Reviews for Harry Potter: Game of the Year Edition
Aetherium21 chapter 2 . 5/12
Go Hagrid go!
Schazmen chapter 12 . 5/1
It's a shame you ended this story, in my opinion. While I don't think Ron is irredeemable or a complete asshole, that is a matter of interpretation and subjective opinions.

But this story had great potential, and seeing how much you've written since, I can only say I'm glad you used the experience from this to better yourself for the future.
Axccel chapter 2 . 2/6
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was the first book I ever read. I received it from my maternal grandmother when I was first learning to read and I was having a lot of trouble focusing on learning it. Originally, I had zero desire of any kind to read it and considered just putting it away and forgetting about it, but I felt that would be very disrespectful to the fact she had given me a gift and so I resolved to put my best effort into it out of respect for her. Basically, that book taught me how to read and I've been a bibliophile every since.

I think JK didn't think ahead when writing the books. And like you said, they were specifically for children. I think she ramped it up a bit upon realizing her books were extremely popular with young adults and even full adults as well. As a result, what at first seemed benign ended up being perceived by most of the fans as either idiocy or intentional sabotage on the part of Dumbledore. And Ron and his family drawing attention to themselves at the train station. Ron claiming the other compartments were full and generally being a disloyal jerk. Although to be fair that was only once and honestly when he did that (fourth year I mean) it really came out of the blue. There was a whole lot that already happened that would have worked up his jealousy if that was really part of his character.

Ron is really very stupid, though. He knows he's a bad student, craves to be successful like his brothers or even surpass them all, and yet he puts zero effort into it. Yet, he craves it enough that the freaking Mirror of Erised showed him being successful as his greatest desire but makes no attempt to act on making it come true. Of course, Harry follows along and while that is no doubt partly due to wanting to keep his friendship, he is also friends with Hermione so that doesn't really fly. So, as Obi-Wan said, who is the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows?

Hermione is just plain annoying.

Speaking of annoying, JK wrote Harry as a somewhat bad student. Constantly slacking off with Ron and then begging work from Hermione. It's freaking MAGIC and he's portrayed by JK as fascinated by it, yet he puts no effort into learning anything about it. He also makes no effort to learn about the Wizarding World he wants so much to be part of.
Dr Gero chapter 3 . 5/5/2021
Ah, my bad. I knew this was older but forgot it's listed as abandoned. I felt this had some potential so I wanted to focus on the positive next time. The way you weren't getting bogged down in the gamer-type statistics that so many gaming stories tend to was nice; the mechanics Can Be interesting but no one wants half a chapter to be a character sheet. Well some do, but you can just post the sheet elsewhere.
If the story had continued on I would have been really curious to explore the extras and determine how best to use the obliviate and if there's a pensieve feature. With the time spans involved in re-living his lives with no skip ability, I could see him reaching Groundhog Day levels of apathy and smartly using those features could minimize some of the dangers of re-living time. Granted that's probably too much for a relatively light tone fic (minus the heads on platters moments).
Thanks for taking the time to write this! I hope everything is going well for you, whatever you're up to.
Dr Gero chapter 3 . 5/5/2021
I don't know... did Harry pick a different Class or Subtype and I missed it? Or is this supposed to be the normal Harry still (or Hadrian, though wouldn't that make the title "Hadrian Potter: Game of the Year Edition"? On his in-story title screen too?). It just seems too much to do all the inheritance and pureblood tropes on top of the gaming elements without a specific "Lord Harry" subtype or similiar to explore. Because those are super fanon elements (even when this first came out those had been around) and trying to use that as a default setting feels like a very shaky foundation.
There's a lot of potential for creativity and fun here, some of the humor and lampshading is very entertaining if intentional, but if not, is a red flag and the "you can't bash someone when they're a t**t!" reasoning from last chapter had me shaking my head. I'm not even a Ron fan, the holes in that logic are just dizzying whenever I see it.
fuzzybananas chapter 9 . 3/16/2021
thx
Spidersauce chapter 12 . 11/2/2020
Is there a specific reason you're pushing mechanics repeatedly? "Because why not" is an absolute shit reason when there are so many other actually useful options. And you've done it twice now ;o
Hope you continue this at some point~
Spidersauce chapter 10 . 11/2/2020
Eh. If the game truly is set up to where if he doesn't meet some arbitrary stat checkand you've given every shred of example that this is in fact the casethen it IS the game that is at fault. Not Harry's fault deep down, or any of that. You showed that with Harry just being Harry he can talk back to Dumbledore and speak in front of the school, and claimed it was because the stat system had a bug. I get that that was likely just retconning that you were writing him without actually taking into consideration your stat system, but still. Story-wise, Harry is having his natural attributes straight up crippled by the game at this point. He wasn't too scared to face the troll in the slightest degree: he either is like canon Harry and will risk it all . . . Or is your Harry here who can literally save scum the troll fight until he stops messing up, worst case scenario. Courage doesn't even apply in the situation, so for him to be arbitrarily mind controlled? The game is purely at fault.
Spidersauce chapter 8 . 11/2/2020
Really hope this isn't following Fallout style gaming. Where he can practice his magic infinitely and never improve because he hasn't leveled up and assigned stats.
Spidersauce chapter 5 . 11/2/2020
You know, I'm not sure I remember any evidence that the hat can actually read minds/memories. It reads personalities, and surface thoughts directed at the hat itself. But I don't think there's any canonical evidence for it to be able to tell Harry is reincarnated here.
Spidersauce chapter 4 . 11/2/2020
Your take on Clawhammer is related to something that's always bothered me in fics. They set Harry up as some mega multi-millionaire or billionaire, and then they have his personal account manager be a complete and utter fuck. Rude, disrespectful, outright dickish. For a people who value money so much, businesslike, ruthless perhaps, why the fuck would you intentionally alienate your client? I'm fine not having them be deferential or even all that nice, but going the other direction doesn't work either. I liked your version of it, he was rushed and a bit impatient perhaps, acknowledging he was dealing with an 11-year-old and didn't focus on Harry acting like a child. But above all he was helpful to his rich client. Encouraging repeat business is practically rule number one of business lol.
Spidersauce chapter 3 . 11/1/2020
I never understand, personally, why authors going the Time travel/re-do route have him keep dialogue the same like that. Seems to me like Olly would wax on about it being curious and Harry should just ignore him and ask for the price, or similar. Why does every single one ever have to have Olly reiterate his little speech?
Spidersauce chapter 2 . 11/1/2020
Dumbledore/Ron bashing to me is having them stubbornly not learn anything just because that would make you not able to continue bashing them. In Canon their characters are legit terrible, so authors actually acknowledging that in the first few books in their fanfiction is fine. But as an example, the fics where Ron gets his shit kicked in six times a year and STILL comes back for more with the exact same rhetoric no matter how many times Harry has a badass moment explaining in ever so many ways why Ron is being an idiot. Year after year. THAT is bashing. Pointing out that they are both terrible people, and writing that, does not constitute bashing in my mind. So I hope you make that distinction to some degree in this story. Dumbles is old and set in his ways and the most arrogant motherfucker in the story, so it makes more sense for him not to change. But young impressionable Ronald Weasley really has no business being such an unchanging fact of life in so many HP fics.
CrimsonHouse chapter 11 . 8/2/2020
I would like to not that the whole witch thing is not so much as if the person had magic but more if the person was worshipping Satan to gain that magic. As such, the internal power source shown in Harry Potter wouldn't be quite the problem so many people seem to think it is. The witchcraft that's bad would involve things like demon worship and possession. Essentially, what you have classified as Black Magic.
Hallowtide chapter 12 . 4/18/2020
A shame this is abandoned this is very interesting
1,524 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »