Reviews for Rat And Sword Go To War
Atisa chapter 6 . 12/27/2015
I love your historical fiction. I greatly appreciated the writer's accurate use of historical facts, events, and people. Everything felt incredibly real which made the sorrows, laughter, and Narnia elements all the better.
Guest chapter 6 . 5/16/2015
That was soo good! I love their reunion there at the end, but also the fact that they are both so independent
Saoirse7 chapter 6 . 2/17/2015
That was so much fun! Tragic in parts, but other places made me laugh out loud, especially the last bit with Susan and her righteous fury about the tower. Wonderful story!
The Inebriated Lion-Minion chapter 6 . 6/7/2014
I was watching all the D-Day commemorations yesterday and all this past week, and this inspired me to read your wonderful story again. In particular, this year's D-Day coverage seemed to focus a lot more on the behind the scenes stuff, as well as the paratroopers and other forces, rather than just talking exclusively about those who landed on the beaches, and the whole thing really reminded me of your stories. When the BBC mentioned Lt Brotheridge as the first casualty of the invasion, I knew what had actually gone on, rather than just his name being unmeaningful fact. So thank you, cause your story is awesome, and it feels really realistic, not only for the huge amount of research, but because it brought these real people to life.
Bubbles of Colours chapter 6 . 5/25/2014
Hi! I read your answer to my last review... I'll be probably making my way through all your fics, because I've been really enjoying reading The Stone Gryphon and this one. I think they are magnificent, as Mary would say.

Connie x
Belle of Books chapter 6 . 2/2/2014
Um...so I decided that instead of writing my own paper based on the book, I would just read your story. Still have to do the paper...but glad I reread it, even if Edmund is only in it for a few brief moments...;)

Hope all is wel..
Debate4life chapter 6 . 9/17/2013
I've very much enjoyed your story. You truly capture the spirit of Narnia, and of Aslan. Your plot was sophisticated, your characters rang with sincerity, and your writing style was engaging. If I have a complaint, it is only that, even after such a long story, I am not yet ready for it to end.
dreamflower02 chapter 6 . 9/5/2013
At last I get the time to sit down and give a proper review of this amazing story.

I love all of the research you did. Much of this was information I had no clue about. I was always much more interested in medieval history than modern history. Yet all of this is totally fascinating, and I will have to see if I can find the book *The Irregulars* to read about the things that started you on this wonderful universe.

You've mentioned that some people have told you this could be original fic, meaning that as a compliment, but that you disagree. And I agree with you-this is true fanfic, and it is the rooting of the main characters in their own canonical world and in what happened to them there that makes it shine so well. Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy would not be the characters they are in your story if they had not been in Lewis' story first. You draw their "modern" personalities from what you know and deduce from their circumstances in Narnia. A Susan who had not grown to adulthood first before being thrust back to her "proper" age in England would not have been able to do any of the things she did in this story. Nor would a Peter who had not first had the experience of being the High King of a country under Aslan have been able to accomplish what he accomplished.

I was also fascinated by the way you fleshed out the real historical people who lived and breathed and fought and died in that horrible period of time. Historical fiction also has a lot in common with fanfic, in that the characters are not made up out of whole cloth (something that I sometimes think is *easier*), but you had to deduce what they were like by researching them and fitting your fictional account into what you know of their history.

The details of the battle were breathtaking. In many stories, I often find myself skimming the details of battles because they are often either excessively dry or exceedingly gory. You sidestepped both those hazards beautifully and completely held my attention throughout. There was no temptation at all to "skip ahead to the people stuff", because you reminded me with every word that there were *people* in the battles.

Writing of WWII, it's so easy to demonize the Nazis. Yet you managed to show the human side of the enemy as well, with the Lieutenant who had a crush on Susan, and the kindly Sergeant who slipped her gifts of food-yet even though they *were* humanized, they remained the enemy, willing followers of a mad glory hound who sought world domination.

There was also a personal interest for me as you gave the account of D-Day. My mother's oldest brother died in the Normandy invasion. He was a graduate of West Point, and was shot down and killed by friendly fire. I never met him, yet she never, ever got over his loss, and she refused to watch ANY movie or TV show about war. So there was that in the back of my mind as I read.

Your Pevensies are truly a work of art. While I could not say that this is the future Lewis envisioned for them in his mind, I have a hunch that he would appreciate the future you have given them.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tale!
Atchu chapter 6 . 12/22/2012
Another great story. It was very nice seeing Peter and Susan training and then putting their training to use.

I look forward to the continuation of Edmund's and Lucy's story.

Off to the side stories!
Hebi R chapter 6 . 12/21/2012
I'd very much like to hear more of the Crow and Heart. And what happened to the Rat and Sword after all of this. There still seems like so much more to tell; with Helen and her children now that she has accepted that they are grown; Prof. Russell; Lucy, her Guide, and her Quest; Susan and Tebbitt; Eustace and his spiritual journey; Eustace and Jill finding their role in this world; what Edmund does with his new skills...
Any chance we will get to see this?
Guest chapter 6 . 12/19/2012
wonderful all of the stone gryphon stories
Heliopause chapter 6 . 10/20/2012
Yes, it very much worked for me. I should stop and catch my breath before I write a review; I just read straight through the chapter, gallopped through alert to hold onto every word and thought and event as they went flashing past - phew!

I was moved by so much - Brotheridge's death, the terrible deaths of the men in the tank, Becker, Müller - hideous, pitiable, sad. Thank you very much for this.

Yes, the right place to stop, at the high water mark; what comes next is another story.

For NOW, anyway, though there's much more story, as shadowed out in the Maenad of the Maquis (which itself is one more of the 'stories to be told', of course) with the refs to the enormous respect in which Susan is held. And as well as the war-stories, I am really wanting to hear more about the Peter-Susan divide - I know it must have taken enormous energy to write this (and research it) so I have no business asking you for more - nevertheless... :)

Thank you again for this.
Heliopause chapter 5 . 10/19/2012
'bigoted' - that's the second time I've seen it - the meaning's plain, but it's a new one to me. company-specific?
""Someone shorter and hairier than you, Parr," - love it!

I really, really like that you show the "small" heroisms of people like Desvignes, the tiny, tiny actions of every single day during a long, long haul where any slightest misstep could mean death or torture, and bringing death or torture to others.

Just up to the doubts about May or June... It's feeling to me so much like "and jars two hemispheres" - the slow, inexorable moving together of great forces, and the people caught in them, and making them.

"By Aslan's will, Rat and Sword were at war." - oh, this is BRILLIANT!

This tension is ... wordless again. the Rommelspargen, and now the men, waiting.

(uuurrrrrhhh for the June bride" bit - which I have no doubt is absolutely factual.)

What I think of a Narnia story written as true, historical fiction? I think this is staggeringly good, a brilliant conception and meticulous in research, important in bringing really home what we all owe to so many, so many plain ordinary people... oh, I'm getting incoherent again. For me, it puts the iron into the Narnia stories (that's a compliment!), and really sets up as well a major psychological/theological blinder of a story about Susan-Peter, ending in those bleak words from The Last Battle. I would really really like to hear much more. (italics just about everywhere.)
Heliopause chapter 4 . 10/19/2012
I really like Susan's refusal to judge too quickly or too harshly re the moral complexities. (And her respect for Rommell.)
The rising tension is terrific.
Heliopause chapter 3 . 10/19/2012
This is amazing and wrenching. I wish I could say something intelligent about it. These are such heavy and real matters to be writing about. I really appreciate it as a homage to the real people, as well as a story I can hardly take breath in.