Reviews for Even the King
librarywitch chapter 1 . 9/12/2013
I wonder after it all whether or not Greg would be able to continue at NSY, not because of them but because he couldn't stand to be in the same room with that lot. Well done.
FarGreenCountrySwiftSunrise chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
Daww. Lestrade. I just want to hug him. Good fic. Thanks for writing it.
CryptoSquirrel chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
Ok your Lestrade is quickly becoming my favorite character. My heart was breaking for him throughout this ficlet and then it shattered at the last two lines. Oh my goodness poor Lestrade... :(

Thanks for sharing!
Thaddeus MacChuzzlewit chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
So sad, and so true.
owl-eats-waffles chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Beautiful and sad. A fantastic, very moving exploration of Lestrade's thought- I love the way you write him so introspecively and naturally.
CrazyCousinEiko chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
This... this... It hurts so good! XD

How do you always manage to break my heart, Morgan? How? :'(

I loved your progression, how we come to realize what Lestrade truly doubts. It's not Sherlock. It never really was about Sherlock, not for him. It was everything else in his life. This is what really broke me:

"Oh, he doubted.

Bitterly."

Let me go cry in my corner of this circular turret now...

(P.S. it feels like forever since we've talked. I hope you're doing well. Hopefully someone else has been heaping the loads of praise you deserve in my stead so you can grin like an idiot. :) )
gillian gutfright chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
This is a little piece of gold!
a-few-of-these-verses chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
This is really well written. I especially like the way you wrote about the Yard and justice at the end.
editor frog chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
I readily have to agree with this. Lestrade is vindicated, even if only two or three people believe him.

I also heartily agree on your point about the team, colleagues and institutions (save, of course, the unofficial 'Baker Street division'). The full measure of a man comes in his convictions, even if they are (seemingly) wrong. Guess that means Anderson and Donovan don't have much to measure when it comes to them. ;)

You've been exploring the fallout at NSY concerning Lestrade for some time now, and while it's interesting in the short form, I think a full scope should be brought to play here. Lestrade needs more than a few words to investigate the depth of his beliefs concerning Sherlock Holmes, and it would be so interesting if a certain unofficial 'PA' to the man in question gave some thoughts on the subject.

All in all, an excellent short piece. Looking forward to more!
The Red Fedora chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Sad. That whole episode was brilliant but heart wrenching. Nice tag...as always:-)
Time and Fate chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Of course Lestrade doubted. But common sense says that even if Sherlock were faking, that would be even harder than doing it
Riddelly chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
I first discovered this story because I have one with the exact same title XD It wold appear that our minds work similarly in that way!

In any case, this is really brilliantly done. The word choice is perfect, communicating so much in so few lines.
Hekateras chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Wow. Short but so poignant. I've been craving decent Lestrade-centric fics for a long time (and even scribbled some disjointed ramblings of my own that may never see the light of day), so I was overjoyed to see you post one. :)

I loved the ending, the bit about justice, and, well. Amazing, all of it, relaly.