Reviews for The Sign of the Four
Atlasina7 chapter 26 . 9/14/2014
Wonderfully well written story and I'm sorry it's come it an end. I enjoyed every word and now must be on to "What He Likes".
hatondog chapter 25 . 5/19/2014
This is actually a continuation of my comments for Chapter 26, which posted before I finished them thanks to my clumsy use of a touchy tablet screen, sorry! Your character voices were spot on, even for Mary (who hadn't been shown on air when you wrote her), and Sherlock (your version seemed pitch perfect even though he's yet to be overtly depicted as being quite so vulnerable). Although Mycroft wasn't as culpable as he appeared to be in TRF when this was written, you even foreshadowed that in showing how much he really cares for his little brother.

In short, bravo and thanks for a great read. I may be spoiled for other fics after this, except for your sequel which I'll be picking up ASAP and am grateful to hear focuses on Sherlock and Irene. Oh, and belated congrats too on your MFA.
hatondog chapter 26 . 5/19/2014
No, thank you. This has been my favorite fanfic story to read ever. Unfortunately for my to-read stack of books and even work (which I should be doing now but had to finish this piece then couldn't stop without offering my gratitude for it), I've been reading a lot of Sherlock fanfic lately. Really ridiculous amounts. A fair amount of which is very well-written and thought out. But your work here is truly in a league of its own. If I had Moffat, Gattis and the whole cast at my disposal to create a dream Sherlock story, they couldn't do much better than this.

Gushing aside, it's particularly amazing how prescient your story is viz how series 3 actually unfolded. In fact, how you handled Sherlock's drug addiction had a parallel in HLV, but you developed the emotional, physical and professional consequences of a relapse, while the episode just used it to advance the plot. In that way, you filled in a frustrating gap in the on air storyline more than a year before it aired. And your character voices (including
Lea chapter 26 . 1/17/2014
Love your fic!
leiasky chapter 26 . 6/4/2013
I've adored your use of Mary in this fic. She and her history were the perfect catalyst to propel Sherlock back into John's life and back into rebuilding his own. I hope she is so well portrayed in the show this season as she is in this story.

But - did you HAVE to use her to interrupt their VERY IMPORTANT conversation about having his V card finally punched (repeatedly...) ?! Very bad words slipped past my lips...

I'm an angst lover and it was just beautifully scattered throughout. I do adore your Mycroft and I hope to read more with him in any additional fics you write. His caustic relationship with Sherlock is simply fascinating - and rarely done believably.

I didn't comment on each chapter because I was desperate to get to the next so this woefully inadequate review will have to suffice.

Anyway, brilliantly written fic. They need to hire you to write some Sherlock novels. Or scripts.
leiasky chapter 23 . 6/4/2013
Out of all the brilliance in this chapter, I can't help but cackle with glee at the 'I'm not a virgin' revelation.
leiasky chapter 13 . 6/4/2013
Delicious, delicious angst! Oh how I love thee! I can't believe I hadn't read this before! I'm hoping the little mentions of Irene are callbacks to your other story (which I absolutely adored!) about his time away.

Brilliant work again.
Guest chapter 7 . 5/22/2013
Congrats. You successfully guessed which story will make it to the screen. :) Sherlock, season 3, episode 2, is called "The Sign of Three". It'll b interesting how similar yours will be compared to the episode. Can't wait, and AWESOME job. :):):)
CrayfordDresden chapter 8 . 4/28/2013
Mary is cool she reminds me of Joan Watson in Elementary.
CrayfordDresden chapter 5 . 4/28/2013
Wow Amazing deductions fro Sherlock. Brilliant and like the TV show . Impressive, seems like it was difficult to write.
Cordelia123456 chapter 26 . 4/25/2013
Oh my god, I feel like I'm choking up. I came to read this after reading "what he likes" (which I fell in love with), and it's just... Beautiful. You are possibly the most brilliant Sherlock writer I've ever read, everything you write makes me feel as if I'm actually watching (well, reading) the show. Your characters are so deep and layered and perfect, and your plots are absolutely inspired. I really wish I could have reviewed on every single chapter (there were things I wanted to fan girl about in each one), but sadly your writing was to amazing, and I couldn't stop reading even for the couple of minutes it would take to review. Now, excuse me while I go start on the sequel to this story.
Laura chapter 26 . 4/22/2013
I've spent the last few days reading this after enjoying "What He Likes"... fantastic fics! Love your attention to detail and thorough research coupled with excellent prose. Laura xx
Anon chapter 26 . 4/16/2013
You really write very good stories. This is good enough to be published :)
A for Anarchy chapter 26 . 4/15/2013
Sooooo...I kinda did this all in one hit. Yeah, I just couldn't help myself. Reading this was like watching the show, and I've marathoned all six episodes more than once...I'm addicted, what can I say? I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of your latest fic!
Riya Morut chapter 20 . 4/10/2013
You really know how to draw out the angst, don't you? I KNEW heart problems were coming; the "Chekov's gun" principle demanded it. One note about chest pains: from what I know, heart attack victims feel a crushing sensation, not a sharp pain. (I've never had a heart attack, thankfully, but I do suffer from costochondritis, which exhibits many of the same symptoms. The first time it hit and I went to the emergency room, I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I was quite high on painkillers before they figured out what was wrong with me!)

The parallels between Sherlock and Tim Sholto that you've woven throughout the narrative have provided for some splendid introspection for Sherlock, and the buildup to this moment was wonderful. Sherlock long ago proved that he was reckless to the point of suicide, and jumping into the Thames to go tangle with a meth addict certainly rates up there with picking a pill from the cabbie. His desire to understand Sholto-not just arrest him, but to figure out his motive-was one of my favorite parts of the chapter. And when Sholto finally gives him the answer, Sherlock sees a portrait of himself if he continues down this road. It's such a horrible moment for your audience, but you pull it off so well.

Beautiful chapter. Can't wait to re-read the rest!