Reviews for That Night
Tigerlillyth chapter 2 . 4/6/2014
Is this finished, or are there more to come?
Gardenlove chapter 2 . 2/6/2014
I know it has been a long time since you wrote this but, I would love to read a chapter based from Archibalds point of view. Nobody has ever written anything similar that I know of.
jeanpaulandsophieranier chapter 2 . 7/20/2012
I really really like where you are going with this story! I've always wanted to know what ended up happening! Please continue! Oh and could you show what happens between Dickon and Mary pleas?
Bridge86 chapter 2 . 5/17/2012
This chapter reveals an entirely new side of the Secret Garden story, one that was never considered before. Here we have a motive for a villain and an antagonist that could work against the regeneration of the manor. A major theme of the Secret Garden was the view that if your mind thinks well than your body will heal. I like the idea that the Doctor was likely active in instilling negative thoughts into the boys mind. I would like to see how Lord Craven deals with his own contribution to, or lack thereof, to the boy’s health. He is not guiltless as he did neglect the boy and in my opinion cannot be excused because he mourned his wife. This chapter worked excellently as it establishes motive and opens up an entire new story.
Bridge86 chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
Like ‘The Secret Garden’ the chapter stays true to the values and ideals of the current time as well as the book’s themes. The scene of the servants around the table is extremely vivid. I can also imagine the servants gossiping fervently about the day’s happenings. The way they speak in their local tongue is very convincing. The only thing that I am uncertain of is whether the Head Cook would refer to Mrs Medlock by her first name, however I am not an expert on Edwardian class structure. I was instantly intrigued by the new character that was introduced, the sailor, as he represents the times’ fascination with the ocean and travelling. I enjoyed the initial transition of Lord Craven from cold, hard master into a person that is more approachable and optimistic. Again I am uncertain of the class structure and whether it would have been possible in those times for those two characters to share a drink. I love the idea of the house being regenerated and having the same fresh air breathed into it that helped to heal Colin. I’m also very interested to see the relationship that develops between Colin and Lord Craven. A final word, I think the narrator could have addressed the reader at some point. In the Secret Garden there were a few occasions were the reader was addressed by the narrator, offered a definition for a word or even commented on the story. Overall, I found your new chapter very convincing and intriguing.
BerryEbilBunny chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
It is a fascinating take so far and I wonder how things will develop from here on.