Reviews for Desperation Speaks
waitingforAslan chapter 1 . 11/22/2015
Your desperate and determined Dean is so convincing - and heartbreaking.

You wrote so many great lines: "He was not a man Dean was eager to confront. For Sam's safety and their father's wellbeing, he would anyways." This isn't just for Sam; it's for his dad too.

It kind of bugged me that Bobby and Jim kept pressuring him to reconnect with John. They'd never protected the boys from John (not that Dean thinks he needs protecting - he's doing this for Sam), but it makes me sad that they apparently are oblivious to how John has hurt Dean and their pressuring him to go back to that situation just isolates the boys more.

I love how most of the time the POV reflects this - "he's been taking care of Sammy practically his whole life anyways and he can do it just fine even without Dad" - yet from time to time, the truth slips out: that Dean desperately misses and wants his father.

"He almost thought of turning back then, thought of going back to Maine and apologizing to Dad. He never wanted to hurt his father like this." Oh, that hurt to read - Dean feeling guilty because protecting Sam hurts his dad. He doesn't even care that HE is hurt and has been hurt.

Great line after describing the lousy trailer: "it almost feels like home."

I love the little glimpses of the tender heart under the tough exterior - how he felt a little sad beheading the chicken and how he stares at the phone each Sunday wanting to call his dad.

And I love that Dean in this story can hide from his dad. His dad is a great hunter but he's taught Dean well, and even though he's on their trail, he can't find them. This is a commentary on both the effectiveness of John's training as well as Dean's skill, but also on Dean's desperate determination to protect Sammy.

Dean locking thoughts away is so typical of him - thoughts that "maybe they are never going back, and this is it and he'll be alone forever" and his anger when he ineffectively pounds the steering wheel, how he likes working at the ranch and how maybe he might WANT a life separate from hunting, and of course his never-ending sadness at being separate from and displeasing his father. He just shoves all that down and does what he has to do.

"It's nobody's fault and yet somehow it always feels like it IS Dean's fault." - ugh. Yes, that is his messed-up viewpoint, which is so sad.

I feel silly writing so much but I really liked your story.
CalamityJim chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
Haunting.
Iniysa chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
Great story! Thank you for writing it!

Lauren
HeartsDragon chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
Poor Dean! Q.Q

Fantastic story! I loved the ending~
Renhi chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Oh, gosh. That was pretty damn awesome!

Reading Dean!POV fics are always great, and seeing the father-son relationship between John and Dean was great. You hit the nail on the head and just...oh, wow.

Great job!
Nerdyesque chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Amazing, simply amazing. I can see this happening.
Gugga chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
What a great story and very very sad...
AislinnRose chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Wow, great story. Loved it.
3DBABE1999 chapter 1 . 4/10/2012
WOW! Simply WOW! I started tearing up a bit at John and Dean's reunion and would love it if you wrote more. Like maybe go up till the blow up about Stanford or something and how John might almost break his promise on that night. Just saying. You kept the boys in character. I really liked that. Although I honestly think it would be interesting if you wrote about what happened with John while Dean and Sam were on the move. I think Bobby might have actually kicked his ass for laying a hand on "his boys" and that the reason Bobby wanted the brothers with him is so he knew they'd be protected if John got violent. Again just sayin. I really loved your story and I'm faving and subscribing to it and you.
lorusgra chapter 1 . 4/10/2012
Beautiful Story. Hope there are more like this!
parakeet chapter 1 . 4/10/2012
Good. Lovely, but painful.
Lil' Djinn chapter 1 . 4/10/2012
OMG ! You killed me ! Your fic is wonderful ! Now I'm heartbroken but I don't care ... and I think I'm gonna read it again !

cold kagome chapter 1 . 4/10/2012
omg... yes love protective dean,,,