Reviews for Left Behind
Crumby chapter 1 . 7/10/2012
Lovely one-shot. Thank you for sharing. :)
boswellonthestreet chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
What can I say? You've done it again; truly heart-breaking, the way you captured the passage of time was perfect. The ending was great too; not cloyingly sentimental, but absolutely fitting for Lady Mary. Brilliant stuff.
acct-delted chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Carlisle's eyes. Good for Mary.
Robert Cora Fan chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
I've often wondered about the changes Matthew/Mary will experience in their lifetime. This fic has answered these questions beautifully! Mary was very well drawn - looking back to the past at the same time as getting involved in her grandchildren's lives. I like the parallels with Violet as well.
eridani chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed this. I was expecting a sort of poignant/morose meditation on Mary's slipping relevance in the modern world, but the last half dozen paragraphs turned this oneshot into something quite different. I was really pleased to see Mary taking up Violet's mantle as the wise, if interfering, matriarch of the family.
robspace54 chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Mary will carry the flame of Downton to her grave, protecting the legacy and her descendents.

Quite clever and very, very, good. Bravo.
Audrey C chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Interesting premise. You never know what the future will bring. Well done. I enjoyed it very much!
Frea O'Scanlin chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
This was truly lovely. I could see all of this happening so well because the language was perfect, as was the framing device. I hadn't really given much thought to an older Mary (save to ponder at the ages when WWII happens, as that's a rather big hallmark in history), but this story really makes you think and wonder. It made me smile to see Anna and Mary as lifelong friends, and to know that not everything is perfect at Downton Abbey or even between the characters. It was a wonderful start to my Sunday morning. Thank you very much for sharing it.
ScarletCourt chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
Lovely glimpse into Mary's future as she outlives Matthew and Anna and watches over her grandchildren. Too bad we don't see her interact with either Edith or Sybil, but then it seems like Edith didn't want to. Loved Mary's reaction to her youngest(?) son's wives and grandchildren and how she took Robbie's first set of children under her wing when Verena divorced him and left the children in her care. Loved also how you interweaved WWII into the story with the death of Tommy.

Excellent work!
swans-a-melting chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
This was a really interesting idea, and a fanfic take I have not read before, with Mary so much older. It was interesting how Downton had changed over time - you know, becoming so popular for the television and such (but of course, it is a truly beautiful building!). And it was sad to think of all the other characters dead - but it was also nice to see a new generations. I loved the "smile like armour" part. It is so like Mary...and the mood that it creates is so beautiful and wistful. Great job!