Reviews for After the Ashes
Guest chapter 12 . 7/17/2012
That, my dear, was one hell of a chapter. My mind is still reeling from it. I love how responsible Tom is now, and how cheeky yet smart Harry is as his First Officer. And Janeway. Still love her :)

But yeah, wow.
winjan chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Good for Harry to have something to shoot at. The confession made my head spin
CrlkSeasons chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
"Ensign no more, Harry."
Well done, Harry! But poor Harry may never advance far enough in Starfleet to ever escape from one of his mother's well-meaning letters to his commanding officer. This was a welcome bit of lightness.

But, as your plot unfolds, you have the courage to face the dirt that is revealed under the rug.
"Loyalty, it turned out, was a fickle mistress ..."
"No, the promise had been given for the most simple thing of all: a cut of the profits."
Self-interest makes such sordid, shortsighted souls, doesn't it? It makes you want to find the nearest shower just to get clean again.

"The sad and quiet girl who temporarily shared his daughter's room demanded no less."
"Will somebody just tell me why?"
Sadly, that is always the question we are left with, and there may be more sacrifices to be made before all of this can end.
TheNaggingCube chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
YES! Oh this is so good. Love love love the build from Talith. Wow that was amazingly painful and heart rending. A begrudging respect and tolerance from Tom for her.

Lovely.
waffenmac chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Great chapter glad you updated
W
Guest chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
There it is, the universal tendency to ignore science that doesn't fit your own world view.
At the moment I feel with Talith, because her using this weapon was nothing more than a calculated move while she believed she was doing the right thing.
I think the overall problem are the politicians, and I'm not even talking about the ones that just padded their creditlines.
The good thing is that now they are forced to work together. Millions of people had to die for it but at least the greater problem is clear
Guest chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Ooooooooooh Wow. I didn't see this coming. Fantastic as always honey.
Haha I think the Olympics have given themselves a Black Card. The organisation sucks and right now... it looks like the Olympics vomited all over my town. I'm 400 miles from London.
angelscatie chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Great chapter like usual. At least one of the warring planets realized they needed Starfleets help. Can't wait to see what us coming next.
Runawaymetaphor chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
"And as the final part of his calculations, Naldar had counted on the Federation to make happen for him what direct efforts had failed to achieve - all without once tipping his hand to anyone except, Kathryn suspected, a very small number of his inner circle. In the meantime, Karon for his part was guilty of deliberate, willful blindness – allowing the habit of war to obscure a vision of a future in which both worlds were doomed, and refusing early peace overtures that might have saved a third of his people in the short term, and all of them in the long.

What was it with politicians …?"

Babe, that is the most crushing thing you've ever written. For reasons of truth I have not the space to go into here. But on a lighter note? The scene below is now on top ten list of Fun S- Alpha Wrote...

""Free for all," he muttered to himself barely concealing an eager grin. Lieutenant Commander Harry Kim, First Officer of the USS Voyager, in his first solo fire fight. Good thing his mother wasn't aware of what he was doing – she would doubtless send Tom Paris a nasty comm."

You've come along way, Harry Kim.
Runawaymetaphor chapter 11 . 7/12/2012
"Nacheyev was right: the man was a natural diplomat. Who was it that had said, 'a diplomat is one who can cut his neighbour's throat without having his neighbour noticing'? Kathryn braced herself as Tom engaged."

I assume you know all the jokes I would like to make about both this and your fondness of for that particular Lie quote. So. . . Fill them in here.

:-)
waffenmac chapter 11 . 7/9/2012
damn a cliffhanger great chapter too
snow6835 chapter 11 . 7/8/2012
Real life has impeded on my ability to delve too deeply into thinking what the game changer could be. So I shall eagerly await what the next chapter brings in explaining the many layers being built. Great job as always and love love love that Tom's way of thinking is rubbing off on others under his command!
beautyofsorrow chapter 11 . 7/5/2012
"Tom's eyes flew up, then narrowed before he shook his head again, this time in silent admiration. He should have known there'd be a price to pay for wringing a concession out of the admiral … Much later, he would tell his wife in the privacy of their quarters: And just like that, Bee, she remembered – she's still the Queen."

These sentences... they remind me why I find myself teetering between admiration and disgust when it comes to Janeway, and why I so often fall to the disgust side. She really needs to meet her match and fall a couple notches. One of these days.

(Dax holds up trash can lid to shield any oncoming missiles.)

ANYWAY. Great chapter! Seeing as I'm politically incompetent and terrible at following plots, I'm looking forward to the reveal!
CrlkSeasons chapter 11 . 7/5/2012
"His ship. Her mission ... Command. Control ,,, What would Janeway do? No. Harry knew the answer to that. What would Tom do? A slow, devious smile spread on Harry's face." I am thoroughly enjoying watching Tom find his footing as Captain.
"A wonderful thing, greed. Gets you every time ... Follow the money." A glimmer appears in the distance. I leave plot developments in your very capable hands. I would only like to suggest, with my tongue somewhere in my cheek, that since successful diplomats and used shuttlecraft salesmen appear to be cut from the same cloth, the fact that Tom knows so much about every kind of shuttlecraft and would make an excellent used shuttlecraft salesman might make him a prime candidate for appointment to future negotiations with the Ferengi.
TheNaggingCube chapter 11 . 7/5/2012
Oh my what an interesting turn of events and persons appearing.

Please hurry with the next chapter, I am very interested in what happens next.
164 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »