Reviews for All That Glitters
underthelane chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
"Rosie kiss it, make it better?"

Hermione presses her lips together tightly, trying not to cry.

"Oh, Rose. There are some things even kisses can't fix."

That was probably my favorite part. I really enjoyed how you wrote this, great job.
Exceeds Expectations chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
I'm so conflicted right now. I really like this because it's so well written and realistic, but I feel horribly guilty and torn for enjoying watching Ron and Hermione crumble. *clutches Romione close* I'm sorry, babies.

Seriously though, this was painfully real. How they appear on the outside and how Hermione tries so hard to comfort Rose and how Ron thinks about giving up, it's all just so perfect.

Good job :)
cherryredxx chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Being a single mom, this story hits really close to home for me. You did such a good job of demonstrating how hard things can be for people who fall out of love when there are children involved. I loved how you didn't really make either of them into the bad guy, but rather that they had just both drifted apart and were not quite as compatible as they once thought. The way Hermione talked to Rose and the way that Rose wanted everything to be okay just broke my heart. You did a great job of handling this, and this was just beautiful writing.
Mr Bellatrix Lestrange chapter 1 . 4/17/2012
YES! Every single thing about this rocked, and I'm not lying. This is just way too amazing. Let me see how to put this into words...

For one thing, it's RonxHermione. Now that being said, I don't hate the pairing, but it's not my OTP or anything. This was just the balance of all things good on it. The fighting and the falling apart- it's much to /expected/ of them to never fall apart, and I'm so glad they did for that alone reason! It's sort of like our "American dream," which we all know doesn't exist safe for in theory.

First paragraph, boom, about how "perfect" they are, and you can already tell that's not the case by your diction. I particularly liked that as a beginning. It's saying: all goes down from here- with much more finesse, of course.

And the next paragraph (sorry you're going to have to re-read your story :/) about how their jobs are desired, and their kids (nice "one boy one girl" touch) are beautiful. It fits even more so because nothing is always that perfect.

"Two-thirds of the Golden Trio." Always been my way of thinking. And the happily ever after part is so very cliche that I actually enjoyed it. Because we know that's not how it's going to go, right? By this time in reading I was already convinced I loved this. Moving right along.

Your repetition of "from the outside" really makes me think that they're living on the pretense of what other people think, and what other people want. They'll pretend to be this happy family, but they're actually falling apart at the seams, slowly, ever so slowly.

"We? No. You? Yes. But then, you never did grow up, did you Ron?" I have to say that I'm on Ron's side here. Nothing wrong with never growing up, but I just adored the way you worded it. The argument is just so realistic, and it's what I expect of both of them to the T. Then in comes Rose, and when Ron's face fell, oh boy. Just the simple words of a child can sting. I feel for Ron, as I've been in an almost similar scenario.

Gah, Hermione going in and coming down to Rose's level mentally was fantastic. The way she described things to help a child understand. Very believable.

"Hermione takes a deep breath. She doesn't believe in lying to her children, and she doesn't believe in trying to hide the truth from them. She doesn't believe in deciding that they're too young to hear something, or that they're certain things they shouldn't hear. She believes that if they are old enough to ask a question, they are old enough to hear the honest answer." All parents she be like Hermione, and though it's never happened to me, "I'll tell you when you're older," is just ridiculous and infuriating. She has a very nice philosophy and view on life. I like how fleshed you made her.

"Rosie kiss it, make it better?"

Hermione presses her lips together tightly, trying not to cry.

"Oh, Rose. There are some things even kisses can't fix."

My favorite part. The imagery, the childishness and innocence of the statement. And Hermione's reaction; I can picture it beautifully. Well, well done on that.

The last sentence was just all things ever good. It really signifies her want to keep this going, or maybe her want to NOT keep this going. And it outlines what a strong person she is, and not just an emotional person, but instead very factual and articulate (though, of course, crying isn't a weakness). I really really liked this. I hope I did it justice!
Shira Lansys chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
This described something very real and tangible, and something (I think) that is really quite common. I loved how accurately you showed all the emotions, especially when you put in Rose's conversation with Hermione.

Great story!
whatweareafreaidof chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
Good, Ron not a jerk, they just feel out of love,, both where at fault.
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
I've always rooted for Hermione and Ron to get together, but they're a pairing that I never actually read too much about. But I think you portrayed the troubles that most married couples go through very well and it was very real.

You used your prompt well and I liked the fact that you incorporated little Rose into the story. And since I'm American, I have to say that you pretty much got the American Dream down.

Though, I am curious as to what Ron meant by his parting statement. I read it as he was basically saying that they should just get a divorice since they have fallen out of love.

And on that subject...It's actually a first for me to read about Ron and Hermione falling out of love (given, though, that I don't read it often...), but it worked well in this story and you made it very believable.

Overall, I really liked this. :D