Reviews for After the Ashes
tayababy chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Well, that was one mother of a chapter, and a lot to digest. If I recall:

1: The Admiral has just bartered peace between Denaros and Talar
2: The Captain managed to kick the Ferengi off Midas, but made the hole he's in with the Syndicate significantly deeper
3: The Captain has managed to piss off the Admiral. Again. By opening his mouth and almost spoiling the negotiations.

Am I right? Did I miss anything... like Tom's mission...?
TheNaggingCube chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Oh no, what did Tom object to that Kathryn refused him? I've forgotten something. Talith has not... oh dear.

HEHEHEH well played with the Ferengi. What's another bad guy wanting you dead, Tom?
CrlkSeasons chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
The mention of Vulcan and the asteroid is a clever nod to the alternate Star Trek universe as well as the classic universe where Vulcan survived intact.

"Am I free to go?" - how painfully ironic.

"So, how'd I do? Do I have a future as a diplomat? I hope not." - I knew that Tom's talents would make him a natural for dealing with the Ferengi!
The dialogue between Tom and Kathryn about the Ferengi and then Tom's interaction with Daimon Kol were very well done. It is far too easy to treat the Ferengi as stereotypical, cardboard figures of no real significance. I think you brought in the complexity of their society as well as the serious impact of their involvement here.

"Tom considered himself a 'big picture' guy, one who, once he'd thrown an interesting idea on the table, liked to step back and leave the details to others." I'm not sure that I entirely agree with Tom's self-assessment. This is a guy who programmed a wad of chewing gum onto a holographic movie theater floor in order to maintain authenticity, - although he was rather cavalier about the micro-fracture problem on the new Delta Flyer.
I think his degree of interest has more to do with the nature of the details that are left to be dealt with. "But, Admiral. What about ..." - there are certainly some leftover 'details' that concern Tom at the conclusion of the diplomatic meeting.
MeredithBrody chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Hehe I watched the fencing earlier.
I was also cursing you in town. got the email to my phone about you updating and went "NOW THAT'S NOT FAIR I'M NOT HOME TO READ IT" and was grumpy until we got home!

Fabulous chapter as always. I love the self-control that Tom and Talith both have in this chapter. It's impressive. I also loved the "geniuses" bit. Made me laugh!

Well done as ever babe!
angelscatie chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Great chapter. I can't wait to see what comes next.
antra chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
Interesting.
At the moment I'm mostly concerned about the reaction of the Orions.
As you already stated, this is the second time Tom disturbed them. That means not only danger to Tom but B'Elanna and Miral as well
Runawaymetaphor chapter 13 . 7/28/2012
"He could tell that Talith wanted to speak, knew that she must - but there had been too many betrayals already and she would not readily add her own to the ones committed against her. She would need to be told that her oath no longer bound her, or else, be given a reason to break it."

A crushing image of a tired soldier, one whom solace may never find. I can't help but put it beside the image of yet another, seemingly so long ago, if always present in my mind's eye:

"And in a simple but elegantly furnished study on a leafy estate in California, a retired admiral, holding hands with his wife, felt a burden lift from his shoulders - one he had carried for many years."

May peace find more of those who work for the greater public good. And may those who would see beyond ideological agenda, election cycles, and crude self-interest finally be rewarded with respite- somewhere warm, and always green.
ChicoryChickadee chapter 12 . 7/18/2012
This chapter reminds me of the Monean incident. I don't know if that was your intention or just my mind drawing its own conclusions. The situations are vastly different, yet similar. On Monea, the inhabitants were destroying a natural phenomenon with their technology for their own benefit. Here, The Denarian and Talari are facing a devastating natural phenomenon and are willing to use the technology of others for their benefit. Granted, without help both planets would face destruction.

It's interesting how one planet was being destroyed by technology and another needs technology to save it, yet in both situations, politicians are willing to sacrifice lives in order to remain in power. It's ironic to see how in both cases, neither party is willing to let nature take its own course; not because of the effect that it would have on their planets or even the welfare of their people, but because of the selfish lust for power.
Guest chapter 12 . 7/17/2012
That, my dear, was one hell of a chapter. My mind is still reeling from it. I love how responsible Tom is now, and how cheeky yet smart Harry is as his First Officer. And Janeway. Still love her :)

But yeah, wow.
winjan chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Good for Harry to have something to shoot at. The confession made my head spin
CrlkSeasons chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
"Ensign no more, Harry."
Well done, Harry! But poor Harry may never advance far enough in Starfleet to ever escape from one of his mother's well-meaning letters to his commanding officer. This was a welcome bit of lightness.

But, as your plot unfolds, you have the courage to face the dirt that is revealed under the rug.
"Loyalty, it turned out, was a fickle mistress ..."
"No, the promise had been given for the most simple thing of all: a cut of the profits."
Self-interest makes such sordid, shortsighted souls, doesn't it? It makes you want to find the nearest shower just to get clean again.

"The sad and quiet girl who temporarily shared his daughter's room demanded no less."
"Will somebody just tell me why?"
Sadly, that is always the question we are left with, and there may be more sacrifices to be made before all of this can end.
TheNaggingCube chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
YES! Oh this is so good. Love love love the build from Talith. Wow that was amazingly painful and heart rending. A begrudging respect and tolerance from Tom for her.

Lovely.
waffenmac chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Great chapter glad you updated
W
Guest chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
There it is, the universal tendency to ignore science that doesn't fit your own world view.
At the moment I feel with Talith, because her using this weapon was nothing more than a calculated move while she believed she was doing the right thing.
I think the overall problem are the politicians, and I'm not even talking about the ones that just padded their creditlines.
The good thing is that now they are forced to work together. Millions of people had to die for it but at least the greater problem is clear
Guest chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
Ooooooooooh Wow. I didn't see this coming. Fantastic as always honey.
Haha I think the Olympics have given themselves a Black Card. The organisation sucks and right now... it looks like the Olympics vomited all over my town. I'm 400 miles from London.
172 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »