Reviews for Quarian with a Shotgun
shipwreck321 chapter 24 . 1/24
so far so good. Reread it again after long time and its good.
EroSlackerMicha chapter 1 . 12/10/2016
ah Ash a bigot that eventually grows up
ChronicTruffleEater chapter 24 . 11/10/2016
Always a pleasure to enjoy one of your chapters, and as usual you bring up some good points on the issues surrounding the game, I hope you can continue this series into the second and third games or perhaps with some more stand-alone stories. Nice read!
anotamous chapter 24 . 10/17/2016
Good to see you still working on this. Now to try answering some of your inconsistencies. 1 and 2 I will give you, as they are extremely reasonable. 3 has me raising some doubts, encryption is not foolproof, and a lot of languages follow certain rules that repeat over and over, meaning it would be fairly easy to learn a language that you listen to enough, but on the whole makes sense.

4 on the other hand has an easy answer. No communicating does not mean no listening, Vigil could have simply gone passive and just listened to various communications (note that he said comms and transport across the Prothean Empire were crippled, not halted. The Reapers would likely also want to have some communications still intact to help locate populations) that managed to get out, without transmitting anything back. Even the fragments that would be escaping could be combined with logical assumptions to paint a picture, which would almost certainly be bleak and hopeless.

For 5, you have to remember that Vigil was running cryo units (which have fairly hefty power requirements to begin with), and had no way of replenishing whatever was used as fuel (likely Helium 3 for fusion reactors) as the facility was dark. Even a Nuclear powered warship can only last a few decades before it needs refueling. Once the Reapers were gone, then Vigil could replenish Fuel using whatever infrastructure remained, and then shut down almost completely, and remain shut down until an external trigger of some kind would 'wake' the facility. The method you use (Saren brought generators with him) works fine however, so I won't pry too much.

6 makes sense, for 7 however, the army he would need to bring is not as large as you would think. For one, each Geth Trooper is superior to a standard Turian or Alliance soldier (supposedly, you wouldn't know that based on how you mow them down however). They have better weapons and shielding (again, supposedly), they don't feel fear and they can't feel pain, so the normal tactics of suppress and flank won't work on them, they hit harder, they can move faster and do not fatigue, so less are needed for prolonged combat.

They also are up against C-Sec, which despite all the grandeur about it is just a police force. At most they have Assault Rifles, a few Snipers, and Shotguns with the occasional light armored vehicle backing them up. The Geth by comparison likely have Mortars, Rocket launchers, Armatures (AKA tanks) and Air Support, and possibly chemical weapons. A combined arms force like such could easily overwhelm a much larger police force, which is pretty much entirely light infantry for all intents and purposes. Under normal circumstances what police would do when facing such a force is call for backup. For C-Sec it would be from one of the ships in orbit, which would then deploy its forces. Unfortunately in this case the ships in orbit are a bit preoccupied with the inbound assault fleet.

Finally, Saren's Geth don't have to hold all of that much, just the the Citadel Tower, where everything they need is. That means that they can hole up at various choke points and let C-Sec come to them in limited numbers (it is highly likely that across the citadel internal communications are shot, as C-Sec HQ is on the presidium, making an organized counterattack take far longer to piece together, and until then only piecemeal forces that would be easy to dispatch would be the initial combat). I would personally put the numbers at closer to the six to seven hundred range, with heavier focus on Armatures, Juggernauts and other such heavier units, with lighter units being used to screen the heavies at the various choke points that would be set up.

For 8, I am not sure about the Conduit, but Relays themselves are practically indestructible, with the only one being destroyed in ME2 requiring a dinosaur-killer type asteroid(or larger) slamming into it at a fairly high speed to destroy it. If The Conduit has even a fraction of the durability of a full sized relay, then it is likely nothing short of Sovereign itself could destroy it.

Point 9 at first seemed absurd, but as I thought about it more the more sense it made, so good on you for catching that. The last point however, about Ilos not being a necessary stop, the phrase 'hindsight is always perfect' comes to mind. Shepard did not know (and indeed, could not have known) that the Conduit was a back door onto the Citadel. He went because he thought it was something else (think death star type weapon instead) and could not take the chance that it wasn't.

Looking forward to more, hope to see a new chapter soon.
Aftermath212 chapter 24 . 10/16/2016
I love your take on Ilos! It's always fun to see a story deviate from canon a bit. :)
Guest chapter 23 . 7/21/2016
Fun chapter as usual. I picture Renegade Shepard playing strip poker and potentially murdering our favorite Quarian on accident.
Endrius chapter 23 . 7/18/2016
I'm afraid Kaidan's report woldn't do much difference. I've been thinking for a long time why any recognition of Virmire non-survivor's deeds came after two years, only when Shepard "resurfaced". It looks like Virmire mission was top secret (news about destroing a possible cure for the genophage could make quite a stirr among Krogans), and all those medals and comendations were only a Council's way to get on the Shepards good side. It's ironic too, that aliens gave Ashley posthumously much more than humans.
On happier note, about Saren's shields: no weapons or specialaised tech attacs could do much against Plot Armour ;)
V-rcingetorix chapter 23 . 7/17/2016
As always, an excellent examination of an oft-overlooked aspect.

With #2; Shepard does mention the issue of a crew to Anderson (in Flux). I believe Anderson's response is that 'the crew trusts Shepard.' Of course, I'm operating off memory here, but the meeting scene you mention with Adams/Garrus would make sense.

Excellent dedication; learning how to play Poker for the sake of the story. That's research!

Keep up the good work!
ChronicTruffleEater chapter 22 . 5/16/2016
Great chapter as always. I always wondered why most of the crew just brushed off the VS who didn't survive. Guess Bioware got lazy with dialogue.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/23/2016
genuinely Impressed with how great of a story this has turned out to be, great job!
V-rcingetorix chapter 22 . 3/20/2016
Your selection for Ashley dying is a logical one, but I'd put up a counterargument. While the bomb is the primary target, would not the STG agents also be a consideration? If Shepard leaves them behind, given the pushback the Alliance keeps getting from the Council, could not the abandonment of those individuals be seen as a 'typical' human reaction, ie leave the aliens behind?

In which case, why would Shepard leave the most anti-alien member of his squad with the STG? Putting Kaiden with the bomb makes sense, but didn't Ashley also help with disarming the bombs on Eden Prime? Most elite soldiers (I think we can safely conclude that Ashley's time aboard the Normandy would put her in this category) have at least a basic education in safe explosives removal. SWAT teams have that, and they're not in the same category as Shepard's crew ostensibly holds.

Not saying you made the wrong decision there, just a couple other options. That one point is probably the best no-choice/choice Bioware gave for Mass Effect Franchise.

In response to Question 1), is it possible the Normandy has thrusters angled for banking? One particular facet for using the aerodynamic maneuvers is because of gravity, and how momentum swings the wings around; a tighter turn is achieved when the wings are closer to the fuselage for example.

Or, if the main Y-axis thrusters are based on the underside of the vessel, a partial rotation would give the thrusters the best angle to push against. It's hard for me to describe this in words, but if you wanted to go up-right, then you would need to roll the ship's body slightly to the right, then hit the thrusters. Forward momentum would keep you going forwards, and the lesser mass of the ship's nose would allow it to rise with a higher rate of acceleration than the heavier aft portion. Ergo, a swooping curve.

Just a thought.

Question 2) I wouldn't say the Normandy *ignore's* gravity; just that it has a reduced response to it. Momentum is the biggie for me in the game there; reduced mass (Mass Effect) does not affect density or acceleration, just in how much energy is applied to create a similar effect.

Question 3) What if the mass effect is channeled through the ship's superstructure instead of a big bubble? In ME2 the 'Dead Reaper' has an envelope that slows the 'chop' for the Normandy, but that could be a last-ditch emergency effort. Now granted, the bubble concept could be part of the shielding potential (reduce mass of objects approaching the ship), but that seems to not be an issue. Otherwise the shields would not be needed as greatly in the Collector approach, would they?

Good questions! Not sure if I'm making sense here, but hopefully I am.

Keep up the good work!
Endrius chapter 22 . 3/20/2016
RIP Ash
I agree with Your choice even if I like her more than Kaidan. Unfortunately this choice doesn't matter. In ME2 and 3 BW just turned Virmire Survivor into reincarnation of Bastilla Shan from KOTOR no matter who survived.
I also agree of Joker being an a-hole. He becomes more and more of him with every game...
Guest chapter 1 . 2/25/2016
Bofomania all of your work is phenomenal, probably some of the best fan fic I've ever read. PLEASE don't stop
bdrivermp chapter 21 . 1/3/2016
Really enjoyed the Wrex-centric chapter, really explained his thoughts during this mission,and I must say I am really enjoying your take on ME. Thanx for all your hard work to entertain the masses.
Nosaki 'Halfbreed' Shulon chapter 21 . 12/17/2015
I've just caught up, having only recently found your story. I've enjoyed it thus far, and you've done very well, if a bit lengthy on some parts.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to share my reasons for letting Kaiden die on Virmire. Like you, I chose Ashley to fight with the salarians and kept Kaiden with me to let him help set the bomb up on site. Tactically, it was the smart choice for the mission. When the toughest choice of the game, not including the naming of your Shepard, came along, I used the same reasoning. Both are willing to die for the cause, and Kaiden is a tech as much as he is biotic, thus making him perfect to hold the line while ensuring the bomb goes off. Saving Ashley and the salarians means saving more lives. It was one of the hardest choices I've had in gaming, but I still feel it's the right one.