Reviews for After the Ashes
beautyofsorrow chapter 14 . 9/2/2012
Ahhh, so glad I finally sat down to finish this. Loved the ending - chilling imagery and the promise of more to come - and of course I adored the scene with Miral. You know just how to reduce me to twin puddles of "awwww!"

Another smashing AF success. ;)
Anke chapter 14 . 8/26/2012
Ah, Talith war doch eine der großen Persönlichkeiten dieser Geschichte. Ich mochte die Szene zwischen ihr und Miral (dass du ein unheimliches Talent dafür, hast Kinder so zu porträtieren, dass sie realistisch und liebenswürdig rüberkommen, habe ich ja schon das ein oder andere Mal erwähnt ;-) ).
Ich mochte die Idee der Commission on Peace and Justice for Denaros and Talar (auf Risa!) – und da Talith von der USS Mandela abgeholt wird, ist es wohl kein Zufall, dass ich an die Truth and Reconciliation Commission denken musste, oder?
Sehr schön auch dieser Lichtstreif am Horizont, den du in den letzten Absätzen beschreibst. Trotzdem freue ich mich jetzt auf Deep in the Water bevor es beim letzten Teil der Orion-Trilogie vermutlich noch einmal so richtig düster wird. Ich bin geistig jedenfalls schon mal auf einen großen Showdown eingestellt…
laureiz chapter 14 . 8/12/2012
This isn't just for this chapter-rather, it's for the whole series to-date. I read it all this weekend, and I really enjoyed both the writing and the compelling stories. You fleshed out full arcs and gave these characters appropriate growth throughout. I occasionally follow stories that I like, but I very rarely follow authors-I think the one I just added for you is my first in years. Thank you very much for entertaining all of us, and I look forward to reading your writing in the future.
Juddysbuddy chapter 14 . 8/7/2012
This was such a wonderful story! The Admiral was wise
listen to Tom's opinion about making sure the truth
gets out to everyone on both sides. They certainly can't
depend on the politicians to do it on their own. The
scene with Talith and Miral was very touching. Love that
kid! It seems that Tom isn't the only one the Orions
are out to get - the Admiral was mentioned also. So
looking forward to your next Story! Thank you so much!
Runawaymetaphor chapter 14 . 8/7/2012
"Along the coast they found that the endless sea of grey was pierced by blades of grass, with a promise of wild flowers by summer's end."

Know that I sobbed, genuinely sobbed, the first time I finished the epilogue. I'm now on my fifth read and still tearing up as I typed that quote. Which is rather unfortunate, as none of my make-up is waterproof today.

I expect reparations in the form of expensive wine. Well, good wine and more writing like this, which makes me so very grateful to be your reader, and a little more at peace with being amidst the human race; the first part is a cherished gift, the second a rare balm.
waffenmac chapter 14 . 8/7/2012
uh oh sounds like the orions are pissed lets hope Tom Paris is indeed up for any and all,
snow6835 chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
Ahh that was an amazing finish to an amazing story. I'm glad Tom brought up the idea of a public trial and reconciliation to better facilitate peace efforts. Reminded me of the real life reconciliation trials that occurred after the Rwandan genocide where by the end of it all there were no innocents but all had to work together to move forward. The part where Tom brought along Miral to say goodbye to Talith was both moving and absolutely hilarious. She truly is Tom's little girl. Great epilogue too! I see the opening for the next story!
annabelle49 chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
Another great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
tayababy chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
The Miral scene was so sweet, and just what everyone needed; the innocence of a child can remind just about anyone of doing the right thing, for everyone involved.

the epilogue, however, as me epically intrigued for the next installment; I assume Captain Paris will be facing another death threat, and we're going to see the Orion Syndicate in trouble... again

Thanks for the journey, it's been an interesting one :)
winjan chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
I think my opinion of Janeway came to a low point from this story, seems to me she could only look at what in front of her, never really thought about long term, seems more self centered than before. On the other hand, my opinion of Talith improved vastly through the story. Love the way Tom dealt with all these issues, maybe starfleet should send him more to handle tricky diplomat issues
CrlkSeasons chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
"They count their little victories like hits in a fencing match, parrying and reposting, feinting and disengaging, instead of measuring what they're doing in lives and futures lost." - is a satisfying way to tie back into your story and chapter themes. But i agree with what you have Tom say, "Games should be for fun ... not how you decided matters of life and death. And hypocrisy refined to an art form was something best left to the pros."

I enjoyed your peeks into Tom's personal life. In his youth - "he had listened to them all - precisely because he had been told to make himself scarce," and as Captain - "he gave his response to the ceiling ... where he'd always told Miral the computer's invisible ears were located." And Kathryn's too - " of course. Normal people - people who consumed solid food instead of quantities of caffeine, in defiance of their physician's express and repeated advice ..."

"Saurian brandy" - seems to be a good choice again.
"Or had it been to spare herself ... unnecessary complications, in case he had something to say that was substantive as it was inconvenient ... because you can't unite a front until you know where the lines are." Thank you again for not taking the easy way out. People say they want peace, but peace can have many meanings, including the silence of death on a battlefield. Peace with justice requires more of us.
"I will speak for the children." - every time a child is born we are being given another chance to get it right.

Thoroughly satisfying - on so many levels.
TheNaggingCube chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
See I knew the Syndicate would not Tom alone for long.

What a fantastic ending (and beginning). The transporter and Miral scene so powerful in its simplicity that really wasn't all that simple.

I look eagerly forward to your next adventure for Tom.
antra chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
An interesting ending, both in terms for the end of the war and in knowing that Tom now has the orion syndicate against him personally.
I had to grin at that: USS Spock and USS Mandela
angelscatie chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
Great ending to an awesome story. I'm glad that Tom was able to convince Janeway that having trials about what occurred during the course of the war. I can't wait to see what your next story is. Keep up the good work.
MeredithBrody chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
*cries* I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER BUT IT'S SO PERFECT.

I love the little scene between Talith, Tom and Miral. She's so adorable and you can make anything cute by including Miral. Wonderful story, you already know how much I love this, I tell you often enough!
172 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »