Reviews for Target
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Catching up on my reading, and I am sorry I missed this. Wow. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but everything in this story flows perfectly. From the beginning, to Schultz's realization that the men are just boys fighting older men's wars, to his progression from a bystander to an actual participant at the end.

And I was surprised at the end; thinking he would somehow run off and alert the prisoners. But no, he had to take action, and in that moment, we see what once was, and what could have been.

Great work!
Guest chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
very good i'd give you a five star keep up the good work i love it like i always loved shultz and lebeau on the tv show i'm 51 and watched hogan's heroes when i was very young
Nomad1 chapter 1 . 10/19/2012
I love this. Fantastic portrait of Schultz.
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
It's not often that we get to see a piece about Schultz with him as the main person-really enjoyed this story.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 4/27/2012
A fascinating, serious look into Schultz's brain. You've played off of the character on the show and give his actions deeper meaning many of us probably haven't considered, particularly with his marksmanship. You've drawn his character and built him up quite well throughout the story.

Like a few people, you caught me off-guard slightly with the ending, which is a good thing because it fits how you've set him up.

You may not have completed the challenge in the two week time frame, but it hardly matters. It was well worth the wait. Very nice job.
Thaddeus MacChuzzlewit chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
Wow. This is not something I ever would have considered before. But you have me convinced now. It's well written, deep, and definitely captures Shultz's attitude. Well, at least one possible version of his attitude.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 4/13/2012
I recognized the challenge line immediately from last summer and thought it was great that you were using it: it's as much a challenge for a writer now as earlier, after all. :-)

This is a magnificent character sketch of Schultz, using that opening line as a theme to explore the backstory you've created, a kind of refrain for his life from his youth in the army through his marriage and his current career at Stalag 13 up to his final decision at the end of the story. The sentiment weaves together so many elements of his life, as you show the slow progression of his thinking. The definition of country is complicated for your Schultz, the son of a veteran of the first battle of the Franco-Prussian War, who can yet see LeBeau as a kind of countryman because his home city of Strasbourg had been annexed to Germany as a result of that war, and thus Schultz learned it as German from the maps of his childhood. That’s a beautiful historical subtlety in your story! The problem of defining his country, of acting patriotically, gets mixed with ethical questions of doing right and wrong, and questioning the ethics of inaction. After developing a sympathetic and paternal outlook on the prisoners in the camp who are nominally his enemies, Schultz debates whether inaction and refusal to see are cowardly and traitorous when he no longer agrees with the political powers that run his country. His comment on not knowing if Hogan is Papa Bear – that a “guess is not knowledge. I know nothing!” – gives important extra meaning to that oft-repeated phrase. Throughout the course of the story you show very convincingly how Schultz carefully traces the shift in his passive cooperation to more active collusion and the reasons behind that change that lead to his final deliberate action at the end of the story, when he commits what could be defined as murder and treason against his country, because he has finally actively decided what the higher importance and good are, and where he will stand. This is not so much rationalization as rationale for his actions; he feels uneasy enough about what he has done that he has to think it through, but not so much that he thinks his decision was a mistake.

The way you build in Schultz’s abilities with a gun is very deft, from his memories of using a machine gun in World War I, to his deliberate poor-but-just-passing performance in his marksmanship qualifications on being re-drafted, to his admittance that he is a fine shot at targets, to his final use of his skill. The car seems to misfire, but Schultz does not.

Little points: I love the way Schultz sees his size as a kind of defense against being put in more active soldierly roles and treats food as his escape (vs. the drugs his trench comrades used); this puts him firmly on the side of life. And finally, the final line is just wonderful, as Schultz acknowledges that Hogan’s operation continues, and that’s possible now because of his own actions the night before. An ingenious concluding touch.
konarciq chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
A truly lovely view of Schultz we get here. You have his voice down pat, and I can easily see all the details of his life so far play out.

Great ending - unexpected, but certainly believable that he would take action.

I must confess I'm a little puzzled over that last line though. Who was that extra prisoner?
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Better late than never, and this was a really excellent use of one of the opening lines in the speed-writing challenge. Heck, it's an excellent story, period.

Your Schultz has a depth of understanding and a moral code that we never suspected (not to mention a competence in marksmanship he's careful to conceal!)

I particularly liked two of his thoughts that seemed very appropriate:

One regarding the Schultz we know: 'what the Kommandant did not know would not hurt me'

One regarding the Schultz you reveal here: 'A coward who is only scared for himself has so much less to worry about.'

And as SlytherinDragoon, says, we wouldn't have expected THAT from Schultz, but his action truly fits the character who has developed in the course of your story.

Well done.
Sgt. Hakeswill chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
The ending was certainly a surprise, I would have never expected THAT out of Schultz.
Jinzle chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Ah but it was well worth the wait. A wonderful story from Schultz's POV. I had to smile when I read the line about his wife echoing his father's worth at the annoucement of his pending fith child.