Reviews for Quarian with a Shotgun
Fun chapter as usual. I picture Renegade Shepard playing strip poker and potentially murdering our favorite Quarian on accident.
Endrius chapter 23 . 7/18
I'm afraid Kaidan's report woldn't do much difference. I've been thinking for a long time why any recognition of Virmire non-survivor's deeds came after two years, only when Shepard "resurfaced". It looks like Virmire mission was top secret (news about destroing a possible cure for the genophage could make quite a stirr among Krogans), and all those medals and comendations were only a Council's way to get on the Shepards good side. It's ironic too, that aliens gave Ashley posthumously much more than humans.
On happier note, about Saren's shields: no weapons or specialaised tech attacs could do much against Plot Armour ;)
V-rcingetorix chapter 23 . 7/17
As always, an excellent examination of an oft-overlooked aspect.

With #2; Shepard does mention the issue of a crew to Anderson (in Flux). I believe Anderson's response is that 'the crew trusts Shepard.' Of course, I'm operating off memory here, but the meeting scene you mention with Adams/Garrus would make sense.

Excellent dedication; learning how to play Poker for the sake of the story. That's research!

Keep up the good work!
ChronicTruffleEater chapter 22 . 5/16
Great chapter as always. I always wondered why most of the crew just brushed off the VS who didn't survive. Guess Bioware got lazy with dialogue.
genuinely Impressed with how great of a story this has turned out to be, great job!
V-rcingetorix chapter 22 . 3/20
Your selection for Ashley dying is a logical one, but I'd put up a counterargument. While the bomb is the primary target, would not the STG agents also be a consideration? If Shepard leaves them behind, given the pushback the Alliance keeps getting from the Council, could not the abandonment of those individuals be seen as a 'typical' human reaction, ie leave the aliens behind?

In which case, why would Shepard leave the most anti-alien member of his squad with the STG? Putting Kaiden with the bomb makes sense, but didn't Ashley also help with disarming the bombs on Eden Prime? Most elite soldiers (I think we can safely conclude that Ashley's time aboard the Normandy would put her in this category) have at least a basic education in safe explosives removal. SWAT teams have that, and they're not in the same category as Shepard's crew ostensibly holds.

Not saying you made the wrong decision there, just a couple other options. That one point is probably the best no-choice/choice Bioware gave for Mass Effect Franchise.

In response to Question 1), is it possible the Normandy has thrusters angled for banking? One particular facet for using the aerodynamic maneuvers is because of gravity, and how momentum swings the wings around; a tighter turn is achieved when the wings are closer to the fuselage for example.

Or, if the main Y-axis thrusters are based on the underside of the vessel, a partial rotation would give the thrusters the best angle to push against. It's hard for me to describe this in words, but if you wanted to go up-right, then you would need to roll the ship's body slightly to the right, then hit the thrusters. Forward momentum would keep you going forwards, and the lesser mass of the ship's nose would allow it to rise with a higher rate of acceleration than the heavier aft portion. Ergo, a swooping curve.

Just a thought.

Question 2) I wouldn't say the Normandy *ignore's* gravity; just that it has a reduced response to it. Momentum is the biggie for me in the game there; reduced mass (Mass Effect) does not affect density or acceleration, just in how much energy is applied to create a similar effect.

Question 3) What if the mass effect is channeled through the ship's superstructure instead of a big bubble? In ME2 the 'Dead Reaper' has an envelope that slows the 'chop' for the Normandy, but that could be a last-ditch emergency effort. Now granted, the bubble concept could be part of the shielding potential (reduce mass of objects approaching the ship), but that seems to not be an issue. Otherwise the shields would not be needed as greatly in the Collector approach, would they?

Good questions! Not sure if I'm making sense here, but hopefully I am.

Keep up the good work!
Endrius chapter 22 . 3/20
RIP Ash
I agree with Your choice even if I like her more than Kaidan. Unfortunately this choice doesn't matter. In ME2 and 3 BW just turned Virmire Survivor into reincarnation of Bastilla Shan from KOTOR no matter who survived.
I also agree of Joker being an a-hole. He becomes more and more of him with every game...
Bofomania all of your work is phenomenal, probably some of the best fan fic I've ever read. PLEASE don't stop
bdrivermp chapter 21 . 1/3
Really enjoyed the Wrex-centric chapter, really explained his thoughts during this mission,and I must say I am really enjoying your take on ME. Thanx for all your hard work to entertain the masses.
Nosaki 'Halfbreed' Shulon chapter 21 . 12/17/2015
I've just caught up, having only recently found your story. I've enjoyed it thus far, and you've done very well, if a bit lengthy on some parts.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to share my reasons for letting Kaiden die on Virmire. Like you, I chose Ashley to fight with the salarians and kept Kaiden with me to let him help set the bomb up on site. Tactically, it was the smart choice for the mission. When the toughest choice of the game, not including the naming of your Shepard, came along, I used the same reasoning. Both are willing to die for the cause, and Kaiden is a tech as much as he is biotic, thus making him perfect to hold the line while ensuring the bomb goes off. Saving Ashley and the salarians means saving more lives. It was one of the hardest choices I've had in gaming, but I still feel it's the right one.
ChronicTruffleEater chapter 21 . 12/16/2015
Saving this to read on a plane. Looking forward to it :)
mdu627 chapter 1 . 12/14/2015
With the fear of sounding like a douche, I just wanted to point out that Ashley is slightly ooc, as she would never speak or think an evil word of her family, considering the stories of how she wanted to beat her sister's boyfriend to a bloody pulp
Guest chapter 20 . 11/5/2015
terrific writing. Its hard to find good mass effect fanfiction with tali and shepard without it turning into a coddlefest of "feels" and "emotions" and other pre teen crap. I'm quite happy you decided not to include a shepard POV, cause for me that ruins some of the magic of the guy. Since he's supposed to be a player character, not including his POV lets readers project some of themselves into him, and keeps the mystery of who he is truly aalive. Because at the end of it, shepard is nothing but a legend twisted by many retellings, as viewed by the ending scene in me3. Going on to who survives, i've always thought ashley the better sacrifice. Due to her extrovert personality, her absence would be felt more, and she could redeem the name of her family. i know most people prefer ashley to live
ChronicTruffleEater chapter 20 . 10/17/2015
An excellent chapter! Glad I finally sat down to read it! I agree your comments on the issues of Virmire are something worth a retcon by Bioware. I also think the omni-tool could use some more explanation in future ME games. Definitely a great chapter! I hope that regardless of who you choose as your VS that you have one more chapter where Tali and Kaidan have some interaction.

I personally have only had one full play through and I kept Ashley because I figured it was important for Shepard to have options for future love interests.

Looking forward to your next chapter!
Guest chapter 20 . 10/7/2015
Always saved ashley as well because she fits my playstyle and shes a girl