you quoted in this chapter.

-The reminder that it requires patience, strength of will and the willingness to take small steps to achieve peace.

-The bleak truth that fights between relatives and close neighbors are the most vicious and personal.

-The simple truths that fresh air and green spaces clear the mind and reinvigorate the spirit, and that the most beautiful roses have thorns.

I wonder what truths Tom and the others will find if they follow Boothby's advice that "the truth is as good a place to start as any".
angelscatie chapter 2 . 4/14/2012
Great chapter. I can't wait to see where you are going. Keep up the good work.
beautyofsorrow chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Oh, hooray! Something new from a FFN author who knows how to *write*! And of course, your first chapter didn't disappoint. From Picard's in-depth tutorial on fencing to a reference to my favorite prune-juice-loving Klingon to many a tender moment of P/T, I just ate it up. And we mustn't forget Miral in all of this. Precious. I loved how Tom & B'Elanna's conversation jumped between parenting and working as easily as a squirrel goes from one tree branch to the other. It was a lovely glimpse at the Paris family life we never got to see on the show.

Some favorite lines:

"He gave the man his most charming, disarming grin." (Because I could see those lips curling and cheeks deepening...)

"Both men took deep draughts in companionable silence." (Again, the visual is instant.)

"And Harry I-so-desperately-want-my-best-friends-to-be-an-item Kim should have kept his speculations to himself. If I sounded worried that time – and that's a Very Big If, hotshot - it was because I couldn't face the idea of losing yet another engineering team to eight weeks' worth of shuttle replacement detail. Plus, I really wanted that plasma." (Recently watched this episode and loved it - though the name escapes me... was it Real Life?... and I jumped all over those B'Elanna-on-the-bridge scenes. It's on my fics-to-flesh-out list.)

And lastly... Picard said "incorrigible." And I heard his voice. Saw his expression. It made my day. Wow. Looking forward to more!
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Well, truth be told, diplomacy isn't tedious at all. If you're in the sweet spot, behind the microphone, at the right reception or in that back room, out of sight, it's more like a baseball game, in which two minutes of brilliant action and definitive outcomes crystallize suddenly out of hours of apparently routine posturing. In the right hands, you get a diamond... But it definitely exercises different muscles than those used by Captain Proton, and there's a definite learning curve involved - so who knows whether our favourite pilot will ever truly come to appreciate it? :-)
Runawaymetaphor chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
" And that, as they said, was that. It was clear that Picard was not prepared to divulge anything more, and Tom had to make do with the consolation prize: an extra-long, extra-hot water shower, followed by transport back to Voyager and a vociferous complaint to his wife.

"So from the looks of it, Voyager will be asked to perform a shuttle service for some Federation Bigwig, to this backwater binary system full of hostile locals. So we can hang aimlessly in space while the Bigwig goes planetside and tries to make peace, where everyone else has failed for the last twenty years," he groused while changing back into his uniform.

"And with my luck, they'll make me come along and stand in a corner, for that reassuring and impressive uniformed presence."

B'Elanna snorted. "Poor Baby. Make sure you polish those pips. But what makes you think that's all it'll be?" "

...

I refuse to believe that diplomacy is really this tedious.

People brought to a mission, despite that they have no function over and above the sheen on their pips? Endless waiting for Unnamed-Stuffed-Shirt-Big-Shot?

... Nah. Couldn't be. :-)
angelscatie chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
Great beginning! I can not wait to read more! Update soon and keep up the good work.
point-blank47 chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
So, in addition to everything else, you turn out to be an expert on fencing? Well, well.

Coincidentally, I was watching "Jetrel" only a few hours ago, so the Metreon Cascade is painfully vivid in my memory. Shall be very interested to see where you're going with this one: after "Off the Shoulder of Orion", who knows what you're going to come up with?

Right, it's nearly 1 am, so I'm off to bed. More later, no doubt.
172 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 Next »