Reviews for Stripping It All Away
Alquawende chapter 2 . 10/10/2007
Poor Edrahil! He got a kiss, but it was not a lover's kiss. Only after he received that did he finally realize that Finrod was bound, in both hroa and fea... Finrod in here is so sympathetic to Edrahil. He wants to save him the pain but Edrahil knows when he looks in Finrod's eyes. Thanks for writing such wonderful stories!
RavenLady chapter 2 . 5/12/2005
As always . . . beautifully written, and it made me sniffle. And so different from anything else on this theme. I wish I could go into more detail, but it seems like when I get to these fics, the most important things have been mentioned already. *sigh*
Prophetic Fire chapter 2 . 8/21/2003
*blinks* Saddening. You know, I fear I am becoming desensitized to these fics, what with them being filled with so much emotion and all. Heh! I don't deem that a good thing, but what am I to do? I'm addicted. Did I mention it was great?
jillian baade chapter 2 . 6/4/2002
Indeed Finrod was stripped of everything. Isn't it curious how the Elves in the first age use their magic more obviously than those later? Your description of Finrod transforming his companions into Orcs is great, I could see it happening. Yes, Beren should have released Finrod from his oath to Beren's family, but when Beren approached Finrod he was desperate, and of course everyone desired to get their hot little fingers on one of the darned Silmarils. Interestingly, I think even if Beren had released Finrod, he would still have helped Beren.
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 6/2/2002
Well. You certainly know how to surprise your readers. I did not see that coming at all, but it makes perfect sense.

Now I see what you mean about having more sympathy for Beren. In your world (and probably Tolkien's as well) it seems that everyone dies for love. It's only a question of when, and for which love. Whether or not it is romantic love almost doesn't matter.

It's like the way you describe that kiss - a lover's kiss, and yet not. And why, you are right, calling this story slash sort of misses the point.

I still can't stop being bothered by the oath business, though. The parallel with the Feanorians is just too strong - you show us how Finrod, like Maedhros, leads someone who loves him to his death because of an oath. Edrahil forgives, and seems willing to die, and perhaps is glad to die in the service of his beloved. But what it must have done to Finrod to know that he is responsible for Edrahil's death as well as his own.

As always, a beautiful story, powerfully written, emotionally disturbing. Tear-jerking, yes.
naltariel chapter 2 . 6/1/2002
Finch, ehm...you always makes me shed tears after reading your fics. ( thats why I am not Orcs. _). What can I say? this is beautiful and sad, as always. oh Poor thing, falling in love with Finrod. and how nice finrod was, to returned his kiss though he didn;t love him. He didnt want to hurt him or disgrace him! What a kind soul! Yes, he suffered greatly though he didn;t take part in kinslaying. Poor house of Finarfin: Finrod, Aegnor, Angrod, and perhaps Galadriel.

Once again... darn Beren! and everyone calles him hero!
erunyauve chapter 2 . 6/1/2002
*Not* my favorite part of The Silmarillion - it's somehow more horrifying to imagine these elves as they're picked off one by one, than it is to think of a slew of elves killed in battle. I was rather dreading the end, but you handled it well.
Furius chapter 2 . 6/1/2002
Luthien plays a part in this right? One more thing, though my Silmarillion memory is hazy of late, I seem to remember Finrod as Galadriel's brother, where's Galardriel then? What is happening elsewhere?
vorondis1 chapter 1 . 6/1/2002
Poor Edrahil - what has he done to deserve this? Following Finrod unto death, knowing he has no chance to be loved the way he wants to, and then being so horribly tempted by Sauron that he actually longs for the werewolf to tear him apart. But then, the Silmarillion is full of horror stories - little chance for the unwritten tales to have happy endings.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 2 . 6/1/2002
This is marvelous! Even at his lowest point, Finrod still retains his humility, and his compassion. That he could treat Edrahil so kindly, despite the sudden and surprising way he discovers Edrahil's secret, says more about his essential character than any mere words could. No wonder he spends so little time in Mandos after his death!

I'm very much looking forward to the final story in this series.
Nemis chapter 2 . 6/1/2002
This is absolutely marvellous...

It's just... The entire story is so very powerful, that it almost seems an insult to say that the last part of this chapter is more powerful than what came before...

We have come full circle, and despite the expectancy you already created at the start of the first chapter, I was certainly not prepared for this kind of intensity at the end...

Which only leaves me a gasp, applause, and a while to ponder all this...
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/31/2002
Very moving, especially Finrod's gesture of farewell to the sculpted tree and the passage describing how he stripped himself of crown, dignity, etc. You make it very easy to share Edrahil's fierce loyalty to him. In FOTR, I think it was Aragorn who said that every tale in middle-earth is sad, and that's really starting to hit home with me, through many of your stories. Great work, as usual.
Nemis chapter 1 . 5/31/2002
ArtanĂ¡ro... It sounds better than Rodnor, doesn't it? *g*

And are you secretly writing in the "son of Felagund" too? Maybe it's just me... My teachers say I see too much symbolism in stories anyway... ;)

One wonders where the line is drawn with these oaths... Barahir saved Finrod's life, only to let Beren take it away again...

Excuse me now, for I have to find a nice silent lil corner, and have a nice cry...
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/30/2002
yea, darn beren! he caused Finrod's death! oh you always makes me want to cry if you write about Finrod. well, since I am infatuated with him... I think more of him than the moral of the story. LOL sorry no intelligent review.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 5/29/2002
This business about oaths in the first age, I don't know...it's very hard to understand. 'redeeming my oath is my sole means of release.' Sounds almost Feanorian, and quite scary. How terrible that with all Finrod is doing he can't even respect himself. Beren doesn't come across real well here, being willing to drag his friends into torment for the sake of his love. No, love doesn't conquer all, and even when it does it leaves plenty of casualties in the battlefield.

Gil-galad is really cute. This is another advantage you get from your family tree - you get Gil-galad to be almost a son of Finrod, and take after him.