Reviews for The Avenger
Berry's Ambitions chapter 5 . 1/2/2013
Great chapter!

I'm super-excited over the fact we're reaching some major plot points in the story. As I've stated before, I really like the dynamic the trio of protagonists have and hope that it'll continue throughout the story, even while they're in Sector 16.

Amber's dream at the beginning intrigued me. I'm curious to see if it plays a role later on, and if it's foreshadowing anything. The voice she called and the hand she held... wonder who that could be? ;)

It was really cool to see the two films beginning mesh together in the scene with Jeb and Gas Haven. I totally grinned during that part, especially Ruby's cameo. The fact she was wearing Bobby's hoodie made the shipper in me very happy indeed. But now I have a whole new boatload of questions, like why Jeb and Ruby were behaving so strangely (more strangely than usual, I mean XD). And of course, the identity of the mysterious figure in the gas station. At first I was sure it was Pluto, but now I'm beginning to question it...

Despite the fact the trio are in a serious situation, I love how you're able to add light-hearted moments here and there. "He just looked... weird" definitely made me lol, because it's so true. Really, everything in this story feels very natural and I have no difficulty buying anything that's happened so far.

Mickey's appearance towards the end was quite the twist! I didn't see that coming at all. Wonder why Stump had such a strong reaction to it (other than the obvious) and what kind of role Mickey plays in all of this. I mean, it did cross my mind that he was the only soldier from HHE2 that wasn't even mentioned by Amber. Nice to know that you wrote it that way intentionally.

Can't wait to see where you take this next! I'm really enjoying it! :)
TheHawksRock25 chapter 5 . 12/31/2012
I liked this chapter. I wonder who Stump saw in the gas station with Jeb and Ruby. Keep up the great work and I will anxiously await the next! Love this pairing too!
hunter-strain13 chapter 4 . 11/26/2012
I was so stoked to see a new chapter for this! :D I am so in love with your writing style I don't even...

Can't wait for more!
Berry's Ambitions chapter 4 . 11/25/2012
Finally, more of The Avenger! I've missed this story so much! :D

I really liked this (no surprise there). I'm glad you took the time to expand on the Amber/Missy friendship during this chapter, and the fact we got to see more of Missy herself. Despite the fact it's Amber's story, we get a great sense of what the other characters are feeling and thinking, and what their personalities are like. I have to say that the soldiers have more dimension here than what was shown in the film, though it might be because you're actually letting us get to know them while Wes Craven was setting them up for slaughter. XD

It's interesting how you have Amber quietly seething in rage rather than openly expressing it. It fits her personality, too - no one saw her little breakdown in the movie (when Letch was killed) coming. I have a feeling that at some point in this fic, she's going to just snap, and that it'll be ugly. I don't know who I fear for more: the mutants, or Amber's mental health.

Well, it looks like we're getting to the meatier stuff. Pun kind of intended, lol. Love the group dynamic between Amber, Crank and Stump, something that I hope will continue to develop throughout the story. Now I see why you'd choose to include Stump as a part of the search and destroy team - he really lightens the mood. Can't imagine what kind of vibe we'd be getting had it been just Crank and Amber, what with Amber being broody and Crank being his typical grouchy self. Though I do wonder if Stump has any other motivations for coming. I mean, he *is* aware of the fact they may never go home again. That's a pretty big risk he's taking, even for a pair of good friends.

As for Crank, I absolutely love what you're doing with him. He's still prickly as hell, but you can tell just how much he cares for Amber and the lengths he'd go to in order to protect her. You write him as a very smart and perceptive guy rather than a stereotypical hothead; I can honestly say that I'll be sad if anything were to happen to him.

So Amber is beginning to understand the true gravity of her situation: the fact that not all of them may survive this, and that she's being rather selfish. Regardless, I do sympathize with her and hope that she'll eventually be able to conquer these inner demons, even if it takes time... and the help of a certain hat-loving mutant. ;) Who, by the way, I'm very excited to see!

I can't even begin to talk about how much I'm looking forward to chapter 5. Seriously. If you can find time to update this particular fanfic (and maybe SttV? *cue Ruby-like eyes*), I'll love you forever! But, considering your hectic schedule, I'm grateful for anything you choose to write for the time being. Like I said before, I hope nursing school eases up soon. You deserve a break. *big hug*

Hope to hear from you soon, whether it be reading material or a PM! :)
Berry's Ambitions chapter 3 . 7/30/2012
I don't think that was dull at all! I enjoyed reading this as much as you probably did writing it. :)

As I've stated before, your interpretations of the characters are spot-on. I love the additions of Napoleon, Spitter, Delmar and Stump. Stump was especially awesome; I think the concept of him being a tattoo artist is a plausible one, as is the idea that he has a crush on Missy (their banter was very fun to read, btw). Really curious about his role in the story now that he's coming along with Amber and Crank! I never expected that.

I liked that, while it did have important information, this chapter was more light-hearted than the other two. There were some really funny moments in here, such as Luis' aversion to tattoos and Daniel being his obnoxious self. You would've never guessed that these are original characters considering how seamlessly they blend in with the rest of the cast!

Another thing I really like is how much you've fleshed out Amber. As much as I like her, we learned next to nothing about her in the film and it's nice to see her finally getting the development she deserves. Her emotions are very realistic, especially her grief and anger. I do hope that she doesn't sink even deeper into this dark place that she's currently in, though.

I know I've said this before, but it's amazing how true you stay the characters despite circumstances being completely different here, like Delmar and Crank's friendship and how it turned out Stump was the one who gave Missy her Clyde tattoo. It's really fascinating to see how you twist everything to fit the context of the story.

But oh my God, the scene where Amber receives the Joan of Arc necklace... wow. It was just a really symbolic and touching moment, and what's even more shocking is that it came from Crank! Looks like Mr. Tough Guy has more to him than what meets the eye!

This was probably my favourite chapter so far. The suspense just keeps building and building, quite similar to the tension in Amber. The last line was very effective and left me desperately wanting more!

Pretty please update soon? XD
GingerBites chapter 2 . 6/12/2012
Oh no! I can't wait to see what happens next. I love it! Keep it up!
Little Pink Neko chapter 2 . 6/10/2012
Wow! This was well worth the wait! :D

I really loved the way you wrote everyone, it felt really realistic and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I liked Daniel as well! He was a really cool addition. :) I loved the bit where he was flirting with Amber too. :D

I love the careful planning Amber's taking. I found Amber really realistic and sympathetic. I really enjoyed how you wrote Crank. I really enjoyed the way you wrote him. You made him a nice, good friend rather than a straight up jerk. He had his annoying moments in the film but you could tell he was still a decent guy.

It's cool that Crank's going with her, that'll be interesting!

Can't wait for your next update! :D
Berry's Ambitions chapter 2 . 6/9/2012
Awesome chapter! I really enjoyed it!

I think it's just so cool who you took the soldiers and molded them into everyday people without taking away from their original personalities. The inclusion of Crank was great, especially his interactions with Amber. Daniel was a fun character as well, despite the fact he hasn't appeared in the canon. I love the thought of Missy having a big brother, and the bit where he was flirting with Amber? Priceless.

I like how Amber is planning out every last detail of her trip to the desert, and that she had Crank train her how to fight. The emphasis you put her mental state is very realistic; I found her very relatable and sympathetic. The way you wrote Crank was nice as well, giving him a bit of depth and likeability rather than making him a straight-up jerk. He had his annoying moments in the film, yes, but I firmly believe he cared about his teammates. I would've never thought to add him as here as one of Amber's friends - smart move.

So Crank will accompany Amber on her journey? That's probably a good idea; going alone is practically suicide. Hope he gets out of there in one piece! Wonder what Missy will think of all this?

I can't wait to see where this goes! _ Great update, as always!
nigthofdoom chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
I would love it if you continued the story,it's amazing!
Little Pink Neko chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
This is amazing! I love it already!

I love seeing Amber with dark hair. Since the actress that plays her has got dark hair. Seeing Clyde as well, so cute. I love that little angel. :) Everyone was very in character, you did an awesome job! So good!

I'm really excited for the next update! Thank you for writing this absolute gem. :)
SweettFace chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
Oh snapp! This is awesome! Just what I've been looking for!
Berry's Ambitions chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
I was so excited when I saw that you posted this! I thought it was an excellent introduction!

I really like how everything is from Amber's point of view, and how you wrote her. She feels very real and I easily related to her. I think it was a wise choice to make her the narrator. It's much more effective than a third-person perspective would have been.

I also enjoyed Amber's interactions with the Martinez family, especially Missy and Clyde. Clyde is adorable! I love the backstory of Amber and Missy's friendship - how they knew each other since early childhood, how Amber was in the hospital during Clyde's birth, etc. The fact Missy's parents knew Amber's is a nice touch.

It was lovely how you fleshed out the characters and their backstories. It made everything feel much more vivid and realistic. You did a great job expanding on things that were only implied in the film, one example being Missy training to be an EMT, but also adding your own little personal touches into it, like the scene where Amber explains the decision she made regarding her hair. (Thanks so much for using a few of my suggestions, by the way! That was so kind of you!)

But the most interesting thing was that, underneath all this supposed normalcy (hence the chapter title) Amber is still grieving for the loss of her parents and feeling rightfully vengeful towards the ones who killed them. Mutants, you better watch out! ;) They're gonna dearly regret what they did!

I really can't wait to see Amber's journey and how Goggle winds up tangled in all of this! This was a really intriguing opening! I eagerly await the next chapter! :D