Reviews for After the Ashes
tayababy chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
The Miral scene was so sweet, and just what everyone needed; the innocence of a child can remind just about anyone of doing the right thing, for everyone involved.

the epilogue, however, as me epically intrigued for the next installment; I assume Captain Paris will be facing another death threat, and we're going to see the Orion Syndicate in trouble... again

Thanks for the journey, it's been an interesting one :)
winjan chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
I think my opinion of Janeway came to a low point from this story, seems to me she could only look at what in front of her, never really thought about long term, seems more self centered than before. On the other hand, my opinion of Talith improved vastly through the story. Love the way Tom dealt with all these issues, maybe starfleet should send him more to handle tricky diplomat issues
CrlkSeasons chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
"They count their little victories like hits in a fencing match, parrying and reposting, feinting and disengaging, instead of measuring what they're doing in lives and futures lost." - is a satisfying way to tie back into your story and chapter themes. But i agree with what you have Tom say, "Games should be for fun ... not how you decided matters of life and death. And hypocrisy refined to an art form was something best left to the pros."

I enjoyed your peeks into Tom's personal life. In his youth - "he had listened to them all - precisely because he had been told to make himself scarce," and as Captain - "he gave his response to the ceiling ... where he'd always told Miral the computer's invisible ears were located." And Kathryn's too - " of course. Normal people - people who consumed solid food instead of quantities of caffeine, in defiance of their physician's express and repeated advice ..."

"Saurian brandy" - seems to be a good choice again.
"Or had it been to spare herself ... unnecessary complications, in case he had something to say that was substantive as it was inconvenient ... because you can't unite a front until you know where the lines are." Thank you again for not taking the easy way out. People say they want peace, but peace can have many meanings, including the silence of death on a battlefield. Peace with justice requires more of us.
"I will speak for the children." - every time a child is born we are being given another chance to get it right.

Thoroughly satisfying - on so many levels.
TheNaggingCube chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
See I knew the Syndicate would not Tom alone for long.

What a fantastic ending (and beginning). The transporter and Miral scene so powerful in its simplicity that really wasn't all that simple.

I look eagerly forward to your next adventure for Tom.
antra chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
An interesting ending, both in terms for the end of the war and in knowing that Tom now has the orion syndicate against him personally.
I had to grin at that: USS Spock and USS Mandela
angelscatie chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
Great ending to an awesome story. I'm glad that Tom was able to convince Janeway that having trials about what occurred during the course of the war. I can't wait to see what your next story is. Keep up the good work.
BonesBird chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
*cries* I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER BUT IT'S SO PERFECT.

I love the little scene between Talith, Tom and Miral. She's so adorable and you can make anything cute by including Miral. Wonderful story, you already know how much I love this, I tell you often enough!
tayababy chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Well, that was one mother of a chapter, and a lot to digest. If I recall:

1: The Admiral has just bartered peace between Denaros and Talar
2: The Captain managed to kick the Ferengi off Midas, but made the hole he's in with the Syndicate significantly deeper
3: The Captain has managed to piss off the Admiral. Again. By opening his mouth and almost spoiling the negotiations.

Am I right? Did I miss anything... like Tom's mission...?
TheNaggingCube chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Oh no, what did Tom object to that Kathryn refused him? I've forgotten something. Talith has not... oh dear.

HEHEHEH well played with the Ferengi. What's another bad guy wanting you dead, Tom?
CrlkSeasons chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
The mention of Vulcan and the asteroid is a clever nod to the alternate Star Trek universe as well as the classic universe where Vulcan survived intact.

"Am I free to go?" - how painfully ironic.

"So, how'd I do? Do I have a future as a diplomat? I hope not." - I knew that Tom's talents would make him a natural for dealing with the Ferengi!
The dialogue between Tom and Kathryn about the Ferengi and then Tom's interaction with Daimon Kol were very well done. It is far too easy to treat the Ferengi as stereotypical, cardboard figures of no real significance. I think you brought in the complexity of their society as well as the serious impact of their involvement here.

"Tom considered himself a 'big picture' guy, one who, once he'd thrown an interesting idea on the table, liked to step back and leave the details to others." I'm not sure that I entirely agree with Tom's self-assessment. This is a guy who programmed a wad of chewing gum onto a holographic movie theater floor in order to maintain authenticity, - although he was rather cavalier about the micro-fracture problem on the new Delta Flyer.
I think his degree of interest has more to do with the nature of the details that are left to be dealt with. "But, Admiral. What about ..." - there are certainly some leftover 'details' that concern Tom at the conclusion of the diplomatic meeting.
BonesBird chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Hehe I watched the fencing earlier.
I was also cursing you in town. got the email to my phone about you updating and went "NOW THAT'S NOT FAIR I'M NOT HOME TO READ IT" and was grumpy until we got home!

Fabulous chapter as always. I love the self-control that Tom and Talith both have in this chapter. It's impressive. I also loved the "geniuses" bit. Made me laugh!

Well done as ever babe!
angelscatie chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Great chapter. I can't wait to see what comes next.
antra chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Interesting.
At the moment I'm mostly concerned about the reaction of the Orions.
As you already stated, this is the second time Tom disturbed them. That means not only danger to Tom but B'Elanna and Miral as well
Runawaymetaphor chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
"He could tell that Talith wanted to speak, knew that she must - but there had been too many betrayals already and she would not readily add her own to the ones committed against her. She would need to be told that her oath no longer bound her, or else, be given a reason to break it."

A crushing image of a tired soldier, one whom solace may never find. I can't help but put it beside the image of yet another, seemingly so long ago, if always present in my mind's eye:

"And in a simple but elegantly furnished study on a leafy estate in California, a retired admiral, holding hands with his wife, felt a burden lift from his shoulders - one he had carried for many years."

May peace find more of those who work for the greater public good. And may those who would see beyond ideological agenda, election cycles, and crude self-interest finally be rewarded with respite- somewhere warm, and always green.
ChiseChitose chapter 12 . 7/18/2012
This chapter reminds me of the Monean incident. I don't know if that was your intention or just my mind drawing its own conclusions. The situations are vastly different, yet similar. On Monea, the inhabitants were destroying a natural phenomenon with their technology for their own benefit. Here, The Denarian and Talari are facing a devastating natural phenomenon and are willing to use the technology of others for their benefit. Granted, without help both planets would face destruction.

It's interesting how one planet was being destroyed by technology and another needs technology to save it, yet in both situations, politicians are willing to sacrifice lives in order to remain in power. It's ironic to see how in both cases, neither party is willing to let nature take its own course; not because of the effect that it would have on their planets or even the welfare of their people, but because of the selfish lust for power.
164 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »