Reviews for An Apple for Tornado
Mariella chapter 17 . 5/31/2013
Please, please, please... Can we have a sequel! This was an amazing story! Thank you! Though I'm a little sad for Tokala, guess he never forgot his childhood friend, but what happened to them both was a real tragedy.
Guest chapter 17 . 2/20/2013
C'est vraiment magique cette histoire. Je l'ai lue tout en entier sans m'arréter. Et il n'a pas été nécessaire de réveiller mes souvenirs d'enfance, car ils ne s'étaient jamais endormis. Merci encore.
WDZorroFan chapter 17 . 11/23/2012
Lovely story. Others have expressed it better than I can, tho I did feel the same as the reviewer who said she could hear Guy's laugh. I saw his handsome face and heard his voice while reading. I grew up watching Guy on Zorro and Lost in Space. It awes me how he still inspires fans decades later.
IcyWaters chapter 17 . 11/13/2012
I am consumed by a flurry of emotions right now. I'm relived everything worked out for our hero and that he is now free of so many of the heavy burdens he shouldered. At the same time, I am a tad disappointed this adventure had to come to a close. You have a remarkable talent for gorgeous descriptions; you painted wonderful images, transporting me into this cavern while never slipping into purple-prose. Very few can pull that off!

I love how Diego and Anna Maria come to a shared understanding of that fateful day that affected them both so greatly. No arguments, no shouting, no misunderstandings... They are two adults who each realize their own mistakes of the past and who hope to begin a future together. Perfect.

I appreciate how you treat them with the maturity they deserve. The absolute trust they have for one another is extraordinary, and the type of love our hero merits.

Now for Diego and his father. :-) What can I say? I adore the scene from the moment Tornado wakens his master to Don Alejandro's stubbornness in that final line. Again, there is a maturity in their new relationship that is a breath of fresh air – for them and for me. :-)

Two more things I must comment on: I loved how you brought the narrative full circle with Zorro inwardly remarking on how next time, he should explain a head injury by saying an apple fell on his head. LOL! I also like how you ended this tale with a hint of the fulfilling future awaiting Diego.

As for your author's note, I should be thanking you for taking me on such an amazing journey. I hope you never stop writing for Zorro!

I also like you nod to Guy Williams. He is the epitome of Diego and Zorro. No other has come close to his filling his boots, and dare I say it? No one ever will. :-)
jkl88 chapter 17 . 11/13/2012
I just finished reading the last two chapters of your story. How much I have enjoyed this tale. Wonderful! I loved the duel and Zorro's sign of the Z upon Monasterio's brow. The escape and return towards safety is all so vivid. I must say I'm sorry this story has ended. I could just see Guy Williams in these pages and hear his laugh. Thank you so much. I hope you will entertain us all with another tale soon.
smithcrafter chapter 17 . 11/13/2012
Good story, and I like the tribute to Guy Williams at the end. I write NWZorro based fic simply because I like the way they let the characters grow and interact more realistically, but I get frustrated at people who continually debate which series is "better". They are two totally different approaches to the idea of Zorro. The Disney Zorro was exactly that: pure Disney style family entertainment. And it provided that very well! And as one who was introduced to THAT Zorro at age four or thereabout, that is the Zorro I grew up daydreaming about, and the Zorro who provided the ideas behind the plot of my Zorro stories, even though I write in the NWZ universe.
Little Bones chapter 17 . 11/13/2012
It was a delightful journey. Thank for this passionate story. I'm loss for words to say what I really feel.
In one word : "Bravo"
IcyWaters chapter 16 . 11/9/2012
"All their muscles were tense with the knowledge that, in the next few minutes, only one of them would be alive, or maybe they would be both dead..."

What a suspenseful way to begin a chapter! Just the idea of Diego and Monastario engaged in a perilous duel is enough to get my heart beating a mile-a-minute, but this passage has my heart about to pound right out of my chest. Not to mention the damage to my fingernails; or rather, what is left of my fingernails. :-)

The hatred between the two men is so palpable that I can feel in the air around me.

But sniff...what has that blasted fox done to my capitán? I flinched each time Zorro made a line of his mark. How dare he do that? As much as I adored the nod to McCulley, did it have to be Monastario who suffered the blows?

As the duel came to a close, I suspect many will despise Monastario's actions, but this is a fight to the death. Queensbury rules – ahem, the fencing equivalent anyway – don't apply. I'm glad our former capitán did not give up and go quietly into the night!

If only he had been a split second faster with that dagger. ;-) Yes, I am in a feisty mood at the moment. I'm still in shock over the final few paragraphs. Sniff...
IcyWaters chapter 15 . 11/4/2012
Where do I begin? :-)

I've always had mixed feelings toward Anna Maria, but I love her in this chapter. The way she tends to Diego, putting him first before her own needs, and her defense of Sergeant Garcia go a long way in redeeming the faults I found with her in the series.

I also like how she made a vital mistake - forgetting the pistol. In going back-and-forth to the water supply, it's a very plausible error. In addition, she is not used to these types of scenarios, so letting her guard down in tiredness also makes sense.

"If I intended to murder Señor de la Vega, it would have been easier for me to let him drown."

I love that line! :-) So noble and nefarious at the same time. Very, very Enrique Sanchez Monastario. :-) I also love how your give our former commandante an edge and keep his sharp intellect in tact. We see this in how he planned to escape the rising waters. Not everyone treats Monastario properly. After all, he did succeed in unmasking a fox once. ;-)

The duel between Diego and Zorro was fantastic! The quips, such as the remark about the manicured paws, had me rolling in laughter. They are both so haughty! It's pure joy getting to see two sides of our hero battle it out.

"I must admit that I missed you dearly these last three years. Life has been but a boredom chore without you. Like a dish missing spices."

That is the single best passage in this story! I, too, missed the witty retorts these two men shared once Monastario, er, left. The entire concept of comparing his desire for revenge to a play is inspired. The bit with Diego having to dress for the part, leaving a dagger for Anna Maria and Diego searching for the customary word to start a duel is simply brilliant.

Excelente, my dear author. :-)
jkl88 chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
Interesting duel between Diego and Zorro. I look forward to the real duel he has with Monasterio.
IcyWaters chapter 14 . 10/25/2012
Once again, there are so many wonderful facets to this chapter that I want to underline that I'm bound to forget most of them as I comment. :-) I greatly enjoyed Anna Maria's perspective on the Indian attack. Diego, even with amnesia, maintains a certain level of self-control and poise. I'd be feeling a lot more like Anna Maria!

Now that she is aware of Diego's secret life, I am glad that she's feeling some guilt for how she treated him. She may not want to admit it, but she certainly felt her friend was a coward when he failed to fight for Ricardo's life. I've often wondered what transpired in the tavern after the scene in the commandante's office concluded. This filled in the blank nicely.

Hmm, Tornado is playing Cupid, isn't he? ;-) Normally, he wouldn't let anyone near the saddlebag.

I do not like this scene with my Enrique hogtied at the end of an arrow. This will not do! He deserves better treatment. :-) I do love the glimpse into his sharp intellect, such as understanding the natives' language, working to uncut his binds, and sensing the rushing waters. I suppose this might make up for the earlier injustices.

A strong minded Anna Maria fending him off with the pistol is a nice touch, too. She had a lot of spirit at the start of the Monterey arc, but if fizzled by the end. This is a good return to that feisty señorita who matched Diego's own stubbornness.

But what is with this inclination you have developed for evil cliffhangers?
jkl88 chapter 14 . 10/24/2012
Cliffhanger! You've left Diego unconscious on the ground and a flood on the way...please post soon.
IcyWaters chapter 13 . 10/17/2012
Enrique! Woohoo!

That name plus blue eyes equals my favorite dashing villain. Excuse me while I do a happy dance... Okay, I'm back now. :-) This chapter has everything: adventure, suspense and a hint of romance. Oh, and then there is the matter of Enrique. :-)

Ahem, my apologies. I will keep on topic. When Anna Maria went to clean Diego's arm, I kept wondering what made her freeze. Was it the sight of the wound or was it the mystery of how a poet has such well defined biceps? Her fingers brushing his cheek and him kissing her wrist is so delightfully romantic.

I'm not usually a fan of romance stories, but that is largely because they are rarely as well done as this. Your scenes are lovely, realistic and never contrived.

I really enjoyed following Diego's line of thinking as he decided on the best route to escape. It was also great to see him crafting a makeshift weapon. More of his true self is shining through, which hopefully means his memories aren't far behind.

But what an evil cliffhanger! They are surrounded by the Blood Tribe, which from Diego's recollections tells us is a bad thing, and our hero succumbs to darkness again. You need to stop with this bad habit. :-)
jkl88 chapter 13 . 10/17/2012
Neat, Diego is remembering a bit more of his past. Nice chapter.
IcyWaters chapter 12 . 10/4/2012
This is a wonderful journey into Diego's current mindset.

While we have accompanied the young amnesiac on his adventure, it's still scary to consider how everything is foreign to him; how he doesn't even recognize his own father. I like how Diego tries to take control of these images that have haunted him, making certain he is in a safe place and conjuring them up when he is ready. This is our stubborn hero. :-)

I've complimented you before on this many times, but it must be said again: The sequence of memories is outstanding! It put me though a rollercoaster of emotions. My heart broke when he questioned who the silver-haired man was. I was laughing when Diego wanted to duel the fox, feeling his noble blood had been insulted by the bandit! Oh, how I wish we could see these two have a fencing match. :-)

But the humor came to an abrupt halt when his hallucinations shifted to Garcia being shot down by arrows. Even though this was only a mix of memories, the mere idea of Garcia being killed makes me shudder.

I'm glad Anna Maria is there to be his rock, offering him support. I can't help but wonder if she may be putting the pieces together. I also got a good chuckle when she remarked on Diego's disdain for Zorro:

"Pardon me again, Diego, but your tone... You might not remember who you are, but you still have this deep irritation tainted with a peak of jealousy in your voice when you speak of him."

It's just so *very* Diego!

Now that we know the kidnapping was a trap, I can't wait to learn what happens next.